Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Forest Green | Carabao Cup 19/20 R1 | 13/08/19 | Post-Match Thread

123457»

Comments

• JFC will come good. As will Feild.
    And Sheff United
  • Last nights performance does highlight perhaps we dont have a strong as 2nd string as some of the other bigger teams in this. Which is why I think it's important for us to get as many points on the board as early posisble for yhe injuries and suspensions start coming in to play.
  • edited August 2019
    I'll say it... based on the dodgy link last night... IMO Bonne was worse than Parker in his games for us.

Parker probably would be a better option than Bonne this season based on that performance. Luckily we can't base a player on one game, but the lad does need to shine if he comes on this weekend.
  • wmcf123 said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    Last night showed that Bowyer has definitely been playing the right players. Not many positives from last night. Bowyer was fuming for most of the game at Deji and George.

I agree with him about Albie too. He should have been showing what he can do against them yesterday and he really wasn't.

My biggest worry though is if Lyle gets injured or suspended. We have no cover.

As a side note, it shows that Solly is still better than people on here give him credit for. Wiredu is highly rated and I am sure will be a good player but he didn't look close to Solly last night.
    People defo give Chris far too much stick, he can still play and is a solid choice at RB. His legs haven't got yet, contrary to what people say about him
    Solly is nowhere near the player he was 7 years ago.  He played well enough on Saturday, after the first twenty or so . You’d expect him to be better than Wiredu, who as far as I am aware is a midfielder, with minimal experience 
    That maybe true but if he was he'd be playing in the Premiership now and not for us. He was that good before his knees gave up on him.

He still has enough nous to do a job for us, despite his knees, and one thing you know with Chris is that he is totally committed to the cause.

We could do a lot worse. Graham Murty anyone?
  • edited August 2019
    I think we suffered from a rustiness. Lapslie can do a job as a sub in this league with quality around him, he just can't provide the quality. Likewise, but for different reasons, Morgan needs that quality too and a loan to the right club is the correct thing for him at this point in time, and Field is clearly not up to speed yet. We can't expect too much from JFC at this point, I'm sure he will be a decent bench option for us through the season.

Nobody really staked a claim bar Sarr. But overall, I'm sure Bowyer is pleased not to have the distraction. As you progress in the competition you are under increased pressure to play at least some first teamers and we don't have the squad to risk that. We will see similar in the FA cup. As Bowyer responded, when suggested going out to Doncaster with our reserve side was a missed opportunity, "What to win it?"

Barnsley is the big game. Bowyer knows that and so should we. This is a tough league, despite our start and focus has to be totally on it.
    I think @MuttleyCAFC hits the nail on the head with this analysis.  But please CAFC don’t expect me to part with any more of my hard earned to watch a cup tie again anytime soon. 
  • I'm going trump your Graham Murty @LenGlover with a Steve Harrison ex Watford 81/82 season.  ;)
  • Ridiculous way to treat the competition. A few main players on the bench to throw on around 70 minutes would have gotten us a prem club in the next round. Unbeaten run carries on with a chance to improve some fringe players, plus much needed cash. Charlton have been doing this without success for a long time, wrongly in my opinion.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    I'll say it... based on the dodgy link last night... IMO Bonne was worse than Parker. 

Parker probably would be a better option than Bonne this season based on that performance. Luckily we can't base a player on one game, but the lad does need to shine if he comes on this weekend.
    I thought Bonne did okay last night given he had little or no service. Impossible to make a meaningful judgement.
    I don't disagree with the bold bit. I disagree that he did okay... He scored a penalty, but didn't work hard enough for me (in the time the link was working at least)
  • Sponsored links:

• I think it depends what you want out of them. Parker definitely appeared to be a better player at holding the ball up and I think Bonne is more of a goal scorer. What Bonne clearly isn’t though is a striker up on his own. 

I am am not really sure either are good enough but Bonne has a great opportunity to show he can improve and who knows maybe he can in time form a good partnership with Taylor.
  • I think we suffered from a rustiness. Lapslie can do a job as a sub in this league with quality around him, he just can't provide the quality. Likewise, but for different reasons, Morgan needs that quality too and a loan to the right club is the correct thing for him at this point in time, and Field is clearly not up to speed yet. We can't expect too much from JFC at this point, I'm sure he will be a decent bench option for us through the season.

Nobody really staked a claim bar Sarr. But overall, I'm sure Bowyer is pleased not to have the distraction. As you progress in the competition you are under increased pressure to play at least some first teamers and we don't have the squad to risk that. We will see similar in the FA cup. As Bowyer responded, when suggested going out to Doncaster with our reserve side was a missed opportunity, "What to win it?"

Barnsley is the big game. Bowyer knows that and so should we. This is a tough league, despite our start and focus has to be totally on it.
    Not true that Bowyer is "pleased not to have the distraction".  He says explicitly in his post-match comments (q.v.) that he wanted further games in the cup - Forest Green have drawn Bournemouth in the next round - as competitive tests for players on the fringe of the first team. 
  • masicat said:
    Ridiculous way to treat the competition. A few main players on the bench to throw on around 70 minutes would have gotten us a prem club in the next round. Unbeaten run carries on with a chance to improve some fringe players, plus much needed cash. Charlton have been doing this without success for a long time, wrongly in my opinion.
    I agree that it would've been good to keep the unbeaten run going and have another game for the fringe players, but we aren't going to make much money from a 9-10k crowd at Bournemouth.
  • wmcf123 said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    Last night showed that Bowyer has definitely been playing the right players. Not many positives from last night. Bowyer was fuming for most of the game at Deji and George.

I agree with him about Albie too. He should have been showing what he can do against them yesterday and he really wasn't.

My biggest worry though is if Lyle gets injured or suspended. We have no cover.

As a side note, it shows that Solly is still better than people on here give him credit for. Wiredu is highly rated and I am sure will be a good player but he didn't look close to Solly last night.
    People defo give Chris far too much stick, he can still play and is a solid choice at RB. His legs haven't got yet, contrary to what people say about him
    Solly is nowhere near the player he was 7 years ago.  He played well enough on Saturday, after the first twenty or so . You’d expect him to be better than Wiredu, who as far as I am aware is a midfielder, with minimal experience 
    As long as Solly starts we need to get behind him - he can still do a job. I'm assuming LB will look for cover as Wiredu doesn't look ready. I'm disappointed Dijksteel wasn't replaced...
    Bowyer said we need a right back and would be looking at free agents, Dijksteel could still be replaced.
  • Absolutely laughable to say that we now have two players for every position.
    We could only trust Sarr to come in and play for the first team. The others were shockingly poor. Bowyer knows that, it was there for all to see. Once we get injuries, suspensions, lack of form and players leaving in January it will be extremely difficult to stay in the championship with this squad.
    You could also say it's absolutely laughable to write off our chances if we have to use players that featured last night. It's far too early to judge the new signings, some of them aren't fully fit and have been with us a matter of weeks or even days. JFC has spent the best part of a year out injured. If they play in the first team they won't be playing alongside several youngsters that aren't ready.

Not even Bowyer says we have two players per position, we're waiting to find out about Hemed and he also wants to sign a right back.

I'm confident we'll stay up and I can see us doing more than just fighting relegation all season.
  • edited August 2019
    I think we suffered from a rustiness. Lapslie can do a job as a sub in this league with quality around him, he just can't provide the quality. Likewise, but for different reasons, Morgan needs that quality too and a loan to the right club is the correct thing for him at this point in time, and Field is clearly not up to speed yet. We can't expect too much from JFC at this point, I'm sure he will be a decent bench option for us through the season.

Not true that Bowyer is "pleased not to have the distraction".  He says explicitly in his post-match comments (q.v.) that he wanted further games in the cup - Forest Green have drawn Bournemouth in the next round - as competitive tests for players on the fringe of the first team. 
    He would have been happy with further games in the cup to give squad players game time, bit if he really cared he would have put out a better side. The evidence is there to see, simply by looking at the starting eleven and ability to change things from the bench.
  • The entire game is now available to watch on Valley Pass...
  • Scoham said:
    The entire game is now available to watch on Valley Pass...
    Happy. Days  ;)
  • Looks like Forest Green forgot how to take penalties tonight 
  • Sponsored links:

• So Bournemouth reserves draw 0-0 with Forest Green.

The only difference to our game was the outcome of the penalty shootout.