Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Life in the 60’s SE18

124»

Comments

• Options
    Solidgone said:
    Went to Eglinton from 63, then Bloomfield and lived on Barnfield Estate. 
    Michael Hastings was in my class at Bloomfield. 
    I am guessing you must have know Steve Young, Terry Dewar, Nicky Shaw and Paul Calvert then?
    Yes
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    msomerton said:
    Did any on this forum other than me go to Timbercroft primary.  If do you remember the evening cricket matches played on Plumstead Common in the summers. I think back to 66 /67.
    I think they were 15 over games played against other schools. Normally just went along to watch but got called into one game for some reason. 
    Remember it because got hit the meat and two veg and even at 10 years old it bloody well hurt. No soft ball cricket then.
    I went to Timbercroft - 67-70 I think - but I don’t remember any organized sports. 
    I went from 64 to 68. I also remember walking down to swingste Lane playing fields where we played football during our sports class. Because in those days such things were segregated
    Boys and girls having separate sports.
    In my previous primary we still lined up separately to enter the school through boys and girls entrance.
    That was Bannockburn  primary and nursary school, I attend from nursary to early years primary.
    Drove past that school one day with a Scottish mate who was visiting - he got very excited. 

In fact, I think had there been any goal posts up in the playground he'd have got out the car and dismantled them.  Apparently the Scots defeated the English against all the odds at Bannockburn in 1314 - probably the last time they beat us in any battle - which is probably why they can all recite it chapter and verse.

He kept saying (through tears of joy and laughter), "Why?"  "Why would the English have a school called Bannockburn in London? 

... I never did find out  :/
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Solidgone said:
    Went to Eglinton from 63, then Bloomfield and lived on Barnfield Estate. 
    Michael Hastings was in my class at Bloomfield. 
    I am guessing you must have know Steve Young, Terry Dewar, Nicky Shaw and Paul Calvert then?
    Yes
    I am guessing we know each other then as I used to hang around with all of them in and out of school. Nicky Shaw was my best man and Steve Young and I are still in touch, he lives in Cornwall now 
  • Options
    Does anybody remember Woolwich Boxing Club. We trained in St. Mary’s School. I was there around 67/68. I think the trainers names were George? and a guy we called Tots. Three brothers named Cripps were there at the time I believe they were the sons of the school caretaker. 
  • Options
    Anyone go to charlton secondary school on the lower charlton Road.. there were two schools about 1 mile apart . I was there early 60s