Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Line of Duty

Anyone been watching this? It's on again tonight at 9 o'clock on BBC1, must say i've enjoyed it so far mainly because it's set at a very fast pace. People's thoughts?

Comments

• Watchable though characters are quite typecast, maverick cop, new kid on the block etc. best thing is that it leads into 2012.
  • I was planning to watch this, but forgot all about it. I may catch up on iPlayer.
  • yeah, think its great. thought there wasn't much depth to Arnott and found him annoying to start with but really enjoyed the latest episode. going to bed with my fists clenched and my fingers intact! will miss next weeks as away but will catch up as soon as we get back from holiday!
  • Enjoyable so far. Really hope that kid gets his comeuppance.
    Great cast.
  • Yep -me and the missus are loving this.
    Kind of hoping that Gates gets off in the end which is all wrong !!!!

this has been good quality an engaging, unlike the rubbish 3 parter that was Blackout.
  • Great series. Not seen last nights yet, looking forward to that.
  • It is squirm in your chair for the last 5 mins AA.
    That includes a brilliant line from Arnott as well.
  • Great programme!!!
  • good to see chris powell as tony gates
  • Yep, myself and the missus loving this as well.

Gripping scenes at the end last night.
  • Sponsored links:

• Gripping scenes at the end last night.

litterally !!!

• dartonion said:

good to see chris powell as tony gates

Glad I'm not the only one thinking that, dartonian !

• Great programme, thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Excellent programme.

Noy only the drama of Gates, the corruption investigation, and the low-life drug gang - but also what I (worringly) suspect is a fairly accurate portrayal of police bureaucracy; from the slimy 'management-speak' senior officer, to the plods who go out of their way to avoid arresting anyone because of the paperwork, and the sweetie-munching jobsworth 'civilian' clerk. Wonderful.
  • Caught up now, can't wait for the finale.
  • Loved it when he headbutted that little shit of a kid

And as the kid was about to start chopping his fingers off - "What have you got to say for yourself now eh?"

' I am arresting you for grievous bodily harm and false imprisonment!"

• edited July 2012
    Very good last episode, but can anyone explain the ending to me ?
  • A second series is being comissioned apparently, great stuff.
  • Very good last episode, but can anyone explain the ending to me ?

*****SPOILER ALERT*****

He had to die in the "Line Of Duty" for his wife and kids to get insurance payout and pension pot, he obviously decided he could not take the shame of an affair and accusations of corruption, so he made the decision to try and catch Tommy first, then threw himself in front of the lorry, the AC12 copper who was investigating him backed the Line Of Duty version of events to ensure the payouts to his family, if it was treated as a suicide, his family would have got zilch.

• Yep great series.
    Cottan being the bent copper was bit of a turn up though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Great series watched the final last night. One of the best series I've seen, camera work reminiscent of The Wire. How can there be a second series? The hero? Gates got a bit mashed?
    Agree re Cottan.
  • Think they could have future series based on the internal investigations guys doing various operations in different stations etc... also left open with the bent copper and Tommy as well, so they could follow that line.
  • Sounds good Red, I hope it lives up to the first series.
  • DA9 said:

Very good last episode, but can anyone explain the ending to me ?

*****SPOILER ALERT*****

He had to die in the "Line Of Duty" for his wife and kids to get insurance payout and pension pot, he obviously decided he could not take the shame of an affair and accusations of corruption, so he made the decision to try and catch Tommy first, then threw himself in front of the lorry, the AC12 copper who was investigating him backed the Line Of Duty version of events to ensure the payouts to his family, if it was treated as a suicide, his family would have got zilch.

Thanks. I understood that.
    What I didn't understand was having caught Tommy & having effectively proved his innocence, he then committed suicide. Surely he was home & dry ?

• Thanks. I understood that.
    What I didn't understand was having caught Tommy & having effectively proved his innocence, he then committed suicide. Surely he was home & dry ?

His missus made it clear that he is not welcome at home, he did bend a few rules and will probably be sacked and then lose his police pension - this was the only way out for him to keep his reputation intact and at the same ensure that his family is being looked after... That is my take on the ending...
  • MrOneLung said:

Yep great series.
    Cottan being the bent copper was bit of a turn up though.

Agree - great series! Summat rang a bell when Cottan said "I used to caddy for someone and he opened my eyes" as he was from the same sink estate... This was noted and when Tommy was found in a golf club - my mind went "aha!" ... Next series - Tommy goes free - terrorism investigation comes to nothing - I believe that the limping cop with a cane (mental block at the mo) would start rooting things out and get too close to Cottan - things will get hot and could be distracted by Tommy arranging an explosion somewhere taking things back to the terrorism line... What is the odds on that for the next series?! ;-)
  • Like that premise SilentAddick - and after the reveal felt I should have picked up on Tommy going to the golf course.
    Gates had to die as Tommy et al would not have let him live after what he did to Tommy.
  • Just re-watching the second series having previously viewed it without seeing Series 1.
    #2 does stand alone but makes so much more sense now having seen #1. These two series are absolutely brilliant and show British drama at its best and is right up there, and in my opinion, beyond the many Scandinavian programmes we have been shown in recent years.
    Series 3 of Line of Duty begins on Thursday 24th March. It has a hell of a lot to live up to.
  • Up there with the last series of Breaking Bad for cliff hangers. The writers really knew how to shift it up a gear. Well worth catching up both series on Netflix if you haven't seen it already.
  • Looking forward to this very much.