Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2024

Comments

• Another brain dead shit. Last ball before tea. Smith had wrestled the match back to 50/50 and then slaps one to mid wicket.

How about just letting it go or patting it back to the bowler.

202 ahead. 2 wickets left. Might leave them 220 to chase, but wouldn't bet against all out in the first over back. Hull's batting record is that of a rabbit. 
    With all the proper batsmen back in the hutch and only the tailenders to play with Smith decided to throw caution to the wind and play some shots. 
    67 runs at better than a run a ball was a great effort. 
    He's the last player I would criticise in the circumstances. 
  • If Jacks is Surrey's number one spinner then they don't really have a frontline spinner at all because he's taken 7 wickets this season and has, at the age of 25 (some 9 years older than Farhan Ahmed), just 44 wickets from 54 matches to his name. Bashir has 47 wickets and he's five years younger at 20 and has only played 18 matches. But I agree that, as he can't bat, Surrey probably isn't the place for Bashir and it was probably the best thing that could have happened to him when Surrey dropped him. He would probably have ended up like Moriarty or Virdi and going nowhere fast. Presumably, Bashir was let go not just because of Jacks, Moriarty and Virdi but because they also had in the same age group as Bashir, Tommy Ealham, who is still at Surrey but can't get near the red ball side.  
    7 wickets in two games to be fair to the guy.
    With all 7 wickets in one game on a bunsen burner. If that one match were the criteria for success than 16 year old Farhan would be selected for England ahead of him. The telling stats are 44 wickets from 54 matches (37 wickets in his previous 53 games) at 42.61 at the age of almost 26. He's not a frontline red ball spinner on two fronts - one because he rarely plays red ball and two because when he does play, he simply does not regularly take wickets. 
    I'm not arguing that he is a frontline spinner nor am I arguing that he is international quality or even first class quality as a spinner. But 3 posts in a row you at best twisted facts to try and make your point, calling Cam Steel surreys one spinner, discounting Jacks wickets when comparing to the bowling of 2 opposition spinners and then presenting Jacks wickets in 2 matches as figures for the season. Its misleading when it doesn't need to be. Your point isn't wrong so no need to misrepresent to make it.
    I called Steel Surrey's number one spinner in the first post only because that's what I thought he was. I was prepared to accept your argument that he isn't because you pointed out that he doesn't play when Jacks does though that appears to have only happened once this season and statistically, that really is a moot point - Steel has 23 wickets at 27.65 and Jacks has 7 wickets at 26.85 this season and in their careers Steel has 60 wickets at 32.21 and Jacks has 44 wickets at 42.61. All 7 of Jacks' wickets were taken on a track where the ball was turning square. Joe Root could have done that.   

You also say that I'm "presenting Jacks wickets in 2 matches as figures for the season" but that is all I have for this season and is a small representation which is why I looked at his career, one where he is averaging less than one wicket a match. That is awful for someone who is meant to be a county number one spinner. In fact, Jacks has less wickets in the last four seasons (37 in total) than Dawson has taken this year. Which is why I concluded that Surrey do not have a number one spinner in the true sense. They play a batsman that can bowl spin which is why they pick the likes of Jacks and Steel and often, even when Jacks isn't available, don't bother with playing a spinner at all.

So we are both agreed. Surrey have stifled the careers of both Moriarty and Virid and had Bashir not been shown the door, he would be no way near the first team simply because, as you confirmed, Surrey wouldn't have played him due to his lack of ability with the bat. Which is why I concluded that as Bashir needs to leave Somerset (who already have a proper spinner) there would be absolutely no point him going back to them. In fact, Tommy Ealham should go back to Kent because he would get a game there and probably never will at Surrey unless he starts to average 50 plus with the bat in their 2s.    
    And when Surrey need a spinner to bowl on a bunsen burner at Taunton, they look no further than Shakib Al Hasan. Just for that one game mind.  
    To play alongside Steel because Jacks has been pulled by England.
  • I wouldn't like to see Pope given the captaincy after this test again.
    It is hard to criticise his wonderful knock in the first innings but with wickets all around him falling on Saturday and 7 down, taking on the fielder and going for a 6 was a real lack of responsibility as the skipper.
    We will see if the bowlers can get him out of jail, but this result should have been unthinkable at drinks on Saturday morning.
  • Broken lock in my toilet cubicle, Surrey clearly spending too much on signing players.
  • Great catch by Bashir, right in front of me 
  • We are bowling far too straight and making it too easy for Sri Lanka to work it off their legs for cheap runs

• Nathan Barnwell, the England sub, was in the same age group squad as Seb was for Kent. All the way through from being an 11 year old he was the fastest kid around but, judging by his lack of opportunities at Surrey, he doesn't appear to have kicked on. 
  • If a fielder came up and reversed the bails like that, I would be inclined, as the batsman, to put them back again and only then declare when I was ready to receive the ball. 
  • We are bowling far too straight and making it too easy for Sri Lanka to work it off their legs for cheap runs

As I say, easy runs. But even worse - two consecutive balls from Woaks down the legside resulting in 4 byes followed by 4 leg byes 
  • Sponsored links:

• Great innings from MOM Nissanka to go with his 64 in the first innings - 101 off 107 balls and without the need to try and smash the cover off every ball as England tried to do in this match
  • Test match batting looks very easy when you bat like a Test match batsman.

No demons in this pitch, no massive swing. England were WAY below par yesterday. Indeed they should still be batting.
  • Looking very obvious now that most of our seamers are physically struggling. Woakes looks shattered, Atkinson clearly struggling with his quad, Hull with obvious strapping on his leg. Stone doesn't seem as done in as the rest but he's definitely lacking some zip
  • The bowlers are cooked. Not sure what the point of flogging Atkinson is here. 
  • The bowlers are cooked. Not sure what the point of flogging Atkinson is here. 
    Agreed. If he wasn't to be bowling yday morning then take him out of the attack and give it to Bashir. Game is gone anyway and we're already at least one bowler down for the rest of the year 
  • This will be the highest chase from an Asian side in this country but the game should have been put beyond them anyway. Credit to Sri Lanka for sticking at it when a lot of sides might have rolled over, having been so outplayed in the series to date. 
  • 34 overs between innings really doesn't help our bowlers.
  • You're either winning or learning. England have learned a lot in this Test.
  • Kap10 said:
    Sri Lanka needing 219 are 47-1. Bloody annoying. Whatever the result ends up I doubt there will be much more than a session / session and a half tomorrow  and I have tickets 
    Same here. 50% refund 15.1 to 30 overs. 100% refund up to 15 overs.
    50% refund, woohoo 
  • And now Atkinson removed the ODI squad and replaced by Stone. So silly to have bowled him so much
  • Sponsored links:

• Marks for the Sri Lanka series 

Lawrence 2/10 ..probably never to be seen again not test class 
    Duckett 7/10 ..was out to some poor shots but that's the way he plays
    Pope 5/10 didn't rate his captaincy and scored a really sketchy ton which would probably be 20 against a better side
    Root 8/10 ..class
    Brook 5/10 ..see Duckett but are teams working him out ? 
    Smith 8/10 ..I consider him the find of the summer..could he bat at 3 to replace Pope ? Not the best keeper but a lot more to come from him 
    Woakes 6/10 bowled Well as you'd expect in home conditions..added nothing with the bat 
    Atkinson 8/10 ..by no means the finished article but you can only play what's in front of you ..like to see where he is in 18 months 
    Potts 7/10 bowled Well without luck and showed character 
    Stone 7/10 ..Good to see him injury free and bowled well 
    Wood No mark..always going to get injured
    Hull 7/10 definitely has potential but needs a lot more red ball cricket...looked very nervy
    Bashir 6/10 ..didn't do anything wrong but didn't look at all threatening..again needs more redball cricket to improve the 3 aspects of the game 
  • Chizz said:
    You're either winning or learning. England have learned a lot in this Test.
    Yep. And well done to Sri Lanka who came on leaps and bounds themselves by the final Test match. 

Perhaps they should’ve been touring for the summer and getting some proper warm ups in to acclimatise to the conditions before going in to the first Test?
  • Well that was £100 well spent!

On the plus side, back in the lovely Fentimann Arms
  • edited September 10
    England's aggregate results each Summer 
    2024 (West Indies and Sri Lanka) 5-1 
    2023 (Ireland and Australia) 3-2 
    2022 (NZ, India, South Africa) 6-1 
    2021 (NZ, India) 2-2 
    2020 (West Indies, Pakistan) 3-1 
    2019 (Ireland, Australia) 3-2 
    2018 (Pakistan, India) 5-2 
    2017 (South Africa, West Indies) 5-2 
    2016 (Sri Lanka, Pakistan) 4-2 
    2015 (West Indies, NZ, Australia) 5-4 
    2014 (Sri Lanka, India) 4-1 
    2013 (New Zealand, Australia) 5-0 
    2012 (West Indies, South Africa) 2-2 
    2011 (Sri Lanka, India) 5-0 
    2010 (Bangladesh, Pakistan) 5-1 
    2009 (West Indies, Australia) 4-1 

This year's Test record (WWWWWL) compares well with most of the last fifteen Summers, as far back as the great team of 2010-2013 (Strauss, Cook, Trott, Pietersen, Bell, Swann, Broad, Anderson et al). 
  • England Women 320-8 (50)
    Ireland Women    45-10 (16.5)

England win by 275 runs. Ouch!!!
  • Chunes said:
    Well that was £100 well spent!

On the plus side, back in the lovely Fentimann Arms
    I love & miss that pub so much 😢 ♥️
  • England Women 320-8 (50)
    Ireland Women    45-10 (16.5)

England win by 275 runs. Ouch!!!
    Tammy B got 150! I loves her so ♥️😍
  • Kap10 said:
    Sri Lanka needing 219 are 47-1. Bloody annoying. Whatever the result ends up I doubt there will be much more than a session / session and a half tomorrow  and I have tickets 
    Same here. 50% refund 15.1 to 30 overs. 100% refund up to 15 overs.
    50% refund, woohoo 
    Just got the email from Surrey Yay, 21 days to go!!
  • The last day of the Test summer, and weather wise it feels it too. Still got the Australia white ball series to come, the 2 evening T20 matches this week will be freezing!
    Glad I decided 27th September was too late in September for the Lord's match & didn't bother.