Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How many Lifers raised or lived in SE7?

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2023
    SE3 Stratheden Road.  In fact don't know why I'm talking to you SE7 plebs?
  • Options
    I wasn't sure, but I was born just across the border in Woolwich SE18, and lived in SE18 for the first year of my life. Never lived in SE7!

As a few other people have mentioned it, I was also born in the British Hospital for Mothers and Babies.

Was that the nearest hospital to The Valley, even if it wasn't in SE7?
  • Options
    Another born in British Hospital for Mothers And Babies. My grandparents lived in Heathwood Gardens for around 60 years 'til the mid 70's and my parents were both "proper Charlton". Mum was at Wembley in '46 and Dad was (genuinely) at the 7-6 game in '57. But I was brought up "fringe" (Kidbrooke SE3).
  • Options
    Not born, but raised. Wilson House, Springfield Grove. 
  • Options
    Parents and sister live on the Cherry Orchard, I’m a little further away.
  • Options
    One lot of my grandparents lived in Troughton Road and the other lot had a post office in Hillreach. My parents lived in Kinveachy Gardens. 
    That’s the Charlton link for me. The nearest I got was SE3.
  • Options
    Lived Delafield road for a short while.
  • Options
    Raised in Plumstead having escaped Peckham when I was 6. My mum and dad moved to Valiant House in 1981 and I lived with them there for 5 years, with my bedroom overlooking half the pitch. 
  • Options
    Born in Sandhurst Road SE6, My uncle took us to Charlton & Millwall  every other Saturday, I took the sensible decision.
  • Options
    I wasn't sure, but I was born just across the border in Woolwich SE18, and lived in SE18 for the first year of my life. Never lived in SE7!

As a few other people have mentioned it, I was also born in the British Hospital for Mothers and Babies.

Yes think it was.  I was born in St Alfege's.  Hard to believe that in those days you rang for an ambulance (in my case from the telephone box at the junction of Marlborough Lane and Canberra Road) to take you in to hospital when you were in labour. She should have gone to the Memorial Hospital Shooters Hill but no beds available so she ended up at St Alfege's in Greenwich.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Me too and it is right near the border :)
  • Options
    Born St Alfege`s , lived SE3 , Went to Ealdham Sq Juniors then on to Thomas Tallis .  
  • Options
    SE3 Stratheden Road.  In fact don't why I'm talking to you SE7 plebs?
    Good to see SE3 mentioned at last.  Born in Lee, lived in Cambridge Drive but spent later years round the corner from Soapy in Langton Way.
  • Options
    Lived in Shooters Hill until I was 8, moved to SE7 (Kinveachy) and moved out when I was 23
  • Options
    Another outsider
  • Options
    Never live in SE7, however worked in Victoria Way from 83-91 and then in Ferranti Close 92-95, not far from Seimens meadows.
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    Raised in Plumstead having escaped Peckham when I was 6. My mum and dad moved to Valiant House in 1981 and I lived with them there for 5 years, with my bedroom overlooking half the pitch. 
    Did your dad work on the building of VH?
  • Options
    Badger said:
    Lived Delafield road for a short while.
    Mentioned in the Squeeze song, re 98 PO Final.
  • Options
    Good to see SE3 mentioned at last.  Born in Lee, lived in Cambridge Drive but spent later years round the corner from Soapy in Langton Way.
    Lived in Leyland Road for a year, lovely flat (2009-10).
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    My dad didn’t work on the construction of Valiant House but he subsequently became the caretaker in the block and the flat came with the job. I’m sure he worked with your dad on other sites - and, of course, downed many pints with him down at St. Patrick’s club !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    surprised how many at some stage have lived in SE7 tbh.

So I reckon:

SE7 - Proper Charlton

SE3, 9, 10 and 18 - Fringe Charlton

The rest of us - Glory boys 
    Surely there should be an elite category for conceived and born in Charlton.

• Options
    Born in Hackney just after war, moved to Blackheath Village in 1954, Dad had fish and chip shop on Woolwich Road (where Reg Smith would practise playing guitar in the back room). Charltonised since those days.
  • Options
    Grew up in Eltham but had first few years in Victoria way
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    Blucher said:
    My dad didn’t work on the construction of Valiant House but he subsequently became the caretaker in the block and the flat came with the job. I’m sure he worked with your dad on other sites - and, of course, downed many pints with him down at St. Patrick’s club !
    Remember your dad being a steward at the Valley.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Glenshee said:
    Born in Hackney just after war, moved to Blackheath Village in 1954, Dad had fish and chip shop on Woolwich Road (where Reg Smith would practise playing guitar in the back room). Charltonised since those days.
    The Reg Smith that later became Marty Wilde? Is he an Addick does anyone know?
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    Blucher said:
    Remember your dad being a steward at the Valley.
    He was, indeed. Worked in the players’ bar some of the time. He particularly liked Nicky Johns and Don McAllister (for the short time he was here) and Ronnie Moore was an amusing bloke. My dad carried on over at Selhurst Park but jacked it in when the team moved to Upton Park.
  • Options
    Raised SE12, then lived in SE7 for 10 years, ending last year. Now in SE5 #turncoat #millwallcountry
  • Options
    Grew up on Little Heath SE7 before moving Lewisham and eventually Thanet. Roughly 20 years as season ticket holder with just a 15 minute walk through the park with my dad.

Wife recently took a job at Greenwich Uni so very coincidentally may well end up back in SE7 by the end of 2024.
  • Options
    Glenshee said:
    My Dad had a men’s clothing shop (called gentlemen’s outfitters in those days) in Blackheath Village and another one at the Standard.
  • Options
    Suits you sir