Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is Lockdown easing gradually?

Seems to me that every day I take my exercise quota walking the dog that there are more and more people out there doing whatever it is they are doing. The weather helps but there is noticeably more activity. Also garden centres, Screwfix, B&Q are operating click and collect services for non essential stuff like bedding plants. Online delivery is rife for everything from wallpaper to whisky (I’ve done both). Rightly or wrongly, Dartford B&Q is to open from Thursday this week with a limit of 100 people instore at any one time.  The A2 seems busier by the day.  Is it just me or are people quietly and slowly returning to stuff without fuss?

Comments

• Seems to me that every day I take my exercise quota walking the dog that there are more and more people out there doing whatever it is they are doing. The weather helps but there is noticeably more activity. Also garden centres, Screwfix, B&Q are operating click and collect services for non essential stuff like bedding plants. Online delivery is rife for everything from wallpaper to whisky (I’ve done both). Rightly or wrongly, Dartford B&Q is to open from Thursday this week with a limit of 100 people instore at any one time.  The A2 seems busier by the day.  Is it just me or are people quietly and slowly returning to stuff without fuss?
    When they shouldn't be?
  • lockdown never properly started. 

Why is b and q dartford allowed to open and why 100 people. That seems a lot to me! Why is buying paint deemed as essential but yet my business remains shut? This has put me in a bad mood now!

I don’t agree with Click and collect but that should happen first and remain in place.

letting people do that will not slow the rate and will keep the schools and other business closed longer.
    Yup. Hard to disagree mate. 
  • edited April 2020
    Social distancing thread version 2
  • Very tasteless "joke" featuring Abbott doing the rounds on the subject. Smacks of racism.
  • I think that much like how the "lockdown" was more or less instigated by the public/private individuals, the breaking of the "lockdown" will be without the government sanctioning it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• It certainly doesn´t feel like it here in Spain: we´ve been inside now for over five weeks with (for me) just one visit to the shop a week, no garden or balcony. Happy to do it if it contributes to this situation improving though.

@CharltonMadrid do you mean you do not have a garden or balcony or that Spain is not even allowing people to go in their gardens?
  • It certainly doesn´t feel like it here in Spain: we´ve been inside now for over five weeks with (for me) just one visit to the shop a week, no garden or balcony. Happy to do it if it contributes to this situation improving though.

@CharltonMadrid do you mean you do not have a garden or balcony or that Spain is not even allowing people to go in their gardens?
    Unfortunately for me it's the former! 
  • Seems to me that every day I take my exercise quota walking the dog that there are more and more people out there doing whatever it is they are doing. The weather helps but there is noticeably more activity. Also garden centres, Screwfix, B&Q are operating click and collect services for non essential stuff like bedding plants. Online delivery is rife for everything from wallpaper to whisky (I’ve done both). Rightly or wrongly, Dartford B&Q is to open from Thursday this week with a limit of 100 people instore at any one time.  The A2 seems busier by the day.  Is it just me or are people quietly and slowly returning to stuff without fuss?
    Quite possibly/probably, which is why the government have been at pains not to encourage this in the last week, by announcing the plans to come out of lock down.
  • edited April 2020
    Seems to me that every day I take my exercise quota walking the dog that there are more and more people out there doing whatever it is they are doing. The weather helps but there is noticeably more activity. Also garden centres, Screwfix, B&Q are operating click and collect services for non essential stuff like bedding plants. Online delivery is rife for everything from wallpaper to whisky (I’ve done both). Rightly or wrongly, Dartford B&Q is to open from Thursday this week with a limit of 100 people instore at any one time.  The A2 seems busier by the day.  Is it just me or are people quietly and slowly returning to stuff without fuss?

...............................Certainly more people around here walking about, and although most people are  respecting the 2 metre rules, some individuals do not  seem capable of doing so! We are lucky being down here by the coast, Hythe has lots of open spaces and parks, it's one of the reasons we moved down here. Not sure about some of the building companies doing work on  building new houses and extensions on rather large houses we noticed on our walk yesterday, hardly essential, and certainly against the 'spirit' of  the guidelines, appreciate that it might be possible to social distancing  on certain sites, but both my sons are in the building trade, and neither of them are working. I am not talking about someone needing there gas boiler fixed, or  even serviced, or getting  things done on safety grounds, but putting in artificial turf and working on a detached garage to park  the fourth car is not really on in my opinion. I wonder if the  workmen really want to do this, but are too scarred to tell the employer  no.  Personally my job these days is looking after my two grandchildren  2-3 days each week, but have not done so, miss them like crazy, but speak most days on zoom. They are just toddlers, its the granddaughters birthday in 3 weeks, going to find it hard not to  see her!. Just hoping the lockdown is relaxed.
  • Think things quite noticeably are tbh. 

Know of tradesman who have been home last few weeks returning this week or next week, plus little soundbytes from what other families are doing engaging with others (which they still think is within the rules) but is a bit nearer to contact than what they have been doing etc..
  • All governments (so this is not party political) use leaks and rumour to test public opinion. Perhaps an example of this was the rumour that schools would re-open in May - the general public response was negative so out comes Gove (who is chairing a cabinet committee who are looking at how best to ease the lockdown) to deny it. Expect more of the same and ultimately the lockdown will ease in direct correlation to public opinion - politicians above all else are focused on votes!
    There is a schism in government - those that are focusing on the economy (lead by Sunak) and those focusing on public health (lead by Hancock).
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:
    All governments (so this is not party political) use leaks and rumour to test public opinion. Perhaps an example of this was the rumour that schools would re-open in May - the general public response was negative so out comes Gove (who is chairing a cabinet committee who are looking at how best to ease the lockdown) to deny it. Expect more of the same and ultimately the lockdown will ease in direct correlation to public opinion - politicians above all else are focused on votes!
    There is a schism in government - those that are focusing on the economy (lead by Sunak) and those focusing on public health (lead by Hancock).
    Teacher I know from a local borough said last week they were being prepared for a return to school by mid-May. Can’t see it In anyway myself but that’s what he was told last week. 
  • bobmunro said:
    All governments (so this is not party political) use leaks and rumour to test public opinion. Perhaps an example of this was the rumour that schools would re-open in May - the general public response was negative so out comes Gove (who is chairing a cabinet committee who are looking at how best to ease the lockdown) to deny it. Expect more of the same and ultimately the lockdown will ease in direct correlation to public opinion - politicians above all else are focused on votes!
    Teacher I know from a local borough said last week they were being prepared for a return to school by mid-May. Can’t see it In anyway myself but that’s what he was told last week. 
    I believe that was a government leak to 'test the waters' and see how it would be received
  • I’ve been out to the chemist this morning. The amount of builders, local authority reactive maintenance people, road workers, all working closely together or sitting in the same van, b&q opening which will surely lead to wickes, screw fix etc following. It’s crazy, we might as well send the kids back to school tomorrow. 

the amount of people out and about working in non essential jobs is crazy, it’s making me think about when I start pushing for work and earning again
  • We were walking our two dogs at local park, but there were always lots of people there - at weekend I made decision to put them in the Land Rover and we drive to Lullingstone Golf Course - much better in terms not being anywhere near anyone else - I guess technically that is not essential travel

In terms of slide towards people being lax about lockdown, the traffic is still incredibly light - it’s brilliant - seeing the M25 at 5 in the evening with hardly any traffic is incredible

I do agree though that there seems to be a gradual increase in trades going back to work, sharing vans etc

They are putting a new roof on the school behind my house and they have not stopped working at all - there doesn’t seem to be any social distancing either
  • In Switzerland schools are returning week commencing 27 April and many Offices from 11May as things stand.

So far during this episode we've been about 3 weeks behind but have followed them pretty much from my observations.

Switzerland, unlike us, has not let people in as far as I know or out. If they have it's been very controlled and restricted, unlike us with people coming in whereby they literally jump off the aeroplane at Heathrow, or wherever, and go about their business.

Snap, but in London and no idea how many weeks now, 4?!
  • The next stage here is that next week children (up to the age of 12) are going to be let out with parents for a short time each day. There is also some talk about older people being allowed out for walks as well, but apart from that it looks like any easing of other restrictions are pretty far off.
  • bobmunro said:
    My mum's a teacher and she's been told it's unlikely to be back til September. Private school in Surrey. 
  • Other countries may be relaxing, but then their restrictions were often tighter than ours anyway
    bobmunro said:
    It's entirely correct that governments have to balance the extremes of "C19 is all that matters" and "getting the economy moving again"

It's taxation from economic activity which pays for our public services such as the NHS, and even from a health point of view the current lockdown will have an adverse impact on fitness and mental health.