Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Bolton Wanderers vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 17th February 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    not heard much about the injury camara picked up - hope its not serious - anybody know? 
    I presumed if he picked it up on Thursday but still played it was nothing serious and he’s only going to get fitter still ahead of Saturday 
  • Options
    edited February 18
    Taxi_Lad said:
    If we went to Bolton today, with Appleton still in charge, we would have been slaughtered 

BUT we didn’t get slaughtered 

We had, grit, determination, desire, workrate, application, some skill at times

We had goals in us, we pressed, we never gave up 

Yes, squeaky bum time at times, some last ditch defending at times, but bloody hell what a stint they ALL put in, against one of the best teams in Lge shite 

That is the CAFC I know and love today - rarely has a point made me so happy to witness - Bolton fans who saw them dismantle us at The Valley must have been rubbing their eyes in amazement 

We were 1-0 up, then 2-1 up, then 2-2, then 3-2 down, AND we kept on going and got 3-3 

Fucking love this - fighting spirit, and AT LAST some shithousery by us - the division we are in you have to - at times - be utter gits

Kanu MoM by a country mile - excellent 

My only gripe - he put subs on 5 to 10 mins too late 

Saturday evening and CAFC have given me a warm glow - long time since I’ve felt like this 

Lady Flash, to the bedroom …..
    Erm….. we were 1-0 down 2-1 up 2-2 then 3-2 up before they equalised
    Taxi_Lad said:
    If we went to Bolton today, with Appleton still in charge, we would have been slaughtered 

BUT we didn’t get slaughtered 

We had, grit, determination, desire, workrate, application, some skill at times

We had goals in us, we pressed, we never gave up 

Yes, squeaky bum time at times, some last ditch defending at times, but bloody hell what a stint they ALL put in, against one of the best teams in Lge shite 

That is the CAFC I know and love today - rarely has a point made me so happy to witness - Bolton fans who saw them dismantle us at The Valley must have been rubbing their eyes in amazement 

We were 1-0 up, then 2-1 up, then 2-2, then 3-2 down, AND we kept on going and got 3-3 

Fucking love this - fighting spirit, and AT LAST some shithousery by us - the division we are in you have to - at times - be utter gits

Kanu MoM by a country mile - excellent 

My only gripe - he put subs on 5 to 10 mins too late 

Saturday evening and CAFC have given me a warm glow - long time since I’ve felt like this 

Lady Flash, to the bedroom

Yes - realised that this morning - in my defence I was very pissed when I posted that - now edited it - but thank you !!!
    Under the circumstances you did very well to write anything at all. True multi tasking there  :D
  • Options
    best Charlton performance for a couple of years against a depleted but still very good Bolton side .. the Addicks snarled, spat, stuck it to 'em, ran their collective socks off and showed a lot of skill as well as desperate will to win .. a joy to see a collective joy scene in front of us fans from the team as Kanu's goal went in to give us the lead for the second time, alas Bolton came back to equalise and t b f a draw was a fair result ..  a pretty near totally new team looked so organised and (to belabour the point) committed .. I was very dubious about Jones's appointment, if his players keep this up (and I am sure they will), my doubts will be swallowed whole .. Look Out Pompey and Derby, we're coming for you

Last word .. the whole team was excellence personified, special mentions for Jones (defensive colossus), Kanu who did not stop chasing, harrowing and unnerving Bolton's defence and Anderson who looked like he'd been a midfield enforcer for years, let alone half a season .. really invidious to pick out individuals though, soooooooo I'll leave it there
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I always watch the feed (in the Netherlands), 
    Wow, that's a coincidence. I also am in the Netherlands for all away matches. Maybe we should meet up for a beer next time?  :D
    so do I
  • Options
    PWR

In the post match thread I said we wouldn't outscore Bolton but hey what do I know? We gave it a bloody good go! Jones has clearly made a impression on this side as they showed more determination and grit yesterday then any other time throughout the season and that's the minimum we ask for as fans isn't it? I, like many were probably a bit shocked to see Alfie May on the bench but fair play to Jones he's come out post match and explained his reasons when he doesn't really have to. Defensively there's still question marks and I think there will be for a while, but we stuck together as a team and earned a brilliant point from a tough game and for the first time in ages we can wake up on a Sunday morning proud of our team.

Istead - Conceded three but didn't play badly. Done what needed to be done re timewasting

REG - Caught napping for their third goal. Jury's still out

Jones - Probably the best I've seen him play a real leaders performance

Thomas - Athletic and strong but got caught out of position a few times

T Watson - Better, but is he our best right back?

Dobson - Not his best performance but even his average games are good. At fault for their second

Coventry - Best I've seen him in a Charlton shirt, got stuck in and done the dirty work

Anderson - Again best I've seen him play, work rate and forward play excellent

Small - A great debut, keeps Edun out of the team easily

Kanu - My MOTM, how can anyone not like this kid 100% effort and chips in with a goal here and there. Fantastic

Ladapo - Done enough and kept their defenders busy. Still drifts in and out of the game a bit too much

SUBS

Aneke - Quite game for him but as always was a handful

May - Keep the game moving and rustled a few feathers

Camara - Gave the ball away a fair bit, didn't impress me much

Gillesphey - Came on at a strange time but was solid and dealt with what he had to   
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Interesting comments underneath as well. Sack the manager, no chance of automatic promotion, shit ref, head injury (it wasnt), etc, etc. Not one person giving us any credit at all.

Standard football fare.
    What... 
  • Options
    I also was dubious about the NJ appointment, glad that I'm wrong.
    A pity about a couple of our yellow cards as it seems that they might have been for kicking the ball away after a foul.
    I'm surprised that 3 games without a win has convinced you to change your mind.

It was a much improved competitive performance against a top side, but 2 points out of a possible 9 isn't the sort of new manager bounce that will keep us up. We might survive averaging a point a game, we won't with anything less. All to do and I'm far from convinced we'll have the good fortune with injuries that we need.

Still, if Jones gets a free pass from the fans for the rest of this season, which I hope he does, then that can only help in the upcoming important games.

Think we'll beat Pompey though regardless of form. 
  • Options
    edited February 18
    Why oh why didn't we sack Appleton 3 or 4 weeks before we did?
    This x1000
  • Options
    Still not convinced by Isted, felt AMB would’ve done better with all the goals.
    First one at his near post was the only goal I didnt like from Isted

Defence didnt help him out at all with the other two
    Yep agreed he should have been covering the post in that situation on the 1st.
  • Options
    edited February 18
    Never see the game but going by the result & what have read on here loads better from up 
    Still not out of danger but keep potting performances like that & we will be fine 
    Well done you Reds  B)
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    not heard much about the injury camara picked up - hope its not serious - anybody know? 
    I presumed if he picked it up on Thursday but still played it was nothing serious and he’s only going to get fitter still ahead of Saturday 
    Ok good - didn’t realise he played yesterday 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Interesting comments underneath as well. Sack the manager, no chance of automatic promotion, shit ref, head injury (it wasnt), etc, etc. Not one person giving us any credit at all.

Standard football fare.
    I liked reading that we were the most physical and dirty side they’ve faced, “not your typical Charlton”. We’ve been soft for far too long. Looking forward to more improvement under Jones, we’re finally playing with intensity and it makes such a difference. Teams might underestimate us based on our position but if we keep competing like that we’ll start winning some games.

The most physical and dirty side yet encountered - not your typical Charlton, but you have to do something when you haven't won for 16 games, and their new manager knows it. The referee should have stopped the game after Dacres Cogley's injury, but we should have scored further goals, particularly the second Maghoma run. An injury-riven defence let in too many soft ones today, but that's life without Santos and Baxter. Defence is the best form of attack.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 18
    swordfish said:
    I also was dubious about the NJ appointment, glad that I'm wrong.
    A pity about a couple of our yellow cards as it seems that they might have been for kicking the ball away after a foul.
    I'm surprised that 3 games without a win has convinced you to change your mind.

It was a much improved competitive performance against a top side, but 2 points out of a possible 9 isn't the sort of new manager bounce that will keep us up. We might survive averaging a point a game, we won't with anything less. All to do and I'm far from convinced we'll have the good fortune with injuries that we need.

Still, if Jones gets a free pass from the fans for the rest of this season, which I hope he does, then that can only help in the upcoming important games.

Think we'll beat Pompey though regardless of form. 
    2 unbeaten games though.
  • Options
    edited February 18
  • Options
    edited February 18
    I can't recall any occasions this season when either T Watson or Edun have actually blocked a cross from coming into the penalty area (presumably they have).

Anyway, I note re Bolton's first goal that there were comments re an outstretched Dobson failing to stop the cross, but no one has mentioned Watson not attempting to stop the cross and actually he turned his back on it.
  • Options
    A great and unexpected point, and a dogged performance to go with it.  Strangely for a 3-3 I was more impressed with our defensive work than our forward play... thought we did a great job restricting a good Bolton team to very little (4 shots on target, 1.15 XG total)... one of those days where things seemed to just fly in (at both ends, for once).

Only criticism would be that we looked very tired after 60 mins (perhaps no surprise after 3 games in 8 days), and with all our midfielders on bookings the changes could've come sooner.  Excited to see how they handle Pompey after a week's recovery.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:
    has set up a big match feel for next saturday - expect a great atmosphere and if we can hang in there for 60 minutes, i expect us to suck the ball and chucks into the back of the net.
    They are a different Pompey side to the one we are used to meeting and we are a very different Charlton side. Cant see past a home defeat by 2 or 3 goals. 
    At least that’s progress from the 4-1 defeat you predicted yesterday if we played 3-5-2/5-3-2.
    I also predicted a 2-0 win if we went with a formation that had a flat back 4, so we'll never know.

What i do know is that we are 3 games into Nathan Jones' reign & we are yet to win a game. I like him, and he is miles better than Appleton or Holden but to say (as many posters have said since 5pm yesterday) that we are going to stay up is rather optimistic I would say.
  • Options
    edited February 18
    Gribbo said:
    Oakster2 said:
    Why oh why didn't we sack Appleton 3 or 4 weeks before we did?
    This x1000
    Eh? We shoulda sacked him 3 or 4 thousand weeks before we did? That's over 60 years ago

...Great, he would've been a "Twinkle in his dad's eye",...would've saved everyone a whole lot of agro...👍
  • Options
    Very good point, but there 1st and 3rd goals so soft., the 2nd goal was a touch of class. 

Really pleased for Kanu, not sure we really need to bring anymore forward in during the summer, we have enough in the building, just need to get them fit!