Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2024

Comments

• fenaddick said:
    I think we can safely say that the experiment of Lawrence opening is one of the few that hasn't worked for McCullum
    I think that was sort of the plan really. He gets a go having been the spare bat for ages but now can’t have any complaints if an opener is brought in in front of him in future. Never any chance we’d lose the series so worth the punt just in case it worked
    Lawrence isn't worth his place in the squad. With Stokes returning, presumably Cox will be the spare middle order batsman but they will also have to take someone who is capable of batting up top. That probably will have to be another "punt" too. 
  • fenaddick said:
    I think we can safely say that the experiment of Lawrence opening is one of the few that hasn't worked for McCullum
    I think that was sort of the plan really. He gets a go having been the spare bat for ages but now can’t have any complaints if an opener is brought in in front of him in future. Never any chance we’d lose the series so worth the punt just in case it worked
    Lawrence isn't worth his place in the squad. With Stokes returning, presumably Cox will be the spare middle order batsman but they will also have to take someone who is capable of batting up top. That probably will have to be another "punt" too. 
    He’s a decent middle order batter and can bowl his weird spin, would expect to see him travel to Pakistan (or wherever it gets played). Realistically he’s just injury cover, doesn’t have to be great 
  • Zak Crawley has been the big winner of the Dan Lawrence as opener experiment. 
  • Absolute joke to come off for this light. Can’t imagine how frustrating it must be to be there 
  • edited September 6
    fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:
    He’s a decent middle order batter and can bowl his weird spin, would expect to see him travel to Pakistan (or wherever it gets played). Realistically he’s just injury cover, doesn’t have to be great 
    I'm not sure that's "succession planning" though. This isn't about Pakistan but preparing for series against India and Australia. He averages 26.50 in 14 Tests with the bat and has only taken 3 Test wickets in 13 matches and 35 FC wickets in 129 matches so is rarely thrown the ball in red ball cricket. I'm not sure that they will take Cox and Lawrence either unless they want to see if Cox can do that job in the same way as they tried Lawrence. 

If Hull and Bashir are example of "punts" it won't necessarily be those at the top of the averages they will trial. 
  • fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:
    I'm not sure that's "succession planning" though. This isn't about Pakistan but preparing for series against India and Australia. He averages 26.50 in Tests with the bat and has only taken 3 Test wickets in 13 matches and 35 FC wickets in 129 matches so is rarely thrown the ball in red ball cricket. I'm not sure that they will take Cox and Lawrence either unless they want to see if Cox can do that job in the same way as they tried Lawrence. 

If Hull and Bashir are example of "punts" it won't necessarily be those at the top of the averages they will trial. 
    I think the punts they like to take are ones who are likely to go into the team pretty quickly, having a known quantity in the pavilion is useful. They'll know Cox can do the job but Lawrence has been in and around the group in a way Cox hasn't
  • fenaddick said:
    Absolute joke to come off for this light. Can’t imagine how frustrating it must be to be there 
    Rain started a few minutes later & now persistent drizzle. I live less than 10 miles away from the Oval & I wouldn't want to be sitting out in this today. 

Forecast looking good for tomorrow though. 
  • Duckett ducks up with one ramp too many
  • If England only played at The Oval, Pope would make Bradman look ordinary  :D
  • Mark Wood out for the rest of the year with a stress fracture to his elbow. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Shame. And surprising that it's only been diagnosed now, as I assume he's not bowled for 2 weeks since the Old Trafford Test due to his hamstring injury.
  • Shame. And surprising that it's only been diagnosed now, as I assume he's not bowled for 2 weeks since the Old Trafford Test due to his hamstring injury.
    it’s both, my guess is they gave the elbow time to calm down and then worked out the problem which stops him bowling in the winter 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Mark Wood out for the rest of the year with a stress fracture to his elbow. 
    This is why bowler's like Atkinson and Hull are being given their chance. 
    Archer and Wood are so injury prone it's a Joke. 
  • An interesting day.
    When they went off for bad light we went to the pub for a couple of hours.
    Came back & saw Pope get his 100.
  • An interesting day.
    When they went off for bad light we went to the pub for a couple of hours.
    Came back & saw Pope get his 100.
    Same!
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Mark Wood out for the rest of the year with a stress fracture to his elbow. 
    This is why bowler's like Atkinson and Hull are being given their chance. 
    Archer and Wood are so injury prone it's a Joke. 

I'd be surprised if Jof makes it through the T20 series without an injury scare. 
  • edited September 7
    Ollie Pope is the first batsman in history to score his first seven Test hundreds against seven different opponents.

135 n/o vs South Africa, 1/2020
    145 vs New Zealand, 6/2022
    108 vs Pakistan, 12/2022
    205 vs Ireland, 6/2023
    196 vs India, 1/2024
    121 vs West Indies, 7/2024
    103 n/o vs Sri Lanka, 9/2024
  • Ollie Pope is the first batsman in history to score his first seven Test hundreds against seven different opponents.

135 n/o vs South Africa
    145 vs New Zealand
    108 vs Pakistan
    205 vs Ireland
    196 vs India
    121 vs West Indies
    103 n/o vs Sri Lanka
    Next against Aus? Or Zim?
  • If England only played at The Oval, Pope would make Bradman look ordinary  :D
    Test batting averages at the Oval 

Bradman 138.25 
    Pope 88.00 

...but Pope has power to add 
  • Sponsored links:

• Off to the Oval today to see England at home for the first time. Hopefully the weather stays dry and bright! 
  • Sometimes I honestly can’t believe how easily England throw away their wickets.
  • Sometimes I honestly can’t believe how easily England throw away their wickets.
    It's been a poor quality game so far. Poor bowling, and casual batting. Tough conditions, but bat like this against Australia and we'll be skittled for 200.
  • it’s got quite a casual end of term type feel to it
  • Other than Duckett and Pope, it's not as if most of the players managed to score quickly either. They just slogged and got out.
    It's been a poor quality game so far. Poor bowling, and casual batting. Tough conditions, but bat like this against Australia and we'll be skittled for 200.
    Yes, they might get away with casual batting against teams like Sri Lanka and West Indies but they will get punished by stronger teams like Australia and India. I understand they are trying to apply pressure on the bowling team but sometimes they are throwing their wickets away and potentially bringing the opposition back into it.
  • Reading the BBC updates, Chris Woakes has been told to bowl offspinners to finish his over?
  • Reading the BBC updates, Chris Woakes has been told to bowl offspinners to finish his over?
    Bad light. Brightened up straight after his over
  • I am usually all for the fame to carry on & often moan about overs not being made up the next day

But currently we are bowling spinners that are having no effect whereas the seasmrrsxjave been taking all the wickets. Perhaps its time to put England's interests first & put the seamers on. If we go off for bad light then so be it.