Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Fulham | Wednesday 22 January 2020 Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    First 0-0 since March
    If Curbs was still around, he would have called it a nought-nought.

Thats because he was here during the naughties
  • Options
    Sarr dropped to the bench... First clean sheet since October...coincidence?

Sarr dropped to the bench,
    Hardly any forward momentum or 35 yard passes which open up a defence, no treat from set pieces, no extra dimension from Naby having the ball at his feet and opening up the options.

Cullen twice( still a fantastic player) Lockyer, and Pearce all made errors that if Mitrovic, Kamara or Knockaert were playing would surely have been punished.

Failed to score at home, coincidence ?

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    Oggy Red said:
    2121 said:
    Fulham did miss a sitter we were lucky with that. Defender hector came round the back and headed wide
    That's why he's a defender.  :smiley:

Who was supposed to be picking him up then because Hector should've buried that and it was almost Bauer at Preston again 😡.
    Pearce is marking him and then completely loses him

https://www.skysports.com/football/charlton-vs-fulham/report/409688
    Thanks for the link.

Did we really have no goal attempts worth showing or are the edits more evidence that we only exist to make up the numbers?
  • Options
    What a difference 4 days makes. So many positives tonight! 

- Bowyer has signed 
    - first clean sheet in god knows how long
    - Cullen played 90 and makes a huge difference sitting infront of the back 4
    - strongest match day squad in ages
    - positive attacking substitutions
    - had more quality when we did have the ball

Only negative really is our final ball wasn't quite there. Doughty squandered a couple of chances to put in quality ball and we didn't take advantage of our set peices which we had a lot of tonight.

Well happy with that point, just a shame we couldn't nick it with that final free kick! 
    this sums it up perfectly for me
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Oggy Red said:
    2121 said:
    Fulham did miss a sitter we were lucky with that. Defender hector came round the back and headed wide

Who was supposed to be picking him up then because Hector should've buried that and it was almost Bauer at Preston again 😡.

Thanks for the link.

Did we really have no goal attempts worth showing or are the edits more evidence that we only exist to make up the numbers?
    We didnt really have many attempts that needed saving but we did create chances, them highlights are crap.

• Options
    PWR - What a great performance from our boys. Against a very slick Fulham side we stood up defensively and restricted them to few chances, with only one real lapse when they had a free header at the back post.
    After all the pelters that he has received in recent weeks I thought that a special mention should go to Ben Purrington, who had a very solid game.
    We offered very little going forward before the substitutions. Ozzy ran his socks off but he is no Jonny Williams. Hemed tried but never really bothered their defence and only started to win headers just before he was subbed. Alfie Doughty was our only attacking threat and what a great player he already is and will grow into. 
    As soon as Jonny came on the tide started to shift and once Lyle and Andre Green came on we actually looked dangerous. The ball started to stick up front and Lyle started to drag their defenders about. What a great ball Lyle put in late on.
    A well deserved point and I'm feeling very positive about the rest of the season. 
  • Options
    Great point, and a very good battling performance. I thought we let them play out from the back too easily in the first half, second half was so much better, pressed higher up the pitch got in bunhead number 3 face and had him punting the ball aimlessly forward in the end.

Agree with what has been said about Cullen, what a player, others have needed time to come back, not him chuck him straight back in and he gives you 90 minutes non stop running and battling, this kid is the real deal sign him up!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great point and could of knicked it in the end just hope Taylor and Cullen are still here for the next game. Might have missed someone else mentioning this but did anyone notice Scott Parker going our dug out at the start. Would love to think it was a joke on his part but don't think Scotty does humour 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Oggy Red said:
    2121 said:

Thanks for the link.

We didnt really have many attempts that needed saving but we did create chances, them highlights are crap.

We had two shots.

One on target (held low by keeper at near post from Doughty) and one 30-40 feet wide from Oztumer with his left foot.

As far as I can remember, we didn't have another effort at goal of any description. We also had a couple of bright moments; 1st half Doughty centred behind Hemed, when Hemed was in front of his man crying out for a tap in and Taylor's low ball to the far post, brilliantly flicked away for a corner with Williams in attendance. 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    RedChaser said:
    Oggy Red said:
    2121 said:

Thanks for the link.

We had two shots.

One on target (held low by keeper at near post from Doughty) and one 30-40 feet wide from Oztumer with his left foot.

As far as I can remember, we didn't have another effort at goal of any description. We also had a couple of bright moments; 1st half Doughty centred behind Hemed, when Hemed was in front of his man crying out for a tap in and Taylor's low ball to the far post, brilliantly flicked away for a corner with Williams in attendance. 
    We had more than that as had the two early efforts that got diverted out for corners
  • Options
    McCartney said:
    Great point and could of knicked it in the end just hope Taylor and Cullen are still here for the next game. Might have missed someone else mentioning this but did anyone notice Scott Parker going our dug out at the start. Would love to think it was a joke on his part but don't think Scotty does humour 
    Cullen can no longer be recalled. 
  • Options
    Their number 3 was really good, ice cold and played some lovely diagonal balls to start the attack. He's what Naby could become
  • Options

Just what we needed to be honest. Pre match Bowyer signs a new contract, and then we take on a very talented Fulham side, and drag a point away from them, and by the sounds of it, as Taylor and Williams arrived late, we had a shout of nicking all three points.

Looking ahead, we really need to offer Taylor something to make him stay. He may want a lot, but anyone similar (and maybe younger) will also be looking for a higher end championship offer,. Like Bauer, Taylor may now have his mind set, but while he hasn't signed for anyone else, there is still room to negotiate. Williams, Doughty and Cullen are all on my wish list for next season before we start sniffing around new faces.

in the meantime we have ten days to regroup, get the injured back to 100% and get in a bit of fresh blood. With the injured returning, we maybe don't need too many - quality over quantity. But for today, I am a happy Addick.

• Options
    Surprised that a lot of them seem unhappy with Parker.
    ""Essentially we've Premier League players and a League One manager. "" made me laugh.

Anyway,great point for us and feels like light at the end of the tunnel. Fingers crossed no new injury concers before Barnsley game
    Can't blame them, a decent manager would walk the league  with that squad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Only frustrations from Hemed was when he neatly chested the ball down right in front of me - Could have held the ball up to bring others into play

Instead sat down on his arse and went looking for a free kick which was rightly waved away and so gave the ball back too easily

The other occasion was again when he went down, no free kick given, few moments later we'd won a throw in (which we'd taken), still had the ball yet he was still getting to his feet

All little things that he just needs to work on for me with us being where we are in the League
  • Options
    Definitely improvement in Hemed compared with his few performances earlier in the season. At least the effort is there now. Needs a partner up top though, he's not a lone striker. 
  • Options
    Watched on the 'Red button as live too far away for midweek. 

Enjoyed the game and thought all the lads put in a brilliant performance, the atmosphere sounded immense! Thought Doughty had a good game, despite some questionable crosses on his wrong foot. 

How on earth are we joint top on goals scored from corners this season (9), our corners last night were the worst I have seen for years! 

So good to have Cullen, JW and LT back. 

Also thought Matthews had another solid game and never gets the plaudits. 

Lets hope we can get some decent players in and push up the table!  
  • Options
    I just don't see it in Hemed.  He has no speed and I don't see any urgency in his play.  Josh Davison looks stronger with his back to goal than Hemed.  I appreciate he is up top on his own and not getting much help but he is a typical Duchatelet era signing.  This is what we can get with the money we've got,  i.e. not much.
  • Options
    Agree on Matthews he’s been excellent overall in the last 6 weeks or so. 
  • Options
    We desperately need to work on corners and freekicks - pretty embarrassing last night. We don't look like scoring from open play so can't afford to waste these opportunities.

Thought Lyle Taylor got a decent reception last night. His brief cameo really showed what he offers to the team.

A good win against Barnsley will really lift us.
  • Options
    Missed It said:
    I just don't see it in Hemed.  He has no speed and I don't see any urgency in his play.  Josh Davison looks stronger with his back to goal than Hemed.  I appreciate he is up top on his own and not getting much help but he is a typical Duchatelet era signing.  This is what we can get with the money we've got,  i.e. not much.
    I totally agree. Thought that Davison showed far more against two big West Brom defenders than Hemed showed last night. They knew that they had been in a battle, whereas Hector strolled through the game up to the point that Lyle Taylor came on.
    Hemed tried but, surprisingly, has been found wanting in the games that he has played thus far. 
  • Options
    Attendance down as a rearranged fixture plus not on a Saturday and some watch on the red button.Next two home matches need too get down the Valley.