Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Fulham | Wednesday 22 January 2020 Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Rich Cawley tweeting:

Scott Parker: "Charlton full of heart, desire, character and passion. You have to match that. You can't build your foundations on your talent - in past got beat on opposition working. We matched them toe to toe."
      Parker is getting pelters from the Fulham fans on twitter.
     Odd bunch that lot.
  • Options
    Tonight shows we don’t need that many players in if we can keep the core players fit, 1 striker, 1 centre mid and a winger would be ideal 
    Would prefer 2 midfielders. An attacking one like Maddison who could double as a winger and an out and out CM. 

Would still like a CB too. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Cullen was immense tonight!

Serious question. If he became available how much do you think we’d need to fork out to land him?
  • Options

Serious question. If he became available how much do you think we’d need to fork out to land him?
    I think his contract situation helps set the price but I would guess around 6mil. 
  • Options
    We're a different side with Cullen back. Taylor showing he's just a cut above with his hold up play, Williams a class above. 

Just a shame the delivery of our final ball wasn't better (or our set pieces) because we could have nicked it at the end 
  • Options
    Good result against a decent team.
    5 wins required.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tonight shows we don’t need that many players in if we can keep the core players fit, 1 striker, 1 centre mid and a winger would be ideal 
    Would prefer 2 midfielders. An attacking one like Maddison who could double as a winger and an out and out CM. 

Would still like a CB too. 

I have a sentimental attachment to both Sarr and Pearce for different reasons, and they have both had good games this season, but they also both look like an accident waiting to happen some of the time. I think a left sided central back to partner Lockyer should be a higher priority, if we can get one. If we can get Maddison he should add goals to the midfield, something only Oztumer, of our current crop, really has on his resume and he is yet to score for us. Another box-to box midfielder who knows how to defend would be what I'd prioritize over a striker, but if we can get a fourth striker that'd certainly be nice to have. Hemed battled away better than he has before, but the jury is still out on him.
    Yeah an assessment I agree with. I would spend money on a decent CB and midfielder who scores goals, hopefully Maddison. 

Would be happy with a CM like Docherty on loan and a striker on loan to provide another option. 

Wouldn’t cost us bundles and should keep us in good stead. 
  • Options
    Superb effort and great support. Onwards and upwards 
  • Options
    Great spirit and determination from everyone. Bearing in mind where Fulham are in the league,  I think that it's a very good result. 

And the Valley had a decent turnout for a cold midweek game. 
  • Options

Evening Standard tonight says Moyes will have Cullen in the first team squad next season. Prefers English players.
  • Options
    Love Pearce. Love Lockyer. Love Sarr.

But a pairing of either of them together is a bit of a recipe for disaster.
    However, Either one of them playing alongside a clever, cultured centre half would be perfect
  • Options
    That felt better tonight. More cohesive and I echo what most are saying, Cullen made the difference even though he's not 100%. Williams and Taylor gave us a lift. I thought we could have nicked it at the end. Just lacked that bit of quality. Think we will be fine and hope we can get to mid table. Do need to start picking up 3 points though. I know we want some new faces in but if we keep Taylor and were able to sign Cullen then with others coming back I will be happy. Need a central defender and left back though so let's wait and see.
  • Options
    Good result - looked a different team once Williams and Taylor came on. Oztumer and Morgan both offered little and Pearce looked a bit shaky. Purrington did well and was pretty solid.

Fulham overplayed everything - once put under pressure by Taylor they looked vulnerable. They had little end product.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can’t remember one decent corner, throw in or free kick. Dillon Phillips kicking is some of the worst I have seen from a Charlton keeper and I clearly remember the days of Kiely. We got into some great positions particularly through Doughty and wasted all of them. Apart from the regulation saves neither keeper looked troubled. Saying all that we managed to match them up where it counted and it was all about our defending. Glad to see Cullen back and Alfie Doughty made everyone look like they were running in treacle.
  • Options
    Quality game, 

hemed gave his all glad he got the minutes will come back better for it. The centre back hector kept him in his pocket tho. 

lockyer also had a decent game normally not a fan. 

Doughty man of match. Quality player  He desperately needed some pace for his counter attacks. 

Taylor and green gave us the pace we needed. Couldnt help but thinking we needed both of them earlier to do damage. 

If all these players can stay fit and lyle doesnt go then not worried 
  • Options
    Disappointed with the way we went about the game, wasted a lot of time and towards the end seemed to settle for a point. What do they do in training with regards to corners, free kicks and throw ins?
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

Evening Standard tonight says Moyes will have Cullen in the first team squad next season. Prefers English players.
    Better not. West Ham said that before and he ended up back on loan. Come home and sign for Charlton josh. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    A day full of positives, even golfie mustn’t have anything to moan about after that 
    Leopards don't change their spots, do they?

Anyway, Golfie is part of the scenery on CL. We love him really.

See his half time post on the match thread. Positively optimistic. I'd have thought someone had stolen his phone if I wasn't standing next to him.
  • Options
    Was pleased to see that they were keen to get the ball forward from defence, rather than pass after pass and then giving the ball away and inviting pressure all the time. Much better👍
  • Options
    Just a note on the Fulham fans, they were absolutely appalling all evening. Leaving early too was laughable 
  • Options
    Fulham did miss a sitter we were lucky with that. Defender hector came round the back and headed wide