Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2020 qualifying

Comments

• Where you getting that info from mate?
  • edited October 2019
    If both England and Scotland qualify they will be in the same group and a draw will decide where the game between them is played.

So it could be 3 at Wembley or 2 there and the 3rd vs Scotland @ Hampden
    If Scotland don't make it, all 3 will be at Wembley
    Unless you've corrected yourself in the next post then that doesnt seem to be the case

At the moment England will qualify outright and Scotland will have to go via. the Play-Offs which covers the second bullet point in your next post (that being): 
    • If one host team qualifies directly, and the other advances to the play-offs or is eliminated entirely, the directly qualified host team will play all three group stage matches at home, and the other host, if qualified, will play only two.
  • First post was what I believed to be the case.
    checked it and reposted the 2nd with the correct info.

basically the only difference is if Scotland could qualify directly.
    As they can’t it would suggest all 3 games will be at Wembley.

you had previously mentioned if Scotland qualify then England would have a game at Hampden which is wrong, unless I’m mistaken.
    Which with the complicated qualifying process of this Euros, is entirely plausible.
  • Just got in from a great evening meeting Steve Dixon, Kevin Merrick (both Valley Party comrades) and their partners who are out here for the game. They had great stories about their other trips to England games, such as the World Cup semi in Moscow, on a night sleeper train from Helsinki, and to Ljubljana, and all around France. And as they said, the places they've been to, the people they met, and our reunion tonight - last time Kev and I saw each other was probably Woolwich Town Hall , May 1990- is thanks to football. We -those who don't do it -  perhaps lose sight of that positive aspect of following England abroad. 

Anyway, to all Addicks who are here...Welcome to Prague! 
  • edited October 2019
    Wait a minute. Are we seriously having a conversation about whether Scotland will qualify? :)
    we were only ever going to make it through the playoffs so have been taking it easy, tonight was us letting Russia regain a bit of pride after the rugby. i make that 61-4 on aggregate...
  • Where do Scotland go from here? Currently sitting below Cyprus and Kazahkstan in their group and they'll probably be a record low crowd for their next match, San Marino at home this weekend.
  • Tough result for Northern Ireland. Magennis put them ahead in Holland after 75 minutes.........but they still lost 3-1 and surely now they won't qualify.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2019
    Where do Scotland go from here? Currently sitting below Cyprus and Kazahkstan in their group and they'll probably be a record low crowd for their next match, San Marino at home this weekend.
    It’s very difficult, whilst the pool of talent  to pick from really is rotten, and a pervasive culture of drop outs doesn’t seem to help, Clarke doesn’t seem to be doing the best with the very little he has to pick from. This group - and particularly the Belgium and to a lesser extent Russia games  - was always going to be challenging but it’s the manner of the defeats that is very difficult to take. 

I think I've mentioned before but I don’t believe there is a short term fix to this and Scottish football needs a root and branch review to consider changes such as:

- reducing the number of teams/divisions in the SPFL to a number sustainable for a country of 6 million people
    - changing to a summer calendar 
    - getting rid of Hampden Park at the next lease break
    - stronger connection to grass roots, possibly in connection with the Scottish Government (health/obesity in Scotland is a national scandal) to create a pipeline of talent. I live in Peckham and on Saturday & Sunday morning the Rye is home to about 10 football pitches with kids playing formal, organised matches. I hardly ever see this sort of thing in Scotland.

It’s shameful because, in terms of attending football matches, Scotland has one of (if not the) highest percentages of population attending every weekend (helps that about 1% go to a single stadium!). But that’s partly the issue, we’ve become a nation of football watchers, not players.
  • se9addick said:
    Where do Scotland go from here? Currently sitting below Cyprus and Kazahkstan in their group and they'll probably be a record low crowd for their next match, San Marino at home this weekend.
    It’s very difficult, whilst the pool of talent  to pick from really is rotten, and a pervasive culture of drop outs doesn’t seem to help, Clarke doesn’t seem to be doing the best with the very little he has to pick from. This group - and particularly the Belgium and to a lesser extent Russia games  - was always going to be challenging but it’s the manner of the defeats that is very difficult to take. 

I think I've mentioned before but I don’t believe there is a short term fix to this and Scottish football needs a root and branch review to consider changes such as:

- reducing the number of teams/divisions in the SPFL to a number sustainable for a country of 6 million people
    - changing to a summer calendar 
    - getting rid of Hampden Park at the next lease break
    - stronger connection to grass roots, possibly in connection with the Scottish Government (health/obesity in Scotland is a national scandal) to create a pipeline of talent. I live in Peckham and on Saturday & Sunday morning the Rye is home to about 10 football pitches with kids playing formal, organised matches. I hardly ever see this sort of thing in Scotland.

It’s shameful because, in terms of attending football matches, Scotland has one of (if not the) highest percentages of population attending every weekend (helps that about 1% go to a single stadium!). But that’s partly the issue, we’ve become a nation of football watchers, not players.
    players constantly pulling out of squads is killing us, anyone who regularly pulls out can fuck off.

we're shit anyway so i'd rather have the lads who want to be there playing with each other regularly rather than a completely different line up every game due to withdrawals 

i'm almost ok with Steven Caulker getting called up next month if he is committed to the team
  • Its a shame for Scotland that their most exciting prospect: Billy Gilmour plays in a position that they're not really weak in at the moment

Midfield is probably the best area of the whole team else I'd suggest giving him a run out 
  • Where do Scotland go from here? Currently sitting below Cyprus and Kazahkstan in their group and they'll probably be a record low crowd for their next match, San Marino at home this weekend.
    They need to merge with another country and get better players in. The British Virgin Islands would be ideal. 
  • @The Organiser

Which pub is it, do you recall the name?
  • edited October 2019
    https://twitter.com/Laurencereade/status/1182417702733975557

But not our lads, they've got class, they are on the Pilsner Urquell :-)
  • The beer looks good. 
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    Just seen this on Facebook 
    The man on the train back from Watford who questioned Meire. Well done that man you shall not be forgotten. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Looks like Andorra are going to pull off a rare win. Currently 1-0 up against Moldova. 
  • Looks like Andorra are going to pull off a rare win. Currently 1-0 up against Moldova. 
    Congrats to Andorra... managed to hold on!!

The Nations League might be laughed at by many but its teaching small teams (bar Scotland) how if you venture out of your half, you might just win
  • The beer looks good. 
    Of course. They chose a proper Czech pub instead of the overpriced Irish places which dont know how to look after Czech beer.
  • Oh, great. Czechs are having their " your boys have taken a terrible beating tonight" moment.
  • Big night for Ireland tonight. A win for them in Georgia and a draw between Denmark and Switzerland will give them a great chance of qualifying. If they drop points tonight then there's huge pressure on them as they go to Switzerland in midweek.
  • Sergio Ramos moves up to 8th on the all time list for capped players, now has 168 caps.

7 men ahead of him, 2 of whom are still active and both have 173.

All 3 have a pretty good shot at beating the record of 184 caps but given the other 2 play for Oman and Kuwait, i think it's fair to say Ramos' achievement to play at that level for a side as good as Spain is much better.
  • edited October 2019
    @The Organiser

Which pub is it, do you recall the name?
    @PragueAddick

u Templáře
  • San Marino are 50-1 to beat Scotland and the draw is 33-1. Just sayin.   Less than 10k tickets sold. Nothing to play for. Squad would rather be in the beach.  I’ve got a massive 10p on each.  
  • Schmeichel saved Denmark.
    Four the best saves you'll ever see.
    At 0.46, 1.20, 2.05 and 4.10.

http://en.futbik.org/40177-video_denmark_1-0_switzerland_euro_europe_2019-10-12.html

• San Marino are 50-1 to beat Scotland and the draw is 33-1. Just sayin.   Less than 10k tickets sold. Nothing to play for. Squad would rather be in the beach.  I’ve got a massive 10p on each.  
    Bizarre decision to play it at Hampden. Surely would've been better at somewhere like Hibs or Hearts and give out free tickets to kids.