Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

League One 2024/25

Comments

• redman said:
    when are the fixtures out? 

Gawd knows what we are doing to do until the season starts…

• It's a right bugger......Fathers Day coincides with not only the final round of the US Open but also England's opening EURO 24 match versus Serbia. 
  • Division challengers order of bookmaker odds:

- Birmingham
    - Bolton
    - Huddersfield
    - Wrexham
    - Rotherham
    - Peterborough
    - Reading
    - Barnsley
    - Charlton
    - Stockport
    - Wycombe
    - Wigan
    - Lincoln
    - Blackpool
    - Stevenage
    - Mansfield
    - Bristol Rovers
    - Leyton Orient
    - Exeter
    - Northampton
    - Shrewsbury
    - Burton
    - Cambridge
    Looking at this very competitive list I think getting into the play offs next season will be a massive achievement. With our current squad I'd say 8th is realistic. 

- Birmingham
    - Bolton
    - Huddersfield
    - Wrexham
    - Rotherham
    - Peterborough
    - Reading
    - Barnsley
    - Charlton
    - Stockport
    - Wycombe
    - Wigan
    - Lincoln
    - Blackpool
    - Stevenage
    - Mansfield
    - Bristol Rovers
    - Leyton Orient
    - Exeter
    - Northampton
    - Shrewsbury
    - Burton
    - Cambridge
    Looking at this very competitive list I think getting into the play offs next season will be a massive achievement. With our current squad I'd say 8th is realistic. 
    With our current squad I'd say bottom half is realistic,  we haven't signed anyone yet.
  • Birmingham on the verge of appointing Alex Neil as their new manager.

Got Sunderland promoted out of league one and Norwich promoted out of the championship. He's not a glamorous name but he's a solid enough appointment for a league one club.
  • Wasn't Neil a contender when NJ was appointed - might have even been interviewed? 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Wasn't Neil a contender when NJ was appointed - might have even been interviewed? 
    No clue if approached but he was one of the bookie's favourites

- Birmingham
    - Bolton
    - Huddersfield
    - Wrexham
    - Rotherham
    - Peterborough
    - Reading
    - Barnsley
    - Charlton
    - Stockport
    - Wycombe
    - Wigan
    - Lincoln
    - Blackpool
    - Stevenage
    - Mansfield
    - Bristol Rovers
    - Leyton Orient
    - Exeter
    - Northampton
    - Shrewsbury
    - Burton
    - Cambridge
    With our current squad I'd say bottom half is realistic,  we haven't signed anyone yet.
    Alfie aside, not signing anyone would have probably got us into the playoffs last season…
  • way too early for league finish predictions imho

expect those coming down to clear out/sell their better players while lots of teams will strengthen, including us

all to play for…
  • 8 or 9 new grounds there for me potentially.
    How long since we played Mansfield- 1974?
    My first ever game was at Mansfield 77-78 I think. I believe it was 3-0 to us. I am reliably informed that I spent most of the game staring up at people's faces (wondering, "Is this what I've got to look forward to for the rest of my days").

Was anyone else there that day? 
    I was there, 16 at the time.

Remember George Shipperly scoring a bullet header from the corner for number three right in front of the traveling fans. Didn't go down well with the locals who came round to say hello, but thought better of it when they arrived.

All in all a stress free day out, most unusual for any Charlton away game. From memory I would say around 250 were there
  • Sponsored links:

My first ever game was at Mansfield 77-78 I think. I believe it was 3-0 to us. I am reliably informed that I spent most of the game staring up at people's faces (wondering, "Is this what I've got to look forward to for the rest of my days").

Remember George Shipperly scoring a bullet header from the corner for number three right in front of the traveling fans. Didn't go down well with the locals who came round to say hello, but thought better of it when they arrived.

All in all a stress free day out, most unusual for any Charlton away game. From memory I would say around 250 were there
    David Shipperley
  • Always do an accumulator for the winners of each division bar the premier league. 
    Is Leeds , Birmingham , MK Dons to obvious?  
    208/1 ……. Thinking Leeds may bottle it again though! 

David Shipperley
    Wasn’t there a story one year about him working as a builder during the summer break ?

• Not sure how genuine this is, but it's being reported in a few places:

https://x.com/secondtierpod/status/1805211477470842962

Birmingham apparently asked for their game against Wrexham to take place in the USA. The request was rejected.

Birmingham apparently asked for their game against Wrexham to take place in the USA. The request was rejected.
    On that basis can we request our away game at St Andrews to be played somewhere nicer than Birmingham.
    No! One of the local away days to me!

Grim
  • EFL should have ok'd it and scheduled it for Boxing Day in Fairbanks Alaska.

I was there too at 17 years old. Went on the club coach. You're right for once a very comfortable away win.
  • Still waiting for the Birmingham fans to twig that their owner isn’t the saviour they think he is…
  • Sponsored links:

• very informative, please continue but may I suggest a shorter version for each club so you complete by Friday
  • NTT20 have predicted us 6 so a chance at playoffs, they were well off the mark last year but hopefully they’re closer to it this year 
  • edited August 5

Bristol Rovers

Last Season: 15th

Manager: Matt Taylor. Taylor started his managerial career at Exeter, guiding them to promotion to League One. Taylor then spent a year at Rotherham, guiding them to safety after taking over, before being sacked with the club in the relegation zone the following season. Taylor took over at Bristol Rovers in December 2023. Overall win percentage: 38.22%.

Players in: Isaac Hutchinson - Walsall (Undisclosed), Clinton Mola - Reading (Free), Ruel Sotiriou - Leyton Orient (Undisclosed), Dan Ellison - Chippenham (Undisclosed), Bryant Bilongo - Middlesbrough (Undisclosed), Joel Senior - Morecambe (Undisclosed), Taylor Moore - Valenciennes (Free), Michael Forbes - West Ham (Loan), Josh Griffiths - West Brom (Loan), Jamie Lindsay - Rotherham (Free), Promise Omochore - Fleetwood (Undisclosed), Jake Garrett - Blackburn (Loan)

Key Players Out: Anthony Evans – Huddersfield, John Marquis - Shrewsbury

3 players to watch: Promise Omochore, signed from Fleetwood, he is Rovers big summer acquisition. Rovers will be hoping he can help score the goals to move them up the table. He managed 13 in 73 from Fleetwood in 2 years, and The Gas will be hoping he can improve on that. Isaac Hutchinson, has spent most of his career at League Two, but with the departure of Anthony Evans, Rovers need someone to replace his goals. With 15 for Walsall last season Hutchinson could be that man. Taylor Moore, Moore previously was at Bristol City before a spell in France. Has plenty of experience and should be a solid signing at the heart of the defence.

Player you might not have heard of to keep an eye on: Kofi Shaw (Midfielder) made his debut at the end of last season, is only 16, but has been part of the pre-season first team squad. Probably not going to be starting regularly any time soon, but should get some opportunities, especially as the season progresses.

Summary: Permanent wise Rovers have not lost a great deal, but the players they had on loan last season have gone, and they are the ones Rovers have been trying to replace. In terms of signings, they’ve been one of the most active with 12 through the door so far. Most of whom have come from other Football League sides.

Chris Martin was their top scorer with 16 overall, but he is now 35. Omochore is the man they’ve invested in to score the goals they’ll need if they want to improve this season. Jake Garrett (28 Apps for Blackburn last season) and Taylor Moore are good acquisitions and Rovers should be better than last season. A lot will depend on the goals of Martin, Omochore and Hutchinson though to decide exactly how much they improve.

• Burton

Last Season: 20th

Manager: Mark Robinson. After 18 years coaching at Wimbledon Robinson became head coach in January 2021. He guided them to safety that season, and then at the start of the following season they started off well. However the form dropped off and they went 20 games without a win. Robinson was sacked and Wimbledon went on to get relegated. He then became the Head Coach of the Chelsea Development squad for 2 years before being appointed Burton Manager this summer. Overall win percentage: 25%.

Players in: Elliot Watt - Salford (Free), Geraldo Bajrami - Notts County (Free), Tomas Kalinauskas - Den Bosch (Free), Jason Sraha - Shrewsbury (Undisclosed), Ben Whitfield - Barrow (Free), Julian Larson - Nottingham Forest (Undisclosed), Charlie Webster - Chelsea (Undisclosed), Alex Bannon - Queens Park (Undisclosed), Udoka Goodwin-Malife - Swindon (Undisclosed), Danilo Orsi - Crawley (Undisclosed), Rumarn Burrell - Cove Rangers (Free), Dylan Williams- Chelsea (Loan), Billy Bodin - Oxford (Free), Jack Armer - Carlisle (Undisclosed), Jack Hazlehurst - Chorley (Undisclosed), Jack Cooper-Love - Elfsborg (Undisclosed), Ivan Inzoudine - FC Chambly Oise - (Undisclosed), Nick Akoto - South Georgia Tormenta FC (Undisclosed), Terence Vancooten - Stevenage (Undisclosed), Harry Isted - Charlton (Undisclosed)

Key Players Out: Joe Powell – Rotherham, Deji Oshilaja – Mansfield, Sam Hughes – Stockport, Mark Helm - Fleetwood

3 players to watch: Danilo Orsi, when Crawley signed Orsi from Grimsby after 4 goals in 32 games even they probably weren’t expecting him to suddenly score 25 in 50. That earned him this move to Burton. Was Orsi’s season last year a one off, or has he just his prime? At 28 Orsi certainly took his time to develop, can he score the goals to make sure Burton aren’t in a relegation battle this season? Terence Vancooten, signed for reportedly £500K Vancooten had been at Stevenage for a number of years, the big central defender has now joined Burton with the aim of improving the Brewers defence. Charlie Webster, the most promising of the youngsters they’ve signed. Webster played 13 games in the Eredivisie last season on loan from Chelsea. Now signed permanently by Burton, even at only 20 years of age he could be one of their best players.

Player you might not have heard of to keep an eye on: Dylan Williams (Left Back), another youngster from Chelsea, this one on loan. Played 8 games for Derby in 2021/22 before being signed by Chelsea. Looks likely to be the starting left back at the start of the season. Has a big opportunity to have a breakthrough year.

Summary: New owners took over Burton this summer, they have a new manager in Robinson, and almost an entire new squad. 20 players in so far, and there could be more to follow.

The new players in are a mixture of players you’ve probably never heard of, players that have done okay at League Two level, and some potentially promising youngsters.

Feels like this season could go one of two ways, they’ve thrown so many signings in that some of them are absolute masterstrokes and they push for the top half. Or, it’s a complete mess, the lack of strategy behind the signings is shown up and they find themselves fighting for survival.

• Fascinated to see Burton. Imagine Robinson will want to play it on the floor but we all saw their pitch last season. Unless they've done serious work on it they're going to have to be very adaptable depending on weather