Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Life in the 60’s SE18

Comments

• Options
    Was that sweetshop Simpsons? On the left going down Maxey Road. 
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Did Maxey Road lead into Plumstead Road between Matchless and the Sussex Arms ( known as the glass house)?
    Loads of pubs in Maxey Road before the developments. Percy Arms, Congleton etc. 

• Options
    Born in the hospital for mothers and babys. 
    And me. 
  • Options
    Moved from the Old Kent Rd to Barnfield (Acworth Hse) around 62/63. Football in the cage and certainly remember all the adventure playgrounds (bomb sites) all around. Loved making a go-cart decorated with bottle caps and the sheer amount of fun every day. Venturing over to north Woolwich and Victoria gardens and into the docks. 
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Moved from the Old Kent Rd to Barnfield (Acworth Hse) around 62/63. Football in the cage and certainly remember all the adventure playgrounds (bomb sites) all around. Loved making a go-cart decorated with bottle caps and the sheer amount of fun every day. Venturing over to north Woolwich and Victoria gardens and into the docks. 
    My Grandma lived in Barnfield, don’t know what the block was called but it was almost opposite the oak pub. I was talking to my about our Sunday visits to our grandparents house and Grandad used go to church every week during our visit . She laughed at me saying was going to the oak, I was around 55 when told me that. Lol
  • Options
    Was that sweetshop Simpsons? On the left going down Maxey Road. 

Definitely on the left but can't remember the name.
  • Options
    Opening bit of film is of the Queen mother with the official opening of Coldharbour estate.
    She visited our next door neighbours at 10 Witherston way to view a council house.
    Good memories of days long past. 
  • Options
    Some nice shots of Rockmount Estate in Plumstead where we moved to when I was 6. Coming from Peckham, we couldn't believe how spacious the flat was and how much open space there was on the estate, as well having the Common and the woods on the doorstep.

Some very interesting footage of Woolwich, including the market stalls and the indoor market (which I had forgotten about). Things have come full circle with Woolwich Arsenal, which has now been completely redeveloped, although it will have to wait a little longer (maybe more than a little longer) for Crossrail.  
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    I’m not local to the SE7 / SE18 area any longer but I lived from age 5 to 21 about a 10 minute walk up Maryon Road from The Morris Walk Estate. Heard today that the estate is virtually deserted with only a handful of families still living there prior to it’s demolition. Anyone know what’s planned for the site ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Was born in Crescent Rd, Went to St Peters RC, (Mrs Kitely, Mrs Harrington, Miss Clements) was allowed to join the cubs at St Peters (36 Woolwich) to play football against Eltham cubs, at Shrewsbury Park and Eltham Park South then got kicked out after the football.  Went to Woolwich Poly 68-73, Teachers  were Mr Barry, Mr Lissemar, Mr Beard, Miss Clapham, she was an English teacher and absolutely fantastic teacher. Played in the Woolwich District side with Mark Penfold
    My mates were Chris Delieu, (Stabbed to death {79/80?} outside the Shakespeare Pub, Mickey MacAndrew, Keith Mutett. Knew some some kids from Springfield Grove Gerald Brown, Paul Arnold, Peter Smith, and his brother Gel(?)
    Moved to Claymill House 1970,after leaving the Poly with 1 O level went on to Storming Engineering with Mickey Hasting to do a Motor Vehicle apprenticeship. Mick married a girl call Diane from Arthur Grove.

I wast a real pain in the arse to most people i came into contact with when i was a teenager and i wish i could turn the clock back and say sorry to quite a few people.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Was born in Crescent Rd, Went to St Peters RC, (Mrs Kitely, Mrs Harrington, Miss Clements) was allowed to join the cubs at St Peters (36 Woolwich) to play football against Eltham cubs, at Shrewsbury Park and Eltham Park South then got kicked out after the football.  Went to Woolwich Poly 68-73, Teachers  were Mr Barry, Mr Lissemar, Mr Beard, Miss Clapham, she was an English teacher and absolutely fantastic teacher. Played in the Woolwich District side with Mark Penfold
    My mates were Chris Delieu, (Stabbed to death {79/80?} outside the Shakespeare Pub, Mickey MacAndrew, Keith Mutett. Knew some some kids from Springfield Grove Gerald Brown, Paul Arnold, Peter Smith, and his brother Gel(?)
    Moved to Claymill House 1970,after leaving the Poly with 1 O level went on to Storming Engineering with Mickey Hasting to do a Motor Vehicle apprenticeship. Mick married a girl call Diane from Arthur Grove.

I wast a real pain in the arse to most people i came into contact with when i was a teenager and i wish i could turn the clock back and say sorry to quite a few people.

Plenty of memories there. Barry was very handy with the slipper if you got less than 40% in a Geography test (sadistic bastard), plenty of stories about Lissemer although thankfully never on the receiving end, Mr Beard was a great guy, and Mr Bowditch as well also in Technical Drawing - poor guy lost both of his sons in a helicopter crash at Biggin Hill. Funnell for maths, Jock Campbell for Physics (he was pissed by early afternoon), MacDonald and Stevens for Chemistry. Good memories - I was there from 68-75 so I'm sure @usetobunkin we knew each other. I knew Gerald Brown and Paul Arnold too so I'm guessing you were in 1W and 2W?

I will always remember Funnell when talking about statistics in year two - he said that by the time this class (2W) reach the age of 21, one will have a violent end (Chrissy Delieu), one will die in an accident (John Hurley was killed in a bike crash) and one would die of an illness (Bren Biddle died of leukaemia). Mickey MacAndrew I believe died fairly young also. I knew Chrissy well and used to play on the 3/4 snooker table he had at his family home in Calderwood Street. There were a few who played in that district side I seem to recall - Peter Forshaw goalie?

Talking about The Shakespeare - a mate of mine was John Jones whose mum and dad had The Shakespeare. He left in year two I think when his parents moved to The Star & Garter on Kew Bridge (stayed there quite a lot).

I
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Lived most of my young life Samuel Street. Went Woodhill, then Poly. Hung around Morris Walk, could get home for football results after Charlton games.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Still can do 90 minutes Bob. I was in 1P then the B stream from 3rd year.
  • Options
    Still can do 90 minutes Bob

I can't - never really could! Which one are you?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Still can do 90 minutes Bob

I can't - never really could! Which one are you?
    Old boy in the middle with my sons arm on my shoulder 
  • Options

Some names there from the past.

I was born in Calderwood street, Woolwich  just up the road from the police station and swimming baths. Went to Mulgrave Primary School then on to Bloomfield/Eaglesfield.

Knew Chris Delieu who sadly died and I was a good friend of Mick and Diane Hastings. Mick was in the year above me at Bloomfield and good friends with a lot of my mates, plus he lived bang opposite the school gates so it was handy to go to his house at lunchtime.
  • Options
    edited January 2023

My Mum went to St. Peters RC back in the 1930s, when the school was in the building next to the Church in Woolwich New Road.
    I did one term in St. Peters in 1958 before we all moved to Abbey Wood.
    I can't recall where the school was then.Do you know when the school opened in Crescent  Rd?
    @usetobunkin
    I tried googling but couldn't find any historical info

Edit. Sorry to interupt the thread

• Options

The match shown is Charlton vs Norwich Apr 64, and has some lovely shots of The Valley.
    That was the first game I ever went to 
  • Options
    Yeah me too
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    TEL said:
    Yeah me too
    and me and lived opposite
  • Options

Some names there from the past.

I was born in Calderwood street, Woolwich  just up the road from the police station and swimming baths. Went to Mulgrave Primary School then on to Bloomfield/Eaglesfield.

Knew Chris Delieu who sadly died and I was a good friend of Mick and Diane Hastings. Mick was in the year above me at Bloomfield and good friends with a lot of my mates, plus he lived bang opposite the school gates so it was handy to go to his house at lunchtime.
    I wonder if Mick & Diane are my cousins, was there another brother called Gary?
  • Options

My Mum went to St. Peters RC back in the 1930s, when the school was in the building next to the Church in Woolwich New Road.
    I did one term in St. Peters in 1958 before we all moved to Abbey Wood.
    I can't recall where the school was then.Do you know when the school opened in Crescent  Rd?
    @usetobunkin
    I tried googling but couldn't find any historical info

Edit. Sorry to interupt the thread

I think St Peters in Crescent Rd opened in 1953, I moved up from  the Woolwich New Rd school when it opened,, I grew up in Conduit  Rd.
  • Options
    Idiot parents regularly park right outside and hold up the 51 or 53 coming down Crescent.  Bet you little darlings didn’t get dropped off at the front did you? No you walked!  Particularly chaotic today given it’s bin day. Carnage on Crescent this morning. 
  • Options
    I was born in the Hospital for Mothers & Babies too, January 1955 - anyone in there with me? 
  • Options
    lindos480 said:
    I was born in the Hospital for Mothers & Babies too, January 1955 - anyone in there with me? 
    Your mum was I assume!  ;)
  • Options
    This this is one of the things I love most about this Forum. Will show this to my in-laws over the weekend, as they have no internet. They lived in Plumstead from the late 1950s so will love this.
  • Options
    Such an interesting film - the reference to the streets of Victorian terraces as an example of substandard housing "their only virtue being solid foundations" whereas Eltham with it's newer blocks "has much to please the eye".  How things change.
  • Options

I’m a little younger than some of you guys, but Miss Clements had become Head Mistress at St Paul’s by the time I went there. Remember her having me and mum, who was a school governor and ran the playgroup next to St Peter’s Church, in when my 11+ results came in.  She recommended St Paul’s for secondary school instead of St Joseph’s as expected. She knew I didn’t want to wear the bright green blazer & wouldn’t have appreciated an all boys school 😂
  • Options
    Remember having a single roller skate, and putting a book across it and sitting on it and rolling down any slope you could find.
    Spent a lot of time playing on bomb sites, even jumping into the tram shed when it was a tram shed. A kid got killed nicking the lead of the skylight and fell through the roof of the tram shed. 
    Bunking off school to ride the ferry backwards and forward.
    Had a paper round from WH Smith’s in Woolwich Arsenal station, used to do the Brennan Estate, Murder on a Sunday took 2 bags to deliver all the papers.