Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2020 qualifying

Comments

• edited December 2018

have just booked return flights for prague 209 each flying in and out of stansted.

@PragueAddick any idea what stadium the game will be played in? just so we know rough capacity

It will almost certainly be Eden, the home of Slavia. Capacity just over 20,000. That's the best they've got. Nice modern stadium, keeps the sound in, but a bit of a pain to get to from the centre, at least by Prague standards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinobo_Stadium

http://www.stadiumguide.com/edenarena/
  • Eden was easy to get to. 20-25 minute tram ride from centre when we went to try to get tickets for their last match v Slovakia.
    Admittedly this was on the morning of the match so didn’t have the crowd to deal with.
    Did notice other tram routes go to bohemians ground, which is on the same road as Eden about a 10 minute walk away. I think you can also pick up the metro if you walk about a mile from Eden going away from centre.
  • have just booked return flights for prague 209 each flying in and out of stansted.

@PragueAddick any idea what stadium the game will be played in? just so we know rough capacity

It will almost certainly be Eden, the home of Slavia. Capacity just over 20,000. That's the best they've got. Nice modern stadium, keeps the sound in, but a bit of a pain to get to from the centre, at least by Prague standards.

Prague,

What are the Czech national supporters like? Historically an away game in that Eastern Europe region can always be a tad lively and one to be cautious with, but I can’t say I’ve heard much about the Czechs in this respect.

Also, do they sell out normally? I’d expect our visit will attract plenty of interest either way.

Will be interested esp as we could well end up without tickets officially.

Unfortunately I’m sure this will attract our bell ends in their hundreds and Prague will be much less lovely than a non-football visit as a result.
  • Tickets for the home game v C Republic on sale to travel members now public sale next week I think.
  • have just booked return flights for prague 209 each flying in and out of stansted.

Prague,

What are the Czech national supporters like? Historically an away game in that Eastern Europe region can always be a tad lively and one to be cautious with, but I can’t say I’ve heard much about the Czechs in this respect.

Also, do they sell out normally? I’d expect our visit will attract plenty of interest either way.

Unfortunately I’m sure this will attract our bell ends in their hundreds and Prague will be much less lovely than a non-football visit as a result.
    Hello mate. You are right, I cannot think of a single incident involving Czech fans in an international game. I'd go so far as to say that England fans who were suitably respectful could sit in "home" areas for this game. Slavia-Sparta is supposed to be the big derby, but when I went with my buddy (who is Sparta) in the home areas for last season's match, I was amazed to find ordinary fans of both teams, in colours, mixing happily. Slightly surreal was that near us were the Sparta ultras, fenced in, behaving like dicks, setting fire to seats, but it was like the whole thing was posturing. Admittedly, when Sparta went ahead a Sparta fan near us stood up and larged it, and blood started pouring from his neck. Except it wasn't blood. He'd just got the last of a Slavia fan's hot dog.

There are two complicating factors to this rosy picture. The first, as you say, are our bell-ends. the second is Czech plod. They haven't got a clue. All about ridiculously overblown shows of force, and doubtless they will be even more hyped up because of the reputation of our lot.

In the end though, Czech footie fans hold English football, and English fans in almost mythically high regard.And generally they a re a non-confrontation people, quite different to the Poles. You never see the kind of random violence which can break out in any English pub. If you can choose the right type of pub I'd hope you'd make some contact and end up having a good time.

I think it will be close to a sell out, but at 21,000 that's not difficult, and obviously depends how the Czech team have done up to then.

I'll be happy to keep you posted as we get nearer the time about what's being said locally, and help you with any stuff you need to know or check out.

Prague,

Hello mate. You are right, I cannot think of a single incident involving Czech fans in an international game. I'd go so far as to say that England fans who were suitably respectful could sit in "home" areas for this game. Slavia-Sparta is supposed to be the big derby, but when I went with my buddy (who is Sparta) in the home areas for last season's match, I was amazed to find ordinary fans of both teams, in colours, mixing happily. Slightly surreal was that near us were the Sparta ultras, fenced in, behaving like dicks, setting fire to seats, but it was like the whole thing was posturing. Admittedly, when Sparta went ahead a Sparta fan near us stood up and larged it, and blood started pouring from his neck. Except it wasn't blood. He'd just got the last of a Slavia fan's hot dog.

There are two complicating factors to this rosy picture. The first, as you say, are our bell-ends. the second is Czech plod. They haven't got a clue. All about ridiculously overblown shows of force, and doubtless they will be even more hyped up because of the reputation of our lot.

In the end though, Czech footie fans hold English football, and English fans in almost mythically high regard.And generally they a re a non-confrontation people, quite different to the Poles. You never see the kind of random violence which can break out in any English pub. If you can choose the right type of pub I'd hope you'd make some contact and end up having a good time.

I think it will be close to a sell out, but at 21,000 that's not difficult, and obviously depends how the Czech team have done up to then.

I'll be happy to keep you posted as we get nearer the time about what's being said locally, and help you with any stuff you need to know or check out.

Can you get us any tickets ??

Prague,

Can you get us any tickets ??
    I haven't got any special contacts, no. Not sure I will go myself at this stage. But if anything comes up, I'll for sure put it on here.

• thanks Prague we are all booked up flights/hotel just need tickets so if you hear of any or how to get home end let us know,we are upstanding citizens and im fluent in czech
  • and can you get us a discount in Darlings ?
  • or Goldfingers
  • Sponsored links:

• or Goldfingers

Only if you do a survey
  • thanks Prague we are all booked up flights/hotel just need tickets so if you hear of any or how to get home end let us know,we are upstanding citizens and im fluent in czech

Good, you can translate for me then:-)

Sure, I'll keep you all posted on tickets via this thread.

Darlings and Goldfingers are so mug punter. Erotic massage is the thing for the discerning Czech gentleman...:-)

Good, you can translate for me then:-)

Sure, I'll keep you all posted on tickets via this thread.

Darlings and Goldfingers are so mug punter. Erotic massage is the thing for the discerning Czech gentleman...:-)

I'll av some of that then
  • I suppose everyone has seen variations on this article. ? UEFA deserve the criticism. if it really had to be Friday at least it could have been a 19.00 KO. I'm afraid Czech plod are going to be much in evidence, and they like to dress for the occasion, all tooled up and quite often with their silly balaclavas. Oh well, a lot of you guys know the drill, don't try to argue with them. 

I have got some travel tips regarding getting to the stadium from the centre, which is a pain in the arse. Most people coming from the centre take the metro to Zelivskeho, then walk down the hill to the stadium, which takes about 20 mins. There are buses from the metro station but they are likely to be full. Some go on to the next metro station on the line, Strasnicka, and then walk (20 plus mins, or hop on a tram). Getting back to both metro stations is more problematic as everyone is piling onto the buses and trams at the same time. Zelivskeho is worse then, cos you are walking up quite a steep hill.

But there is another route, involving the main train line. From the main station (Hlavni nadrazi) you can take a train to Praha -Vrsovice, a journey of only 4 mins, then it is a 20 minute walk to the stadium (20 min walks are what that bloody stadium does). There are trains at 19.35, 19.47 and 19.55. On the way back in, not so frequent, cos it is so late, but there are trains at 23.18 (tight), 23.48 and 00.01. The advantage is, much more capacity on the train, less people using it, and less attention from plod en route, and if you have a one day or 72 hour pass, its valid on the trains. 

If you want to drink and eat away from the centre and all that hassle, you could do worse than take the metro out to Jiriho z Podebrad (which is on the  line to the stadium). This area is Prague hipster central, but its not that hip, plenty of serious pubs, and moderately priced restaurants and cafes.

Any other last minute questions on that sort of thing, I'll happily try and answer.
  • Prague, is non-alcoholic beer readily available in bars out there? For health reasons I can’t drink on this trip and sugar will be just as bad which rules out plenty of soft drinks. I find the non-alcoholic stuff much better these days, so hoping I can drink a few of those.
  • Hello @The Organiser Sorry to hear that mate. Actually I had a similar short-term  problem when I had 4 weeks on anti-biotics this summer so I too have been getting into this stuff. Every bar will have a 0% beer, however if it is a Pilsner Urquell pub it will be Birrell, which isn't very good. The best Czech ones I have tasted are from Bernard and Svijany, so if you see pubs with their logos outside that's a good bet (their regular beers are excellent too, and I believe the two things are connected). I am not sure but I think in the stadium it will be only 0% due to UEFA, and the last time I was there the stadium beer was Budvar. I haven't tasted their zero, but they are good brewers. 

Hope you have a great trip
  • When I was last out there I went to see a couple of grounds.
    I stay at Ujed on the Mala Strana side and am sure I got a 25 minute tram ride straight to Bohemians ground and Slavias ground is walkable from there.
  • When I was last out there I went to see a couple of grounds.
    I stay at Ujezd on the Mala Strana side and am sure I got a 25 minute tram ride straight to Bohemians ground and Slavias ground is walkable from there.
    The same trams run straight on a couple of stops to Slavia, sure. If you are over on Ujezd side you may also get on them OK, but by the time they get the other side of the river they can start to get too full. That's why if you are near the metro stations most people opt for the metro. But whether the transport company will lay on extra metros is a question, they are not so flexible. The more I think about it, the more UEFA need shooting for ignoring the pleas to change the date, and especially the KO time.

Also another warning on the transport front. Make sure if you are travelling to and from the airport by public transport that you have valid tickets. The ticket inspectors are often at Nadrazi Veleslavin, the metro interchange with the airport buses. That's also where I live so I see them, targetting tourists. I gave them some shit for it, just this morning. Get your tickets at the aiprort, and go for the 72 hour one, its cheap as chips for Londoners. And then validate it when you get on the aiprort bus by punching it into the yellow boxes that are inside the bus at several points.
  • Hello @The Organiser Sorry to hear that mate. Actually I had a similar short-term  problem when I had 4 weeks on anti-biotics this summer so I too have been getting into this stuff. Every bar will have a 0% beer, however if it is a Pilsner Urquell pub it will be Birrell, which isn't very good. The best Czech ones I have tasted are from Bernard and Svijany, so if you see pubs with their logos outside that's a good bet (their regular beers are excellent too, and I believe the two things are connected). I am not sure but I think in the stadium it will be only 0% due to UEFA, and the last time I was there the stadium beer was Budvar. I haven't tasted their zero, but they are good brewers. 

Hope you have a great trip
    Thanks for the detail mate. Funnily enough Birrell was the one I’d read more positive reviews about. Each to their own and I’ll attempt to try them all.

Sounds like Prague will be very busy this week with up to 6k England, signal festival, a state funeral, an Environment protest and NI turning up ahead of Monday.

I hope it all goes off okay but fear the worst given the different factors at play.
  • On the plane now to Prague flight fairly busy 
  • Sponsored links:

• The "state funeral" is a particularly bizarre complication. It is not quite a "state funeral" but a funeral with full State honours" for a singer, called Karel Gott, who is unquestionably a Czech icon and was popular in some other countries too, but his funeral has been appropriated as an issue by the PM and president, both populists. It will mainly be on the other side of the river. Probably best if our fans don't sing too much in the vicinity of lots of older people walking in a long silent line.
  • only been to Prague once, but loved it - enjoy the trip those going.
  • I can’t find it on another thread, but I swear I read someone say that all of England’s group games at Euro 2020 will now be at Wembley because Scotland’s qualification troubles. But online I can only see that we will still play a game at Hampden Park??
  • I can’t find it on another thread, but I swear I read someone say that all of England’s group games at Euro 2020 will now be at Wembley because Scotland’s qualification troubles. But online I can only see that we will still play a game at Hampden Park??
    Wont we play @ Wembley unless Scotland qualify themselves (can still manage it via the Play-Offs) - If that happens then we play a single game at Hampden Park because teams are going to go into Groups where their Cities are
  • I though they’re all at Wembley unless the Jocks qualify though the traditional method (which they now won’t) rather than through the nations league second chance.

But, I dint think anyone is properly sure.
    Wont we play @ Wembley unless Scotland qualify themselves (can still manage it via the Play-Offs) - If that happens then we play a single game at Hampden Park because teams are going to go into Groups where their Cities are
    I though they’re all at Wembley unless the Jocks qualify though the traditional method (which they now won’t) rather than through the nations league second chance.

But, I dint think anyone is properly sure.
    I've got a feeling it was @palarsehater that posted it, perhaps he can clear it up.
  • Playing at Hampden seems a bit daft.
  • Playing at Hampden seems a bit daft.
     It’s about time that had a decent international team playing a game there. 
  • If both England and Scotland qualify they will be in the same group and a draw will decide where the game between them is played.

So it could be 3 at Wembley or 2 there and the 3rd vs Scotland @ Hampden
    If Scotland don't make it, all 3 will be at Wembley
  • edited October 2019

The host cities were divided into six pairings, established on the basis of sporting strength (assuming all host teams qualify), geographical considerations, and security/political constraints. The pairings were allocated to groups by means of a random draw on 7 December 2017. Each qualified host country will play a minimum of two matches at home. The group venue pairings is as follows:

The following criteria apply to define the home matches of host teams within the same group:

• If both host teams qualify directly or both advance to the play-offs, a draw will determine which team will play all three group stage matches at home (i.e. which will host the head-to-head match), and which will play only two matches at home.
    • If one host team qualifies directly, and the other advances to the play-offs or is eliminated entirely, the directly qualified host team will play all three group stage matches at home, and the other host, if qualified, will play only two.
    • If one host team advances to the play-offs, and the other is eliminated entirely, the host team in the play-offs, if qualified, will play all three group stage matches at home.
    • No action is necessary should both host teams fail to qualify.