Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Top 5/Favourite Westerns

Comments

• Really enjoyed the recent tv westerns Yellowstone 1883 1923 and Lawman Bass Reeves
    I've already done my top 5 but I have to agree with you on 1883 - a splendid story enriched by the presence of Sam Elliott.

Also had sight of the first part of 'Horizon - An American Saga', Kevin Costner's latest large scale project. More like An American Mess.
  • I think all mine already mentioned
    in no particular order:

Once Upon a Time in the West
    High Plains Drifter
    Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Outlaw Josey Wales
    Django Unchained

• Nobody for Paint your Wagon? Perhaps you have to be pissed to appreciate it (I was).
  • Nobody for Paint your Wagon? Perhaps you have to be pissed to appreciate it (I was).
    And then some!
  • edited October 8
    Not a film but the episode of Alias Smith and Jones where they were snowed in for winter at a mountain cabin playing cards.

Me and mates adopted Montana RedDog as our card game of choice, finishing off as dawn broke with Irish brag.
  • 1. Smith &
    2. Super Mare
    3. Curtis
    4. Union
    5. Digital 
  • High Plains Drifter
    Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Outlaw Josey Wales
    The Unforgiven
    For a few Dollars More
    Eastwood's cowboy films best since John Wayne for me
  • edited October 8
    Gribbo said:
    i remember watching a western set in the rockies i believe as there was snow, had Jack Nicholson as co star. they were camped out in a cabin and were being chased. saw it once many years ago but cant seem to find it in his filmography. 
    Ride The Whirlwind?
    Has to be as that has a similar premise with them being in a cabin and getting chased for something they didn't do.
    Not sure if there was any snow involved so must of made that up. Knowing me I probably just watched it in black and white. 

One of the reasons I really like McCabe and Mrs Miller was due to the snow in the last part of the film and the somber ending. 
  • Western Union
    Great Western Railways
    Disputed territory of Western Sahara
    Weston Super Mare
    Simon Weston

• Unforgiven - Eastwood's masterpiece
    Dances With Wolves - Costner's masterpiece
    Star Wars (Episode IV A New Hope - if you're under 50) - Lucas's masterpiece
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 8
    The Magnificent Seven ( In my top ten of all time favourite films)
    A Few Dollars More
    Tombstone
    Django Unchained
    Hell Or High water
  • edited October 8
    seth plum said:
    Any film that has a notion that ‘the only good injun is a dead injun’ as some kind of underlying theme is automatically wrong in my opinion.
    I thought ‘Dances with Wolves ’ was underrated  at the time, as with ‘The Last of the Mohicans’ but they developed the kind of sympathetic pro Aboriginal North American theme begun with ‘Broken Arrow’ which I appreciate.
    Our European diaspora conquered and crushed the indigenous people of North America and history is written by the winners.
    The recent Tom Hanks western ‘News of the World’ set in post civil war United States was thought provoking and a good film.
    Why do you have to make everything political. Everyone's bored of it .  It's just a bit of fun . 
  • seth plum said:
    Any film that has a notion that ‘the only good injun is a dead injun’ as some kind of underlying theme is automatically wrong in my opinion.
    I thought ‘Dances with Wolves ’ was underrated  at the time, as with ‘The Last of the Mohicans’ but they developed the kind of sympathetic pro Aboriginal North American theme begun with ‘Broken Arrow’ which I appreciate.
    Our European diaspora conquered and crushed the indigenous people of North America and history is written by the winners.
    The recent Tom Hanks western ‘News of the World’ set in post civil war United States was thought provoking and a good film.
    Why do you have to make everything political. Everyone's bored of it .  It's just a bit of fun . 
    Why is what I have written 'political'?
  • seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    I’m not going to point it out because it’s obvious to anyone other than yourself . Yet again you’ve hijacked a thread . That’s the last I’m going to say because it’s boring . How about just giving your top five westerns ? 
  • The Good the Bad and the Ugly
    For a Few Dollars More
    High Plains Drifter
    Magnificent Seven
    Dances With Wolves

Of the traditional old Westerns. But a couple of my favourite films are Westerns in the modern era.

Hell or High Water
    No Country for Old Men
  • seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    I’m not going to point it out because it’s obvious to anyone other than yourself . Yet again you’ve hijacked a thread . That’s the last I’m going to say because it’s boring . How about just giving your top five westerns ? 
    OK.

Broken Arrow
    Dances with Wolves
    Little Big Man
    Geronimo, an American Legend
    News of the World.
  • To be fair to Seth here, a lot of modern Westerns are concerned with the topic of how Native Americans were treated across history and in previous Westerns themselves. Revisionist Westerns concerned with addressing that are a sub-genre of the medium and add a lot of nuance to the topic. 
    Seth, you'd probably like Hostiles, which covers the topic fairly directly and Hell or High Water, which draws a parallel between the way Americans are being driven out of their homes and off their land by banks taking over everything and the way the native population were driven out by the settling Americans.
  • The Good the Bad & the Ugly
    Rio Bravo
    Butch & Sundance
    Dances with Wolves
    Wyatt Earp

so many other good ones my favourite film genre
  • Hell or High Water is not a Western ffs
  • Sponsored links:

• I really liked Young Guns but nobody has mentioned it so perhaps I’m in a minority 🫤
  • edited October 9
    Hell or High Water is not a Western ffs
    Yes it is . Not all westerns involve cowboys and horses 
  • All the Eastwood spaghetti westerns. Love it when the twangy music starts and you know people are going to die.

• Shenandoah
    Dances with Wolves
    Hostiles
    Chisum
    The Horse soldiers
  • How the West was Won
    The Searchers
    The Alamo
    The Magnificent 7
    The Last of the Mohicans..
    If I had to limit myself to 5!
    Of course it is. Neo-Westerns are a subgenre of Westerns and they cover pretty much the same ground in a more modern time. Spoilers for an 8 year old film but:

Two outlaws fighting against corrupt banks and authority figures to carve out and keep their place in a territory that they are being driven out of. A remorseful outlaw driven by a sense of injustice and a desire to find his legacy in his son and his land. An old world sheriff looking to have one last showdown and ideally die in his job rather than retire and become a part of the new world. His part Native American part Mexican partner who reflects the themes of land theft and culture erasure back onto the American working class. There's oil being fought for, there's a standoff implying a final duel between the sheriff and the outlaw, there's confused morals based on a sense of fairness rather than law, there's even a posse at one point and it's all shot against the New Mexico landscape. It's more on the nose with it's themes than a lot of Westerns 
  • seth plum said:
    I’m not bored of Seth’s comments so speak for yourself. 
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    I really liked Young Guns but nobody has mentioned it so perhaps I’m in a minority 🫤
    Good film mate
  • seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    By responding to the thread going down Seth’s overt route, it can be argued you are being political by reinforcing the anti-Aboriginal people position of what is typically thought of as a Western. 
    Of course it is. Neo-Westerns are a subgenre of Westerns and they cover pretty much the same ground in a more modern time. Spoilers for an 8 year old film but:

Two outlaws fighting against corrupt banks and authority figures to carve out and keep their place in a territory that they are being driven out of. A remorseful outlaw driven by a sense of injustice and a desire to find his legacy in his son and his land. An old world sheriff looking to have one last showdown and ideally die in his job rather than retire and become a part of the new world. His part Native American part Mexican partner who reflects the themes of land theft and culture erasure back onto the American working class. There's oil being fought for, there's a standoff implying a final duel between the sheriff and the outlaw, there's confused morals based on a sense of fairness rather than law, there's even a posse at one point and it's all shot against the New Mexico landscape. It's more on the nose with it's themes than a lot of Westerns 
    In that case CSI Vegas is a great Western series, though not as good as Bonanza.

;-)