Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Preview: Charlton Athletic Vs Oxford Utd | Monday 1st Jan 2024 - Kick-Off 15:00

Comments

• Options
    Late Christmas present for Oxford, the unwrapped one found under the Christmas tree as you clear up all the decorations...

1-3
  • Options
    If you are driving to the game don't assume that parking restrictions are not in force because it's the  New Year's Day public holiday. 
    I got a parking ticket a few years back.
    There are no parking restrictions on New Year's Day
    Thank you. That's good to hear.
  • Options
    3 pts from a possible 15. Atrocious.
    If he’s stupid enough to persist with May on the wing then he’s in for the stick he’ll get from the fans.
    Cant see a win. Maybe a 1-1. 
  • Options
    0-3
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Things started to get a bit nasty after last night but if there is another performance like the last few games it will get a lot worse. We as CAFC fans don’t expect much but the last few weeks have been totally unacceptable 

I was firmly in the Appleton out camp but reading what Brasiliance wrote earlier I’m thinking have I missed something? Another shitshow performance will demonstrate to me that he can’t motivate players
    I don’t think ‘motivation’ is the problem, to me it looks like the issue can be traced back to whatever they are doing, or not doing on the training ground. To watch a game it looks like they can’t be practising corners, free kicks, tackling, looking up before they pass to see if there is teammate there, controlling the ball etc though I doubt that is the case, they must be practising those, surely, so it might simply be that the likely line up for the next match isn’t getting an opportunity to get used to playing alongside each other (that would fit with the slow starts and gaps with the late substitutions). It could also be that what works on the training ground when they practice that stuff is flawed in that it might work for the Charlton squad when they practice against each other but that none of the other teams we are playing have a problem in dealing with it.
  • Options
    Giving this a swerve despite having a season ticket - I can't see anything other than a defeat and if he fails to get any reaction from the players then I can't see how Appleton can stay in post and for the 3rd season running whatever budget we have for transfers will be reduced by having to pay off yet another piss poor managerial appointment - clearly the new owners have observed and learnt nothing from the previous regimes track record with selecting then having to fire the manager. Not that I want Appleton to stay he's completely useless and I wouldn't trust him with a transfer window - he clearly has no tactical nous and no motivational skills 
  • Options
    Not expecting the new year to start well - and if (and when) we go behind, the crowd will rightly let their feelings known about Apppleton and the team he picks. Whether the board do anything about it, only time will tell. IMO we should dump him, bring in someone "good" and then back them with the dosh that is apparently available. MA is not the man to take us anywhere - get rid now please.

CA 0 - OU 3
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    0-5

Something needs to change
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    27th October 2020
    2 goals from Shinnie & a 5th consecutive clean sheet!

‘Charlton won their fourth game in a row as they earned a comfortable win at home to Oxford United.

After a quiet opening, where neither side created a chance, the visitors had the first opportunity on 26 minutes. Anthony Forde took the ball from inside his own half and was able to go on a powerful solo run which deserved more than him firing over the bar.

Charlton took the lead on 31 minutes, when Conor Washington picked up a through-ball by Andrew Shinnie and was able to slot home past goalkeeper Simon Eastwood.

The lead was doubled just before the break when Shinnie delivered a superb free-kick from the edge of the area into the top left of the goal.

Charlton were reduced to 10 men on 66 minutes when Ryan Inniss received a second yellow for a foul on Matty Taylor.

Oxford looked for an opening but to little avail as the hosts held on comfortably for their fifth consecutive clean sheet.’

Less said about the subsequent encounters the better. 

• Options
    3-1 to Oxford.
  • Options
    I don’t want to be listening to a load of toxic crap every Home game. We all say to each other how crap we are but focus on why we are crap rather than just be content to sit in it . Talk should be on how to fix it  to improve things, I don’t think we should be booing every time they walk off having lost as they probably will Tomorrow. I think Appleton who has been talking about the January Window for sometime should be given the opportunity and let’s see what happens then. We can write this season off as any new players will need time to bed in and stay uninjured. It is such a shame this season  (as in most of our seasons) that injuries have once again done for us. Is there a reason why this is so? Not sure. 
  • Options
    Just checked. Trains running from SW London so I suppose I'll have to endure it.

To think, I missed all this during my years in Thailand!
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    I’m going tomorrow. Despite the negativity and constructive criticism I’ve been posting about our recent performances I actually think we will win this one and it’s been a while since I last confidently thought before the game that would happen. COYR
  • Options
    Lose this and I think everyone that hasn't turned will start. 
  • Options
    As terrible as our performances and form has been, we haven’t conceded more than 2 goals in a game since Lincoln, 24 October. 

Having stated that fact, I feel tomorrow will be the moment we do concede at least 3. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    If ever there was a game to play May in the 10 this is it! Under Buckingham, Oxford defend in a 4-4-2. It’s a rigid set up and May in a 10 will be able to go and post against their CB’s with either Kanu or Tedic. They will not break their shape to track. Because of the rigidity of their defensive shapes, quick ball use (Watson) can cause a massive issue in the space between the two CM’s & Rodrigues. 
    Tyler Goodrham isn’t great defensively and ball tracks, not just his eyes but body shape as well. Again, because of the rigidity, a vertical pass between McGuane and Goodrham has Goodrham turning inside and following the ball more often than not. Tennai/Asiimwe will then be in his blindside and a 1st time pass square infront of our RB to run on to will create a 2 v 1 against their left back. 1) Tennai/ Asiimwe needs to be high enough to expose this and 2) we need quick ball use and a natural RM/RW that will exploit it (TC?).
    They are about as bad aerially as we are, especially from open play. Given we can post 2v2 vs their CB’s and can expose 2v1’s in the wide right area, Tedic vs Kanu heading ability and willingness will be a key decision on who starts. 
    Last but not least, we don’t need to force CBT into the game, their transition between 4-2-3-1 when going forward (4 runners and Brannigan supporting, McGuane stays deep to cover) and their 4-4-2 defensive shape is slow, especially from their wingers. Quick transition, arrive either side of McGuane from the striker, (May in 10 can spin behind) with a support player to set to, will drag a CB and create space inside. One pass will release CBT 1v1 with no defensive support inside. (Our 10 if spun & RW will be 2v2 centrally) That will need patience, it will come in transition not in build up.

Just want to see us line up with those best suited to expose Oxford’s weaknesses, tactically set up and in game show that we’ve understood how to and then compete with urgency and desire. Result will be a bonus. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    0-2 and the beginning of the end for MA. 
    Tuesday morning he tells his boss about injuries etc, and sets about strengthening the squad with some wash-up from WBA etc.
    it makes little difference, and like every year, our season is over by Feb. 

The party line is “we are x points off the playoffs”. “Plenty of points to play for etc”, but CAFC die-hard fans (prob down to 6000 nowadays) know that it is just toffee. 

Grim predictions I know, but probably correct. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Lose this and I think everyone that hasn't turned will start. 
    "Sack the board, sack the board"
  • Options
    I feared the worst when it came to appointing Appleton. Had hoped Garner and Holden would do better.
    My fears have come to roost, lets face it his days should be numbered, even if we appointed JP or even Andy Scott as interim surely could not be worse. Appleton ie complete failure (sorry if this upsets some of you but my honest opinion).
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    I cannot find a decent reason not to go other than don't want to, so will attend and hope for a miracle. 
  • Options
    If ever there was a game to play May in the 10 this is it! Under Buckingham, Oxford defend in a 4-4-2. It’s a rigid set up and May in a 10 will be able to go and post against their CB’s with either Kanu or Tedic. They will not break their shape to track. Because of the rigidity of their defensive shapes, quick ball use (Watson) can cause a massive issue in the space between the two CM’s & Rodrigues. 
    Tyler Goodrham isn’t great defensively and ball tracks, not just his eyes but body shape as well. Again, because of the rigidity, a vertical pass between McGuane and Goodrham has Goodrham turning inside and following the ball more often than not. Tennai/Asiimwe will then be in his blindside and a 1st time pass square infront of our RB to run on to will create a 2 v 1 against their left back. 1) Tennai/ Asiimwe needs to be high enough to expose this and 2) we need quick ball use and a natural RM/RW that will exploit it (TC?).
    They are about as bad aerially as we are, especially from open play. Given we can post 2v2 vs their CB’s and can expose 2v1’s in the wide right area, Tedic vs Kanu heading ability and willingness will be a key decision on who starts. 
    Last but not least, we don’t need to force CBT into the game, their transition between 4-2-3-1 when going forward (4 runners and Brannigan supporting, McGuane stays deep to cover) and their 4-4-2 defensive shape is slow, especially from their wingers. Quick transition, arrive either side of McGuane from the striker, (May in 10 can spin behind) with a support player to set to, will drag a CB and create space inside. One pass will release CBT 1v1 with no defensive support inside. (Our 10 if spun & RW will be 2v2 centrally) That will need patience, it will come in transition not in build up.

Just want to see us line up with those best suited to expose Oxford’s weaknesses, tactically set up and in game show that we’ve understood how to and then compete with urgency and desire. Result will be a bonus. 
    This is not the place for football analysis. Just sayin’.
  • Options
    Has there ever been a season when 2 managers of the same team have been fired after losing to the same team

0-3 against our bogey side 
  • Options

Please send to info@cafc.

I'm not up on all this technical/tactical stuff, so what is a vertical pass? Is it like in the ad where Peter Kaye gives some welly?
  • Options
    This is surely a must win game, but I can't see us doing so. Defeat and the toxic atmosphere will get worse. After an awful December, please CAFC start the year on a positive note! Think this will be another draw.

It's about time we started building the team around Alfie May rather than CBT. I would be tempted to rest CBT and use him as an impact sub. CBT offers no support to Edun at all, constantly leaving him exposed. I would love to see 3-5-2 bringing in Thomas and pushing the full backs into wide midfield, but guess it will be the ineffective 4-3-3 as usual!

Even after the last month, I am still looking forward to this (as always). I live in eternal hope of turning a corner!
  • Options
    no idea what the result will be but I can guarantee we’ll concede at least one after the 80th min
  • Options
    Surely this is the perfect chance for us to match their 442 & try two upfront:

AMB
    Watson Hector Jones Edun
    Campbell Dobson Watson CBT
    May Tedic
    Just as long as Alfie May is fit enough to play.

As for Tedic he should be back in Manchester