Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Doncaster v Charlton Playoffs first leg 2019 post-match views

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2019
    The good thing is that Doncaster have to attack us... they cant afford to sit back and wait for us, means that as the game goes on they'll get more and more desperate so gaps will open for us to exploit

Not saying for an instant that we'll sit back the whole time and go for a 0-0 but instead the fans (especially those who dont come every week) will need to be patient... Am expecting Doncaster to do a lot of running, closing us down, attempting to win the ball back at every opportunity - Our eleven on the pitch dont need the fans to come out with any nervous murmings that'll potentially only make them edgy and at risk of making a mistake themselves
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    The good thing is that Doncaster have to attack us... they cant afford to sit back and wait for us, means that as the game goes on they'll get more and more desperate so gaps will open for us to exploit

Not saying for an instant that we'll sit back the whole time and go for a 0-0 but instead the fans (especially those who dont come every week) will need to be patient... Am expecting Doncaster to do a lot of running, closing us down, attempting to win the ball back at every opportunity - Our eleven on the pitch dont need the fans to come out with any nervous murmings that'll potentially only make them edgy and at risk of making a mistake themselves
    They've no need to go mad though, they only need a 1-0 win to them on Friday for the game to go to penalties. Only if it's 0-0 with 15 minutes to go will they get desperate.

I didn't like the tactics we used yesterday at the end of the game as it made it easy for Doncaster, they knew they could all out attack as with no fresh legs up top, it was unlikely we'd catch them on the break. If we had Williams on the pitch they might have had to leave more defenders back, as 3-0 would have probably killed the tie.
    Do you think they'll be happy to risk it going to penalties then?

Of course I dont mean that they'll go gung ho from minute one - Take the Accrington performance at the Valley though; that wasnt an deserved win from Charlton were didnt boss that game, for large spells Accrington fully deserved a point (were constantly getting in our faces, disrupting our tempo) and with better Strikers could have won it themselves
  • Options

They've no need to go mad though, they only need a 1-0 win to them on Friday for the game to go to penalties. Only if it's 0-0 with 15 minutes to go will they get desperate.

I didn't like the tactics we used yesterday at the end of the game as it made it easy for Doncaster, they knew they could all out attack as with no fresh legs up top, it was unlikely we'd catch them on the break. If we had Williams on the pitch they might have had to leave more defenders back, as 3-0 would have probably killed the tie.
    Do you think they'll be happy to risk it going to penalties then?

Of course I dont mean that they'll go gung ho from minute one - Take the Accrington performance at the Valley though; that wasnt an deserved win from Charlton were didnt boss that game, for large spells Accrington fully deserved a point (were constantly getting in our faces, disrupting our tempo) and with better Strikers could have won it themselves
    Definitely. They know they are a worse team than us, penalties after a scrappy 1-0 would be a great result for them
  • Options
    Nearly 2 hours in the sun yesterday and my face looks like i’d just come back from a weekend in Spain, not Doncaster. Both sets of players must have been totally dehydrated and wasted after the shift they put in yesterday in that sunshine, particularly the Donny players who were chasing Charlton’s switching of play from one side of the pitch to the other all afternoon.
  • Options

those sub decisions really disappointed me. couldn't believe what he was doing. they were too early, to negative and ultimately caused us to lose our clean sheet. Williams coming on would of kept some of our attacking momentum. Doncaster had to get alot better before you start sticking defensive players on.  
  • Options
    Congratulations, all, and good luck in the 2nd leg.
    You just want the six points from us going up to ease your relegation fears.
    I protest ?
    4 points normally,
    Keep your hands down Solly !
  • Options
    If the game on Friday is level going into the last twenty, Pratley needs to develop some kind of fainting fit that prevents him from coming on 
  • Options
    Let's get an early goal and kill them off. Really can't see us losing at home.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't know about any of you but I am BUZZING for Friday! Can't wait to finally see The Valley rocking again.
  • Options
    A bit late coming yo the party & most has already been said, but fwiw he's my twopenneth on yesterday. 

Actually arrived early(ish) for the game so was in the ground by 11.50. Didn't realise we went 5 at the back until late on......Beliek is wasted as a CD & one of the reasons why we weren't so dominant in midfield was that we missed his driving runs. Morgan grew into the game & set up both goals so don't know why he was subbed so early on. Pearce for Parker was an awful decision.....at least put on a midfielder for Christ sake. Williams would have been my choice. Yes, RD left us chronically short up front but you HAVE to have striking options from the bench. I don't f**king care if you have to use an U23 or if Fosu has been shagging LB's missus......just play him. 

I will post my player marks on the appropriate thread but just wanted to say 2 things. Aribo MOTM......and another numpty ref. Not just for not giving any fouls in Taylor's favour & unless I missed it the ref blatantly ignored a card for the player who hacked down Prately (?) by the touchline with about 10 mins to go. If that wasn't  a card then, in the words of Ian Hislop, I'm a banana. Just hope Fridays ref is any better......oh wait, it's that other numpty who didn't send off the Luton keeper. Great !

Said I was quietly confident on the pre-match thread & even got the score right. Friday will be tough & a lot more squeaky bum time but surely we have enough to at least draw the game. C'mon!!!
    Then your a banana

Bauer's late foul on Marquis in the first half was the only booking of the match - Reckon that was only because the whinging little bastard was pushing for a card to be given - Bloke didnt shut up moaning all game!!

I'm with Golfie on that one, thought it was a certain yellow. 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I think it has edged more than 60/40 as any home game for us is more than a 60/40. But what yesterday gave us was a pass if we draw on Friday. We should forget about it and try not to need it. It is too tempting to be a bit careful at 2-0 as we saw yesterday and that wouldn't have helped us on Friday. We are best imposing ourselves on teams and going for victory.

In all honesty, we didn't play badly but we were below our normal level yesterday. We did well in spells. I think that whilst Morgan did well and looks a great prospect. Williams will make a big difference on Friday.

The fact that should give us most confidence is not the goal lead we have, but the fact we are better than them. Being negative in any way will even the contest out. 
  • Options

those sub decisions really disappointed me. couldn't believe what he was doing. they were too early, to negative and ultimately caused us to lose our clean sheet. Williams coming on would of kept some of our attacking momentum. Doncaster had to get alot better before you start sticking defensive players on.  

I think Parker was on his way to an injury and couldn't be risked any further (he's needed for the 2nd leg).

Morgan was being by-passed in the 2nd half and LB presumably felt that an older head was needed,

At least, the swaps meant that Bielik was pushed into midfield.

I wouldn't say the changes caused their goal. Donny knew they were running out of time at home so pushed a lot more men forward and put some pressure on. Pearce was introduced to help deal with set-pieces and to help keep Marquis in check. On another day, we'd see that game out 2-0.

• Options
    If we play well and get a lead at The Valley, it will be an easy game. However, if it stays level for too long, we (including the crowd) will be the ones that start to panic and then anything can happen. It's undoubtedly a very good start, but I don't think it's all over. Remember, we are talking about Charlton here. I predict going 2-0 down, pulling one back and levelling the home game in extra time so that we do it the hard way.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    If you look at how top class teams like Barca and Ajax approached first game leads, you have to say it isn't over. Yesterday's win should be viewed as something we don't need and we have to set out to beat them on Friday like it is a league game. When you have better players, you don't want to do anything that gives weaker opponents more of a chance. 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Conceding the goal may have done us a favour. At 2-0 there is a chance we’d all be complacent. Yesterday’s chanting of ‘going to Wembley’ was an indication of that starting to happen. At 2-1 everybody knows we’ve got to be up for it and complacency is not an option. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great day yesterday - despite their late goal being a bit of a downer I don't think anybody should underestimate what a good result that is. To put in perspective, there are plenty of prem clubs who have been tipped out of the cup at lower league opposition so every team is capable of beating everybody else and we are onlya  few places above them in the hierarchy. On their day, and i've seen Donny do that to us a few weeks back, they can be dangerous.  Brilliant support from us  - everybody 100% up for it and buzzing. Roll on Friday.  
  • Options
    Small observation our back 3 that started the game are all "better footballers" than most midfielders in this league.  Watching Nabby warm up is one of the finest sights in football. 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    I also disagree with Blair's comments... He's talking like its 2-2

They dont just need a result against us at the Valley but need to score by two clear goals

Shrewsbury last season were the last team to manage that in SE7
    1-0 to them would be enough. Then penalties.
    1-0 doesnt give them a result though, 1-0 puts them back in the tie

We still win on penalties and they havent got anything from it

you said they need to score by two clear goals. They don't.
  • Options
    First goal is crucial on Friday. 
  • Options
    No goals at all is fine by me! 

But if if we can score first, lift the fans and demoralise them then that’s even better. 

We score first and I can’t see a way back for them. 
  • Options
    Followed by our second and third  :)
  • Options
    Phillips: practically faultless
    Dijksteel: defensively sound, limited further forward
    Bauer: sound
    Sarr: excellent
    Purrington: best game for us so far
    Bielik: quiet, missed his forward runs
    Cullen: excellent
    Aribo: his best game for a while MOTM
    Morgan: his passing is exceptional
    Taylor: a thoroughly Taylor performance
    Parker: industrious, willing, holds it up well and got the ball in the net
    Pratley: tireless and decent
    Referee: piss poor, favoured defenders throughout, gave Taylor and Parker no protection at all and booked the wrong player when Bielik tripped a donc right under his nose the narcissist booked Bauer.