Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England v Montenegro / Kosovo

No real surprises with the players that have been called up...

Callum Hudson-Odoi maybe back in the Senior team a bit quick after only just returning from a big injury

Get one more point and we qualify for Euro 2020

Goalkeepers:
 Tom Heaton (Aston Villa), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Nick Pope (Burnley)

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Ben Chilwell (Leicester), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa), Danny Rose (Tottenham), John Stones (Manchester City), Fikayo Tomori (Chelsea), Kieran Trippier (Atletico Madrid)

Midfielders: Ross Barkley (Chelsea), Fabian Delph (Everton), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), James Maddison (Leicester City), Mason Mount (Chelsea), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Liverpool), Declan Rice (West Ham), Harry Winks (Tottenham)

Forwards: Tammy Abraham (Chelsea), Callum Hudson-Odoi (Chelsea), Harry Kane (Tottenham), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Callum Wilson (Bournemouth)

Comments

• I swear Delph has something on Southgate
  • Is that Walker missed out on the last two squads now?
  • edited November 2019
    I don’t particularly rate him but Smalling has been in tremendous form for Roma in Serie A. Gomez has been shit.
  • Why pick Henderson when he can't play v Montenegro? Surely a chance to put someone else in the squad.

Going to Wembley next week. First England game since 1973 ha ha.
  • Why pick Henderson when he can't play v Montenegro? Surely a chance to put someone else in the squad.

I’d imagine for experience. You look at the midfield squad, they are all young apart from Delph, who will no doubt be injured before they even meet up.
  • Gomez has only played 95 minutes of premier league football this season. Does he really deserve a spot when players like Tarkowski and Dunk are ever presents?

It still seems like Southgate picks some players on reputation and who they play for rather than form. 

• Gomez has only played 95 minutes of premier league football this season. Does he really deserve a spot when players like Tarkowski and Dunk are ever presents?

It still seems like Southgate picks some players on reputation and who they play for rather than form. 
    To be fair Gomez has played 7 full games in other comps. Had he been playing for Burnley or Brighton he would be an ever present too - it's just that there is only one CB position available to him in what is currently the top team in the country.

As for picking players for who they play for, there are plenty of players from less fashionable sides:

Heaton (Aston Villa)
    Pickford (Everton)
    Pope (Burnley)
    Delph (Everton)
    Chilwell (Leicester)
    Mings (Aston Villa)
    Maddison (Leicester)
    Rice (West Ham)
    Wilson (Bournemouth)

If one adds Maguire who was a fixture in the squad before he joined United that is 10 in total. He's also not afraid to throw youngsters in such as Tomori, Mount, Sancho, Hudson-Odoi and Abraham - players who under some England Managers would have had to wait a lot longer for their opportunity. Equally, Sancho and Trippier would have been ignored in eras gone by due to them moving abroad.
  • 3 of the players you've named are keepers and we don't have many/any at the top clubs.

Leicester won the league 4 years ago and are currently top 4.

Mings is in because he's a left footed centre back.
  • edited November 2019
    3 of the players you've named are keepers and we don't have many/any at the top clubs.

Leicester won the league 4 years ago and are currently top 4.

Mings is in because he's a left footed centre back.
    But you said "players on reputation and who they play for rather than form". Are you suggesting that Leicester are now getting preferential treatment in the same way as the perceived "big six". Southgate is also not afraid to leave players from the best clubs e.g. Walker.

Gomez, whilst not being at his best, has also not been on the losing side in any of his 10 games this season. He is also one of if not the best young centre backs in the country. You refer to Tarkowski and Dunk as being ever present but their sides have conceded 18 and 17 respectively in their 11 matches.

But let's turn it around - apart from Gomez, who from that squad would you say have been picked on reputation rather than form and you would consequently leave out? 
  • Sponsored links:

• We surely must have a better back-up left back than Danny Rose?
  • Will be interesting to see if Southgate involves Winks after his showing in the last game.

He's missed the last two Spurs games as Poch has opted for Ndombele sitting alongside Sissoko.
    Winks didn't even travel to Serbia for the CL game.  Poch claimed he was being rested but I'm not so sure.

We surely must have a better back-up left back than Danny Rose?
    Rosey looked much more like his old self on Wednesday night, although the opposition weren't up to much in truth.

To be fair Gomez has played 7 full games in other comps. Had he been playing for Burnley or Brighton he would be an ever present too - it's just that there is only one CB position available to him in what is currently the top team in the country.

As for picking players for who they play for, there are plenty of players from less fashionable sides:

Heaton (Aston Villa)
    Pickford (Everton)
    Pope (Burnley)
    Delph (Everton)
    Chilwell (Leicester)
    Mings (Aston Villa)
    Maddison (Leicester)
    Rice (West Ham)
    Wilson (Bournemouth)

If one adds Maguire who was a fixture in the squad before he joined United that is 10 in total. He's also not afraid to throw youngsters in such as Tomori, Mount, Sancho, Hudson-Odoi and Abraham - players who under some England Managers would have had to wait a lot longer for their opportunity. Equally, Sancho and Trippier would have been ignored in eras gone by due to them moving abroad.

To demonstrate how much better Southgate is at looking at the "lesser" clubs for players is concerned, this was the make up of Sven's 2006 World Cup squad:

Chelsea (4)
    Liverpool (4)
    Spurs (4)
    Arsenal (3)
    Man Utd (3)
    Man City (1)
    Newcastle (1)
    Middlesbrough (1)
    Bayern Munich (1)
    Real Madrid (1)

The Newcastle (finished 7th that season) player was Michael Owen. David James (City) and Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough) were the other players from teams that finished outside the top 5. Hargreaves and Beckham were the ones playing abroad.

And there were sound claims from players at non fashionable clubs - including one Darren Bent who was the top scoring Englishman in the PL that season and who finished 3rd behind Henry and Van Nistelrooy. Instead Sven went for Theo Walcott (aged 17) who, despite signing for Arsenal in the previous January, hadn't even played a PL game - and who didn't score a single PL goal in the season following the WC.

Now that really was picking a player from a top club rather than one that was in form!
  • I now can’t go the Montenegro game so I have 2 spare tickets, one adult one child in lower tier. If anyone wants them let me know. 
  • Got my tickets for Thursday, really looking forward to it. 
  • going thursday 
  • Glad to see the Ox back in the squad.
  • Fabien Delph has left the squad and has returned to Everton

Turned up for England duty with an injury it seems
  • Oh no what a shame.

How on earth will we cope without Delph
  • Sponsored links:

I’d imagine for experience. You look at the midfield squad, they are all young apart from Delph, who will no doubt be injured before they even meet up.
    I was one day out 
  • No Macaulay Bonne?
  • Seems that Southgate is going to name an extremely young team for this Montenegro game tonight

Could be exciting to watch as the youngest possible would be:

Henderson
    Alexander-Arnold | Gomez | Tomori | Chilwell
    Maddison | Rice | Mount
    Sancho | Abraham | Hudson-Odoi

Reckon we'll the below though:

Pickford
    Alexander-Arnold | Tomori | Maguire | Chilwell
    Winks | Rice | Mount
    Sancho | Abraham | Rashford
  • I disagree with this playing the younger players. It’s a cheat on the paying public for one Who want to see our elite players. Okay a settled team but make the one selection to provide the experience. 
  • I thought @Coyotejohn1947 was playing tonight?
  • edited November 2019
    Solidgone said:
    I disagree with this playing the younger players. It’s a cheat on the paying public for one Who want to see our elite players. Okay a settled team but make the one selection to provide the experience. 
    Most of our elite players are youngsters though.

TAA, Chilwell, Maddison, Mount, Sancho, Abraham are all in good form this season and would all be deserving of a start.
  • Its a better looking team in fairness.

Mount over Maddison for like the 4th time and I don’t get why.
  • Stones.  Surely not.  
  • Little bit disappointed with that squad after it was supposed to be one of our youngest ever

Maddison continues to piss in Southgate's cornflakes