Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Doncaster v Charlton Playoffs first leg 2019 post-match views

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Love a bit of confidence but it’s a 1 goal advantage we are not at Wembley yet so we don’t need to be hearing the songs, if we play like I know we can will be a 3/4 goal smashing of Donnie but it is Charlton and we never do thing the easy way 
    Finally someone being a realist.
    If you saw the Sunderland Pompey game afterwards sky were already saying Sunderland are at Wembley of course I think we will get there but a bit of respect for Doncaster marquis is one of the most prolific in this league for the record I thought Donnie were wank today but they will be at it from the off expect them diving at every oppotunity and some of ours can get a bit fired up it’s the playoffs anything can happen 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    clb74 said:
    Nothing to add, not home yet. Great day nice to meet RedChaser and son. 
    How you getting home was indoors at 7pm
    Victoria to Beckenham Junction & bus replacement to Bromley South got home 7.20.
  • Options
    Donny are just not as good as us. 
    Prepare for a trip on the Jubilee Line. 
    Leave it to a Charlton supporter to bring up what train to get to Wembley before we've even gotten to Wembley. 
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Good win from the team. Got to keep this going! to our fans for coming out, see you Friday at The Valley! #CAFC

Is that Chris Parkes in the dugout... surely not?
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Donny are just not as good as us. 
    Prepare for a trip on the Jubilee Line. 
    Leave it to a Charlton supporter to bring up what train to get to Wembley before we've even gotten to Wembley. 
    I see Cawley on Twitter has been moaning about the A1, betraying his Fulham loyalties.
  • Options
    We’re 1 up at half time, we need to finish the job on Friday, can remember beating Swindon 3-1 away in the league cup many moons ago and not going through.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    I also disagree with Blair's comments... He's talking like its 2-2

They dont just need a result against us at the Valley but need to score by two clear goals

Shrewsbury last season were the last team to manage that in SE7
    1-0 to them would be enough. Then penalties.
    1-0 to us would be more than enough. Then Wembley. 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Doncaster forum:

“We just don't have the same level of passionate support as other clubs. Charlton's supporters all stood, and sang, every one of them.”
    Be patient young man , I’ve had to wait 40 years for it 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm sure we will try to win it on Friday and if it ends up a draw - hey ho!
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Good win from the team. Got to keep this going! to our fans for coming out, see you Friday at The Valley! #CAFC

Is that Chris Parkes in the dugout... surely not?
    No, it's not him.
  • Options
    I thought a big factor was the ref in keeping them in it. He is clearly somebody who never kicked a ball in anger in his life. I could give him a couple of tips -
    No 1. When you have a player like Taylor, who is very strong, defenders have to foul him. Now not every challenge on Taylor was a foul, but quite a few were and the ref didn't give us one. It is unfair that some people are stronger than others but it is life!
    No 2, When a player tries to run through a wall of players, he is generally not going to get through. This is not because he has been fouled, but because he is trying to run through a wall of players.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    It’s not half time , we are 1 goal up in the first minute of a match without all the euphoria of scoring the goal .

so let’s not get carried away just yet
    aaaaah  fuck that I’ve said it for ages we’re getting to the final and we are , then it’s all down to the the footballing gods .

are they gonna pay Sunderland back for 1998
    or will it be 3rd time lucky for Pompey this season
    or will they look down on poor old me and see the torment constantly inflicted on me by our rivals palace and millwall , annoying fans of clubs like spurs and liverpool having a bit of success and think this kids had enough recent footballing torture , let’s give him something to cheer about .

Aribo has telescopic legs, how he got the ball off the oppo was unreal at times .

brilliant atmosphere from the away fans , we’ve got a personality boooooom , I was shattered after the 2nd goal , throwing my little 7 year old about, looping and going batshit crazy , great times .

thought we didn’t play particularly well but did a job , can’t see Donny being that impotent again .

saw fanny and touched her hand on the way out , it felt surreal , a dream , a packed happy away end , reaching out and touching a real life away Charlton goddess , the stuff dreams are made of ! 

only complaint of the day is how shit Sunday and prolly a few Charlton drivers are, A1 too many punters dawdling in the outside lane , put your foot down and overtake and then get out the way , I had a 7 year old desperate for a dump and it must have been at the longest gap between the very regular service stations along that road on the way home , thankfully we made it just in time !

home leg and I’ve got 15 of my family going , all 3 sisters and niece and nephews, so gotta have a row with them about not spending any money in the ground , fuck off Roland ! 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    It’s not half time , we are 1 goal up in the first minute of a match without all the euphoria of scoring the goal .

so let’s not get carried away just yet
    aaaaah  fuck that I’ve said it for ages we’re getting to the final and we are , then it’s all down to the the footballing gods .

are they gonna pay Sunderland back for 1998
    or will it be 3rd time lucky for Pompey this season
    or will they look down on poor old me and see the torment constantly inflicted on me by our rivals palace and millwall , annoying fans of clubs like spurs and liverpool having a bit of success and think this kids had enough recent footballing torture , let’s give him something to cheer about .

Aribo has telescopic legs, how he got the ball off the oppo was unreal at times .

brilliant atmosphere from the away fans , we’ve got a personality boooooom , I was shattered after the 2nd goal , throwing my little 7 year old about, looping and going batshit crazy , great times .

thought we didn’t play particularly well but did a job , can’t see Donny being that impotent again .

saw fanny and touched her hand on the way out , it felt surreal , a dream , a packed happy away end , reaching out and touching a real life away Charlton goddess , the stuff dreams are made of ! 

only complaint of the day is how shit Sunday and prolly a few Charlton drivers are, A1 too many punters dawdling in the outside lane , put your foot down and overtake and then get out the way , I had a 7 year old desperate for a dump and it must have been at the longest gap between the very regular service stations along that road on the way home , thankfully we made it just in time !

home leg and I’ve got 15 of my family going , all 3 sisters and niece and nephews, so gotta have a row with them about not spending any money in the ground , fuck off Roland ! 
    Couldn’t be more right with the drivers on the A1(M) yesterday. Went in the left hand lane and passed a whole load of cars because they were coasting at just below 60mph for a while, all because they all wanted to be on the outside lane. I know it’s not great or recommended, but when people are not driving as they should be or leaving the necessary space between cars, sometimes going in the left hand lane to essentially undertake is needed for your own and others safety. So many poor drivers but in the end it didn’t matter, got home safe and sound.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Powell in the post match analysis does seem a bit biased towards Donny too has there been a memo pushed round to not favour us?

Apart from saying us for the final, I was surprised like you at how negative he was about us. Maybe overdoing the not wanting be to biased towards us?

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Dazzler21 said:
    Very lucky for Donny that Cullen's block deflected the ball up and over our defence and their strike force. 

Not sure if Purrington was pushed or went down easy... 

Probably would have left the defence as it was as we weren't really being troubled. Would have picked an attacking mid to come on in place of Parker.

Genuinely thought we'd lose this leg so I'll certainly take it.
    Based on the evidence of the last 10 or 12 matches I don’t expect us to lose any now :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2019
    A bit late coming yo the party & most has already been said, but fwiw he's my twopenneth on yesterday. 

Actually arrived early(ish) for the game so was in the ground by 11.50. Didn't realise we went 5 at the back until late on......Beliek is wasted as a CD & one of the reasons why we weren't so dominant in midfield was that we missed his driving runs. Morgan grew into the game & set up both goals so don't know why he was subbed so early on. Pearce for Parker was an awful decision.....at least put on a midfielder for Christ sake. Williams would have been my choice. Yes, RD left us chronically short up front but you HAVE to have striking options from the bench. I don't f**king care if you have to use an U23 or if Fosu has been shagging LB's missus......just play him. 

I will post my player marks on the appropriate thread but just wanted to say 2 things. Aribo MOTM......and another numpty ref. Not just for not giving any fouls in Taylor's favour & unless I missed it the ref blatantly ignored a card for the player who hacked down Prately (?) by the touchline with about 10 mins to go. If that wasn't  a card then, in the words of Ian Hislop, I'm a banana. Just hope Fridays ref is any better......oh wait, it's that other numpty who didn't send off the Luton keeper. Great !

Said I was quietly confident on the pre-match thread & even got the score right. Friday will be tough & a lot more squeaky bum time but surely we have enough to at least draw the game. C'mon!!!
  • Options
    Parker for Williams was the sub, think we would have scored a 3rd rather than conceded. Thought they were going to squaek a 2nd after they scored which would have been typical Charlton. 

I'm really confident 2nd leg, just not as confident as I would have been if we would have seen the game out. 
  • Options
    A bit late coming yo the party & most has already been said, but fwiw he's my twopenneth on yesterday. 

Actually arrived early(ish) for the game so was in the ground by 11.50. Didn't realise we went 5 at the back until late on......Beliek is wasted as a CD & one of the reasons why we weren't so dominant in midfield was that we missed his driving runs. Morgan grew into the game & set up both goals so don't know why he was subbed so early on. Pearce for Parker was an awful decision.....at least put on a midfielder for Christ sake. Williams would have been my choice. Yes, RD left us chronically short up front but you HAVE to have striking options from the bench. I don't f**king care if you have to use an U23 or if Fosu has been shagging LB's missus......just play him. 

I will post my player marks on the appropriate thread but just wanted to say 2 things. Aribo MOTM......and another numpty ref. Not just for not giving any fouls in Taylor's favour & unless I missed it the ref blatantly ignored a card for the player who hacked down Prately (?) by the touchline with about 10 mins to go. If that wasn't  a card then, in the words of Ian Hislop, I'm a banana. Just hope Fridays ref is any better......oh wait, it's that other numpty who didn't send off the Luton keeper. Great !

Said I was quietly confident on the pre-match thread & even got the score right. Friday will be tough & a lot more squeaky bum time but surely we have enough to at least draw the game. C'mon!!!
    Then your a banana

Bauer's late foul on Marquis in the first half was the only booking of the match - Reckon that was only because the whinging little bastard was pushing for a card to be given - Bloke didnt shut up moaning all game!!
  • Options

Pratley did well and helped get us over the line (remember...we did win 2-1)

Doncaster were always going to have periods of promise...even we managed that at home to Shrewsbury last season. We controlled long periods but they hit the side netting, the bar and Phillips made one excellent save. Friday will be another tight affair and that's the nature of the play-offs...the best teams playing each other.

As long as the overall performance is good enough, then that should be good enough and it was a very decent away performance yesterday. The team looked fit, sharp and our in-form goal-scorers both kept their scoring run going.

LB may well freshen it a bit on Friday and I can see Williams starting instead of Morgan (who was good 1st half yesterday).

• Options
    edited May 2019
    If Igor was fit for Friday, I wouldn't drop Parker. He was excellent today.
    The bottom line is Igor, if fit, is more likely to score than Josh Parker. 
    As well as Parker played he should've done better with that header. I have never been keen on non scoring Strikers because sooner or later it will cost you big time.
    Josh put in a great shift today but at home we need to be clinical. 
    The ball for the header was behind him so I thought he did very well to get it anywhere near the goal.

I would suggest if Igor is fit, put him on the bench and give him a run out for the last ten to fifteen minutes or earlier if we need a goal.  It would be better to have him available for Wembley if there's the slightest risk of him breaking down again if brought back too quickly.  I suspect, however, he's done for the season and therefore the rest of his Charlton career.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    I also disagree with Blair's comments... He's talking like its 2-2

They dont just need a result against us at the Valley but need to score by two clear goals

Shrewsbury last season were the last team to manage that in SE7
    1-0 to them would be enough. Then penalties.
    1-0 doesnt give them a result though, 1-0 puts them back in the tie

We still win on penalties and they havent got anything from it
  • Options
    Great performance. Donny to win on pens after a spawny 0-1 on Friday.

Sorry - I can't help myself...   
  • Options
    now for the positivity we haven't lost at home in a while we have done decent teams pompey/luton at home 

from what i saw from donny yesterday - they aint great!

marquis will be fired up for this one, especially when the crowd get going millwall wanker etc - just hope none of ours do anything silly and miss the final if we get there!. 

all we have to do is not lose and its wembley for us 2-1 to us they go 1 up early on and we demolish and outplay them 2nd half. 

arent bringing many fans and will be v loud at home, i'm surprised how many empties were there yesterday.