Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Top 5/Favourite Westerns

124»

Comments

• The era of westerns had ended by my time (I'm 55) but there's some great modern ones - The English, Godless, Deadwood, the Yellowstone prequels and Bass Reece spin off
  • Gribbo said:
    Anyone heard of a film called the Apple Dumpling Gang? Remember me and my brother used to walk up the Standard and rent it out D and G Video shop up there, years ago 
    No but they used to have Debbie does Dallas which could be a western i suppose.
    Do you remember the video shop?
  • Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Anyone heard of a film called the Apple Dumpling Gang? Remember me and my brother used to walk up the Standard and rent it out D and G Video shop up there, years ago 
    Think so but long time since i lived near the Standard,
  • Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Think so but long time since i lived near the Standard,
    Yeah I'm going back probably 35 years. It was opposite The Standard pub, near Sun Ya restaurant. Used to be up there all the time. It was the nearest one to Charlton at the time lol
  • edited October 10
    McBobbin said:
    Thought I'd see Blazing Saddles get more love. That's a top 5 of all time for me!
    When I saw it I thought it was a brilliant satire and one of the funniest films ever made.
    When I came to watch it much later with my children I found myself verbalising all sorts of caveats before they watched it.
    If I ever have grandchildren of an age to watch it, I'll swerve it because I'd be embarrassed if they thought grandad thinks it would be okay.
    Make of that what you will, I don't really want to get involved in a wider discussion.
    Interestingly Mel Brooks has described it as "an anti-racist film", but I bet nobody shows it anymore

He wrote it with Richard Pryor and it definitely sent up racists as idiots... But you wouldn't show up racism in a comedy now I doubt. Or punch a horse.

Edit: I completely know what you mean though 
  • Any western with Clint Eastwood in 
  • Another one I've thought of that I don't think I've seen mentioned is The Homesman. It's a real bummer but a great film
    I am going to give that one a go at the weekend.
    I have been trying to ctach up with some of the new millenium westerns recently, as I had become a bit stuck in the Eastwood era. (I admit one of the faults of my ageing self is becoming set in my ways and resistent to new stuff)
    I have seen and enjoyed Bone Tomahawk, Hostiles, Django Unchained, The Hateful Eight and a few others.
    I enjoyed The Homesman, although not a cheerful film. Bone Tomahawk was a bit too gratuitous for me.
  • Just see one about 11 cowboys getting bushwacked by a Greek pose
  • Love westerns, can’t get enough of em. 
    No particular order, these spring to mind. 

The searchers 
    Stagecoach
    High Noon
    The Good The Bad & The Ugly
    Dual at Diablo
  • PeterGage said:
    Another one I've thought of that I don't think I've seen mentioned is The Homesman. It's a real bummer but a great film
    I am going to give that one a go at the weekend.
    I have been trying to ctach up with some of the new millenium westerns recently, as I had become a bit stuck in the Eastwood era. (I admit one of the faults of my ageing self is becoming set in my ways and resistent to new stuff)
    I have seen and enjoyed Bone Tomahawk, Hostiles, Django Unchained, The Hateful Eight and a few others.
    Given the era you are looking at, you might like to watch "Son of the Morning Star", which follows the parallel lives of George Armstrong Custer and Crazy Horse and finishing just after the Battle of the Little Big Horn. It can be seen on YouTube.
    I'll check it out, thanks