Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Preston v Charlton | Sat 18 Jan | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Preston North End v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 18th January 2020 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Dean Whitestone (Northamptonshire)

Introduction
This Saturday will see the Addicks returning to the road for a trip up the M6 to Lancashire and Preston – It’s been a run of form so typically seen on the pitch of late; plenty of effort being shown from youngsters who have plenty of heart and application, yet don’t quite have the ability to ensure we reach 5pm with three points - With two weeks to go until the Transfer Window closes there is still plenty of time for reinforcements to come in and make the difference!!... Keep the faith!!

The Opposition
Name: Preston North End (10th) | Manager: Alex Neil
Ground: Deepdale
Previous Result: Charlton Athletic 0-1 Preston North End

If you had to find a starting point for our poor run of form then you’d have to pin it on this reverse fixture at the start of November!! – Preston would visit South East London on a Sunday lunchtime, bringing the SKY cameras along for the ride; Charlton would be missing key players after injuries had begun to show, in what would be a scrappy game; Preston would take all three points, a solitary penalty was the only difference yet the visitors would give a harsh lesson on physical side of this Division!!

A win that afternoon took Preston to third, whilst they didn’t look a side destined for promotion they looked a side that could certainly get amongst the Play-Offs, after all we’ve long learnt that those can throw up any manner of surprise – As it is though; the Lilywhites have struggled of late, the Addicks travel to a side who havent won in six matches, is there a chance for the visitors to spring a surprise? – It wouldn’t be the first time under our current Management!!

Charlton Team News
Just when you think it can’t get any worse, it well and truly does!! – Conor Gallagher was signed as a bit of a wildcard prior to our season opener against Blackburn Rovers, many fans questioned if the youngster would be ready for a relegation battle whilst Johnnie Jackson himself admitted he knew nothing of the academy product from Chelsea – During his first appearance, it was clear there would be something about him though, now having been recalled by Chelsea (and re-loaned out to Swansea City) its up to Steve Gallen to pull another rabbit from the hat!!

Yet whilst there appears to be little activity within the transfer market you can expect Charlton to be busy trying to bring in replacements – In terms of the current squad we saw last Saturday the likes of Jonny Williams and Jake Forster-Caskey making returns from injury - Despite only another week of full training you have to question if Bowyer’s hand will be forced into starting one of them, unless of course there is a flurry of activity before 12noon on Friday!!

Phillips
Matthews | Lockyer | Oshilaja | Sarr | Doughty
Forster-Caskey | Pratley
Morgan
Green | Davison

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Solly | Pearce | Purrington | Williams | Oztumer | Hemed

Prediction
The loss of Gallagher will be yet another disruption that Bowyer doesn’t need and you have to question when his big break will come – Many predicted that both West Brom and Preston would prove too much for our inexperienced team but as shown at the Valley last week that wasn’t the case!! – As we’ve come to expect from the Management team, people should perhaps expect the unexpected once again.

Comments

• Preston 2 Charlton 0.

Preston will score around the 40 minute mark and there will be lots of huff and puff trying to get back into the game in the second half but Preston will add a second (against the run of play) late on.

• 2-0 to PNE

I have no doubt that we can successfully jump start their faltering season, three draws and two defeats in five?  pah!
  • I've a feeling it will be Dempsey again over Morgan though I hope not. 
  • Talal said:
    I've a feeling it will be Dempsey again over Morgan though I hope not. 
    My one thought in Midfield was that we'd see Williams against Preston with Dempsey in place of Forster-Caskey

Then against Fulham we'll see Forster-Caskey and Oztumer playing
  • Unless Albie is injured no way Dempsey should play in pref. to him!
  • Welcome back FA great preview as usual .
    I'm going to Preston Saturday and I fully expect Foster Caskey,Williams and Hemed to all play some part.
    I'm still hoping we might see a new signing make the trip although time appears to be running out.
    Anyway we will suprise all Addicks with a hard fought 2.1 victory. 
  • 3-0 to Preston. Battling performance.
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Understandably there's a lot of negativity about the weekend, but we are well overdue a win and it is coming this weekend. We may not have made any new signings and lost Connor, which has disgruntled fans, but with many players returning imminently we will pack a punch from the bench and maybe even have a surprise in the starting lineup. It's going to be a gritty, physical game but as we proved against WBA we are more than up to the challenge. 

I predict 1-2 Charlton. We'll concede either in the first 2 minutes of the first or second half as is standard this year but we'll score a set piece. One thing I noted, Greene put couple of low crosses into great areas against WBA but nobody was there. This isn't something our players are used to, but after a week of training together someone will be on the end of a Greene cross and bag a goal. Come on Charlton!
  • 3-0 Charlton, Davison hat trick.

Lyle who?

• Sponsored links:

• Another great preview FA , it's gonna be difficult without Gallagher , that's for sure. JFC not quite there to start yet , but will appear 2nd half , as per Saturday gone. Speaking of last Saturday , I'm going for another Desmond , Hamed and Davidson with the goals.
  • I think we’ll get something here, I’ll go for a, Chris Powell style, grinding out a 1-0 win to Charlton.

If we don’t get anything at all then we could be in some trouble come 5pm on Saturday.
  • How many of us travelling?
  • Croydon said:
    How many of us travelling?
    Around 800 I think.
  • Need a stronger team than that as desperately need the 3 points. Williams for Morgan and Hemed for Davison. Cullen on the bench.
    Lets go for it.
  • Croydon said:
    How many of us travelling?
    Nah, not this one, dry January would not withstand a trip to the north. 
  • Need a stronger team than that as desperately need the 3 points. Williams for Morgan and Hemed for Davison. Cullen on the bench.
    Lets go for it.
    Rushing players back that aren't fully fit will increase the likelyhood they get injured again

• 1-1, classic sneak a draw or win with no players available. Here is hoping!
  • Sage said:
    Whitestone has officiated Preston twice this season, they lost 3-2 and 1-0. Let’s hope we continue that run and beat them on Saturday.

Cullen to be on the bench and come on for Forster-Caskey midway through the second half. Oztumer to come on for Williams, and Hemed to come on for Davison and bag the winner.

Tough game where we are going to have to stand up against their aerial game plan, but once we get hold of the ball, it’s important to get players like Doughty, Williams, and Green on the ball high up the pitch. They can really hurt the Preston defence. Green to get in behind Bauer for the opening goal of the game, assisted by an excellent through ball from Forster-Caskey.

Phillips
    Lockyer Oshilaja Sarr
    Matthews Pratley Forster-Caskey Doughty
    Williams
    Davison Green

Maynard-Brewer, Pearce, Purrington, Cullen, Morgan, Oztumer, Hemed

Preston North End 1-2 Charlton Athletic
    Green
    Hemed
    As much as I'd like to see both Williams and JFC I'd be surprised if they both start. Be a big boost though. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm up there for this.
    If we dont lose by 3 goals I'm happy
  • edited January 2020
    Think the preview team is best we can hope for without rushing players back, that would be my team but feel he won’t start Morgan and maybe even leave him out altogether for Dempsey :(
    with Hemed and Williams JFC to replace Davison, Dempsey/Morgan and Osi 
    with personnel available I’d like a 4-4-2 though don’t think it will happen sadly

Phillips 
    matthews Lockyer Sarr Purrington
    green pratley Morgan doughty 
             Davison Hemed 

reverting to this 2nd half of doesn’t work 

Phillips 
    Matthews Lockyer Pratley Sarr Doughty 
              Williams Cullen JFC 
                Green Davison 
  • their recent form is worse than ours, their injury list nearly as bad .. however this gives me no real cause for optimism as we have lost our driving force in midfield with little prospect of Gallagher being replaced by the weekend. Another valuable run out for the young players will be good for the future
    So .. a draw

Preston North End 1 V CAFC 1
  • Sage said:
    Whitestone has officiated Preston twice this season, they lost 3-2 and 1-0. Let’s hope we continue that run and beat them on Saturday.

Cullen to be on the bench and come on for Forster-Caskey midway through the second half. Oztumer to come on for Williams, and Hemed to come on for Davison and bag the winner.

Tough game where we are going to have to stand up against their aerial game plan, but once we get hold of the ball, it’s important to get players like Doughty, Williams, and Green on the ball high up the pitch. They can really hurt the Preston defence. Green to get in behind Bauer for the opening goal of the game, assisted by an excellent through ball from Forster-Caskey.

Phillips
    Lockyer Oshilaja Sarr
    Matthews Pratley Forster-Caskey Doughty
    Williams
    Davison Green

Maynard-Brewer, Pearce, Purrington, Cullen, Morgan, Oztumer, Hemed

Preston North End 1-2 Charlton Athletic
    Green
    Hemed
    You are forgetting the player or players that get injured during the game and throw out your prophecy  :)
  • edited January 2020
    With Gallagher gone I would think Bowyer would go with Morgan over Dempsey. There is always the possibility somebody comes in tomorrow in time to play. They will probably go straight into the team. If Williams and Oztumer are fit to play some part, there is a logic in starting one to be replaced by the other. Davison has earned his starting place.  

I think the midfield is the key thing in this game. One new player coming in could be a massive help.
  • 0-0 first in a long, long time.
  • 1- 2, Sarr the enforcer and Hemed to break his duck.