Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wigan Athletic Vs Charlton Athletic | Match Preview 31/10/23 | 19:45 Kick-Off

edited October 2023 in General Charlton

Welcome back to another match preview for tomorrow evenings fixture against Wigan. We have been quite homesick on the road and tomorrow probably comes at less than ideal timing, where our team appear to have hit their first tough patch under Appleton. Prior to Lincoln away and Bolton at home, Appleton's side had achieved 3 wins and 3 draws in the league, managing 14 goals and shipping just the 5 goals in that period. Our latest two fixtures have seen us suffer back to back defeats scoring a solitary goal and conceding 5 times that. The first away win of the season so far, has alluded Charlton Athletic and I imagine (hope) the players are looking to turn this around tomorrow and give us our first, much needed 3 points on the road.

The Opposition: Wigan Athletic, 'the Tics'. Wigan have had arguably one of the most difficult starts to life back in league 1, facing an automatic points deficit of -8 and having their own off field issues, it wouldn't have been too surprising to see Wigan enter freefall. However, that's not quite been the script and Wigan have more than managed their hangover and find themselves out of the relegation zone, and had they not been punished with a points deduction, flirting with the play-offs.  

Wigan managed to secure a home win to ten men Shrewsbury 2-0 last time out, Wigan undoubtedly aided by the 4th minute sending off the Salops captain and marshal at the back, Chey Dunkley. Here's how the Tics Lined up;

Sam Tickle

Sean Clare - Charlie Hughes - Liam Morrison

Steven Sessegnon - Baba Adeeko - Liam Shaw - Jordan Jones

Stephen Humphrys - Thelo Aasgaard - Martial Godo

Ex-Tics player; Shaun Maloney is the man at the helm of the side from Greater Manchester and isn't doing too shabby all things considered. The man in charge has achieved a modest, 12 wins, 11 draws and 12 losses with a team who were in tatters. Life back in league 1 hasn't been all doom and gloom so far, with a highlighted 4 nil win away from home to rivals Bolton and managing 3 wins on the spin in their most recent fixtures, Maloney may offer Wigan some much needed solidarity. 

All eyes tomorrow (other than our own side) will of course be on the two ex-addicks, Sean Clare and Steven Sessegnon. Both players receiving fairly mixed reviews from their new homes fans, but all the same seem to have nailed down starting spots down the right hand side of Wigan. I myself, am quite intrigued to see how Corey Blackett-Taylor fairs against his ex-colleagues where he will presumably start and be up against the pair. Other ex-addicks featuring who will likely occupy the bench, will be former shot stopper Ben Amos and past Charlton number 9, Josh Magennis. 

In regards to this tie historically, there's not much in it. Our first fixture only coming in 2005 where Charlton secured a 1-0 home victory. Since then, we have managed to beat Wigan a further 5 times over the years but also suffering 7 defeats and having to share the spoils on 3 separate occasions. Typically speaking, this fixture hasn't been too eventful, usually a modest score-line with Wigan usually passing us by for promotion in this league. I am not expecting much different tomorrow in terms of the score-line where I am expecting Appleton to stop the rot and set up a bit more defensively against a rather unpredictable Wigan team.

Charlton team news:

Charlton unfortunately suffered the blow of our league 1 'cheat code' sustaining a long term injury, Chuks Aneke recently and well, didn't we notice. We were physically dominated all over the pitch against Bolton in our last outing, in particular further forward up the pitch where we had our fantastic but on the small side striker, Alfie May up against 3 huge Bolton centre-backs. How we would have faired had Chuks been available we can only guess, but we will certainly miss his presence for these tough games on the road coming up. How we line-up against Wigan I suspect, will be more defensive than our last few outings. We have struggled to have a hold on the game in the most recent fixtures and have made a number of defensive errors which I would like to imagine Appleton has addressed. 

For me personally I would like to see Thomas and Hector rested and make way for Asiimwe and Ness. Both more than capable to make the step up based on recent outings and I believe the two formers may need a bit of a recharge. Preferably we would avoid the overload of attackers away from home and go back to basics. May leading the line with energetic, combating midfielders in  Louie Watson and Panutche Camara starting, Frasers last performances should see him be utilised as an impact sub in my honest opinion. As for the rest of the side, form and performances over the 14 last league fixtures almost allows the team to pick itself. Charlton  will be looking for a turnaround from their two standout performers in George Dobson & Corey Blackett-Taylor. The pair have been struggling to replicate early season form, I am hoping they can show more guile and get us back to winning ways where both players, are hugely influential and arguably our most important players. 

Predicted Line-up: 

Ashley Maynard-Brewer

Tennai Watson - Michael Hector - Lloyd Jones - Terell Thomas

Louie Watson - George Dobson - Panutche Camara

Miles Leaburn - Alfie May - Corey Blackett-Taylor.

Bench: Walker, Fraser, Asiimwe, Campbell, Ness, Tedic, Kirk

Score Prediction: 

Wigan 1 - 1 Charlton

Alfie May for ours, Sessegnon for theirs, with a Sean Clare assist of course.

Safe Travels to everyone making the dreaded journey and let's hope we can bounce back from two torrid displays of footie!

Comments

• Options
    Well done.
    A good preview (and optimistic score prediction).
  • Options
    What’s all this Tics lark?
  • Options

Easier to say than Latics init… Wigan fans started it and it’s spread
  • Options
    https://youtube.com/shorts/ySY3Z286H24?si=cfBspxxUBm_ceKcA

My inspiration 
  • Options
    Anxious about our defence, but replacing 2  defenders at once seems too much. Ness in Hector out,.... and everything crossed.
    Given T Thomas is likely to be targeted again, put someone who will be prepared to do some hard work defending in front of him for protection. Take your pick ,but bring on CBT 2nd half if there's something to play for.
    Pan C is essential if fit, quality passes between defenders for TC to run on to, this time he will assist or score.If we can get Pan to link up with Alfie then we'll be really motoring.
    Predict an improved performance and a  draw.
  • Options
    We need to set up a bit more defensively for this I think. It won't be easy, but I think we will get a draw; Predicting 2-2. Surely we can score against Mr Tickle!

I am not sure about playing Leaburn out wide. I would rather see a front two for this I think, with Leaburn playing closer to May, but perhaps that is how it will work out.
  • Options
    our wafer thin back 4 will once again let us down.

2-0
  • Options
    Clare and Sessegnon to score. Will be a tough game would probably be pleased with a point 
  • Options
    We need to set up a bit more defensively for this I think. It won't be easy, but I think we will get a draw; Predicting 2-2. Surely we can score against Mr Tickle!

I am not sure about playing Leaburn out wide. I would rather see a front two for this I think, with Leaburn playing closer to May, but perhaps that is how it will work out.
    I went with Leaburn out wide because as things stand, unless we play 442, there is no room for CBT and Leaburn.

I don't think CBT offers enough support to an already unnatural left back fill in, so I figured the extra centre mid away from home may do the trick. Allows us to switch it about in game and stick Leaburn further inside when we need the ball to stay up and Miles has the pace to be a problem out wide as well imo, I also can't help but notice all he's goals come from a right hand side run or being in that general right wing area rather than staying central.

Either way I think Appleton would be very naive to turn up at Wigan with two midfielders, we need to keep the ball more as the last two games we have struggled in that department imo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
                                Brewer
    T. watson    Jones.    Thomas/Ness. Asiimwe

L. Watson     Dobbo.  Camara

Fraser 

Leaburn.    May 

this is how I would like us to start. 
  • Options
    18 months ago I wrote a detailed glowing scouting report on a lad playing in Dartford U19's.  I was told he was "no better than we already have in the academy".  A few weeks later he joined Fulham's development squad, signed a pro contract this summer and went to Wigan on loan for the season.  He got their player of the month in September.  So I shall be watching Martial Godo with great interest tomorrow night.

I think Appleton has been on something if he thinks we can keep a clean sheet there.  Not only are they rather decent but our defending has been utter dog toffee all season.

0-2 for me but would be delighted if they could pull it out of the bag!.  Need to rely on Corey roasting Sean Clare and maybe picking up a card or two
  • Options
    Good preview.

Depressing that we’ll have Hector starting again but don’t think we have too much option. Thomas needs a break but, again, not sure what the alternative is. 

This squad has been weird and unbalanced from the start but it’s a massive issue now. 
  • Options
    Sums up our problems quite well at the moment. We want to have 3 central midfielders on the pitch but then if we play Appletons system it means we have to play May up front on his own and to get Leaburn in the team he has to play wide. 

We are crying out for 3-5-2 to solve both of those problems. If we continue with Appletons system though, I’d go with the 4-2-3-1 with May playing just off Leaburn. Maybe Camara could play on the right to add a bit more defensive ability than Campbell, who can return to his impact sub role 

• Options
    A must win.
  • Options
    Wise words Pauli, but unfortunately we've fallen apart, 2-0 to the warriors.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    A must win.
    Away from home against one of the stronger teams in the league?  I'd say it's more of a "must not get pumped"
  • Options
    Hard place to play a midweek winter fixture.
    Dowies downfall Nov 2006 was Wigan,
    Appleton does not face Dowies fate but 
    Charlton will ship goals 3-0 defeat.
    Anyone traveling up deserves a medal.
  • Options
    our wafer thin back 4 will once again let us down.

2-0
    It’s not the defence it’s the poor support in front of them .. they are left open time and time again sometimes with two on one .. … we need to bulk up the mid almost want to go 361 .. playing 433 leaves you open to being over crowded in mid and out numbered down the flanks especially if your playing CBT and Campbell who after Saturday both should be sitting watching the game on tv tomorrow night 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Swisdom said:
    seth plum said:
    A must win.
    Away from home against one of the stronger teams in the league?  I'd say it's more of a "must not get pumped"
    Agree. Draw would be a good result. As predicted when the window shut, this team isn't ready to compete at the top of the table. Results don't lie, table doesn't lie. Even a win tonight wouldn't paper over that fact.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    seth plum said:
    A must win.
    My aspiration is to try to get back on track for automatic promotion.
  • Options
    I decided not to travel to far for games anymore especially midweek 
    So I won't be going so it will be TV stream for me 
    Let's hope we turn up get back to winning ways & stop this bad run we have been on of late 
    Going for a good 2-1 win to the mighty 
    CAFC COYR  B)

• Options
    Talal said:
                                  AMB

Ness  Jones  Thomas
    T.Watson                                    Asiimwe 
                        Dobson  L.Watson 
                                Camara

Leaburn   May

As seems to have been the case for ages, no formation completely suits us but I'd probably go for this despite not really being a fan of wingbacks. 
    Talal said:
                                  AMB

Ness  Jones  Thomas
                        Dobson  L.Watson 
                                Camara

Leaburn   May

As seems to have been the case for ages, no formation completely suits us but I'd probably go for this despite not really being a fan of wingbacks. 
    Wingless wonders ! It ain't a bad call though, bring Blackett Taylor and Campbell on late when the game is stretched. I can only see one problem, 'Two bob Watson' he's shit !
  • Options
    Talal said:
                                  AMB

Ness  Jones  Thomas
                        Dobson  L.Watson 
                                Camara

Leaburn   May

Agree with Talal's team for this away fixture with CBT coming on as a sub if/when we go a goal down. 
  • Options
    Maynard-Brewer
    Asiimwe Hector Jones Thomas Blackett-Taylor
    Dobson L.Watson Camara 
    Leaburn May

Maynard-Brewer
    Asiimwe Hector Jones Thomas
    Dobson L.Watson
    Leaburn Camara Blackett-Taylor
    May

A 532 that turns into a 4231 without any changes to the lineup.

We need to be more defensively sound and I think the only way to do that is to play a slightly more defensive shape, and a more combative midfield 3
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Talal said:
                                  AMB

Ness  Jones  Thomas
                        Dobson  L.Watson 
                                Camara

Leaburn   May

Talal said:
                                  AMB

Ness  Jones  Thomas
                        Dobson  L.Watson 
                                Camara

Leaburn   May

Wingless wonders ! It ain't a bad call though, bring Blackett Taylor and Campbell on late when the game is stretched. I can only see one problem, 'Two bob Watson' he's shit !
    Not very exciting is it but I think the focus should be on trying to be more solid to begin with. Though whether that's possible with these defenders I'm not sure. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Swisdom said:
    seth plum said:
    A must win.
    My aspiration is to try to get back on track for automatic promotion.
    Whilst we sit 15th, 4 points above the drop zone.

Fucking deluded
  • Options
    3-1:to Wigan.
  • Options
    First half of Charlton failing to use the two wings and half-hearted attacks being stifled down the middle. Wigan go three up, capitalising on the massive gaps the indecisive wing play leaves the defenders having to cope with. MA waits until half time to make some changes but like the Bolton game it’s too late and not enough.