Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wigan Athletic Vs Charlton Athletic | Match Preview 31/10/23 | 19:45 Kick-Off

Comments

• Can't see further than a win for The Lactics.

1-3
  • edited October 2023
    sam3110 said:
    seth plum said:
    Swisdom said:
    seth plum said:
    A must win.
    Away from home against one of the stronger teams in the league?  I'd say it's more of a "must not get pumped"
    My aspiration is to try to get back on track for automatic promotion.
    Whilst we sit 15th, 4 points above the drop zone.

Fucking deluded
    Win every game and we can be Champions of Europe in 2027.
    If we carry on winning every game we'll win everything forever & the rest of football may as well give up.
  • Brilliant @Braziliance

we need to get back on track .. a wet Tuesday night in the north west might not be the preferred journey, BUT we need to desperately improve on Saturday's slow starting performance. As I have said previously, despite a forever ongoing injury list, Appleton must very soon settle on a regular line up and sets of tactics otherwise his good start will soon be long forgotten. The defence needs sharpening up and May needs help up front.

As said, Wigan have clawed their way out of the relegation zone despite a punitive points deduction, they've won their last three

I'll be happy with a point from this, we have a decent squad and now is the time to REALLY prove it against a gritty outfit
  • Time for Tennai to prove he's better than Clare. 
  • edited October 2023
    Talal said:
                                  AMB

Ness  Jones  Thomas
    T.Watson                                    Asiimwe 
                        Dobson  L.Watson 
                                Camara

Leaburn   May

As seems to have been the case for ages, no formation completely suits us but I'd probably go for this despite not really being a fan of wingbacks. 
    I think you can afford to have CBT on one side, if he’s caught upfield the rest of the defence can easily shift into a back 4 so we aren’t caught out. 

It’s how we played in the first 2 games of the season and it worked well, we beat Orient and with better players in attacking positions we’d probably have got something at Peterborough. No idea why Holden abandoned it after 2 decent games with a poor selection of players available to him. Maybe he would have returned to it if he’d got Leaburn/Tedic 
  • NabySarr said:
    Talal said:
                                  AMB

Ness  Jones  Thomas
    T.Watson                                    Asiimwe 
                        Dobson  L.Watson 
                                Camara

Leaburn   May

As seems to have been the case for ages, no formation completely suits us but I'd probably go for this despite not really being a fan of wingbacks. 
    I think you can afford to have CBT on one side, if he’s caught upfield the rest of the defence can easily shift into a back 4 so we aren’t caught out. 

It’s how we played in the first 2 games of the season and it worked well, we beat Orient and with better players in attacking positions we’d probably have got something at Peterborough. No idea why Holden abandoned it after 2 decent games with a poor selection of players available to him. Maybe he would have returned to it if he’d got Leaburn/Tedic 
    This is the team I’d go with although not Watson - probably CBT instead 
  • You’d hope CBT could rip Clare a new one if he can slip past Sess
  • Watson and Campbell  or Clare and Sessegnon?

Please discuss. 
  • Cheers @Lincsaddick but I have to say, I've missed a real trick with not going with a Halloween themed match preview for you all, feel it could have been a real treat and a bit amateur by me not to pick up on it.

On that note. Does anyone know if we can pay on the day tomorrow I've somehow convinced (brainwashed) my cousins into coming with me for the long drive. Hoping they can just pay on the day 
  • And I'm afraid I have seen enough of Mr Hector for one season. 

If he isn't dropped after.his inept and embarrassing performance on Saturday, I  can only assume he is engaged in an intense extra marital affair with the Head Coach. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Need to dig deep and somehow force a draw but it’s difficult to be confident. Can’t see past another 2 - 0 defeat.
  • Thank you for covering in my absence @Braziliance great preview.
  • Good work Braz. 👏

Reposting this from the ‘Away’ thread. 

We need to change our set up for away matches, I reckon. At Lincoln we started with only five defensively minded outfield players; the back four plus Dobson.
    Add Fraser, Tupac, Alfie, CB-T and Leaburn, and not one of those players are at all defensively minded. That doesn’t make for a winning away formula. 

So I'd 100% start with Dobson, Louie Watson over Fraser (home and away) and try to shoehorn Camara in as well. Same as Braziliance.
    So you'd then only have three out and out attackers, all of whom are quite pacy, making us dangerous from breaks.

AMB

Watson/Asiimwe   Hector/Ness    Jones    Edun/Thomas

L Watson    Dobson    Camara     

May          CBT

Leaburn

Tyreece would be be the super sub. 
  • I think Thomas is injured..
  • Sage said:
    Thank you for covering in my absence @Braziliance great preview.
    Cheers Sage, I had a read of yours and tried to replicate. Started getting the sweats when I saw how in depth your team reviews are and had to bring out the old Google haha. Nice one 

Cheers @JamesSeed
  • edited October 2023
    I pray Appleton shakes thing up tomorrow. If he doesn’t I suspect we’ll lose.
    Don’t want to see Fraser start, @SDAddick. You say L Watson sometimes loses his man, but Fraser is far worse defensively
  • Really feel we will struggle in this one. I hope the good start under Appleton doesn't turn out to be a new manager bounce. 

1-0 to Wigan with them in control, without us ever looking too likely is my guess. 
  • fenaddick said:
    You’d hope CBT could rip Clare a new one if he can slip past Sess
    Will be very interesting to see who wins the battle down our left flank.

I’m going for 3-1 Wigan.

Sean Clare brace & a 40 yard screamer from Sess.
  • Sponsored links:

• *Copy and Paste for the third game running*

Start Leaburn with C. Campbell on the right for that "different" wide player option, keep T. Campbell and Asiimwe for the second half injection that HAD been working so well and Tedic as a second half striking option.

AMB
      T Watson Hector Jones Thomas
              L Watson Dobson
    C. Campbell               CBT
                        May
                     Leaburn

Walker, Asiimwe, Ness, Fraser, Camara, T.Campbell, Tedic

3-1 Loss however
  • *Copy and Paste for the third game running*

Start Leaburn with C. Campbell on the right for that "different" wide player option, keep T. Campbell and Asiimwe for the second half injection that HAD been working so well and Tedic as a second half striking option.

AMB
              L Watson Dobson
                        May
                     Leaburn

3-1 Loss however
    I think our problem is this kind of line up isn’t good enough defensively. It’s fine when you are at home to Exeter and Reading but in tougher games it gets exposed 
  • And I'm afraid I have seen enough of Mr Hector for one season. 

If he isn't dropped after.his inept and embarrassing performance on Saturday, I  can only assume he is engaged in an intense extra marital affair with the Head Coach. 
    There was only two inept and embrassing performances on Saturday …. it was not Hector him and Jones played pretty well considering they had to cover other positions as well as there own 
  • Another tough game .. Blackpool Reading Bolton Lincoln away and now Wigan it’s a tough run and if we can get a point tonight we can be pleased with what we got out of it …

if we play 433 there has to be changes because we are to open in midfield and down the flanks , after Saturday drop Campbell and CBT ..

I would go 3511 … Hector Jones Ness full backs T Watson who considering had two men to mark on Saturday played very well .. Thomas if fit again suffered on Saturday because of what went on in front of him but if injured suppose it has to be Asiimwe althrough 4 mistakes already this season that cost us points is a worry 

3 in centre mid Dobson another who needs to start performing L Watson and Camara with May playing of Tedic

think we can get 1-1 draw … Wigan 3 straight wins , who knows but we need to be tighter in mid and not get overrun . 

Still very much on course top 6 defeat tonight won’t change that .. as we are more then capable as we proved of going on another run and to get in the pack around Jan with money to spend then move up the gears for the final months of the season . 

• It's odds on - and would be so typically Charlton - that both Dobson and May get booked tonight and so miss the trip to Portsmouth!
  • edited October 2023
    Dazzler21 said:
    Time for Tennai to prove he's better than Clare. 
    I've seen absolutely nothing so far to suggest that he is
    He hasn't directly cost us any goals to memory. 

He's also got 1 assist in 6 games. Clare has 0 in 14, and only 1 in 40 last season. 

I'm not sold on Tennai but Clare was not very good either. 
  • NabySarr said:
    *Copy and Paste for the third game running*

AMB
              L Watson Dobson
                        May
                     Leaburn

3-1 Loss however
    I think our problem is this kind of line up isn’t good enough defensively. It’s fine when you are at home to Exeter and Reading but in tougher games it gets exposed 

Yeah I agree, but, sadly we're not capable of defending against any half decent team so might as well try and put the old ball in the net at the other end and see if Appletons earlier formation/play will work against better teams, it wont, but will be more of a laugh watching that than Hector Ness TWatson Thomas and Jones getting pulled around for 90+ minutes.
  • edited October 2023
    Interesting to see how the NTT20 guys have massively climbed down in their assessment of our squad and chances since their assessment when the window shut. From having one of the best squads in the league, there's now apparently a clear gap in our ability to compete with the top sides. 

Hopefully their opinions are taken with a bigger pinch of salt in future 
  • edited October 2023
    Chunes said:
    Interesting to see how the NTT20 guys have massively climbed down in their assessment of our squad and chances since their assessment when the window shut. From having one of the best squads in the league, there's now apparently a clear gap in our ability to compete with the top sides. 

Hopefully their opinions are taken with a bigger pinch of salt in future 
    They are just like most football fans you will have a chat to in the pub before a game.

They give their opinions but they are not the expects
    some people make them out to be
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!