Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lincoln City v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 24th October 2023 - 19:45 | Match Preview

Comments

• 0-3 to the mighty Charlton! 
  • RC_CAFC said:
    As a side note, I think the fact our wingers have scored a couple of screamers in the last couple of games will help us score more goals as teams will be trying to block that down and allow May and Leaburn a bit more space.
    With the threat of CBT and TC on the two wings and Chuks/Leaburn and May down a wide middle teams will have to sit back or get punished. That opens it up nicely for our midfield to dink balls over their opponents back line and create mayhem. When you score for fun, you keep scoring no matter what 
    Plus sitting back against CBT or TC puts you at a massive disadvantage if they're running at you full speed

• Real test for the Addicks and a chance to put down a marker that we are a side who could reach the top 6. Win this and we really can look forward to Bolron on Saturday. Lincoln have such a tight defenxe this could be tricky, honours evwn 1-1.
  • Feels like a good result today and at the weekend could prove to be a massive springboard. If we could get 7 points this week (including the Reading win) then that shows we really mean business
  • Heavy rain expected today - would hope, for the sake of all those travelling, that if it's postponed it's called off early.
  • edited October 2023
    Valley11 said:
    Surprised the game is on…why? Is the forecast bad? 
    BBC: Light rain upto about 6pm and then dry for the match. There is a lot of flood water in parts of lincoln, may find parking difficult in streets although some car parks should be OK
  • Heavy rain expected today - would hope, for the sake of all those travelling, that if it's postponed it's called off early.
    Met Office forecast refers

• Not the worst looking forecast. 
  • Sponsored links:

• mendonca said:
    3-1-1 is their home record
    0-2-2 is our away record

Maybe we pack the midfield more and aim to keep the game tight, then attack in numbers. Or continue what we have been doing of late.

Have we scored from a set piece this season? Directly or indirectly?

Yes.

Some penalties ;)

• We should continue to play as we are. It is working and the team appear to be gelling well. 

You don't see Teams like Man City adapting heavily for the opposition, they play their game that works for them. They might change tiny bits like X gets back as a 4th/5th defender. Y pushes forward to support attack, but the base formation and base tasks largely remain the same. 
  • edited October 2023
    I'm off to this one. Let's hope for a better performance and result than last time I went to Lincoln. That was under Adkins, and it was woeful.
  • Tough game, don't think a point would be a bad result. 1-1 but we miss a late pen 
  • A big Thank You to those making the journey to tonight's match and so hope that you are not travelling in vain  due to the conditions. 

We're dog sitting ( again!) for family so unable to join you this time but will be kicking every ball as we watch the stream with our eldest grandson.....and making said pooch bark every time we ( well, Fanny...) scream our encouragement.

Please bring back 3 more points, lads & lasses. That would be a huge vote of confidence as the Trotters plan their foray south at the weekend.

Onwards & upwards with Mickey Apples !!!
  • I think we were lucky to keep a clean sheet against Reading and I don't think we will be able to repeat that feat tonight. Are our flair players going to be up for a cold and soggy night in Lincoln? I am not so sure. I think we have enough to get a win, but I don't think we will. Predicting a very hard fought 1-1 draw.
  • I'd use Wrexham are more of a realistic template than Man City!
  • You do know that Lincoln is not inside the Arctic circle and that our players are probably not hoping for sightseeing and fine dining opportunities?
  • I think we have reached a point where we will know one way or another how our season will pan out. 
    If we only pick up say one point from our next two games then we  will continue to be treading water in this league. 
    Should we beat Lincoln and Bolton then the confidence throughout the entire club from players to supporters could see us go from strength to strength. 
    We shall have our answer shortly. 

I'll go with the latter.
    We have had a 'new manager bounce' with Appleton, there is a long way to go and should we go the next ten games having only lost one then we'll be in the play-off positions at worse.
  • edited October 2023
    Swisdom said:
    As a team they have Reeco Hackett - once of this parish - and he'll no doubt have a point to prove.  They also have Tyler Walker who hasn't matched his previous spectacular spell at Lincoln but is a threat.

Hackett injured a hamstring at Fleetwood on Saturday and will be missing. Walker hasn't matched his previous spell at Lincoln because he has been injured since August and is not expected back until December. Fellow centre forward Ben House has also been injured since August and is not due back until February. That is why they do not score many goals.

However, Lincoln are very strong at the back and have the third best defensive record in League One despite having played only five games at home and seven away; Sheffield United failed to score against them at Bramall Lane and even West Ham only scored when the ball hit Soucek in the knackers and went over the line. They have conceded 15 goals in 17 games in all competitions this season despite 10 of those games being away from home. At home, they have conceded 3 in 7 games - one from Soucek's testicles against West Ham and an embarrassing own goal by Burroughs against Burton accounting for two of them; only Carlisle have scored what may be termed a legitimate goal. They are a tough side to break down.
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:
    A win at Lincoln City will flatten out the away points requirement of a point per game.
    That would leave the eight points dropped at home against Bristol Rovers, Port Vale and Blackpool to be clawed back.
    It means winning at home every game and winning four away games and drawing the rest...or the equivalent.
    In the pre match interview with Michael Appleton today he seems to say the same, win at home and draw away. Which in the matches he has been in charge of means we are two points (Blackpool at home) behind his own ideal aspiration.
    If we win against Lincoln City away, and then at home to Bolton Wanderers, then a win at Wigan next Tuesday will level up Appletons own aspiration.
    That would leave six points to make up and if we can do that quickly then we're properly mounting a climb up the league table.
    The cup game following would then provide a little bit of breathing space before regrouping for the league campaign.
    We ought to have enough resources to win against Cray Valley whatever players are available.
    Especially if they can form a workers’ soviet and gain team strength through collective support. 
  • I'm getting to confident about Charlton so it's well overdue a complete meltdown. Simple 0-5 win for the addicks. May 3, Leaburn 1, CBT 1
  • Call me crazy, but I think we win this one with ease, 3-1.

And being an American Charlton fan for several years now, that is rare for me to say haha.
  • Any news or signs of a pitch inspection? It’s absolutely lashing down up here.
  • Swisdom said:
    As a team they have Reeco Hackett - once of this parish - and he'll no doubt have a point to prove.  They also have Tyler Walker who hasn't matched his previous spectacular spell at Lincoln but is a threat.

Hackett injured a hamstring at Fleetwood on Saturday and will be missing. 
    Wot, no Reeeeco Henry-Lovechild ........ ?

He was nailed on to score. 

• Swisdom said:
    Surprisingly big game tonight.  It's the sort of game that IF we can win it we send a bit of a statement to the rest of the division "We aren't here to fuck about this season"

a draw says "we are in the mix for the play-offs"
    a defeat says "meh!, maybe not consistent enough"

But if we pick up two wins this week and continue to score 2+ per game then I'm smashing the champagne on HMS piss the league :-)

They tend to be happy to let their opponent have more of the ball than they do and hope to break on the counter attack so we'll need to be alert to that and they are rather big and strong all round so we can expect a physical game.

head says 1-1 or 2-2 but heart says we nick it 1-2 with an impact sub doing the damage

I read somewhere that Recco Hackett is having a scan for some sort of muscle tear and won't be risked unless its cleared up
  • Tough game again. 

Form says we should be winning comfortably but will made to work hard for it! 

Think it will be 1-0/ 2-1 Charlton 
  • seth plum said:
    A win at Lincoln City will flatten out the away points requirement of a point per game.
    That would leave the eight points dropped at home against Bristol Rovers, Port Vale and Blackpool to be clawed back.
    It means winning at home every game and winning four away games and drawing the rest...or the equivalent.
    In the pre match interview with Michael Appleton today he seems to say the same, win at home and draw away. Which in the matches he has been in charge of means we are two points (Blackpool at home) behind his own ideal aspiration.
    If we win against Lincoln City away, and then at home to Bolton Wanderers, then a win at Wigan next Tuesday will level up Appletons own aspiration.
    That would leave six points to make up and if we can do that quickly then we're properly mounting a climb up the league table.
    The cup game following would then provide a little bit of breathing space before regrouping for the league campaign.
    We ought to have enough resources to win against Cray Valley whatever players are available.
    Hate to piss on your chips but this is Charlton we are talking about. I would be happy with 6 points from the coming 4 league games.
    We have been on agood run since Appleton was put in charge it can’t last we all know that.
  • I think most on here agree that league one this season is far weaker than in previous years. 
    Yet every game we play people say it's a tough game. 
    If we can't beat the likes of Lincoln City we must be crap 
  • An away win right now would be massive for us, and I reckon we'll do it. The way we're playing at the moment suggests that we'll score at least one goal, but are also likely to concede.

I'll go for 1-2.