Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Options
    also wanted to use at weekends etc. 
    Then a hybrid bike would be fine.

Make sure it’s from a reputable brand though. There are some really crap bikes out there at the entry level. Expect to pay at least £400.
  • Options
    iainment said:

Make sure it’s from a reputable brand though. There are some really crap bikes out there at the entry level. Expect to pay at least £400.
    Not too sure about that. When I first started out I spent 180 quid on a hybrid from Decathlon and it was fine until I decided I liked riding - then flogged it for 100 quid to put towards a 'proper' bike. For my money, there's no sense dropping 400 quid on something that you might find after a few rides you don't enjoy - resale value on cheap bikes is pretty pants, you'd get a better percentage back on a dirt cheap one than you would a 'medium cheap' one. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    iainment said:

Not too sure about that. When I first started out I spent 180 quid on a hybrid from Decathlon and it was fine until I decided I liked riding - then flogged it for 100 quid to put towards a 'proper' bike. For my money, there's no sense dropping 400 quid on something that you might find after a few rides you don't enjoy - resale value on cheap bikes is pretty pants, you'd get a better percentage back on a dirt cheap one than you would a 'medium cheap' one. Just my opinion.
    Their cheapest now is £279.
  • Options
    Yeah - tbf this was about 7/8 years ago
  • Options
    @palarsehater
    do you intend taking the bike on the train with you?
  • Options
    Pain in the balls of my feet after an hour or so of cycling.

Causes? Saddle too low, shoes/insoles not fitting properly, something else?

Help.
  • Options
    Generally your shoes. If it's 'hot foot' (Google it!) it's usually related to your shoes or cleats. You using MTB cleats? If so, for longer rides, spd-sl or keo are a better bet.

If you've got cheap shoes buy some better ones (usually you get what you pay for in cycling shoes - cheap ones will not let your feet 'breathe' properly and will not flex in the correct places). Paradoxically, if you have got expensive shoes but they're carbon soled, this can cause a problem as well because of the lack of flex (more efficient for power transfer and faster, but harder on the feet than plastic soled ones)

Finally, look at a bike fit, specifically for your shoes. It's possible you might need inserts - which could make a massive difference - but try the other two things first cos they're easier and cheaper 
  • Options
    Generally your shoes. If it's 'hot foot' (Google it!) it's usually related to your shoes or cleats. You using MTB cleats? If so, for longer rides, spd-sl or keo are a better bet.

If you've got cheap shoes buy some better ones (usually you get what you pay for in cycling shoes - cheap ones will not let your feet 'breathe' properly and will not flex in the correct places). Paradoxically, if you have got expensive shoes but they're carbon soled, this can cause a problem as well because of the lack of flex (more efficient for power transfer and faster, but harder on the feet than plastic soled ones)

Finally, look at a bike fit, specifically for your shoes. It's possible you might need inserts - which could make a massive difference - but try the other two things first cos they're easier and cheaper 
    I was thinking bike fit but will look at my shoes. Currently I wear a cheapish pair of Shimano shoes with mtb cleats.

Thanks.
  • Options
    I’m cycling to the toolbox today, wish me luck....
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    What on Earth makes you want to do that? You looking to get your bike nicked? 😁
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Impossible to get a bike at the moment as everywhere is sold out but I'm going to get myself on a waiting list to get an upgrade on my current bike. Budget of about £750 for a hybrid - I'm thinking Trek FX3 : anyone got any experience with Trek or other hybrids in this price bracket? 

I'm planning on using it to commute 8 miles each way 2-3 times a week plus a longer (20-30 mile) ride once a weekend. It's hilly where I live so weight and gearing is a factor. 
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Hehe, I didn’t get off I’m not daft!
    During furlough-boredom I’ve decided to ride to each of the London grounds, So far I’ve done  Chelsea, Fulham, QPR, AFC Wimbledon(present and future), Arsenal and Shithurst Park so did the Spanners today as another not too far one and it was threatening rain....Not looking forward to Dagenham and Redbridge though 😞😬😓
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Fumbluff said:
    During furlough-boredom I’ve decided to ride to each of the London grounds, So far I’ve done  Chelsea, Fulham, QPR, AFC Wimbledon(present and future), Arsenal and Shithurst Park so did the Spanners today as another not too far one and it was threatening rain....Not looking forward to Dagenham and Redbridge though 😞😬😓
    I hope you cleared both nostrils as you went past.
  • Options
    Jints said:
    Impossible to get a bike at the moment as everywhere is sold out but I'm going to get myself on a waiting list to get an upgrade on my current bike. Budget of about £750 for a hybrid - I'm thinking Trek FX3 : anyone got any experience with Trek or other hybrids in this price bracket? 

I'm planning on using it to commute 8 miles each way 2-3 times a week plus a longer (20-30 mile) ride once a weekend. It's hilly where I live so weight and gearing is a factor. 
    Specialized Sirrus. I’ve had several in various  specs and they’ve all been excellent.
  • Options
    Thanks Iainment - that was the other option on my shortlist. From reading specs etc, the two seemed pretty similar but had a few concerns about gearing on the Sirrus for my hilly neighbourhood. 
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Fumbluff said:
    I'm planning to do that but in one go, don't go to Dagenham and justify it by saying only league clubs.
  • Options
    Jints said:
    Thanks Iainment - that was the other option on my shortlist. From reading specs etc, the two seemed pretty similar but had a few concerns about gearing on the Sirrus for my hilly neighbourhood. 
    When I lived in Kerry my Sirrus coped well with the hills. And there are loads there! I still use it every year, but this year, for the Ring of Kerry charity cycle, 180k of loveliness. It copes brilliantly with that.

I’m sure all reputable brands are very good and similar in spec. Whatever your local bike shop recommends should be ideal for your needs.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Fumbluff said:
    At least you can do Wet Sham (both) and Orient at the same time
  • Options
    iainment said:

I was thinking bike fit but will look at my shoes. Currently I wear a cheapish pair of Shimano shoes with mtb cleats.

Thanks.
    Can anyone recommend a bike fit place in or near South East London?
  • Options
    iainment said:
    iainment said:

Thanks.
    Try Elliot at cyclemoore. If he can't do it he'll probably know someone who can.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:
    iainment said:

Thanks.
    Try Elliot at cyclemoore. If he can't do it he'll probably know someone who can.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Fumbluff said:
    At least you can do Wet Sham (both) and Orient at the same time
    Yeah, I’m being a bit anal though and doing them individually just to string it out a bit more...
  • Options
    iainment said:
    iainment said:

Thanks.
    Cadence Performance in Crystal Palace
  • Options
    iainment said:
    iainment said:

Thanks.
    iainment said:
    iainment said:

Thanks.
    Thanks
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Fumbluff said:
    Fumbluff said:
    I'm planning to do that but in one go, don't go to Dagenham and justify it by saying only league clubs.
    Thanks that’s a good idea although slightly nullified by the fact that I’d forgotten about Watford entirely so I’ve struck a 42-mile round trip from my todo list but replaced it with a 46 mile one 😞
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Fumbluff said:
    Fumbluff said:
    Thanks that’s a good idea although slightly nullified by the fact that I’d forgotten about Watford entirely so I’ve struck a 42-mile round trip from my todo list but replaced it with a 46 mile one 😞
    Shit I forgot about them. Not really London though is it?
  • Options
    Jints said:
    Cycle Surgery have a closing down sale that might be worth looking at.
  • Options
    Longest ride of the year today. 76 miles to Ramsgate. Pissed down from Rochester to Faversham.

I hate show offs