Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your total number of games

Evening everyone,

I was bored last night so sat and worked out my total number of Charlton games since my first one, Swindon at Selhurst on the opening day of 1990/91. 

I always knew my total for each of those early seasons but it's been years since I kept a tally. I have clearer memories of the 1990s seasons of my youth than the past decade. 

I have done 763 games of which 265 are away games. I didn't include friendlies. (Not sure why I didn't as I've done two Dublin tours and Belgium.) An average of just over 20 games per season. I've done two thirds of our home games in my 33 years of support and a third of our away games. 

I'm not entirely sure why I'm sharing this, perhaps having read the Cheltenham attendance thread I wanted to convince myself and others that this labour of love that is following Charlton Athletic is worth it. I felt a sense of pride that I have lived up to the song and travelled many miles. 

We are in a trough right now but I still enjoy going to our matches. I don't know if this amounts to a call to arms but perhaps a way to get us all to pause and reflect as to what made you fall in love with our club in the first place. 

I'd love to know other people's records of those who keep track. 

Comments

• Options
    I've missed 5 home games in 50 years = @1150
    Half the away games = @500
    So maybe 1500/1650 at a guess. 
    which 5 @Covered End and why ?
  • Options
    Missing only 5 in 50 years is very impressive. By Xmas I’d have missed 3 already this season although I don’t expect to miss any more after that. Having been supporting since 1972 and a season ticket every year except two since 1980 and doing loads of away games over the years I’m well over a thousand in total but wouldn’t like to be more specific other than that.
  • Options
    Would love to know how much we’ve all spent on match tickets, season tickets, train travel, car fuel , plane travel, and hotels and food at the club, add it all up, and probably could have bought the club!
  • Options
    Evening everyone,

I was bored last night so sat and worked out my total number of Charlton games since my first one, Swindon at Selhurst on the opening day of 1990/91. 

I always knew my total for each of those early seasons but it's been years since I kept a tally. I have clearer memories of the 1990s seasons of my youth than the past decade. 

I have done 763 games of which 265 are away games. I didn't include friendlies. (Not sure why I didn't as I've done two Dublin tours and Belgium.) An average of just over 20 games per season. I've done two thirds of our home games in my 33 years of support and a third of our away games. 

I'm not entirely sure why I'm sharing this, perhaps having read the Cheltenham attendance thread I wanted to convince myself and others that this labour of love that is following Charlton Athletic is worth it. I felt a sense of pride that I have lived up to the song and travelled many miles. 

We are in a trough right now but I still enjoy going to our matches. I don't know if this amounts to a call to arms but perhaps a way to get us all to pause and reflect as to what made you fall in love with our club in the first place. 

So, Burton, two days before Christmas Day will be your 500th home game..?
  • Options
    Evening everyone,

Leave off 9 goals.
    I have no idea how many games I've been to.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clb74 said:
    Evening everyone,

Leave off 9 goals.
    I have no idea how many games I've been to.
    Ha ha, fair enough mate. I'm sad enough to know my mates' own totals more closely than they do. 
  • Options
    clive said:
    The last home game i missed was Charlton v Notts County 16th August 1975.
    I've not missed an away game since the covid lock down.
    I attended every away game in our Premiership period.
    I forget when i started to attend nearly every away game, probably late 70's early 80''s.
    I've no idea how many games i've attended, based on @Covered Ends figures about 2,000.

Also it disappoints me reading peoples various reasons for not attending home matches, nothing beats a few hours out of the house, meeting mates, a few pints & game at 'The Valley'.
    Its not all about the football or the result, although winning obviously helps.

You two are absolute legends 

I completely agree.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    West Ham @1979 won 1-0 Gritt goal - sister's wedding. She got divorced a few years later.
    Leeds play off game at Selhurst Park - had booked a Paris weekend break with fiancee.
    Man C 1st game @2000, 5-0. Sister's step daughter's wedding.
    Burnley last home game when relegated a few seasons back, mate's weekend away, possibly stag do.
    Can't remember the other one but reckon it was a relation's wedding.

I sense a theme emerging.....
  • Options
    Probably around 3-400
  • Options
    All of the above both admirable and remarkable…
  • Options
    clive said:
    The last home game i missed was Charlton v Notts County 16th August 1975.
    I've not missed an away game since the covid lock down.
    I attended every away game in our Premiership period.
    I forget when i started to attend nearly every away game, probably late 70's early 80''s.
    I've no idea how many games i've attended, based on @Covered Ends figures about 2,000.

Also it disappoints me reading peoples various reasons for not attending home matches, nothing beats a few hours out of the house, meeting mates, a few pints & game at 'The Valley'.
    Its not all about the football or the result, although winning obviously helps.

Yes, but what if you catch a cold Clive :😊
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    He couldn't be bothered.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    West Ham @1979 won 1-0 Gritt goal - sister's wedding. She got divorced a few years later.
    Leeds play off game at Selhurst Park - had booked a Paris weekend break with fiancee.
    Burnley last home game when relegated a few seasons back, mate's weekend away, possibly stag do.

The West Ham game was televised on danish telly I learnt today, courtesy of Cafc facts and stats twitter. I’m sure you managed to find a stream of it at the wedding. 

City was 4-0!  

5 in 50 years is fucking mental. Is that league only, or cup as well ?!

i doth my cap to you pal.

i reckon im very close to hitting my 1000. I reckon im averaging 30 games a season total in the 31 years I’ve been going, which included an 8 year run of not missing a home league or cup game. 
  • Options
    No idea on home games as have been going regularly all my life (born in 76) and my Mum who originally took me is useless a remembering games.

Away games (League and Cup) is 350+
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    So basically we win when covered end doesn’t go to a game 
  • Options
    too many 
  • Options
    That's a tough question, difficult to even work out.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Started going in about 1983 I reckon. 

Been to 46 away grounds, some a few times so I guess 65-70 away games. 

Probably 18 average home games a season - I go to most but not all. 

Missed two seasons whilst globe trotting.  So maybe 680ish home games? 

Total 750 give or take.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    MrOneLung said:

The West Ham game was televised on danish telly I learnt today, courtesy of Cafc facts and stats twitter. I’m sure you managed to find a stream of it at the wedding. 

City was 4-0!  

5 in 50 years is fucking mental. Is that league only, or cup as well ?!

i doth my cap to you pal.

i reckon im very close to hitting my 1000. I reckon im averaging 30 games a season total in the 31 years I’ve been going, which included an 8 year run of not missing a home league or cup game. 
    It includes all cup games including Bristol Street Motors Cup & the record low crowd v Fulham U21's a few seasons ago. 
  • Options
    Only done a complete season once, 2001/2 if I'm not mistaken.
    Seen us on around 140 grounds.