Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Grand National 2020

12346»

Comments

• edited April 2020
    Magic of Light, Lake View Lad and Crievehill are the only horses I can’t get money on with my restricted Betfair account... makes you wonder.
  • Gone for Burrows Saint win only

Alpha Obeaux e/w

Saint Xavier e/w

As its virtual I haven't really followed much , half looked at jockey/trainer, form but going with the gut.

• Obviously I'm a firm believer that an algorithm can work well in the Grand National - albeit no model is a crystal ball.

I won't be betting on how ITV's calls it (and certainly won't be tweaking my model as a result) but, for what it's worth and with the ground presumably drying up to be Good to Soft, these would have been my model's ratings and my 6 e/w bets:

Winning Calibre (equal rating):
    • Elegant Escape
    • Magic Of Light
    • Kimberlite Candy
    Strong Place Potential (equal rating):
    • Anibale Fly
    • Yala Enki
    • Ramses De Teillee
    Next Best (equal rating):
    • Ballyoptic 
    • Any Second Now
    Enjoy the "race" folks.
     All profits going to the NHS mate.
  • Grand National Facts
    1970-1989  12 horses die
    1990-2010  17 horses die...this is the period fences are made smaller and the width of the ditches reduced
    2011-2019   3 horses die....this is when 90 yards are reduced on the run to the first fence,jockeys can’t remount and run off areas around every fence are introduced so loose horses have somewhere to go.
    In my opinion all the the do Gooders achieved by making the fences smaller is make the race more unsafe and resulted in more horse deaths.Ive spoken too many trainers and jockeys and they say it’s the speed that causes more problems and the reduction in size of the fences caused more speed hence rise in deaths.
    As for today’s virtual race I would have no interest in it whatsoever if it wasn’t for the money going to the wonderful NHS so because of that I will be placing £80 on the following horses with any winnings going to the NHS too.
    Kimberlite Candy
    Any Second Now
    Burrows Saint
    Ballyoptic
  • edited April 2020
    Obviously I'm a firm believer that an algorithm can work well in the Grand National - albeit no model is a crystal ball.

I won't be betting on how ITV's calls it (and certainly won't be tweaking my model as a result) but, for what it's worth and with the ground presumably drying up to be Good to Soft, these would have been my model's ratings and my 6 e/w bets:

Winning Calibre (equal rating):
    • Elegant Escape
    • Magic Of Light
    • Kimberlite Candy
    Strong Place Potential (equal rating):
    • Anibale Fly
    • Yala Enki
    • Ramses De Teillee
    Next Best (equal rating):
    • Ballyoptic 
    • Any Second Now
    Enjoy the "race" folks.
     All profits going to the NHS mate.
    Indeed and since posting that I've backed all of my top 6 e/w.
    Any winnings, I'll be donating to charity.
    Good luck all.

Good man.

My kids are all over it. They can't wait to give their winnings to the doctor's and nurses should they win.
    It's hard enough to fill the day so this will help.
    Another small mercy in these difficult times.

Good luck all.
  • We do a family sweepstake every year and this morning continued the tradition via WhatsApp Video. Was great fun and ten of us aged from 9 to 95 now have our allocated four horses. 

Looking forward to it this afternoon (even if the 9yr old conducting the draw managed to pull Tiger Roll our for himself!)
  • edited April 2020
    Red Rum wins the Virtual Race of Champions. Manifesto in second, Tiger Roll third. 4th Reynoldstown and 5th Don’t Push It
  • Who programmed the horses jumping, very strange?
  • 10 ew on Potters, get in there!! 
  • Sponsored links:

• 1st Potters Corner
    2nd Walk in the Mill
    3rd Any Second Now
    4th Tiger Roll
    5th Burrows Saint
  • cafcpolo said:
    10 ew on Potters, get in there!! 
    Thought it was £10 max bet?
  • cafcpolo said:
    10 ew on Potters, get in there!! 
    Thought it was £10 max bet?
    £10 win or £10 e/w were the max
  • edited April 2020
    Quite enjoyed that, bit weird though - calling the jockey the youngest winner in x years when in reality he's sitting at home in his pyjamas etc 
  • Sponsored links:

• Joking aside, that was great fun.

Me thinks the bookies with their NHS charity links encouraging interest in this have generated an income future for the next couple of months. Expect this to be rolled out now.
  • Joking aside, that was great fun.

Me thinks the bookies with their NHS charity links encouraging interest in this have generated an income future for the next couple of months. Expect this to be rolled out now.

Virtual racing (or cartoon racing as I call it) has been part of their product for getting on 20 years, and we're taking a fair bit on it right now as well!
    All that time ago I remember being given a briefing on it as it was being developed, and remember laughing out loud! I recall saying that we'll never take a penny on that. How wrong was I?

• rina said:
    hope no one backed Tiger Roll. Expecting any horse to race that course twice in 10 minutes is a bit much but a 3rd and a 4th is pretty decent
    To be fair he could probably go reasonably easy against horses that were 100 years old.  And dead.
  • edited April 2020
    Well Mrs AFKA can put away the cruise brochures...

F*** you Peanuts :-) 

Oh well. Back to the drawing board    :'(  

;) 
  • Well Mrs AFKA can put away the cruise brochures...

F*** you Peanuts :-) 

Oh well. Back to the drawing board    :'(  

;) 

I think that runner may be disqualified for failing to weigh-in.
  • bobmunro said:
    Joking aside, that was great fun.

Virtual racing (or cartoon racing as I call it) has been part of their product for getting on 20 years, and we're taking a fair bit on it right now as well!
    All that time ago I remember being given a briefing on it as it was being developed, and remember laughing out loud! I recall saying that we'll never take a penny on that. How wrong was I?

Mug punters will always be mug punters. 

Thought the virtual race was awful, but I hope that it made bundles for the good causes. 
    I don't know who does the programming but so many horses were shown running in a completely alien way it was ridiculous. The only surprise was that Woody from Toy Story, riding Bullseye, didn't finish strongly to win the race on the line!
  • edited April 2020
    I thought it was quite good, and it’ll get better every year I imagine. Half our street took part in a WhatApp group sweepstake. Something to pass the time :-)
  • Anna Kissed should be happy.