Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Bolton Wanderers : Saturday 28th October 2023 : KO 3:00 PM

The Addicks are back in town this Saturday, hosting Bolton Wanderers at The Valley...
A tough test after the farce that posed as a football match V Lincoln City on Tuesday,...as far as we were concerned that is, and one we need to forget ASAP, today we will need to be at it from the off...
Bolton come to us sitting comfortably in fourth place knowing that should they get an unlikely win, then second slot could be there's....
However, it ain't gonna happen is it......I said IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN IS IT...🙈🙉🙊

Top half beckons us and I am confident(ish) we shall achieve our goal come 5pm this afternoon...

So here we go COYRRFSR...

Panutche Camará will start for the first time since August in this afternoon’s clash with Bolton Wanderers at The Valley.

The midfielder is joined in the starting line-up by Tennai Watson as Michael Appleton makes two changes from the team that played Lincoln City in midweek. Nathan Asiimwe and Miles Leaburn move to the bench where they are joined by Charlie Kirk, who features in the squad for a league game for the first time since Appleton’s arrival.

It means the Addicks are likely to start in the 4-2-3-1 formation as used in recent weeks or a 4-3-3 formation.

Tennai Watson joins Michael Hector, Lloyd Jones and Terell Thomas in a back four in front of Ashley Maynard-Brewer.

Skipper George Dobson will be partnered by Scott Fraser and Camará in midfield, with one of Fraser or Camará likely playing in the number 10 role with Tyreece Campbell and Corey Blackett-Taylor either side of them and behind Alfie May.

Asiimwe, Leaburn and Kirk are joined on the bench by Sam Walker, Lucas Ness, Louie Watson and Slobodan Tedić.

Charlton: Maynard-Brewer; T.Watson, Hector, Jones, Thomas; Dobson (c), Fraser; T.Campbell, Camará, Blackett-Taylor; May

Subs: Walker, Asiimwe, Ness, L.Watson, Kirk, Leaburn, Tedić

Charlie Kirk on the bench...🤔

Comments

• Good looking team... May back leading the line.

Be interesting to see how it pans out, bit disappointed to see Fraser ahead of Louie Watson, then again I like them both, so cant win there
  • Might be a good idea to not have a big target man thing going on against Bolton.
    Save the switch and use if needed.
    Fraser had better prove his worth over Watson, and the other Watson prove his worth over Asimwe.
  • Kirk deserves a fair shake from the new manager 
  • Leuth said:
    Kirk deserves a fair shake from the new manager 
    Shake some commitment into him more like 
  • Its roll the dice time as Micky Apples joins the long list of managers who can't decide on neither team nor formation. 

This week its Watson (T) to go right back & neither Tedic nor Leaburn start as a front man. Presumably 5ft 8 Alfie May will battle up front on his own against 6ft 3 defenders. 
  • edited October 2023
    Leuth said:
    Imagine Appleton was unimpressed with Chem's defensive lapse for the third goal on Tuesday... He did say too ahead of Villa that Kirk had been unwell a few times since he took over, hence this being just his second appearance.
    Leuth said:
    Hopefully its a mixture of why we're seeing him... Chem hasn't impressed of late, whilst Kirk has hopefully impressed in training.
  • Leuth said:
    Did MA manage him at Blackpool?
  • Sorry but that team that has been picked,is by far better suited for an away match.
    We are at home , give me strength.
  • Leuth said:
    Did MA manage him at Blackpool?
    Nope... Took over the season after his loan
  • Sponsored links:

• Alfie back leading the line, because Santos as Bolton's CB is probably the best CB in the League?

Do we expect balls to feet today instead of lumping it to our central striker outnumbered up front? 

I scent a tweak of our game plan. 

• Its roll the dice time as Micky Apples joins the long list of managers who can't decide on neither team nor formation. 

This week its Watson (T) to go right back & neither Tedic nor Leaburn start as a front man. Presumably 5ft 8 Alfie May will battle up front on his own against 6ft 3 defenders. 
    Leaburn did shite against Santos last season.

The answer to beating height, is keep the ball out of the air - Whether it happens remains to be seen.
  • edited October 2023
    At least Chem Campbell tries to take people on and make things happen. Pretty much six subs with Kirk there. 
  • seth plum said:
    Might be a good idea to not have a big target man thing going on against Bolton.
    Save the switch and use if needed.
    Fraser had better prove his worth over Watson, and the other Watson prove his worth over Asimwe.
    Leaburn is not (yet) a big target man and should not be put in as sole striker.
  • Leuth said:
    One last chance (again) more like.
  • edited October 2023
    Leuth said:
    Its roll the dice time as Micky Apples joins the long list of managers who can't decide on neither team nor formation. 

If he'd stuck with the same side you'd have moaned about him not changing a losing side. You should try reading your own posts, you'll be in for a shock 
    Leuth said:
    Its roll the dice time as Micky Apples joins the long list of managers who can't decide on neither team nor formation. 

If he'd stuck with the same side you'd have moaned about him not changing a losing side. You should try reading your own posts, you'll be in for a shock 
    Golfie in constantly contradicting himself shock. 

To be honest I think against Bolton I would have potentially stuck with L.Watson because they are a very strong attacking side and his defensive attributes would potentially help.

Either way we’re playing Saturday/Tuesday and have no idea what goes on in training or how fit individuals are or what our game plan against this side are - so seems a bit pointless to complain about the managers decision off the back of one loss in 7. 

• edited October 2023
    Assuming Camara is playing as the 10 I like May going back upfront. Camara’s height, speed and general busyness should help him get the second balls we’ve missed all season 

Leaburn did shite against Santos last season.

The answer to beating height, is keep the ball out of the air - Whether it happens remains to be seen.
    Quite agree. Give the ball to CBT & Campbell & let them run with the ball. Then cross (on the floor) for May to tap in. Easy peasy. 
  • Was expecting to see Tedic or Leaburn up top but in Micky Apples we trust. Need Watson to show what he's about, been unimpressed since his debut cameo appearance. I'm sure Bolton will target Thomas, until we get sufficient left back cover it's going to be a constant issue if Edun is out.
  • Still waiting to see Tedic in his right position, feel he could work well in a two with Alfie, but we have still to see him at his best, rather than filling in on the right...
  • Sponsored links:

• Defence still looks incredibly weak. I fear the worst.
  • Sorry but that team that has been picked,is by far better suited for an away match.
    We are at home , give me strength.
    At home against Bolton. Who are better than us.
  • Leuth said:

If you tead what I posted on tuesday I said I quite liked the line up. I also said yesterday that I'd have Camara or Anderson in midfield so no problem with Apples there. It's that he''s now dropped a tall striker (previously had been 1 of Aneke, Leaburn or Tedic) and gone back to presumably May up front on his own where previously May had been playing deeper. 

Also it's the  defence that was the problem on Tuesday.....I see the major culprits are still in the team 🙄.
  • fenaddick said:
    Assuming Camara is playing as the 10 I like May going back upfront. Camara’s height, speed and general busyness should help him get the second balls we’ve missed all season 
    Part of this could be to give Camara as a 10 the 'free role' and there'll be times when his movement and running with the ball takes him ahead of Alfie. 

Coming from deep, he shouldn't be easily picked up and can open up gaps and penetrate beyond the Bolton back line? 

• Did Curbs just say that the team travelled to Lincoln on the day?! Very poor decision if true.
  • Leuth said:

If you tead what I posted on tuesday I said I quite liked the line up. I also said yesterday that I'd have Camara or Anderson in midfield so no problem with Apples there. It's that he''s now dropped a tall striker (previously had been 1 of Aneke, Leaburn or Tedic) and gone back to presumably May up front on his own where previously May had been playing deeper. 

Also it's the  defence that was the problem on Tuesday.....I see the major culprits are still in the team 🙄.
    Golfie: Micky Apples has joined the long list of managers who can’t decide on a formation or team. 

Also Golfie: I would have changed the defence and midfield. 
  • eh, Fraser over Watson, double eh, Kirk on the bench over Chem

That is all.
  • Bolton have been a bogey team for us since they were promoted. 

This is the midfield I've been looking forward to since the summer. It's a shame it's taken until the last week of October to see it from the start. 

We'll see how Alfie does up front on his own. But with the way Bolton play we needed to be stronger in the midfield. 
  • Good looking team... May back leading the line.

Be interesting to see how it pans out, bit disappointed to see Fraser ahead of Louie Watson, then again I like them both, so cant win there
    Fraser ahead of Watson is a baffling decision against a strong team 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!