Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 1-1 Oldham | Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    If you watch SCP before matches he is always going to fans and talking shaking hands with them having his photo taken.
  • Options

i'm slightly nervous

i thought oldham would trouble wednesday more and don't think we'll walk it next week , dickov will have them nipping at us and they'll be an annoying side like him!

"Stop being so negative. We will stuff them out of sight."

they were my views last week and proved to be right unlike the fella diggin me out

dour game but these are the fixtures that win you championships

too many times the ball was lumped or thrown into their box and cleared

hamer came and claimed everything very well as did their keeper

the only guile in the team was from green

will be happy with 4 points from these next 2 away games

anyway pre christmas wobble leaves me feeling

20% champions 30% runners up 50 % uuuuuuuuuuurgh

• Options

the ref and linos were pony both ways but there was one moment late on when if the oldham fella had gone over rather than keeping his balance in the box that was a deffo penalty , we got away with that one

• Options
    and fairplay to oldham bringing 421 for the short trip to the valley
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Not had a read through the rest yet.  Just wanted to to make a few points.
    First the Oldham fans did us and them proud, before kick off each and every one of them stood and clapped.  Great to see.  They also made some noise given they had so few (bit like us away?)
    The Ref and the Covered End lino where pants.  I offered them both my Spec's but they didn't want them.  
    We played far to much in the air today which is not our strength these days. 
    Yann is one hard arse and god did they give him the treatment. 
    At lest half the Oldham team should have been booked for time wasting (ref not up to the job today)
    We just did not get into the game for more than a few minutes at a time.  
    We are better than that, we will be better than that again (soon I am sure) 
    Oldham went home happy with a good job done.  (they did have a few very good moves and if they played more like that all game they would be one of the teams)
    The look on all the players faces at the end tells me, they are not happy with one point they will become stronger.    
  • Options
    Slightly off topic, as I was walking up Floyd Road after two "geezers" were talking about how "that c*** Dickov always brings his f****** teams here to f****** get a f****** point,c***!" 
     I think, and please correct Me if I'm wrong, that Today was the 1st time Paul has managed a team at The Valley.

Gotta love football fans.

;-)
  • Options
    he managed them last year for the 1-1
  • Options
    he managed them last year for the 1-1
    Apart from that
  • Options

Two away games now,if we can manage 4pts from those we're back on track,so if we can get back to 7pts clear during this time, then should be enough to see us through any bad patch we may hit later on.It will certainly get tiring in the later stages and thats when mistakes could creep in.Any one know whats happend to Alonso?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Alonso is back in training.
  • Options
    Sheff Utd have two home games now

Weds two away games

Hudds two home

Mk two away

I'd take 4 points, hopefully be enough to stay 7 clear of third.
  • Options
    Where is Hayes !!!!!! I know he is not the best forward we have see,  but surely he would have been a better option up front then Euell and as for poor old Benson. I think SCP needs to re-think about his Subs
  • Options
    We were poor, they were poor, the officials were poor and the weather poor.

• Options

What has happened to playing football - too much hoofing up and not keeping the ball. Sort it out Powelly.

• Options
    Think some of the criticisms are an indication of what a supremely good  team we have become this season, and the dramatic enhancement of expectation that has brought with it.

If  we'd watched yesterday's game this time last season, we would have been delighted if Parky's patchwork army had played as well as that!
  • Options

I agree that Benson and Hayes aren't good enough to be first choice but when your main striker isn't firing then you need an alternative. Surely Benson can offer more of a threat than an out of form Wright-Phillips. If fit, he should have been on the bench rather than Euell. I see Hayes as more provider and possible replacement for Kermy not BWP, with his flicks and link up play I don't believe him and Kermorgant would play well together. The only other option in my opinion would be to move Ephraim or Wagstaff forward for the last 10 mins if BWP is out of sorts.

On the Russell v Hughes debate, I don't personally believe that Hughes would be doing a better job. The key is that we're missing Jackson, who is more of a wide midfielder than winger and can provide solidity and support in the middle of the park if needed and can free Wiggins to go forward a lot more. Ephraim is more of a winger and perhaps more of a luxury player (like Green). In the tougher games, could Russell possibly start on the left with either Hiughes or Pritchard playing alongside Hollands. Then when the game opens out or if we are chasing a goal then Ephraim come on for the last 30 mins?

• Options

Oldham did well, in reversed circumstances, if we had gone to runaway league leaders and snuck away with a point I would be delighted.

Maybe the result is similar to when we went to Brighton just before Christmas last year and drew. brighton recovered from the devastating shock of a home draw with Charlton after all!

• Options
    IA is right.  I did not think this was a particularly poor performance, and some individuals were excellent.  Oldham defended well and frustrated us, but we still had some very narrow misses.  Hamer had one save to make all afternoon.

Our expectations are rising to the point of being unreasonable.
  • Options
    If I hear one more person whining that BWP looks lazy or disinterested I am going to demand their address so I can come round and slap their face with a wet fish.
    He's scored 14 goals before Christmas - how fcuking disinterested can he be?
    If that's his style, so what.
    Didn't do Hales any harm - mind you I remember a time when some of the crowd were giving Hales stick and at the same time asking me to part with my own cash to help buy Ronnie fcuking ordinary Moore.
    Some people. Jeez.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yesterday was a game we should have won, no doubt.
    We controlled large parts of it, always looked the more threatening team and had some decent chances.
    I don't agree we were poor, nor for that matter were Oldham.
    Needed to be a little more incisive and clinical, but no biggy yet.

• Options

Horrible game against a horrible side which was always likely with Dickov and Gerry Taggart in charge.

Clearly not bossing the midfield like we were a couple of months ago and thats mainly due to JJ and Stephens being out.  JJ would always tuck in and help out defensively and you just arent gonna get that from the likes of Green,  Hollands didnt play well yesterday.

Would freshen things up for Boxing Day, I like the look of Hogan, he works well with Wiggins and does his bit defensively.  However Waggy has to come in on the other side,  Green is ok when we're bossing the game 3-0 up but we miss Waggys energy, defensive help and more importantly goals.  He also links with Solly much better.  Green spends most of the match in no mans land and 3 or 4 decent crosses a game isnt good enough to warrant a place in this side.

BWP will come good again but we need Hayes back on the bench for an option asap.

• Options

bimey! Five points clear one league defeat  and some are still not happy,  if some one had offered this in August there would have been a queue all around the valley to bite their hands off!

Lets get some things in perspective, every team looking for promotion will have blips during a season, teams will not come to the Valley and simply roll over, we have to get used to and expect this.

We wil have the luxury of JJ and DS coming back to boost midfield very soon.

My only critisism was that yesterday the bench looked disjointed without another recognised striker on it has Hayes and SCP had a fall out?

Anyway upwards and onwards COYR!

Merry Christmas and and happy and prosperous New Year to all Charlton Lifers.

• Options
    Lacked options on the bench. Think it was to defensive. However Oldham had a plan and stuck to it and fair play to them, another lesson learned.

Happy Christmas
  • Options
    Richard Crawley tweeted pre match that Hayes was having a fitness test,so presumably he was injured.  But does it matter if it is Hayes or Euell on the bench if they are not going to be used. 
  • Options
    Think some people are gettin the wrong idea of how others are criticising BWP.

Yesterday he was frustrating to watch because a few times he was allowing the centre half to nip in front of him. That's the complete opposite of the bwp thats seen him score 14 goals this season.

Strikers like kermit are a handful because of their physical presence...whereas somelike Bradley is a nightmare to play against because he is alert, has excellent of the shoulder movement but also because he is a pest and always on his toes ready to pounce.

Maybe he is tired cos i Haven't seen that side of bwp game the last two fixtures
  • Options

just cos people view the performance as not bang on,  which it clearly wasn't, doesn't mean people aren't happy with the season as a whole , they're not  happy with yesterdays performance

i mean it's a post match view on yesterdays match ,not a discussion about how do you feel the whole season has gone

come on it's not rocket science

• Options
    Minor blip. Let's not dwell, whose next?
  • Options
    I don't think Oldham's spoiling tactics and the referee's poor control of certain aspects of those tactics should be under-estimated. They contributed to a lack of flow in the game, which had an obvious adverse affect on the better of the two sides. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think Oldham's spoiling tactics and the referee's poor control of certain aspects of those tactics should be under-estimated. They contributed to a lack of flow in the game, which had an obvious adverse affect on the better of the two sides. 

Absolutely spot on......they slowed the game right down and for long periods (i.e. all the first half inparticular) stopped us playing at our much preferred fast pace.

Wallsall did much the same thing.