Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How Many Takeaways Do You Have A Week?

This fella certainly enjoys them, think i struggle with 2 a month!

'I order takeaways six nights a week'

• 12 December 2019
  • Deliveroo rider at nightImage copyrightGETTY IMAGES

Ben Roberts orders takeaways five or six nights a week - and he often orders food to the office at lunchtime as well.

The 25-year-old software salesman reckons that some months he and his girlfriend might spend as much as £1,600 on takeaways.

He says that, on average, they will spend between £30 and £35 a night on an evening meal, and he'll also fork out around £6 a day for lunch.

They'll normally order Indian, Chinese or pizza but every so often they will go for the "healthy" option, like Nando's, he says.

He acknowledges that his food bill is extortionate but he blames "disgusting" hours and a windowless London kitchen for his reluctance to cook.

"It's inherent laziness," he says.

People like Mr Roberts might explain why London tops the rankings for spending on takeaways.

The typical Londoner forks out £709 a year ordering in, significantly more than the UK average of £451, according to a study by KPMG.

Behind London, the next biggest spenders on takeaway food are in Sheffield, where the average person spends £548 a year ordering in. People in Cardiff spend the least, forking out just over £200 for takeaways.

Typically, people in the UK order 34 takeaways a year, spending between £10 and £15 a time.

Bar chart showing that Londoners spend 709 a year on takeaways ahead of the 451 average People in Cardiff spend much less than average at just over 200 a year

Perhaps surprisingly, the most common way to order is on the phone, with just 32% of people saying they turned to apps like Just Eat, Deliveroo or Uber Eats.

But not everyone is like Mr Roberts - 42% of people said a takeaway remains a treat.

Easier ordering

Nevertheless, that is changing. In fact, the report's author, Will Hawkley, global head of leisure and hospitality at KPMG, said takeaways used to be reserved for a Friday night - but now his two kids pester him to order in more often.

"It's an overall lifestyle change," he says about the heavy spending on takeaways in the UK. "People are just looking for more and more convenience, they're busier, working harder."

That's borne out by the numbers, with 29% of people saying they order in for convenience.

"The introduction of the apps and the ordering platforms have made it so much easier," Mr Hawkley says. But he also says there is an excitement attached to ordering food in, which is not necessarily matched by cooking at home.

And that is helped by the range of options available. The survey showed that one in 20 people turned to take-out because of the variety of options available.

But it found that more than a fifth of people would order more often if there was a wider range of dishes on offer - and 25% said they wanted healthier dishes.

Mr Hawkley said the popularity of takeaway apps was changing the economics of High Street dining because restaurants can make money from their kitchen, even when its tables are empty.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50742094

Comments

• One a month, if that, if you don't count a bag of chips at Charlton
  • Once a week.
    Averages about £30.
    Blimey that's about £1500 per year.
    Never realised it was that much.
  • Honestly can’t remember the last time I had a takeaway. We normally cook every night, if we do fancy something we’d rather go to the restaurant.
  • Maybe twice a month, spend no more than £20, normally less.
  • Honestly can’t remember the last time I had a takeaway. We normally cook every night, if we do fancy something we’d rather go to the restaurant.
    I may have had the odd drunken kebab though.
    I may have had the odd drunken kebab though.
    prefer a sober kebab meself ((:>)
  • home delivery ? .. never .. from a takeaway shop ? .. rarely and mostly when on holiday or when away following de Addicks
  • I think a lot of it will depend on peoples living arrangements, with rents so high in London people will be renting a room rather than a property. Resulting in 4/5 adults sharing a (potentially dirty) kitchen.

No idea what the excuse is in Sheffield though, tough day down the mines?

• Usually once a week. Twice perhaps if we're feeling flushed. Have noticed that it's a lot more frequent since two of the family became veggie.  It's easier ordering than cooking separate meals. 
  • Sponsored links:

• varies between once a week to once a fortnight, always on a Saturday night....generally a curry or chinese

every now and again when we've both been at work during the week and there's no leftovers in the fridge, we'll order something quick from Uber eats
  • One takeaway a week and we eat out once a week as well. 
  • We might have a bit of Fish & Chips once or twice a month but that is it. We cook every night or go out to eat.
  • Once or twice a week. Depends after a day at work if I can be bothered to cook. Her indoors won’t cook or should I say can’t cook. So if I don’t rustle something up we don’t eat 😩
  • edited December 2019
    Once a month maybe. On the odd occasion twice a month. Chippy £15, Chinese about £25, Indian on the rare occasion about £30.

Aside from the Indian which I can walk to across the road and a really bad pizza/kebab place nothing delivers so I have to drive to get anything. That means if I’m feeling lazy I then remind myself I’m too lazy to go and drive to get anything so I end up cooking indoors.
  • Probably 8 a year, maybe. Eat out fairly regularly though 
  • Fish and chips maybe once every couple of months and the very occasional ruby. That's about it.

Nobody delivers to where we live!
  • One a month. Certainly not more.
  • edited December 2019
    Saulc23 said:
    I think a lot of it will depend on peoples living arrangements, with rents so high in London people will be renting a room rather than a property. Resulting in 4/5 adults sharing a (potentially dirty) kitchen.

No idea what the excuse is in Sheffield though, tough day down the mines?

Sheffield is a city absolutely bursting at the seams with students  (as are many cities nowadays .. England's one mega growth industry, further education) .. Oh and keep up, the mines and most factories closed long ago
  • bobmunro said:
    Fish and chips maybe once every couple of months and the very occasional ruby. That's about it.

that bad a neighborhood eh ? ((:>)
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:
    Fish and chips maybe once every couple of months and the very occasional ruby. That's about it.

that bad a neighborhood eh ? ((:>)
    It's a 'no go' area, Lincs. Even I get worried driving home.
  • I’m a sucker for a KFC on the way home ..... or a Chinese...  or McDs. Sometimes an indian or fish & chips with the Mrs. 

I eat a lot of takeaways 😳
  • Hardly any, and only if I'm out. I've never have anything delivered to my home

• Chicken & chips collected from the local shop , maybe twice a month, usually after a home game.
  • bobmunro said:

You should send the Butler out to pick it up for you. 
  • Hardly any, and only if I'm out. I've never have anything delivered to my home

That’s crazy but good on you. I don’t know anyone that hasn’t had a takeaway to the door. 

We do one a week minimum, either meal out or delivery
  • Sometimes two in a weekend (kebab/chip shop after a beer on Friday then a Chinese/Indian with the family on a Saturday) but then sometimes one in two months.
  • edited December 2019
    Hardly any, and only if I'm out. I've never have anything delivered to my home

That’s crazy but good on you. I don’t know anyone that hasn’t had a takeaway to the door. 

We do one a week minimum, either meal out or delivery
    I've always got plenty of food in the fridge of freezer, if I can't be bothered or too busy to cook something from scratch, heating something up is hardly a major chore