Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Top 5/Favourite Westerns

Comments

• seth plum said:
    Any film that has a notion that ‘the only good injun is a dead injun’ as some kind of underlying theme is automatically wrong in my opinion.
    I thought ‘Dances with Wolves ’ was underrated  at the time, as with ‘The Last of the Mohicans’ but they developed the kind of sympathetic pro Aboriginal North American theme begun with ‘Broken Arrow’ which I appreciate.
    Our European diaspora conquered and crushed the indigenous people of North America and history is written by the winners.
    The recent Tom Hanks western ‘News of the World’ set in post civil war United States was thought provoking and a good film.
    Why do you have to make everything political. Everyone's bored of it .  It's just a bit of fun . 
    I’m not bored of Seth’s comments so speak for yourself. 
    I’m happy for you 
  • A Pulitzer Prize winner called Arthur Kopit wrote a play called ‘Indians’ , which became a film called ‘Buffalo Bill and the Indians’.
    It is a play that explored the dichotomy of how Aboriginal North Americans have been portrayed and the references were to the Buffalo Bill Wild West shows rather than traditional westerns.
    It spawned interest in the issue that John Ford’s last Western ‘Cheyenne Autumn’ explored as well as books and films like ‘Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee’.
    Previously westerns would be about alleged heroes like General Custer or brave oppressed homesteaders attacked by ‘savages’.
    As a young man I was a frequent visitor to Horniman’s Museum and was intrigued by the few North American exhibits there including a beautiful sand picture preserved under a dome.
    When I was 16 I appeared in a production of Indians at Greenwich Theatre directed by Roger Sell. So for over fifty years I have carried with me an awareness of the history of conflict between the conquest of European people over Aboriginal North Americans.
    So my initial post, described by one of my enemies on Charlton Life as being ‘political’ was nothing of the sort, unless bringing a different perspective to the concept of ‘Westerns’ is some kind of political act. 

• Magnificent 7 (1960)
    Outlaw Josie Wales
    Unforgiven
    the wild bunch
    once upon a time in the west

2 reserves, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and the Long Riders.

• Open Range
    Little Big Man
    The Culpepper Cattle Company
    The Searchers
    Dances With Wolves
  • edited October 9
    Look to see which side of the stagecoach drivers sit in most western films
    I use that observation when dealing with people who say that drivers should sit on the left 
  • Calamity Jane
    Paint your wagon
    Shane
    The good the bad & the ugly

• edited October 9
    Hell or High Water is not a Western ffs
    Of course it is. Neo-Westerns are a subgenre of Westerns and they cover pretty much the same ground in a more modern time. Spoilers for an 8 year old film but:

Two outlaws fighting against corrupt banks and authority figures to carve out and keep their place in a territory that they are being driven out of. A remorseful outlaw driven by a sense of injustice and a desire to find his legacy in his son and his land. An old world sheriff looking to have one last showdown and ideally die in his job rather than retire and become a part of the new world. His part Native American part Mexican partner who reflects the themes of land theft and culture erasure back onto the American working class. There's oil being fought for, there's a standoff implying a final duel between the sheriff and the outlaw, there's confused morals based on a sense of fairness rather than law, there's even a posse at one point and it's all shot against the New Mexico landscape. It's more on the nose with it's themes than a lot of Westerns 
    Oh don't get me wrong I love the film.
    But I won't have it that it's a Western.
    Maybe it's just me, but "The West" was the uninhabited, inhospitable land the settlers moved into from the East, hence the term "Western".
    They road on horses and wagon trains until the railways came.
    I don't care how related the themes might be, if it drives a car it ain't a Western.  ;)

Edit: Sorry, I had to post hastily, foofman turned up.
    Obviously not uninhabited

• Thought I'd see Blazing Saddles get more love. That's a top 5 of all time for me!
  • Shane
    The Magnificent Seven
    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Ballad of Davy Crockett
    Cat Balloo
  • The Good, The Bad and the Ugly
    Unforgiven
    Blazing Saddles
    The Searchers
    My Darling Clementine 
  • Sponsored links:

• Both the Searchers and Bad Day at Black Rock examine racism, that is a key part of their plotlines, in different ways. It is one of the things that makes them great films and great westerns.

Liberty Vallence is about the mythology of the West and maybe one of the first westerns to confront those myths. Again, one of the reasons it is a great film. That it stars Jimmy Stewart and John Wayne is part of that twist.

Butch Cassidy is just a great buddy movie
  • Another one I've thought of that I don't think I've seen mentioned is The Homesman. It's a real bummer but a great film
  • Some interesting choices and viewpoints coming out of a simple question. Just a point that for us of a certain age, Westerns were very much part of everyday life through TV.

We didn't have Star Wars (we just about had Star Trek) back in the 60s. But we did have Western heroes to watch nearly every night, the classic 50s Westerns were appearing on our TVs and, given it was marking its Centenary, the American Civil War was very much in our sightline through toys, games and (memorable) bubble gum cards.  

I doubt anybody under 40 (maybe even 50) could name five TV Western series. I could probably roll off 10 without much effort.
  • Some interesting choices and viewpoints coming out of a simple question. Just a point that for us of a certain age, Westerns were very much part of everyday life through TV.

We didn't have Star Wars (we just about had Star Trek) back in the 60s. But we did have Western heroes to watch nearly every night, the classic 50s Westerns were appearing on our TVs and, given it was marking its Centenary, the American Civil War was very much in our sightline through toys, games and (memorable) bubble gum cards.  

I doubt anybody under 40 (maybe even 50) could name five TV Western series. I could probably roll off 10 without much effort.

That got me thinking.
    Off the top of my head, Rawhide, Maverick, Bonanza, The High Chapperel, Alias Smith and Jones, The Monroes, Laramie. I am sure I have forgotten loads.
    But I do come under the older age bracket (70)

• edited October 10
    Wagon Train, the Lone Ranger, Roy Rogers
  • Another one I've thought of that I don't think I've seen mentioned is The Homesman. It's a real bummer but a great film
    I am going to give that one a go at the weekend.
    I have been trying to ctach up with some of the new millenium westerns recently, as I had become a bit stuck in the Eastwood era. (I admit one of the faults of my ageing self is becoming set in my ways and resistent to new stuff)
    I have seen and enjoyed Bone Tomahawk, Hostiles, Django Unchained, The Hateful Eight and a few others.

That got me thinking.
    Off the top of my head, Rawhide, Maverick, Bonanza, The High Chapperel, Alias Smith and Jones, The Monroes, Laramie. I am sure I have forgotten loads.

The Rifleman
  • bobmunro said:
    Some interesting choices and viewpoints coming out of a simple question. Just a point that for us of a certain age, Westerns were very much part of everyday life through TV.

That got me thinking.

The Rifleman
    Had genuinely forgotten that one.
    Was that the one starring Doug McLure?
    I am going to give that one a go at the weekend.
    I have been trying to ctach up with some of the new millenium westerns recently, as I had become a bit stuck in the Eastwood era. (I admit one of the faults of my ageing self is becoming set in my ways and resistent to new stuff)
    I have seen and enjoyed Bone Tomahawk, Hostiles, Django Unchained, The Hateful Eight and a few others.
    Given the era you are looking at, you might like to watch "Son of the Morning Star", which follows the parallel lives of George Armstrong Custer and Crazy Horse and finishing just after the Battle of the Little Big Horn. It can be seen on YouTube.
  • bobmunro said:
    Some interesting choices and viewpoints coming out of a simple question. Just a point that for us of a certain age, Westerns were very much part of everyday life through TV.

That got me thinking.

The Rifleman
    Chuck Connors

• Sponsored links:

• McBobbin said:
    Thought I'd see Blazing Saddles get more love. That's a top 5 of all time for me!
    When I saw it I thought it was a brilliant satire and one of the funniest films ever made.
    When I came to watch it much later with my children I found myself verbalising all sorts of caveats before they watched it.
    If I ever have grandchildren of an age to watch it, I'll swerve it because I'd be embarrassed if they thought grandad thinks it would be okay.
    Make of that what you will, I don't really want to get involved in a wider discussion.
    Interestingly Mel Brooks has described it as "an anti-racist film", but I bet nobody shows it anymore

• edited October 10

That got me thinking.

I'm 68 and can add Branded, Bronco, Cheyenne, The Virginian, Pony Express, Laredo, The Big Valley (couldn't forget that one).
  • bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

That got me thinking.

The Rifleman
    Chuck Connors

Thanks.
    I was thinking of The Virginian (though I confess I just googled it)
  • The Virginian was James Drury, Doug Mcclure (Trampas) and Lee J Cobb (Judge Garth).
  • iaitch said:
    The Virginian was James Drury, Doug Mcclure (Trampas) and Lee J Cobb (Judge Garth).
    Yeh, used to love that one back in the day
  • Does Quick Draw McGraw count?
  • Woody's Round-Up was my favourite.
  • Anyone heard of a film called the Apple Dumpling Gang? Remember me and my brother used to walk up the Standard and rent it out D and G Video shop up there, years ago 
  • True Grit
    Good, Bad & The Ugly
    Fistful of Dollars
    Butch Cassidy
    Magnificent Seven
  • Gribbo said:
    Anyone heard of a film called the Apple Dumpling Gang? Remember me and my brother used to walk up the Standard and rent it out D and G Video shop up there, years ago 
    No but they used to have Debbie does Dallas which could be a western i suppose.