Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Forest Green | Carabao Cup 19/20 R1 | 13/08/19 | Post-Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Nice to see really... Last season we really did play kids against Milton Keynes Dons whilst in the FA Cup; Bowyer didnt care about it because it was a side show to the main event, knew we werent going to win the competition so there was no point remaining in it

This season Bowyer was able to try and give it a proper go what with the players he's brought in, just a shame they didnt!!
  • Options
    Good thing is we only have one more "glad we lost the league matters more" games this season, or Cup games to the rest of the football World.

For over a decade or more we have fielded shi t teams in cups and got turned over. When you remove the whole first team and put all kids in the subs bench it just 100% says "we don't give a shit", "run around a bit get fit,don't get hurt".

Fighting to stay in a division------ Cup don't matter
    Fighting to go up----Cup don't matter
    A few injuries----Cup don't matter
    Small squad----Cup don't matter

I'm sure we must have the worst League Cup record of any team,with our FACility record only held up by 1947 !!

Still the Cup don't matter
  • Options
    Guardian website claims that the Forest Green Goalkeeper: Joseph Wollacott used to flip burgers here at the Valley?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/aug/13/crewe-middlesbrough-penalties-carabao-cup-first-round
  • Options
    Forest Green win 5-3 on pens.

JFC with a horrible pen in normal time. Bonne absolutely smashed his into the net in the shootout. Makes the decision for JFC to take the pen in normal time even more bizarre
    agree...as a striker, you'd have thought he'd be itching to get off the mark
  • Options
    We were crap. Didn't show Forest Green enough respect - they're not some non-league outfit they were in the playoffs last season. They played some nice football and looked like a team. Yes some of our players are undoubtedly better but the same could be said of Stoke's players being better than ours: what matters is how you play as a team and we played like a group who'd only just met each other. It says a lot when Sarr, a defender, had our best shot and won the penalty that JFC squandered. 
    Credit due as well to Forest Green's goalie - he stopped Sarr's thunderbolt and saved a penalty in normal time; not sure if he got a hand to the one we missed. 
    I promised myself last year not to do a cup game again. I was on enough of a high after Saturday to fall for it again. 
    At least it didn't rain. 
  • Options

JFC with a horrible pen in normal time. Bonne absolutely smashed his into the net in the shootout. Makes the decision for JFC to take the pen in normal time even more bizarre
    Going by an earlier post and from what I saw on the Stream it looked as though Bonne was going to take it as he initially had the ball under his arm after the penalty was given - Didnt understand why Forster-Caskey was suddenly standing over the ball waiting for it to be taken, can only presume that he pulled rank
  • Options
    Am I correct in thinking JFC only recently signed a one-year contract extension? If so, he really does need to start putting in some good performances otherwise he will gradually get frozen out of the 18 day match squad. I thought it was a shame Billy Clarke couldn't re-establish himself after his ACL injury. Whilst it is great for those with sky high wages in the Premier League, sometimes it's tough being a footballer.
  • Options
    Good thing is we only have one more "glad we lost the league matters more" games this season, or Cup games to the rest of the football World.

For over a decade or more we have fielded shi t teams in cups and got turned over. When you remove the whole first team and put all kids in the subs bench it just 100% says "we don't give a shit", "run around a bit get fit,don't get hurt".

Fighting to stay in a division------ Cup don't matter
    Fighting to go up----Cup don't matter
    A few injuries----Cup don't matter
    Small squad----Cup don't matter

I'm sure we must have the worst League Cup record of any team,with our FACility record only held up by 1947 !!

Still the Cup don't matter
    Given where we are it really doesn’t.
  • Options

Going by an earlier post and from what I saw on the Stream it looked as though Bonne was going to take it as he initially had the ball under his arm after the penalty was given - Didnt understand why Forster-Caskey was suddenly standing over the ball waiting for it to be taken, can only presume that he pulled rank
    I suppose it would have been a nice story and morale booster for him

"After a year's injury hell JFC was the hero with the winning goal for Charlton"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/alfie-doughty-and-albie-morgan-set-for-charlton-athletic-loan-exits/

Bowyer wants Doughty and Morgan to go out on loan. Suggesting that he wants Lapslie and Wiredu to stay around?
  • Options
    Wonder if Wiredu will go out on loan IF we manage to sign a Right Back
  • Options
    Also just read LB is not happy with Page's recovery. Sounds like LB is a hard taskmaster
  • Options
    https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/alfie-doughty-and-albie-morgan-set-for-charlton-athletic-loan-exits/

Bowyer wants Doughty and Morgan to go out on loan. Suggesting that he wants Lapslie and Wiredu to stay around?
    After watching Wiredu last night I'd be worried to see him near our first team.
  • Options
    Absolutely laughable to say that we now have two players for every position.
    We could only trust Sarr to come in and play for the first team. The others were shockingly poor. Bowyer knows that, it was there for all to see. Once we get injuries, suspensions, lack of form and players leaving in January it will be extremely difficult to stay in the championship with this squad.
  • Options
    We could only trust Sarr to come in and play for the first team. The others were shockingly poor. Bowyer knows that, it was there for all to see. Once we get injuries, suspensions, lack of form and players leaving in January it will be extremely difficult to stay in the championship with this squad.
    TBH that would only be true if we had all the first team injured or suspended. Slotting Oshilaja in say for Lockyer would mean we'd be weaker, but he'd be surrounded by Pearce or Sarr, Solly, Purrington so it would not be as bad as having him surrounded by Doughty and Wiredu (who isn't a right back anyway I think). I'd be worried about Bonne slotting straight in, Field, JFC and Aneke need to be fitter, and a lot of the younger players have done themselves no favours. 
  • Options
    Ultimately if we have a good season, no one will care about this result. It's the league that matters and will be instantly forgotten if we win at Barnsley at the weekend.

I just had to look up who knocked us out last season as ultimately it's a forgettable cup and all we were concerned about was promotion.

Having said that, our record is truly laughable. In the last 11 seasons, we have only had 18 games in this competition, including 7 exits at the first hurdle. And going out early means less games to give fringe players some game time and extra minutes to get fit. 
  • Options
    JFC will come good. As will Feild.
  • Options
    Guardian website claims that the Forest Green Goalkeeper: Joseph Wollacott used to flip burgers here at the Valley?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/aug/13/crewe-middlesbrough-penalties-carabao-cup-first-round
    Flipping Heck!
  • Options
    tom- k said:
    No one injured, concentrate on the league, less money in Roland’s pocket. It’s a result for me 💁‍♂️

No one IMPORTANT injured, there's the difference.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    rananegra said:
    TBH that would only be true if we had all the first team injured or suspended. Slotting Oshilaja in say for Lockyer would mean we'd be weaker, but he'd be surrounded by Pearce or Sarr, Solly, Purrington so it would not be as bad as having him surrounded by Doughty and Wiredu (who isn't a right back anyway I think). I'd be worried about Bonne slotting straight in, Field, JFC and Aneke need to be fitter, and a lot of the younger players have done themselves no favours. 
    Kayal to come in too. Definitely weak cover at full back and up front at the moment though
  • Options
    Last night showed that Bowyer has definitely been playing the right players. Not many positives from last night. Bowyer was fuming for most of the game at Deji and George.

I agree with him about Albie too. He should have been showing what he can do against them yesterday and he really wasn't.

My biggest worry though is if Lyle gets injured or suspended. We have no cover.

As a side note, it shows that Solly is still better than people on here give him credit for. Wiredu is highly rated and I am sure will be a good player but he didn't look close to Solly last night.
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Last night showed that Bowyer has definitely been playing the right players. Not many positives from last night. Bowyer was fuming for most of the game at Deji and George.

I agree with him about Albie too. He should have been showing what he can do against them yesterday and he really wasn't.

As a side note, it shows that Solly is still better than people on here give him credit for. Wiredu is highly rated and I am sure will be a good player but he didn't look close to Solly last night.
    People defo give Chris far too much stick, he can still play and is a solid choice at RB. His legs haven't got yet, contrary to what people say about him
    We do need cover though - don't seem to have any which is worrying?
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:

People defo give Chris far too much stick, he can still play and is a solid choice at RB. His legs haven't got yet, contrary to what people say about him
    Not to mention he was getting forward well (especially in the second half) on Saturday when one argument against him is that apparently he's not much of an attacking Full-Back...
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:

Solly is nowhere near the player he was 7 years ago.  He played well enough on Saturday, after the first twenty or so . You’d expect him to be better than Wiredu, who as far as I am aware is a midfielder, with minimal experience 
  • Options
    Only saw part of 2nd half but we had an in-experienced side, few have played together.  Both full-backs were debutants and out-of-position midfielders.  Two midfielders were known to be short of fitness and one forward was not playing in his go-to position.  FGR were no mugs, and LB is probably being unfair on a one-off game to make big decisions on players futures.  Are any of the potential loanees not in their last year of contract?
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    RC_CAFC said:

Solly is nowhere near the player he was 7 years ago.  He played well enough on Saturday, after the first twenty or so . You’d expect him to be better than Wiredu, who as far as I am aware is a midfielder, with minimal experience 
    As long as Solly starts we need to get behind him - he can still do a job. I'm assuming LB will look for cover as Wiredu doesn't look ready. I'm disappointed Dijksteel wasn't replaced...
  • Options
    JFC will come good. As will Feild.
    And Sheffield Utd.

• Options
    Was it wrong to have expected a commanding performance from the other squad members to back-up the 2 league wins and inspire confidence and belief that we can cope with any injuries and suspensions to the first eleven?
    Probably.
    Bloody disappointing though.