Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

La Liga 2017-2018

Don't think we have a thread on La Liga this year so thought I'd set one up for fellow followers.

First dropped points last night for Barcelona at Atletico's impressive new stadium (hoping to get to a game there very soon) and a win for Real Madrid away to Getafe yesterday look like making it an interesting race this season after Barca's great start and both Madrid teams dropping points threatened to make it look like Barca's season already.

Valencia looking decent for the first time in years and both Sevilla teams off to good starts as well.

I know there a few on here with interest in a team or in the league generally, so any comments, thoughts and match reviews on what's hopefully going to be an exciting season welcomed.

Comments

• edited October 2017
    Glad to see Valencia doing well - they’ve had a miserable few years, but Marcelino seems to have sorted them out.

Went to Athletic Bilbao last month and will be going to watch Real Madrid in February and then aiming for Valencia in April.
  • Thought that the Atletico game last night was brilliant . Made the premier league so poor again. Pleased Barca got the point .

Looking at getting to the Metropolitano at some point this season, though it seems hard to get tickets for games this early on in the season. Off to Barca vs Celta Vigo in early December and off to Seville in January the weekend Betis host Barca. Really hope I can get tickets for that.

Will hope to add a late trip to Bilbao at the end of the season for a potential Bilbao game or if not head down to Eibar or Sociedad
  • edited October 2017
    Went to a game last year at Betis and it was a great atmosphere and was also at a Real Sociedad match last season. That was a little less exciting as having a running track around the pitch lessens the atmosphere but it was still a good game.

Been to all four Madrid teams, both Valencia, both Barcelona, the two Galician teams, Athletic Bilbao and Malaga grounds, some for games or some just for stadium tours the last few years.

Agree the quality is so much better than the Premier League. Will be interesting to see how Spurs do against Real Madrid this week.
  • Gap could easily close over the next few weeks.

4 of Barca's next 5 away games are Bilbao, Valencia, Villarreal and Real madrid.
  • Very surprised at the start Barca have made, they looked very poor in the Super Cup at the start of the season, fancied them to finish behind both Madrid sides.

Shaping up to be an entertaining season with the re-emergence of Valencia and Betis. Could be quite a battle for the 4th Champions League spot and the Europa League places.

Went to Sevilla vs Betis last year and planning to go to the reverse fixture this year. Hoping to get to Cadiz and Vallecano in the second tier this season as well.
  • Valencia go second after crazy 6-3 away win to Betis.
  • Went to the Malaga v Leganes match tonight.I have to say I did not see much La Liga quality on display.

Brilliant entertainment, 17 goals in Betis' last two matches! Can't believe the transformation of those two sides since last season.

4-0 up with 11 mins to play as well.
  • Went to the Malaga v Leganes match tonight.I have to say I did not see much La Liga quality on display.

Malaga are having a Crystal Palace-esque shocker of a season so far and look in deep trouble. Leganes are punching well above their weight.
  • Sponsored links:

• What a game that was last night. Fair play to Betis for not giving up at 0-4 down . Valencia look very good going forward this season.
  • Valencia looking impressive - winning three nil at home to Sevilla and will go second this weekend.

Barcelona at home tonight amidst more political upheaval and have said they want to stay in the Spanish league whatever happens with Catalan independence. The game seems to be going ahead despite the unfolding situation and protests in the city tonight.
  • Marko Dmitrovic in goal today for Eibar against Real Madrid in the Bernabeu. Nice little feature on him in today's AS sports paper, including a mention of his time with us as well as his spells with Alcorcon and Ujpest. No mention of any connection/network between the clubs though!
  • Big shock today where Girona just beat Real Madrid 2-1 in a game highly charged with the current political climate.

Valencia still doing well and in second after win against Alaves, with Atletico only drawing at home yesterday to Villareal. Barcelona still looking like it's their league with another win yesterday, against Athletic Bilbao.
  • edited October 2017
    Let's all laugh at Real
    Let's all laugh at Real
    Lalalala lalalala

#LaMasia
    #ForçaBarça
  • edited October 2017
    Barcelona haven't looked all that at times this season but are 8 points ahead of Real. Hopefully they can kick on in the coming weeks and put a further gap between them. Ronaldo looks finished to me this season , off the pace , snatching at chances , and generally disinterested.
  • edited October 2017
    If Barca keep Messi and Ter Stegen fit then they should win the league. Both have been outstanding this season. The rest of their team really hasn't been up to much and even Suarez has looked poor so far.

Need to get Dembele back fit, then ship out the likes of Turan and Andre Gomes and get a decent midfielder in.
  • If Barca keep Messi and Ter Stegen fit then they should win the league. Both have been outstanding this season. The rest of their team really hasn't been up to much and even Suarez has looked poor so far.

Need to get Dembele back fit, then ship out the likes of Turan and Andre Gomes and get a decent midfielder in.

Verratti
  • They were after him in the summer weren't they? PSG said no chance, and then went and got Neymar to piss them off even more. Don't see Verratti leaving PSG yet, not whilst they're spending fortunes to try and win the CL.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2017
    Valencia's impressive run continues, and they're still in second place. Be great to see them give Barca a good run for the title this year: they play them at the Mestalla in a couple of weeks and a win could close the gap to one point.
  • Made hard work of it at times last night. Feels like both of the big 2 are approaching a bit of a transitional period - some of the mainstays starting to show their age a bit.

Barca obviously looking good in the league but far less convincing in the Champions League.
  • Anyone know why games for the 2/3 December haven't had kick off times announced yet but fixtures the week before and after have? I'm going to the Barca game and wanna know when it is
  • cafc4life said:

Anyone know why games for the 2/3 December haven't had kick off times announced yet but fixtures the week before and after have? I'm going to the Barca game and wanna know when it is

Looks like the week before has been announced but the weekends of the third and tenth of December haven't yet. Always annoying this, especially if you are planning a trip to a game from abroad. There's always one game each weekend on Friday night and one on Monday but it is hardly ever Barca, Real or Atletico. Hopefully the times of fixtures will be announced in the next week or so.
  • Really looking forward to the first Madrid derby in Atletico's new stadium tonight. Hoping to get to the ground soon but getting tickets at a decent price hasn't been easy so far. So, will be supporting Atletico tonight in my local bar which is a bit of a Real stronghold. Both teams have had a poor start to the season and need a win to get closer to Barcelona and second placed Valencia.

Barcelona playing in Madrid today as well, against Leganes in the afternoon, so a potential great La Liga weekender for any tourists who have tickets for both games!

Anyone watching the games today or keeping an eye on La Liga this season, put your thoughts here.
  • Tight game so far. Ronaldo's goal drought continuing and he looks like he is going to explode if he doesn't score soon: one of the free kicks he insisted on taking a shot from must have been fifty yards out.
  • If Barca can avoid defeat at a resurgent Valencia next week then they'll be extremely hard to catch. 10 points clear already!

Will need a total meltdown and defeats in both clasico's to let Real back in.

• #LaMasia
    #ForçaBarça
  • Title looks like Barca's already but be great to see Valencia pushing them this season.