Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH PREVIEW: Port Vale vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 6th January 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off

Port Vale vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 6th January 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Martin Coy

Introduction
It would be fair to say that Charlton went through the Festive Football period in less than speculator fashion - We entered 2024 on the back of five games without recording a single victory, so when Chem Campbell opened the scoring against Oxford on New Years Day, a few faint hopes amongst the Valley faithful were briefly lifted... Unfortunately we insisted on starting 2024, the same way we finished 2023 - Lets hope that our away form picks up at the very least this calendar year.

The Opposition
Name: Port Vale (15th) - Manager: Andy Crosby
Ground: Vale Park
Previous League Result: Carlisle 2-1 Port Vale

After all it wasnt helped given the fact that half our games over the Christmas run, were away from the Valley - Given we've recorded just the one win outside of SE7 this season, its unsurprising that we kept to form, even with our opponents being who they've been these last few weeks.

This Saturday we make the trip to Staffordshire looking to change that... No we almost NEED to change that approach - Fears of relegation for now are as outlandish as hopes for the Play-Offs a month or two ago - However hosting us this Saturday are Port Vale, a side who started the season in stunning form, after losing their opening fixture 7-0 at Barnsley, the Valiants would go on to record five out of six victories, including a 3-2 win at the Valley... Perhaps their least impressive win, given our own early season form.

Vale's form nose dived in mid-September though, and have recorded just three since... Unfortunately all three have been in December, and our opponents come into this game with those three wins in their last six, with just two of those games ending in defeat - Vale sit below the Addicks purely because of their horrendous Goal Difference, however if the hosts record their first double over the Addicks since X, then it will be another position dropped... No doubt making it that slightly bit harder to make us an attractive proposition to any reinforcements this month.

Charlton Team News
There was a Plymouth Defender being shown around the Valley on New Years Day, many fans would have hoped to see an announcement by now, but its suspected that Macaulay Gillesphey's New Year Resolution is to steer as clear as possible from SE7 - It means that another week goes by with our depleted squad, and a continued over reliance on youngsters who like Joe Pigott all those years ago, shouldnt be exposed to this situation.

There will at least be hopes that Alfie May has recovered from the niggle that kept him out of our last fixture against Oxford.

Maynard-Brewer
Watson - Hector - Jones - Edun
Anderson - Dobson - Fraser
May - Kanu - Blackett-Taylor

Substitutes Bench: Walker - Thomas - Asiimwe - L.Watson - C.Campbell - T.Campbell - Casey

Comments

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    At last, a proper preview! 👍👏
    Thanks so much for covering for me these last few games 👍👍
  • Options
    Yay... (no disrespect to @JamesSeed!) but great to have a proper review again!
  • Options
    We’ll win this one. 2-1 to the reborn Addicks. 
  • Options
    Another 1-0 defeat incoming but still absolutely no chance of being relegated …..apparently 
  • Options
    We keep starting games well, then fade. Earlier in the season it was the opposite. 
  • Options
    I'm going for a 1-1... We'll be leading until the 85th minute
  • Options
    I'm going for a 1-1... We'll be leading until the 85th minute
    In that case we lose 2-1 as they will score in extra time, as all other teams do 👎
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scott unclips his holster! 3-1 to Port Vale leaving us fans convinced the players don’t care much for MA either…I have more than convinced myself MA will take us nowhere this season or next, so will take 1-3 more straight defeats if it aids the decision around his departure. This isn’t working and let’s not fool ourselves around the stats peddled out pre the latest run of defeats, some of the draws we were getting should have and could have been wins with a bit of strategic nous/imagination and the defeats (cup
    games included) perhaps provide a clearer picture. Oh, and Leaburn played in those league defeats before this run. Seen most of the games live, so not sharing reactively after merely the recent run of losses. 

For the players and fellow travelling fans, Up the Addicks!
  • Options
    Our slide down the shi….erm….the league continues. We all know what will happen between 80 and 90 mins if Vale are not already 1 or 2 up by then 
  • Options
    I'm hoping we try a change of formation, and try not to fill in with youngsters when older heads are available. But this fixture promises a miserable afternoon, and I'm still in two minds about watching it to be honest.
  • Options
    Our shocking run continues as we tumble down the league. 2-0
  • Options
    Think this may be in danger of being called off weather up there is really bad
  • Options
    Still freefalling!

3-1
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/tTFOncppkJg?si=9FxetEAq9-xVpOcp

Live footage from Saturdays away end 
  • Options
    Oh god not again....please
  • Options
    There is absolutely no sign of this team improving . In fact Appleton has made things worse than when Holden was in charge and they both had injuries to deal with . At least Holden was a likeable bloke . Appleton doesn’t even have that going for him

2-0 defeat and hopefully it’s his last game in charge 
    This 100%
  • Options
    Am making the trip up. 
    Never mind loosing to a better team , provided we have had a go, and match them for fitness and work rate.
    Always hopeful, but a best a draw…at worse I dread to think .

If it’s another poor performance, Appleton might just need a tin hat!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I remember back in the day when the club organised free coach travel to Port Vale for an important promotion match. They ended up hiring any coach with four wheels and we were on some clapped out old banger - but we got there. Port Vale then tried to charge the club for parking the coaches. I believe they were told politely to go away.
  • Options
    The darkest hour is before the dawn 1-1
  • Options
    Can't see us getting anything from this game...2-1 loss. Doubt May will be risked if he has a dodgy back, and we'll find out if Tedic has gone back if he is not involved again. That leaves the forwards weak once more, and reliant on CBT bothering, and Tyreece getting his form back. We will concede, so need two to win, but I don't think we can do that...
  • Options
    edited January 5
    Winning, particularly away from home, with a team incapable of keeping a clean sheet is very, very difficult. It’s hard to imagine any route to three points on Saturday - but sometimes when you least expect it is when Charlton surprise you the most (that’s about the only straw available to clutch). 

Under normal circumstances you would say that having the most lethal striker in England back in our team would be crucial, but with Appleton who knows, will probably pick Alfie in goal if he’s fit. 

Going to this one, mainly for the 92. How long do I have to stay at a match in order for it to count?!
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Winning, particularly away from home, with a team incapable of keeping a clean sheet is very, very difficult. It’s hard to imagine any route to three points on Saturday - but sometimes when you least expect it is when Charlton surprise you the most (that’s about the only straw available to clutch). 

Under normal circumstances you would say that having the most lethal striker in England back in our team would be crucial, but with Appleton who knows, will probably pick Alfie in goal if he’s fit. 

Going to this one, mainly for the 92. How long do I have to stay at a match in order for it to count?!
    Don’t worry about that, I could be leaving the ground before you do as I’ll be in the home end 😉.
  • Options
    A must win 
  • Options
    A must win 
    For Mickey Apples i fear!
  • Options
    A must win 
    For Mickey Apples i fear!
    On that basis, a must lose then, then we can be rid of him 😃

That said, I expect us to lose anyway 
  • Options
    They’ve swapped the ends around for Away fans apparently. Last season we were able to use their social club behind the stand at HT but that’s now for Home fans only.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!