Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Doncaster v Charlton Playoffs first leg 2019 post-match views

edited May 2019 in General Charlton
Good win. Shame to concede once the foot was off the pedal, but that should refocus them for the return leg. 

Over to you. 

Comments

• Get in. Well happy with that.  Bring on Friday.
  • edited May 2019
    Very lucky for Donny that Cullen's block deflected the ball up and over our defence and their strike force. 

Not sure if Purrington was pushed or went down easy... 

Probably would have left the defence as it was as we weren't really being troubled. Would have picked an attacking mid to come on in place of Parker.

Genuinely thought we'd lose this leg so I'll certainly take it.
  • Yeeeees have it.
  • Shame to concede last minute, bloody lucky for Doncaster what with the deflection though because apart from all their possession during the game (especially in the second half) I thought they created nothing - Charlton could and maybe should have gone for the jugular by getting a third goal but think Bowyer got the tactics spot on... As Taylor said; Doncaster started the game really well and never gave us a chance to dominate any part of the game, to go for a third would have been far too greedy and think the 2-0 lead would have been more than enough going back to the Valley.

As for the players I thought that Taylor had an off day (ironic seeing that he got given MOTM) yet was unlucky missing that header right before it went 2-1

Apart from Cullen though I was really impressed with how Pratley and Parker let their experience show, wouldnt be surprised if Darren were to start on Friday - Certainly makes you wonder if Bowyer will return to the diamond formation or whether he'll stick with three Centre-Backs, no doubt that must have confused Grant McCann who would surely have setup against a flat back four
  • Sponsored links:

• Parker injury disrupted our rhythm. 

Doncaster look terrible, play them at home and we'll score 3 or 4. 
  • Pratley got lots of tackles in this time at least, but he really isn't the right man for our shape - far too slow and negative. Even if he plays ok - as he did today - he isn't so good for the team imo - he may get a tackle in, but the ball's coming back five seconds later.

The worst substitution was going 1 up front though
  • Disappointing to give them a lifeline after an excellent performance.
  • edited May 2019
    Should of been 3-0 but pre game would of took 0-0 so a great result and we’re halfway there. 

8 shots on target by us 2 by them says it all really. 

Confident we can really do a number on them at home, John maquis not looking too special today millwall cnut

as a side note really not a fan of twist and shout being sung it’s a bloody palace song!!!!
  • edited May 2019
    Powell in the post match analysis does seem a bit biased towards Donny too has there been a memo pushed round to not favour us?
  • As I say that he says Charlton to make the final.
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:
    Pratley got lots of tackles in this time at least, but he really isn't the right man for our shape - far too slow and negative. Even if he plays ok - as he did today - he isn't so good for the team imo - he may get a tackle in, but the ball's coming back five seconds later.

The worst substitution was going 1 up front though
    I focus on the Pratley substitution because when Parker had to go off seemingly with a knock, it left us lacking creativity in central midfield. Agree Pratley was decent today, also agree he isn't right for our shape. But waiting another few minutes to bring him on could have meant Pratley for Parker with Morgan given a bit more freedom.

All of that said, with no striking replacement on the bench if either forward had to come off it was always going to be to play one up front. 
  • What I find ironic is the way Doncaster's goal came about

People were saying on the Match Thread that we should have gone for a third; for me the 5-10mins in the build up to Donny's goal was the one time we really controlled matters and got players forward in the second half - i.e. at one point they couldnt get out their half and thought it was a matter of time before it went 3-0 (as it would have done had Taylor been able to reach that effort)
  • Any chance of Igor back for Friday?
  • Never in doubt, controlled the game for most of the time. 
    Shame about the freak goal at the end but that’ll make Friday so much better, I want to see a cup tie not a kick about.
  • Disappointing to concede but we'd have taken that at kick off.

Unbeaten at home in 7 months and in front of a full house at the Valley we'll finish the job.

Can't imagine too many Doncaster fans will be rushing out to be buy 2nd leg tickets after that as well so think they'll have 1400 max.
  • Would have certainly taken that result before the game. We are at least going in to the 2nd leg in better shape than our last 2 play semi final 2nd legs. 

Wouldn’t be Charlton if we did it the easy way. Roll on Friday.
  • Never in doubt, controlled the game for most of the time. 
    Shame about the freak goal at the end but that’ll make Friday so much better, I want to see a cup tie not a kick about.
    I would like a kick about. But it's a good point, it was a freak goal. I felt we switched off on the build up but in the end that deflected looking cross could have gona anywhere. 
  • Classy in the first half and until Parker went off but then we became more defensive and cautious with one man up top. But Donny are no mugs so overall it was a great result. Fabulous to watch Aribo pulling the strings, with both Dijksteel and Purrington looking strong. Donny's goal might pull a few more down to the Valley on Friday as it is no longer a foregone conclusion.