Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Life in the 60’s SE18

Comments

• Options
    Did any on this forum other than me go to Timbercroft primary.  If do you remember the evening cricket matches played on Plumstead Common in the summers. I think back to 66 /67.
    I think they were 15 over games played against other schools. Normally just went along to watch but got called into one game for some reason. 
    Remember it because got hit the meat and two veg and even at 10 years old it bloody well hurt. No soft ball cricket then.
  • Options
    Went to a boys club at Timbercroft
  • Options
    TEL said:
    Was born in Crescent Rd, Went to St Peters RC, (Mrs Kitely, Mrs Harrington, Miss Clements) was allowed to join the cubs at St Peters (36 Woolwich) to play football against Eltham cubs, at Shrewsbury Park and Eltham Park South then got kicked out after the football.  Went to Woolwich Poly 68-73, Teachers  were Mr Barry, Mr Lissemar, Mr Beard, Miss Clapham, she was an English teacher and absolutely fantastic teacher. Played in the Woolwich District side with Mark Penfold
    My mates were Chris Delieu, (Stabbed to death {79/80?} outside the Shakespeare Pub, Mickey MacAndrew, Keith Mutett. Knew some some kids from Springfield Grove Gerald Brown, Paul Arnold, Peter Smith, and his brother Gel(?)
    Moved to Claymill House 1970,after leaving the Poly with 1 O level went on to Storming Engineering with Mickey Hasting to do a Motor Vehicle apprenticeship. Mick married a girl call Diane from Arthur Grove.

I wast a real pain in the arse to most people i came into contact with when i was a teenager and i wish i could turn the clock back and say sorry to quite a few people.
    Some names there from the past.

I was born in Calderwood street, Woolwich  just up the road from the police station and swimming baths. Went to Mulgrave Primary School then on to Bloomfield/Eaglesfield.

Knew Chris Delieu who sadly died and I was a good friend of Mick and Diane Hastings. Mick was in the year above me at Bloomfield and good friends with a lot of my mates, plus he lived bang opposite the school gates so it was handy to go to his house at lunchtime.
    I wonder if Mick & Diane are my cousins, was there another brother called Gary?
    I don’t remember Mick having a brother but it was a long time ago? I am still in touch with someone who knew Mick very well so will ask him 
  • Options
    Still can do 90 minutes Bob. I was in 1P then the B stream from 3rd year.
    Couple of my mates were in 1P/2P - Phil Mullen who I went to the same primary school with an Peter Roffey who was a very good mate (best men at each other's weddings). I always wondered why I went into 'W' when I lived in Plumstead! I scraped into the A stream but a third of 2W would have been in 3B.

Weird but after all these years I can still recite the 1W register!
  • Options
    Bump into PR at my sons school Lads and Dad football match, his son was an excellent cricketer. Phil Mullen was a copper ( I think)
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    Was born in Crescent Rd, Went to St Peters RC, (Mrs Kitely, Mrs Harrington, Miss Clements) was allowed to join the cubs at St Peters (36 Woolwich) to play football against Eltham cubs, at Shrewsbury Park and Eltham Park South then got kicked out after the football.  Went to Woolwich Poly 68-73, Teachers  were Mr Barry, Mr Lissemar, Mr Beard, Miss Clapham, she was an English teacher and absolutely fantastic teacher. Played in the Woolwich District side with Mark Penfold
    My mates were Chris Delieu, (Stabbed to death {79/80?} outside the Shakespeare Pub, Mickey MacAndrew, Keith Mutett. Knew some some kids from Springfield Grove Gerald Brown, Paul Arnold, Peter Smith, and his brother Gel(?)
    Moved to Claymill House 1970,after leaving the Poly with 1 O level went on to Storming Engineering with Mickey Hasting to do a Motor Vehicle apprenticeship. Mick married a girl call Diane from Arthur Grove.

I wast a real pain in the arse to most people i came into contact with when i was a teenager and i wish i could turn the clock back and say sorry to quite a few people.
    I’m a little younger than some of you guys, but Miss Clements had become Head Mistress at St Paul’s by the time I went there. Remember her having me and mum, who was a school governor and ran the playgroup next to St Peter’s Church, in when my 11+ results came in.  She recommended St Paul’s for secondary school instead of St Joseph’s as expected. She knew I didn’t want to wear the bright green blazer & wouldn’t have appreciated an all boys school 😂
    Also, I was there to act as a role model.😂
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    Did any on this forum other than me go to Timbercroft primary.  If do you remember the evening cricket matches played on Plumstead Common in the summers. I think back to 66 /67.
    I think they were 15 over games played against other schools. Normally just went along to watch but got called into one game for some reason. 
    Remember it because got hit the meat and two veg and even at 10 years old it bloody well hurt. No soft ball cricket then.
    I went to Timbercroft - 67-70 I think - but I don’t remember any organized sports. 
  • Options
    TEL said:

I was born in Calderwood street, Woolwich  just up the road from the police station and swimming baths. Went to Mulgrave Primary School then on to Bloomfield/Eaglesfield.

Knew Chris Delieu who sadly died and I was a good friend of Mick and Diane Hastings. Mick was in the year above me at Bloomfield and good friends with a lot of my mates, plus he lived bang opposite the school gates so it was handy to go to his house at lunchtime.
    Thinking Micks brother was Stephen 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Born in the hospital for Mothers and Babies in October 1953.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

I’m a little younger than some of you guys, but Miss Clements had become Head Mistress at St Paul’s by the time I went there. Remember her having me and mum, who was a school governor and ran the playgroup next to St Peter’s Church, in when my 11+ results came in.  She recommended St Paul’s for secondary school instead of St Joseph’s as expected. She knew I didn’t want to wear the bright green blazer & wouldn’t have appreciated an all boys school 😂
    Also, I was there to act as a role model.😂
    I always wondered where it all went wrong!!! 🫣😂
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What a difference Woolwich is now.had a real good community I only go there when I really have to  it's straight in & out asap 

• Options
    Must plug the refurbished Tramshed.  Their monthly comedy nights are a bargain £10. 
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    I went to Timbercroft - 67-70 I think - but I don’t remember any organized sports. 
    I went from 64 to 68. I also remember walking down to swingste Lane playing fields where we played football during our sports class. Because in those days such things were segregated
    Boys and girls having separate sports.
    In my previous primary we still lined up separately to enter the school through boys and girls entrance.
    That was Bannockburn  primary and nursary school, I attend from nursary to early years primary.
  • Options
    Traffic chaos in Woolwich at the moment. Avoid if you can.
  • Options
    I went to Eglington until I was 9 in 1962. Don’t remember much about it. Anyone else go there? Was that the primary for Barnfield Gardens?
  • Options
    TEL said:

I don’t remember Mick having a brother but it was a long time ago? I am still in touch with someone who knew Mick very well so will ask him 
    Interesting if it is them. Diane now lives in Queensland(since the early 70's) Michael lives in Huntingdon, and Gary recently returned from Queensland and is living in Cornwall. 

The family tended to move around as a group a lot after the war, Lewisham, Beckenham, Romford, Harold Hill and then late 50's Woolwich and in 64 they broke the mould and we went alone to Abbey Road,Belvedere just along from Lessness Abbey opposite Elstree Gardens. 
  • Options
    Rob said:
    I went to Eglington until I was 9 in 1962. Don’t remember much about it. Anyone else go there? Was that the primary for Barnfield Gardens?
    Was it Plum Lane? Went to evening classes there in my teens with a fishing club. 
  • Options
    TEL said:

Thinking Micks brother was Stephen 
    Hastings not being a particularly common name, so must be just a coincidence then. 

• Options
    TEL said:
    TEL said:

Interesting if it is them. Diane now lives in Queensland(since the early 70's) Michael lives in Huntingdon, and Gary recently returned from Queensland and is living in Cornwall. 

The family tended to move around as a group a lot after the war, Lewisham, Beckenham, Romford, Harold Hill and then late 50's Woolwich and in 64 they broke the mould and we went alone to Abbey Road,Belvedere just along from Lessness Abbey opposite Elstree Gardens. 
    Sorry Tel you are losing me. Mick Hastings married Diane, she is not related to him other than wife.
  • Options
    TEL said:
    TEL said:

Sorry Tel you are losing me. Mick Hastings married Diane, she is not related to him other than wife.
    Ah ok mate, just a coincidence, my lot were brothers and sisters. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    TEL said:
    Rob said:
    Was it Plum Lane? Went to evening classes there in my teens with a fishing club. 
    No. It’s on Paget Rise, just off Herbert Road. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Rob said:

I went to Eglinton for one year 62-63, then we moved to Plumstead and I went to Earl Rise.
  • Options
    When growing up in Greenhithe we would visit Woolwich market, a real treat back in the day.
  • Options
    Trying to remember what life was like in the 20 20's when this thread was started
  • Options
    lindos480 said:
    I was born in the Hospital for Mothers & Babies too, January 1955 - anyone in there with me? 
    Yes also born in British Hospital For Mother’s 
    & Babies . But not till September 1965 
  • Options
    My 2 children both born there. 
    Drinks in the Edinburgh after visiting
    Both long gone unfortunately. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Went to Eglinton from 63, then Bloomfield and lived on Barnfield Estate. 
    Michael Hastings was in my class at Bloomfield. 
  • Options
    lindos480 said:
    I was born in the Hospital for Mothers & Babies too, January 1955 - anyone in there with me? 
    Me also Aug 1962, went to Woodhill School before moving to Welling in 1969.
  • Options
    lindos480 said:
    Me too.
    October 1964
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Solidgone said:
    Went to Eglinton from 63, then Bloomfield and lived on Barnfield Estate. 
    Michael Hastings was in my class at Bloomfield. 
    I am guessing you must have know Steve Young, Terry Dewar, Nicky Shaw and Paul Calvert then?