Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cricket .. England in South Africa & Sri Lanka 2019/2020

The last test match of the decade featuring England starts in SA this Boxing Day.

One unusual fact . South Africa have selected six uncapped newcomers in their test squad to face England at Centurion. Of the six, five are aged thirty and one is aged twenty nine. No out and out 'bring on the youth' policy in South African cricket it seems.

England will be in for a very competitive winter in the differing conditions between South Africa and Sri Lanka. 

Comments

• edited December 2019
    South African cricket in a bit of disarray at the moment.
    The recently deposed CSA head has been replaced by Graeme Smith in the past couple of weeks, who no doubt will galvanise the side in his own style and will provide a stiff test for England regardless.
    When you consider, from 5 -8 years ago, they have lost the likes of Smith,Kallis,ABDV,Amla,Morkel,Steyn,Olivier,JPD, it is one hell of a depletion in their stocks, not really filled with talent of the same calibre.

I expect the SA side to be as follows...

Markham
    Elgar
    Du Plessis
    Bavuma
    VD Dussen
    Kock

Philander
    Rabada
    Nortje
    Hendricks
    Maharaj

Nortje is quick , very quick - i saw him at Newlands last Friday and he rushed very batsman he came up against.
    Hendricks will provide that left arm quick variety.

Cant help but think on the batting front, get past the top 4, and you have a chance of running through them.

• Looking at that bowling attack (and batting lineup) and the England one, I can't see too many matches going to Day 5...
  • SA are a total shambles - they lost 2-0 at home to SRI LANKA for god's sake, albeit in extraordinary circumstances. Yes, not to be underestimated, but they're a signal case of how to mismanage postcolonial transition. Instead of forcing black African players into sides artificially, why not...fund sports club in townships? Fund sports programmes in schools? Encourage coaches to visit the poorer, black areas and foster talent from an early age? I could go on. I see the reason for the quota system but I think there will be a lengthy period of pain before it pays off. Rabada is a once-a-generation outlier (and he went to an extremely good private school!)

Equally, we should have found the collective will to stop the Kolpak flood of white SA cricketers years ago. It may be improving the Championship (slightly) but it's destroying SA cricket. 

Obviously, I'm no expert and there are probably good arguments against what I'm saying, but I can't watch SA without wondering how good they could be.
  • (And whatever SA rugby are doing re: quotas etc, it's obviously working! Might make for a good comparison tbh)
  • Leuth said:
    SA are a total shambles - they lost 2-0 at home to SRI LANKA for god's sake, albeit in extraordinary circumstances. Yes, not to be underestimated, but they're a signal case of how to mismanage postcolonial transition. Instead of forcing black African players into sides artificially, why not...fund sports club in townships? Fund sports programmes in schools? Encourage coaches to visit the poorer, black areas and foster talent from an early age? I could go on. I see the reason for the quota system but I think there will be a lengthy period of pain before it pays off. Rabada is a once-a-generation outlier (and he went to an extremely good private school!)

Equally, we should have found the collective will to stop the Kolpak flood of white SA cricketers years ago. It may be improving the Championship (slightly) but it's destroying SA cricket. 

Obviously, I'm no expert and there are probably good arguments against what I'm saying, but I can't watch SA without wondering how good they could be.
    Hey,listen. SA cricket is alive and kicking. Participation is still very high in schools. For example, my sons (state) school in CT has 3 teams per grade, so thats 36 players at least out of a total pupil count of say,90 boys is a very high take up rate. I would suggest that there are far,far more boys playing cricket in school than in UK. And there is a huge element of black and coloured leagues being played.
    I think any side that loses the players of the calibre i have already mentioned is going to struggle to fill quickly - its just one of those cycles.
    One thing that SA always has is a steady production line of  quick bowlers, and Nortje is the new one off the block.
    To say they are a 'total shambles' and 'mismanage postcolonial transition' (whatever that means) is a bit of an over statement to say the least- a statement of someone who doesnt really know or understand the real situation.
  • Maybe you're right - and thank you for providing some knowledgeable context. It's just depressing when yet another player in his prime ups sticks to the County Championship (not having a pop at Morkel here - he'd certainly served his time!) - and all the while, black players elevated to the national team, Rabada and to some extent Ngidi aside, don't take to it so smoothly. Rooting for Bavuma to have a breakout season - he's due it
  • You did say 'in a bit of disarray' yourself only a few minutes ago, tbf ;)
  • Leuth said:
    You did say 'in a bit of disarray' yourself only a few minutes ago, tbf ;)
    Yes, in an administration sense.
  • Not seen Nortje bowl, but given the parlous state of the English batting, an attack containing Philander and Rabada alone, should give us plenty to think about.

If I were an SA fan, it would be the batting that worries me most, Bavuma is averaging 31 and is batting at four - that looks like a very thin line up to me. 

The other SA 'Kolpak' defector not listed above, was Kyle Abbott who tore Australia a new one a couple of years ago, and was a fine bowler.
  • What feels wrong is that whereas English cricketers get picked and discarded, with the option of them returning later, whereas with South Africans they take the Kolpak route and are lost to their country. Contrast Graeme Swann and Simon Harmer for example.

The only equivalent for England is back in the 80s where disgruntled players would go on rebel tours to S Africa and be banned, leading to the slightly bizarre situation of Gooch being banned in the early 80s and replaced in the team by the likes of the South African Allan Lamb!
  • Sponsored links:

• There was a time, when Lamby and Smithy, were our best players in the middle order - both with the thickest SA accents you could imagine.

Both had excellent records against the Windies, but were rather more supcetible to spin and lateral movement.

I remember the disastrous 1989 Ashes, when 'Judgey' Smith, was the only one who stood between us and complete humiliation, as even the likes of Kim Barnett and Chris Tavare were given a go in the top order.

I think Lambey has had a good life post cricket, but Smith had some very difficult times, but thankfully seems to have found happiness now.
  • Was very impressed with Van Der Dussen during the World Cup. One to keep an eye on

Didn't realise he was 30 though.
  • What feels wrong is that whereas English cricketers get picked and discarded, with the option of them returning later, whereas with South Africans they take the Kolpak route and are lost to their country. Contrast Graeme Swann and Simon Harmer for example.

The only equivalent for England is back in the 80s where disgruntled players would go on rebel tours to S Africa and be banned, leading to the slightly bizarre situation of Gooch being banned in the early 80s and replaced in the team by the likes of the South African Allan Lamb!
    Kolpak is a major factor in the exodus of SA cricketers as is the emigration of quite a few decent players  to (especially) New Zealand. The same is happening in rugby, many South Africans are now playing in Europe, Australia, the US and Canada and even qualifying for those countries. It seems there is no chance of earning the big bucks playing for too long in South Africa. Whatever, SA still turns out pretty competitive teams in most sports.
  • Ben18 said:
    Was very impressed with Van Der Dussen during the World Cup. One to keep an eye on

Didn't realise he was 30 though.
    VDD has a bit of Collingwood about him. Though in my opinion will get easily sussed by the likes of Archer and Jimmy.
  • Out of interest, if anybody is going to Newlands for Test match or T20/ODI, i have a small cottage on my property that i will be renting out - its about 7k from Newlands in the wine area of Constantia - obviously favourable rates to any Addick. If you are interested then PM me and i will send more details.

• BTW, the Test match at Newlands was sold out in the first week of November for all days. Mind you, at equivalent of 12 pounds per ticket, thats not a major surprise.
    Also, one of the reasons for the sell out may be that the temporary stand on the brewery side that they erect for the big test matches will not be there this year, as they are busy building a new stand that wont be ready til next season, so therefore capacity is reduced somewhat.
  • Philander is the most underrated bowler in the world, bowling average of 22 is incredible
  • Philander is the most underrated bowler in the world, bowling average of 22 is incredible
    and he's no mug with the bat .. as you say, he's 'gone under the radar' for far too long.
    and he's no mug with the bat .. as you say, he's 'gone under the radar' for far too long.
    Has 'previous' with Graeme Smith though, and Smith is now the SA Cricket supremo.

https://www.iol.co.za/sport/cricket/proteas/graeme-smith-questions-philanders-so-called-injuries-10640493

Must admit, i saw him bowl for Cape Town Blitz last Friday, and he didnt look fit. Bowled at 80 per cent, and the Saffers around me said he has been in and out of the side due to injuries all season.
    Has 'previous' with Graeme Smith though, and Smith is now the SA Cricket supremo.

https://www.iol.co.za/sport/cricket/proteas/graeme-smith-questions-philanders-so-called-injuries-10640493

Must admit, i saw him bowl for Cape Town Blitz last Friday, and he didnt look fit. Bowled at 80 per cent, and the Saffers around me said he has been in and out of the side due to injuries all season.
    @ age 34, I suspect he's now a bit of a picker and chooser .. made his debut years ago .. if I recall, during his time @ Kent, he was often out 'injured' 
  • Sponsored links:

@ age 34, I suspect he's now a bit of a picker and chooser .. made his debut years ago .. if I recall, during his time @ Kent, he was often out 'injured' 
    Played for Sussex a couple of seasons back, felt like he picked his games carefully even back then 

Played for Sussex a couple of seasons back, felt like he picked his games carefully even back then 
    He was a bit strange when he played for Sussex. A couple of times he looked world class, but there a few times when he looked very ordinary. No one really understood why.
  • BTW, the Test match at Newlands was sold out in the first week of November for all days. Mind you, at equivalent of 12 pounds per ticket, thats not a major surprise.
    Also, one of the reasons for the sell out may be that the temporary stand on the brewery side that they erect for the big test matches will not be there this year, as they are busy building a new stand that wont be ready til next season, so therefore capacity is reduced somewhat.
    Temporary stand used to house 2k. 
  • Looking at the batting scorecard, Sibley, Denly and Roor all retired out after making decent scores, whereas 4 others got out for 20 or less!
  • Bit worrying Parkinson's figures in this warm up game: 20-0-112-2 which isn't far short of a run a ball. Appreciate that Root will have more control but his return of 13-3-21-2 is in another dimension!
  • Bit worrying Parkinson's figures in this warm up game: 20-0-112-2 which isn't far short of a run a ball. Appreciate that Root will have more control but his return of 13-3-21-2 is in another dimension!
    I guess he was a bit rusty and hence was rather expensive. Also a bit surprised that Zak Crawley bowled 2 overs, seeing that he's barely bowled at all for Kent!
    They probably took Phil by mistake. Sunderland aren't doing a lot. Has he got a V neck sweater?
  • Some good names in that S African team, Nandre Burger and Rudi Second
  • Burger was all over Joe Root