Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Life in the 60’s SE18

Not sure if this has been posted before. If it has, feel free to delete 

https://www.londonsscreenarchives.org.uk/title/182/

Comments

• Yes, this has had a couple of airings before but it's always good to watch it again. The match shown is Charlton vs Norwich Apr 64, and has some lovely shots of The Valley.
  • I grew up in SE18 in the 1960s. 2 up 2 down in Oliver Street off Maxey Road near the Matchless factory. The area was flattened in 1968, breaking up communities. Went to Earl Rise primary school. Would be interesting to share memories with anyone else from the same area and era.
  • Ann street me, Also Earl Rise. Mr Donnelly my teacher, lovely man. 
  • Remember the boot cupboard?  Mr Saunders who used to knee pupils up the arse. Mrs Poulter and her holidays to Asia Minor. Spud Taylor. Mr Donnelly was indeed a real star teacher. The sports field at Swingate Lane. The green coach that took us there... and to Plumstead Baths. When were you there and who were your mates?
  • Born in Calderwood Street just up the hill from Woolwich Police Station and the baths and then moved to Kingsman Street, opposite the George pub. Mulgrave Primary School for me.
  • I grew up in SE18 in the 1960s. 2 up 2 down in Oliver Street off Maxey Road near the Matchless factory. The area was flattened in 1968, breaking up communities. Went to Earl Rise primary school. Would be interesting to share memories with anyone else from the same area and era.
    Was at Earl Rise 63-68
  • T_C_E said:
    Ann street me, Also Earl Rise. Mr Donnelly my teacher, lovely man. 
    Snap, snap and Mr Donnelly was a lovely man.

Although Mrs Poulter was my teacher.
  • Remember the boot cupboard?  Mr Saunders who used to knee pupils up the arse. Mrs Poulter and her holidays to Asia Minor. Spud Taylor. Mr Donnelly was indeed a real star teacher. The sports field at Swingate Lane. The green coach that took us there... and to Plumstead Baths. When were you there and who were your mates?
    Errol ? 
    Stephen Hart 
  • bobmunro said:
    I grew up in SE18 in the 1960s. 2 up 2 down in Oliver Street off Maxey Road near the Matchless factory. The area was flattened in 1968, breaking up communities. Went to Earl Rise primary school. Would be interesting to share memories with anyone else from the same area and era.
    Was at Earl Rise 63-68
    About the same time as me Bob.
  • T_C_E said:
    bobmunro said:
    I grew up in SE18 in the 1960s. 2 up 2 down in Oliver Street off Maxey Road near the Matchless factory. The area was flattened in 1968, breaking up communities. Went to Earl Rise primary school. Would be interesting to share memories with anyone else from the same area and era.
    Was at Earl Rise 63-68
    We must have known each other then, Ray. It wasn’t a big school was it?
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:
    T_C_E said:
    bobmunro said:
    Was at Earl Rise 63-68
    I was normally outside the heads room with my mum, we might have met there! 😂😂
  • edited March 2020
    Born in Calderwood Street just up the hill from Woolwich Police Station and the baths and then moved to Kingsman Street, opposite the George pub. Mulgrave Primary School for me.
    My wife was brought up in St Mary St, her back garden nearly backing onto The George car park.
    The wife went to Mulgrave 67-73.
    The MIL was still there until we moved her into a home 2 years ago. 
    I know we remember each other from an earlier exchange on here - had to look it up, it was 6 years ago when we exchanged messages.

Other mates at the time were Phil Mullen (we both then went to the Poly) Nicky Thomas who was a great footballer, and really good mates with Dennis Newton who I saw at The Valley about 20 years ago for the first time in probably 25 years!
  • bobmunro said:
    T_C_E said:
    bobmunro said:
    Was at Earl Rise 63-68
    You would not have missed him Bob, he was the kid in the class with two German Shepard's!!  ;)
  • edited March 2020

I've kept a regular diary since 1970 but only have fragments of life in SE18 in the 60's. With apologies for being very parochial, here are some memories and names a small number of you just might remember. Anything you can add will be much appreciated, including any photos:

Earl Rise School
    Science museum with Mr Morris, underground, stink bombs, 1,000,000-volt bangTeachers (Mrs Lambert, Miss Fitt became Mrs Allott, Mr Morris, Mr Donnelly, Mrs Poulter, Mr Taylor (Spud), Mr Datta, Mr Saunders (kneed naughty boys in the bum!)
    Italic writingFrench with Mrs Poulter I was put up a year to Mr Donnelly’s class with a few others in 1965Games field and green bus Plumstead swimming bathsMum (Mrs Rogers) was a dinner lady in Earl Rise Infants’ School Play time games… marbles, ‘we won the war in 1964’, chariots, endless football, Blue coats versus grey coatsNursery school… hated the afternoon sleep! Earl rise boot cupboard, ancient football boots, climbing up on top shelfPlayground, ‘shed’, playing marbles, the big metal grid where some marbles were lost, separate football court, school milk, milk shake sachets made milk bearable in about 1966, ink pens and wells, horrible dinners, dinner ladies – Mrs Denyer made me eat prunes!

Out and About

Plumstead Common football with Kenneth Clive, sledging down the dip on cardboard boxes

Woolwich and ferry vagabonding (smoking, North Woolwich, Victoria Gardens, Rainbow Café, old ferry and ferry approach (cafes, coin shop and farthings)

Catching frogs and newts in Rockcliffe Gardens – sold some in the covered marketDemolition sites near Brewery Road: air-raid shelters/stone fights Spooky dilapidated barracks near Burrage Road – able to get into the scary old building and explore the corridors and stairways. Walk to/from school – Victorian terraces, demolition sites, air raid shelters, new high-rise flatsSaturday morning pictures at the ABC, Uncle Harry Woolwich shops… Co-op, Cuffs, Woolworths (hot peanuts)Oddfellows after school on Fridays

Friends and Acquaintances:
    Anthony and Ian Hawes (was Kerr)Philip MullenKenneth CliveKenneth LewisDerek BennettGeoffrey Phiall?Terry BookerNicky ThomasDennis NewtonRobert MunroRaymond Jullings

Graham Chappell

Alan Henderson

Unal Salih

Ann and Christine Dunbar

Gary Armitage

Robert Hammond

Lynn Lambert

James Somerton (‘Summer County’)

COPYING AND PASTING IS ALL OVER THE PLACE!

• edited March 2020
    I remember being given the job of distribution of the boots from the boot cupboard, pretty soon after my employment was terminated after a pair of donated Adidas (a rare thing in those days) went missing and I was spotted walking around the streets in them. 😳
  • T_C_E said:
    I remember being given the job of distribution of the boots from the boot cupboard, pretty soon after my employment was terminated after a pair of donated Adidas (a rare thing in those days) went missing and I was spotted walking around the streets in them. 😳
    Were they the ones you were wearing in the photo shown on hear recently?

• Hi, what road is this?
  • Might it be Maxey Road? 
  • edited March 2020
    Might it be Maxey Road? 
    That could be, or from the top of either Villas Road or Invermore Place? @OliverStreet I used to live a couple of streets away from Earl Rise in Robert Street but went to Conway Road from 1956 to 1961. Probably used to hang around with some of your lot after school especially as I was a Cub Scout in the 22nd Woolwich at St Johns Church. 

Your sports master used to pick the Woolwich and District team and favoured a lot of your boys over other local schools. It also helped if you were big for your age 😏. Pretty sure we turned you over though 😉.
  • Sponsored links:

• cheers -being the saddo that I am I wanted to have a look on Google Earth to see how much the view / street had changed. I knew the factory wouldn't be there, but based on the three options above, the street is also gone (except for the name?)

• Hi, what road is this?

I can't remember the name of the road but that is the hill down to Maxey Road. I used to walk that way to the Poly from Ann Street - down Villas Road then up on the left was a rise (Star & Garter Pub on the corner at the top) up the rise left at the pub and then down that hill. I remember a sweet shop at the bottom and a mate of mine who went to Earl Rise lived in one of the houses on the right in that picture. Remember going to a birthday party there when I was maybe 8 or 9.
  • T_C_E said:

I only ever got hob nail boots with the nails pointing upwards through the sole and into my foot!
  • bobmunro said:
    T_C_E said:

I only ever got hob nail boots with the nails pointing upwards through the sole and into my foot!
    Sorry about that, some of those boots would have passed to protective footwear these days. Where the school got them from I’ll never know!
  • edited March 2020
    T_C_E said:
    bobmunro said:
    T_C_E said:

Sorry about that, some of those boots would have passed to protective footwear these days. Where the school got them from I’ll never know!

I think Arsenal may have donated them when they moved to the wrong side of the river. Some had to be 30 or 40 years old in the 60s!

They hadn't seen a clean let alone any dubbing in that time. The mud was caked on and dried like concrete.
  • bobmunro said:

Hi, what road is this?

I can't remember the name of the road but that is the hill down to Maxey Road. I used to walk that way to the Poly from Ann Street - down Villas Road then up on the left was a rise (Star & Garter Pub on the corner at the top) up the rise left at the pub and then down that hill. I remember a sweet shop at the bottom and a mate of mine who went to Earl Rise lived in one of the houses on the right in that picture. Remember going to a birthday party there when I was maybe 8 or 9.
    https://earth.google.com/web/@51.48701234,0.0762579,27.21060052a,0d,60y,329.39525435h,80.85921172t,0r/data=IhoKFnJydEJhQ2VUVi1WbDNWeGdIUFZlTmcQAg

not sure if this works or is even accurate, but possibly what the same view looks like today
  • Born in the hospital for mothers and babys. 
  • bobmunro said:

Hi, what road is this?

https://earth.google.com/web/@51.48701234,0.0762579,27.21060052a,0d,60y,329.39525435h,80.85921172t,0r/data=IhoKFnJydEJhQ2VUVi1WbDNWeGdIUFZlTmcQAg

not sure if this works or is even accurate, but possibly what the same view looks like today

Yes I had a look earlier - the rise I mentioned was /is Invermore Place then left into Arthur Grove and down the hill - the hill is Maxey Road which then continues on the flat to the left all the way to Burrage Road.