Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Lockdown easing gradually?

Comments

• Options
    Just a meaningless rant as I am getting the hump and missing the pub; not at this particular hour I must point out!
    I was out with my one year old  granddaughter and this very fast moving jogger came towards us.
    She gave us no consideration at all and mad no effort to avoid us. Very difficult for me to do so with a buggy. Cheers.
    I am pleased that I still have a decent collection of swear words.

• Options
    Every Wednesday I have to drive to my 84 year old mum to do her weekly grocery shopping. I noticed yesterday that the traffic between Erith and Dartford was much more than it has been since the lockdown started. Almost back to normal I'd say.

• Options
    CafcSCP said:

It is noticeable btw the increase of dog poo that’s not picked up at the moment.
    bloody disgusting 
    Twice in the last 10 days I’ve come home from park  with trainers caked in dog sh!t. Also one of my kids. Little angers me more than a smelly and largely unsuccessful session of twig flicking at trainer sole grooves.

really wished their was a way selfish dog owners could be caught and fined more heavily. It’s disgusting. 
    You came home from the park with your trainers caked in one of your kids' shit? Disgusting.

:- )
  • Options
    Every Wednesday I have to drive to my 84 year old mum to do her weekly grocery shopping. I noticed yesterday that the traffic between Erith and Dartford was much more than it has been since the lockdown started. Almost back to normal I'd say.

Could you not get it for her mate?
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Being a glass half empty person.
    Im probably doing what i will be doing for the rest of the year.
    When they ease this lockdown it will be basically be for people to go back tk work those that can.
    Some might but if they were to announce  you can see family and friends will be rushing round there giving everyone hugs ,kisses and handshakes.
    Tbh ive never understood some of the lockdown rules.
    I can go to the supermarket once ,well twice a week if getting shopping for others but cant meet up with one family or friend member for a walk keeping 2 metres apart.
    For me i dont need the government telling me what i can and cant do i can make them decisions for myself.

Could you not take your hourly exercise at the same time and place, whilst maintaining 2m distance?
  • Options
    Imart77 said:
    There were definitely more people out today doing my weekly shopping, both pedestrians and cars. The roadworks were also back on. I've also had my  first two work contacts for six weeks. People's attitudes are definitely shifting partly because schools partially start going back on the 11th May and so I think this has changed the mindset.
    Meanwhile my wife was treating some COVID19 'suspects' today again.
    Jimmy, no way will schools be back on the 11th May, even partly. The talking of social distancing in schools I find ridiculous and I think the government know this too. There’s a long road ahead with this and I think people are going to have to come to terms with that. I fear if we don’t we will indeed be back to square one. 

I might be wrong but I think schools will be shut until September as the government scramble to find a vaccine or at least a more successful treatment. If they open any earlier then I think the suggestion about herd immunity being the plan could be true but this could see hundreds of thousands dead by the end. 
    I don’t think he is in England, hence the confusion regarding ‘back to school’. 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    This is regulation 6 of the Act:

A Statutory Instrument was enacted yesterday (without parliamentary scrutiny or any fanfare) that inserted 'or be outside' after the word 'leave' in 6.1

This sort of thing will continue as/when any easing takes place and it is likely that adherence to the regulations will be clamped down on to a greater extent.

The transition, when it begins, will look a hell of a lot like S.Korea - the Government are planning to replicate their approach, in particular in surveillance activity and contact tracing. Of course this could be argued to be a bit late but the reality is that the current lockdown is really just getting us back to the point where we should have started it anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am 'friends' with someone on Facebook - she lives at Iwade and has driven to Minster on Isle of Sheppey for a walk. This is what she says about the reason she has gone there: 

'They changed the rules last Thursday and you are now allowed to drive to exercise. First time we’ve done it as well. I said to xxxxx before we left that if there was lots of people then we wouldn’t stay there. There was people walking dogs and riding bikes but they were so far away from us. Everyone we saw was really respectful and careful, not even letting dogs mix.
    People have to get out and have a change of scenery or we will all go insane! X. I
    t has to be in reason though. You can’t drive an hour to walk for 15 minutes for example. Your exercise has to be longer then what the journey will be.
    First time we’ve been out of the village for 5 weeks it was lovely.'

I'm not aware of any such changes, is anyone else?

• Options
    I'm coming to the conclusion of you're following good social distancing rules then your chances of catching it are greatly reduced. So we're following that remit
    If people want to take chances then that's up to them.
     I'm fed up with getting all het up about it, o just hope I don't come into contact with them.
  • Options
    I find this strange because it suggests that if you drive for an hour to the coast, it is okay as long as you  walk for more than an hour when you get there. I really can't believe that this is true. I can't find it on the Govt. website.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    First time outside the house for 42 days for children from this Sunday and they will definitely be happy for the fresh air and movement. Us adults could really do with being able to walk for a bit but I don´t think there´s going to be any chance of that. There´s definitely been a lot of talk recently of easing the restrictions to let kids out for a bit but quite surprisingly to me very little complaint or resistance from the population in general about being totally locked down, and I don´t think there´s been anything much about people´s mental health. Everyone seems surprisingly compliant and stoic about it, which I didn´t necessarily think were general characteristics of the Spanish.
  • Options
    I've still been getting the train into work. I was one of only three people on the first train into work last week. Due to the train engineering works last weekend I drove. I don't drive to work very often. On my way home after my night shift the traffic out of central London at about 07:00 heading along the A2 coast bound was quite quiet. However, the traffic into London was really busy. Were all those people really essential workers?
  • Options
    I have been driving as a charity volunteer every day since lockdown, and from the Tuesday after Easter, every day has got busier and busier on the roads. 
    The punters have had enough of lockdown, and the next B/Hol weekend will be nothing short of mass civil disobedience. 
  • Options
    First time outside the house for 42 days for children from this Sunday and they will definitely be happy for the fresh air and movement. Us adults could really do with being able to walk for a bit but I don´t think there´s going to be any chance of that. There´s definitely been a lot of talk recently of easing the restrictions to let kids out for a bit but quite surprisingly to me very little complaint or resistance from the population in general about being totally locked down, and I don´t think there´s been anything much about people´s mental health. Everyone seems surprisingly compliant and stoic about it, which I didn´t necessarily think were general characteristics of the Spanish.
    Really impressive adherence from the Spanish if they are all like you. Could never imagine it being followed to that level here in a million years.
  • Options
    mart77 said:
    There were definitely more people out today doing my weekly shopping, both pedestrians and cars. The roadworks were also back on. I've also had my  first two work contacts for six weeks. People's attitudes are definitely shifting partly because schools partially start going back on the 11th May and so I think this has changed the mindset.
    Meanwhile my wife was treating some COVID19 'suspects' today again.
    Jimmy, no way will schools be back on the 11th May, even partly. The talking of social distancing in schools I find ridiculous and I think the government know this too. There’s a long road ahead with this and I think people are going to have to come to terms with that. I fear if we don’t we will indeed be back to square one. 

I might be wrong but I think schools will be shut until September as the government scramble to find a vaccine or at least a more successful treatment. If they open any earlier then I think the suggestion about herd immunity being the plan could be true but this could see hundreds of thousands dead by the end. 
    Might be wrong but I think @jimmymelrose lives in France. I know he used to so could well be different to here.
  • Options
    CafcSCP said:

It is noticeable btw the increase of dog poo that’s not picked up at the moment.
    bloody disgusting 
    Twice in the last 10 days I’ve come home from park  with trainers caked in dog sh!t. Also one of my kids. Little angers me more than a smelly and largely unsuccessful session of twig flicking at trainer sole grooves.

really wished their was a way selfish dog owners could be caught and fined more heavily. It’s disgusting. 
    I had someone tell me the council had phone calls to say the dog bag dispensers along the beach hadn't been filled so people had no choice but to leave it when their dog took a dump! Thats the mentality its everyone else's problem...................... I think I pay £25 for 2000 bags there are no excuses.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can imagine it infuriates responsible dog owners like yourself more than it does me seeing so much of it about. Just wish I wasn’t so proficient in landing in it
  • Options
    Can imagine it infuriates responsible dog owners like yourself more than it does me seeing so much of it about. Just wish I wasn’t so proficient in landing in it
    My wife is the same, her feet are like magnets for animal shit. My niece seems to have inherited this trait also, this is something that only needs to be learned once before it's the obligatory shoe check everytime either of them goes near the door
  • Options
    Just means you've got a solid running style....head up, eyes level, looking ahead, not looking down.......
  • Options
    I've been cycling on my turbo trainer since lockdown, but felt a bit claustrophobic this week so got out for a cycle this morning.

Essentially a loop from Eltham via Orpington and back. There were obviously people out, but having cycled loads, the roads were as dead as I've seen them. 
  • Options
    I'm lucky enough to live within a couple of hundred yards of the Thames in Berkshire. My next door neighbour and I both have inflatable kayaks which are good fun on sunny days that we are having now, and a decent form of exercise.

He's planning on taking his out tomorrow, thinks it is a permitted form of exercise. I'd love to do the same, but my understanding is that all river activity is off limits at the moment so as not to put further strain on the NHS through getting into trouble. A real shame as it's perfect on the river now, especially with no motor boats, and it's as about an isolated form of physical activity as you can get. But I'll be doing the right thing and sitting in the garden rather than going for a paddle. I'm interested to see how he gets on though.

• Options
    IdleHans said:
    I'm lucky enough to live within a couple of hundred yards of the Thames in Berkshire. My next door neighbour and I both have inflatable kayaks which are good fun on sunny days that we are having now, and a decent form of exercise.

He's planning on taking his out tomorrow, thinks it is a permitted form of exercise. I'd love to do the same, but my understanding is that all river activity is off limits at the moment so as not to put further strain on the NHS through getting into trouble. A real shame as it's perfect on the river now, especially with no motor boats, and it's as about an isolated form of physical activity as you can get. But I'll be doing the right thing and sitting in the garden rather than going for a paddle. I'm interested to see how he gets on though.

Combine the two activities.

General Composites and Recreation  Airtech Advanced Materials Group

• Options
    For a while now the dog poo on the pavements where I live has become more noticeable, on a walk yesterday down one street there were 5/6 separate spots which I couldn't believe.

These dog owners give the good ones a bad name.