Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Doncaster v Charlton Playoffs first leg 2019 post-match views

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Great day from start to finish everything went according to plan. Bumped into @CoveredEnd in the Beefeater after a late breakfast and we had some decent social intercourse 😉.

Onto the match and on this occasion I'll keep it short and sweet, we came, we saw, we were by far the better team and we conquered. Their consolation goal as we tired and switched off momentarily does not tell the true story.

Fantastic support from the first to last whistle out sung em and outplayed em, just one last push now Friday night and the dream becomes reality COYRs!
  • Options
    Never a pen.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    wmcf123 said:
    The problem for Lee Bowyer was he doesn't have faith in Williams and Reeves when we play away and don't have the ball. 
    It did seem negative but he couldn't gamble and risk a 2-2. I will be amazed if Reeves and Williams don't get game time at home.
    We are a striker light.

Nah I think our best midfield started today, albeit one of them started in defence.  
    Depends on the score.
    When we beat Luton I'm sure both Williams and Reeves were involved.
    Morgan quite rightly started today ahead of Ben and Jonny.
    I agree Bielik should push forward into mid field for the home leg. 
    Bowyer said he only played 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 because how we struggled up there in the league match 2nd half.

• Options
    Probably not wise to count chickens, but I just don't see us losing at home. Frankly, I don't see us drawing. I think we win 2-0.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Their main threat is Wilks on the right wing and Bowyer's 5-3-2 tactics were spot on with the full backs pushing on first half with Sarr policing the left side with Purrington and effectively double teaming on said danger man 👍
  • Options
    Get Williams in on Friday and Igor would be a bonus. 
    Move Beliek up alongside Cullen.
    Aribo alongside Williams in front of them. Taylor and whoever up top. 
    Crowd up.
    ValleyRocking. 
    Smash 'em.

Over and done with in the first 20 minutes!
  • Options
    After 35 minutes I thought this would develop into a rout, with us winning 0-4 or even higher. I wish it had.

In the first half it was pretty evenly matched during the opening 30 minutes - they hit the bat from a free kick - but we were unlucky not to score more after we'd opened our account. In the second half Bowyer seemed to opt for shutting up shop and trying to play out the game at 0-2. Had Taylor scored on 85 minutes when he missed a header by millimeters that might have worked. Instead we conceded a minute later.

Parker looked ok in my opinion. Worked hard and was unlucky not to score on 2-3 occasions.

Hopefully Friday will be plain sailing.

No idea who we might get if we reach the final: I'd prefer Portsmouth.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Laddick01 said:
    Just got back in. Was out the door at 5am but what a day that was.

One of the best away ends I’ve been in, alongside a result I’ll take all day long.

Weirdly I don’t think we played that well, despite being clearly a level above Doncaster, who did make it hard for us. Bielik was good at CB but is an absolute game changer at CDM so reckon we shouldn’t drop him back again.

If you look at our home form and their away form this should be fairly routine, but I have a feeling there will be a few twists along the way because it’s Charlton.

onto Friday. Can’t wait.
    Agree with this 
  • Options
    Thats what you call an Away Day, 

Shame we couldn't hold onto the 2 goal lead but i'd have more than settled for a win away on the 1st leg.

Haven't enjoyed an away day like that for a long while.
  • Options
    PWR. Good result. Paucity of attacking options on the bench was frightening.
  • Options
    One of those where it probably looked better when you was there cos of the atmosphere. The 15 mins spell in the first half when we got 2 we looked class. 2nd half wasn’t great. Lots of effort but the change in tactics and players made the game a bit scrappy. It nearly worked in closing out the game so slightly annoyed with a shit goal conceded. I think we will take them apart on Friday at home where we can dictate the game. Would of took that result all day long anyway. Not sure how Taylor got MoM, Aribo and Cullen were quality. Parker did alright, we need him fit for Friday as we look so much better with two up.
  • Options
    To be fair we did have Williams on the bench,  while Marshall and Fosu were left out completely 
  • Options
    Watched on tv, nervous as can be, but we have done it. Half time and all that
    but the valley will be to much for them next friday. Come on you Reds.
  • Options
    Have it on good authority that Igor is out for 9/10 weeks.
  • Options
    To be fair we did have Williams on the bench,  while Marshall and Fosu were left out completely 
    And your point is? I wouldn’t call Williams an attacking option personally.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A pretty objective assessment by that esteemed organ, the Yorkshire Post - https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers-1-charlton-athletic-2-late-consolation-keeps-rovers-wembley-hopes-alive-1-9763353

That said, the caption beneath the photo at the top is not the most accurate.....
  • Options
    None are all out strikers, but then neither is Parker 
  • Options
    Nothing to add, not home yet. Great day nice to meet RedChaser and son. 
  • Options
    None are all out strikers, but then neither is Parker 
    The only all out striker we have is the injury prone Igor Vetokele. Taylor has scored loads of goals for a man who spends 50% of his time on the wing where he is also superb.
    This is why Lyle is so hard for defenders to mark.
  • Options
    on our way to Wembley

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    Watched it on TV.

Stage 1 satisfactorily completed. Yes the late goal for Doncaster was annoying but if asked yesterday would you take a 2-1 win away from home you'd all, without exception, have shouted a loud YES!

This match is, as said, stage 1 so no point in going overboard yet about individuals. Lyle and Joe Aribo obviously I'd also mention Cullen in the second half and Parker's workrate. No he is not the best player we have ever signed but he worked damned hard today and can hold his head up.

Let's finish the job Friday night.

COYR
    Like your comments, particularly regarding Parker.
  • Options
    Just got home. The noise/scenes from the moment of the first goal, and the quick fire second goal, were unreal.

A proper moment of bliss, the sort of fun that we don’t usually get on big occasions with a massive following like that. What an away day. 
  • Options
    Should be coming home 3-0 up but as recent events have shown even that's no guarantee, so I am happy with 2-1 as it keeps the tie alive and competitive for Friday and prevents any BarcelonaAjaxesque complacency to creep in.