Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Fulham | Wednesday 22 January 2020 Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    Good performance and result. Especially pleased with Cullen; to return from injury and play like that for a full 90 minutes is something special. Pity about our crossing,  but I've a feeling that will get better. Onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    Painful to watch the first half. Much better second-half. Cullen as always was fantastic as was Williams and Taylor. Felt like a win at the end.Just relieved we got a point
  • Options
    On another note Cullen / Pratley made me smile tonight

I think Pratley is so used to having to be everywhere him and Josh got in each others way a few times when Cullen was able help out
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    How do we know we’ve got the right manager? Because against West Brom, Leeds and Fulham so far this season, we played five games in the league and we are unbeaten. Bowyer instils a belief in those players that any other manager wouldn’t be able to do. Proud supporter tonight
    With respect that’s rubbish. Going unbeaten against the top 3/4 means nothing if we still go down. Would much prefer to beat Barnsley then Leeds at the minute. 
    I’m not saying that a win against Barnsley isn’t more important for us at the moment. I’m commenting on the incredible belief Bowyer has instilled in this group, that they can go toe to toe against anyone in this league (even if half our team are kids). Going unbeaten against anyone isn’t meaningless in this league, let alone the best teams.

That draw means the players will be far more confident they can go get that result against Barnsley in ten days time.
    Sorry, yes that’s fair. We have battled incredibly hard against the better teams in the division. Now need to get wins against the likes of Barnsley and Hudds in the next 6 weeks. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Tonight shows we don’t need that many players in if we can keep the core players fit, 1 striker, 1 centre mid and a winger would be ideal 
    Would prefer 2 midfielders. An attacking one like Maddison who could double as a winger and an out and out CM. 

Would still like a CB too. 

I have a sentimental attachment to both Sarr and Pearce for different reasons, and they have both had good games this season, but they also both look like an accident waiting to happen some of the time. I think a left sided central back to partner Lockyer should be a higher priority, if we can get one. If we can get Maddison he should add goals to the midfield, something only Oztumer, of our current crop, really has on his resume and he is yet to score for us. Another box-to box midfielder who knows how to defend would be what I'd prioritize over a striker, but if we can get a fourth striker that'd certainly be nice to have. Hemed battled away better than he has before, but the jury is still out on him.
    If you could merge Pearces aggression, aerial ability and passion/fight/leadership with Sarr's ability on the ball, athleticism and physique then you would have one hell of a player. 

For now picking horses for courses is the right way to go. Pick the one who fits best into any particular system. Longer term agree we need a first choice on that side. 

On incomings. We need a replacement for Gallagher (energy athleticism and quality), a player to back up Cullen (in place of Kayal). 

Then maybe a maddison type, a striker and a left sided CB/utility defender. 
  • Options
    Good solid performances and could have nicked it in second half.

Great to see some players back, what a difference having some experience back.

A couple of good signings, keep Lyle and with Bowyer now signed up could be a good January.
  • Options
    Excellent & well deserved point.
    We always fare better against teams that play football. 

Clean sheet, Pearce back, no Sarr nuff said. 
  • Options
    Great point, not the most exciting of games and I’m unsure how Fulham are doing so well based on the two games we’ve played against them but right now we have to take anything we can and tonight we did. Pre-game I thought we would get tonked but I was miles off.  

Very positive day to be an Addick with Bowyer signing, a good point and key players getting minutes. 10 days to recover now, we should be ok. 
  • Options
    Circumstances prevented my attendance tonight unfortunately so delighted to discover that we picked up a precious point.

Reading the thread it sounds as though we gave a decent account of ourselves and good that both Cullen and Taylor featured.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    RedChaser said:
    Sad to see some giving Hemed low marks in the marks thread, thought he worked his socks off and battled hard

Pratley once again Mr Reliable for us, what a season he’s having. 

Special mention for Alfie doughty too, constantly a threat on the wing just a shame his final ball wasn’t so great. 

And a clean sheet to back up what was a very satisfying point. 

It's all about opinions mate, I can't fault Hemed for effort he left nothing out there but I don't think he held the ball up as good as Davison v West Brom and went to ground far too easily for my liking. His closing down was a bit like a headless chicken as well.

It was like chalk and cheese when Taylor came on. I gather that he is not a target man which was pretty obvious but if he's a goalscorer I cant remember any attempts on goal either. Not writing him off though because I haven't seen enough of him.
    We need to create if he’s to have an attempt though. Very harsh to stick someone up top on their own in this division and then ask them to score goals. Especially when you are creating very little. 
    Quite agree but I can only mark on what I see. Even at my age I'd give you 100% effort 😉.
  • Options
    2121 said:
    Fulham did miss a sitter we were lucky with that. Defender hector came round the back and headed wide
    That's why he's a defender.  :smiley:

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    The players certainly gave it everything. Cullen makes such a difference and the main reason we got as draw. He constantly gave out instructions which gives massive confidence to the defence.  More practice on free kicks and corners please. 
  • Options
    My first game since Roland’s regime and thoroughly enjoyable. We looked hard to beat. We just need someone to bang in the goals so that we can improve on that dodgy league position.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    Sad to see some giving Hemed low marks in the marks thread, thought he worked his socks off and battled hard

Pratley once again Mr Reliable for us, what a season he’s having. 

Special mention for Alfie doughty too, constantly a threat on the wing just a shame his final ball wasn’t so great. 

And a clean sheet to back up what was a very satisfying point. 

It's all about opinions mate, I can't fault Hemed for effort he left nothing out there but I don't think he held the ball up as good as Davison v West Brom and went to ground far too easily for my liking. His closing down was a bit like a headless chicken as well.

It was like chalk and cheese when Taylor came on. I gather that he is not a target man which was pretty obvious but if he's a goalscorer I cant remember any attempts on goal either. Not writing him off though because I haven't seen enough of him.
    We need to create if he’s to have an attempt though. Very harsh to stick someone up top on their own in this division and then ask them to score goals. Especially when you are creating very little. 
    Quite agree but I can only mark on what I see. Even at my age I'd give you 100% effort 😉.
    Yes at the minute he still hasn’t scored so doesn’t deserve credit. But just think the way we’re playing etc needs to be taken into account 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Oggy Red said:
    2121 said:
    Fulham did miss a sitter we were lucky with that. Defender hector came round the back and headed wide

Who was supposed to be picking him up then because Hector should've buried that and it was almost Bauer at Preston again 😡.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Oggy Red said:
    2121 said:

Who was supposed to be picking him up then because Hector should've buried that and it was almost Bauer at Preston again 😡.
    Pearce is marking him and then completely loses him

https://www.skysports.com/football/charlton-vs-fulham/report/409688
  • Options
    green ——- taylor ———- doughty
    —————-williams——————-

excites me. Pace to burn. 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Oggy Red said:
    2121 said:

Yep. Sarr would be getting torn a new one, on here, if that'd been him dropping his man like that.

We avoided conceding a soft goal 10 minutes after half time - but not for the want of trying in that particular instance.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    RedChaser said:
    Oggy Red said:
    2121 said:

Ah ha, to be honest apart from that he nearly cost us with a miss control near half way 1st half, an 'after you Claude' with Pratley on the 18 yard line and a loose ball to Purrington across the back 2nd half. Think I've over marked him, damn! 😉.
  • Options
    When you've got Taylor, Williams and Green on the bench, you know your team is on the way back.
     Even better was Cullen starting - wouldn't it be great if we could sign him permanently. Pure class.
     Doughty defo a player with a future at the club, Pratley defying the years again, Oz having probably his best game for us and Hemed putting in a good, honest shift.
     Shame on all those claiming Taylor has been feigning injury - real 100 per cent effort from the moment he came on. MS needs to get him signed up quickly. 
     Williams also gave another superb display. Wonder if he has ever played a game where he has not been fouled?
    Oh, and LB signing his contract. Next three years are going to be exciting.