Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next England Manager - Thomas Tuchel

Comments

• edited October 15
    Good win rate.

That is impressive but just look at those clubs . They should be having at least that win rate or arguably higher.
  • fenaddick said:
    Tuchel is really good at tournament football, has one of the best records of any manager in Champions League football and I can see that translating well to World Cups and Euros.

Bit of a hot head reputation and I worry that it will shake up the environment that Southgate created. But I also don’t blame the FA for thinking it’s time to take a risk.
    What does this mean? 

The game is still the same as a league game except one team gets knocked out.
    Not true. There's a very different risk/reward ratio and you have to set your teams up differently to factor that in
    Surely every manager understands that though?
    Its a trendy phrase, like high press and false 9. When I was growing up it was all about shin splints. They went out of fashion quickly as well.
  • England manager should be English in my opinion. We've done foreign twice and neither of them won anything, Tuchel will be no different. 
    One England manager has won something.

All the other English ones failed too.

Who would you have had?
  • England manager should be English in my opinion. We've done foreign twice and neither of them won anything, Tuchel will be no different. 
    our English managers don’t win anything either!
  • Losing 26% of games as Bayern manager is pretty poor imo
    Definitely but I think he’d almost given up half way through the season when he knew wasn’t wanted . He can and does regularly cop a strop .
  • Interesting appointment, I'm worried a bit about the fallings out he's had etc but I like the fact they've gone out and found a manager who has won things.

Also glad we didn't just go for the cheap continuity candidate in Carsley.
  • edited October 15
    We’ve had some right old duffers as managers in the last 20 years (Gareth aside) surely TT has got to be better than Roy Hodgson, Steve Mcclaren and Lee Carsley, I’m happy to give him a try.
  • Doesn’t really matter who the manager is.

English players look great when playing in the league with foreign superstar teammates.

Stick 11 of them in an England shirt and we are bang average.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 15
    England manager should be English in my opinion. We've done foreign twice and neither of them won anything, Tuchel will be no different. 
    Might be wrong, but think I read earlier that Greece winning Euro 2004 is the only time a foreign Manager has a won a tournament.

We're fixated as a Nation on finding someone with a decent CV from the club game, the World Cup - Copa America - Euro holders have Managers that didnt have that before taking over at Argentina / Spain.

We lose to Greece and its the end of the sodding world, Argentina lose to Saudi Arabia... Meh!!

The only thing I like about Tuchel is that he seems to be quite tactical, and not too dissimilar to Southgate in grinding out results, so could work for us

The togetherness though, how the squad have moulded, and been a unit seems like an under-rated quality that is being largely ignored. Just hope that Tuchel doesnt ruin that, as thats felt one of the hardest obstacles to overcome from what previous atmosphere's have created... Its easy to ignore the work and divisions that goes on behind closed doors, because we dont see it, so its easier to pretend its not an issue to be addressed.
  • As the late, great Al Davis would say. 

Just win baby 
  • I don’t think we will ever win another tournament no matter who the manager is.
  • edited October 15
    Thomas Tuchel has won 11 different trophies/titles in Germany, France and England. 

At most Tournaments we have 25 million people who have opinions on the head England coach and who they should pick and should we stick or twist when it comes to attacking or defending.

I wanted Eddie Howe but not possible at the moment with his contract at Newcastle so TT who has always had a good relationship with the British Press is a decent choice.

He has various ways of playing depending on which superstars were at PSG, Chelsea, Bayern and showed his worth at Dortmund and Mainz.

Similar to Jose Mourinho he gets pay offs after some arguement or two.

Should be fun.
    We have not won much with English managers either.
  •  Personally delighted Tuchel is the New England manager. Yes, we all would’ve wanted Pep, but that was never going to happen. He’ll not take any crap and will play the best team and not the just the best players. He will not feel the pressure of the press or failed managers turned pundits. Would’ve loved an English manager to have come through the ranks like Southgate but the FA have failed to make it happen again. They really need to nurture English managers, who are underrepresented in the PL and the European top leagues.
  • Good appointment. He’s a winner.

18 month deal from 1st January apparently.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 15
  • edited October 15
    This is great news for Erik Ten Hag though, gained himself a couple of extra months in a job
  • Off_it said:
    The FA really don't have a clue. They have completely overlooked Sol Campbell. AGAIN.
    And we all know why....
  • Chelsea fans seem delighted. They never wanted him sacked and seem universally thrilled by it.
  • Think we dodged a bit of a bullet with Carsley, after those last couple of interviews. Reckon things might've gone a bit peculiar before too long, and we'd have been approaching another tournament looking for a new manager 
    The only trophy we have won was with an English manager 
    The only trophy we have won was with an English manager 
    60 years ago, doesn’t have much relevance to modern football
    Agreed, what other allegedly footballing super power has handed over the leadership of their national team to a non national. Personally for the top 20 national teams i think they should only be allowed to have own national managers, in the same way they are only have players that can claim nationality, although as ROI have shown that can be tenuous. 

As much as i liked Sven and  we had Cappello, Southgate achieved more than either of them.

Literally (almost) in the case of Capello, what have the Romans ever done for us!!