Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wigan Athletic Vs Charlton Athletic | Match Preview 31/10/23 | 19:45 Kick-Off

Comments

• Options
    NabySarr said:
    *Copy and Paste for the third game running*

Start Leaburn with C. Campbell on the right for that "different" wide player option, keep T. Campbell and Asiimwe for the second half injection that HAD been working so well and Tedic as a second half striking option.

AMB
      T Watson Hector Jones Thomas
              L Watson Dobson
    C. Campbell               CBT
                        May
                     Leaburn

Walker, Asiimwe, Ness, Fraser, Camara, T.Campbell, Tedic

3-1 Loss however
    I think our problem is this kind of line up isn’t good enough defensively. It’s fine when you are at home to Exeter and Reading but in tougher games it gets exposed 
    And Leaburn is not (yet) any good as a lone striker.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Interesting to see how the NTT20 guys have massively climbed down in their assessment of our squad and chances since their assessment when the window shut. From having one of the best squads in the league, there's now apparently a clear gap in our ability to compete with the top sides. 

Hopefully their opinions are taken with a bigger pinch of salt in future 
    To be fair to them they said we'd signed very strong players which we had at the time. The weaker spots have been after that comment, particularly in fullback areas with T Watson and no backup LB option. They specifically mentioned May, Jones and Camara being good signings which I think is true even if Camara hasn't been able to play as much as we'd like
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    Chunes said:
    Interesting to see how the NTT20 guys have massively climbed down in their assessment of our squad and chances since their assessment when the window shut. From having one of the best squads in the league, there's now apparently a clear gap in our ability to compete with the top sides. 

To be fair to them they said we'd signed very strong players which we had at the time. The weaker spots have been after that comment, particularly in fullback areas with T Watson and no backup LB option. They specifically mentioned May, Jones and Camara being good signings which I think is true even if Camara hasn't been able to play as much as we'd like
    Yeah their predictions are done before the season starts, so they have to make assumptions based on business so far. If they were asked at the end of the transfer window they might have a different view. 

Our squad is still one of the stronger ones in the league though, and should be performing at top 6 level in my opinion 
  • Options
    I thought we were the Latics who played at Valley Parade?
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    fenaddick said:
    Chunes said:

They did say that, but they said a lot more, too. I'm not gonna go back and look at all they said but I remember one of them saying that with the squad we have, we should be dominating most of the opposition. They were both overrating us and one of them spent a whole day arguing with our fans on Twitter about our squad. 
  • Options
    going to wait for team news before even considering watching stream. If Frasers in, I’m out.
  • Options
    Thomas to be our undoing, either ball watching or caught out of postion. 
    Hope for 1-1. Reckon 2-0. 
  • Options
    going to wait for team news before even considering watching stream. If Frasers in, I’m out.
    Praying Watson's back in the midfield with Dobbo. No coincidence Dobson's had 2 poor games since Fraser's return. Dobbo does his running!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2-2, the team has goals in it on its day. A point away from home would be a good platform for progress going forward - fingers are crossed!
  • Options
    On a side note, anyone know any recommendations for a beer before the game tonight?

First time at Wigan away for me :)
  • Options
    On a side note, anyone know any recommendations for a beer before the game tonight?

First time at Wigan away for me :)
    The Anvil.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    NabySarr said:
    fenaddick said:
    Chunes said:

Yeah their predictions are done before the season starts, so they have to make assumptions based on business so far. If they were asked at the end of the transfer window they might have a different view. 

Our squad is still one of the stronger ones in the league though, and should be performing at top 6 level in my opinion 
    I'm referring to the opinions they gave when the window shut and when Appleton was appointed. 

Re: "This squad belongs in the top 6", we've been saying that every season on this board, even when we've had the likes of Gilbey and Stockley as key players. Results don't lie. We need a big January to have a chance. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Where is this? In their latest podcast?
  • Options
    In the last few @Callumcafc
  • Options
    Got a feeling we will get a hiding today. Can’t stress how poor we look when we are without the ball trying to press the opposition.

4-0 Wigan. 
  • Options
    Hard place to play a midweek winter fixture.
    Dowies downfall Nov 2006 was Wigan,
    Appleton does not face Dowies fate but 
    Charlton will ship goals 3-0 defeat.
    Anyone traveling up deserves a medal.
    Do we have any influence/say on fixtures? I did think there was an option for specifying fixtures for Xmas/Easter. Just crossed my mind it would be better to have the "local" games Portsmouth/Reading/Stevenage mid week for team and fans. At least Orient away is  Boxing Day.
    There was an away day table on last seasons travel, Plymouth did something like 50-60% more miles than the average L1 team. We did something like20% more, teams like Burton did 20-25% less miles.

Credit to the fans travelling today. Fingers crossed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curbs Ball
    if you like real ale there is a Micro pub close To one of The Wigan Stations 
  • Options
    pub Is called Wigan Central close To Wigan Wallgate Station 
  • Options
    pub Is called Wigan Central close To Wigan Wallgate Station 
    Great, thanks for that mate. I'll definitely give that a go! Going into Wallgate so be ideal, thanks!
  • Options
    It's odds on - and would be so typically Charlton - that both Dobson and May get booked tonight and so miss the trip to Portsmouth!
    I have been looking for sites since Sunday that will take this Bet on as I fancy the same but cant find any. If anyone comes across a site that takes bets on league 1 named players to be book let me know please.
  • Options
    For no reason at all I’m feeling confident about tonight. Surely after the last few games this squad has enough about it to show they mean business. If they put in another gutless performance then even I will realise we are probably just a mid table league one team
  • Options
    Nicholas said:
    It's odds on - and would be so typically Charlton - that both Dobson and May get booked tonight and so miss the trip to Portsmouth!
    I have been looking for sites since Sunday that will take this Bet on as I fancy the same but cant find any. If anyone comes across a site that takes bets on league 1 named players to be book let me know please.
    They don’t. In the lower league it’s only for TV games. 
  • Options
    Wont be buying the steam tonight. Don't think I've seen us win on Charlton TV when away from home. Will hope Sky show the goals & will also follow it on here. 

Head says 3-1 defeat.
  • Options
    For those interested, I rang the Wigan ticket office today, and for those who make a last minute decision, you can pay on the day. I couldn't see this advertised on the Charlton or Wigan socials. 

Also, my last 11 games away where I have specifically drove, I have watched us lose 6 times and draw the other 5. On a terrible streak atm and really hoping I break it tonight to make the 9 hour round trip a bit more bearable..

See everyone there, heading off soonish 
    Are you sure you want to go, we will not complain if you miss this one 🥴
  • Options
    Got £10 free bet backed Wigan so should get at least a draw tonight now 
  • Options
    Fine debut preview @Braziliance.

My sense of pedantry has been offended by 'alluded' instead of 'eluded' but that is just me.

Content excellent.