Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lincoln City v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 24th October 2023 - 19:45 | Match Preview

Lincoln City v Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 24th October 2023 - Kick-Off: 19:45

Referee
Daniel Middleton - Never officiated a Charlton game before. The man in the middle has spent much of his refereeing career at National League level until this season.

Introduction
Life at The Valley under Appleton is great. 17 goals in 5 games in all competitions at home under the new manager, 4 wins and a draw. The football, albeit mainly in the second half, is good and attacking, it's threatening and opponents at this level don't usually have enough to deal with that kind of threat. Aneke got off the mark which was so important for him, and the team, and that set us on our way to a resounding victory. We have yet to really been able to assess our quality on the road. Only 4 away games so far makes it challenging but the players will be desperate to get that first away win on the board as they travel up to Lincolnshire where we play Lincoln City.

Opposition
Stadium: Sincil Bank Stadium
Manager: Caretaker
Nickname(s): The Imps
Previous result: A 0-1 win away at Fleetwood Town. Their line up was:
Jensen
O'Connor - Jackson - Mitchell
Sorensen - Hamilton - Erhahon - Burroughs
Smith
Bishop - Hackett-Fairchild

With Lincoln recently sacking Mark Kennedy after a run of 1 win in 7 in the league, they followed up with an away win at lowly Fleetwood. However, the CEO at Lincoln has since come out and said that results were not the reason for Kennedy's sacking, Instead, it's been cited that his style of play, development of players, and speaking out, in public, against current players was enough for the board to part ways with him. However, I personally don't think he was any good anyway and his record as a manager is average, at best. He's also ex Millwall and Palace so must be a bit of a wrong'un!

I won't pretend to know much about Lincoln, their strengths and weaknesses, or much about their players either. To be fair, the longer we are in this league, the less enthusiasm I've got to do the analysis on opposition. Most teams now play very similarly with many adopting a back 3 or 5, whichever way you want to look at it. The recent success of promotion playing that way by Rotherham, Ipswich, Plymouth, and Sheffield Wednesday means managers will aim to copy. Appleton though has gone differently and could be a reason of our success.

I do know though about Hackett-Fairchild, Sorensen, and a player who hasn't played much at all this season but Appleton will know well, Timothy Eyoma. The former, and ex-Charlton academy graduate signed for Lincoln in the summer following a fairly uninspiring spell at Pompey. The left footed forward can glide across the pitch but I have seen little in recent years to tell me that he's going to be a threat at this level. Recco though will know Thomas having made his Saint Lucia bow this year. Sorensen is a player who feels like he has been at Lincoln for years. Signed in the summer of 2021 after a successful loan spell at Milton Keynes, the right-wing back has shown to be a good player at this level. Whether he will be able to handle Blackett-Taylor is going to be a key battle throughout. It might also require CBT doing a bit of defensive work too as Sorensen is decent going forward, scoring twice in the league already this season. The latter of the list, Eyoma, is a centre back who was signed from Tottenham after a successful loan with the Imps. Although not playing much at all this season, he's a strong young defender who would love the battle with Leaburn up top.

Charlton Team News
Last time out I wrote about our xG and how it had us in 5th but our goals against was the downfall. Well, this time we are in 3rd for xG and although the stat has its flaws, it's worth analysing every so often as usually those with a higher xG are likely to perform more consistently throughout the season. The only two with a better xG for are Peterborough (who always score goals) and Portsmouth, who are top. It's a good indicator that if we continue to create the quality of chances we do, we have the players at the top end of the pitch to put the ball in the net. All sounds a bit obvious, but the clean sheet the weekend was vital. Especially going away just 3 days later.

Aneke got off the mark for the season, and it was a huge relief for all. Chuks had worked so hard to get himself back and playing at the level he has since. It was a heart sinking moment when he went down and we know he won't be available for the game tomorrow evening, but we can only hope that it's a minor injury that he'll be back in no time. So that means Leaburn will start up top and Tedic will likely drop to the bench with Tyreece Campbell starting, and deservedly so after a fantastic 45 minutes which was topped off with a wonderful goal.

Personally, I would like to see Asiimwe start ahead of Watson as I don't think we have seen enough from the right back to convince us that he's the better option. However, with keeping a clean sheet, it might be too dangerous for Appleton to make that change when he has been relatively consistent in the back four of late. I wouldn't be surprised to see Fraser come in for Louie Watson, with the quick turnaround, fresh legs in the middle of the park might just be what is needed and he was singled out, along Dobson, for praise of putting his body on the line on Saturday. Chem Campbell to come in to the squad for Aneke. The rest as is.

Maynard-Brewer
Asiimwe - Hector - Jones - Thomas
Dobson - Fraser
T.Campbell - May - Blackett-Taylor
Leaburn

Walker, T.Watson, Ness, L.Watson, Camara, C.Campbell, Tedic

Lincoln City 0-2 Charlton Athletic
May
Blackett-Taylor

Comments

• Great preview as always Sage, and like your lineup...
    Really think Apples looks upon TC as an impact sub though, and will probably stick with the Tedic on the right, but whatever formation he uses, we will be too strong on the night and feel we will win by two clear goals, and a clean sheet would be nice, but not imperative...  
  • shirty5 said:
    Tomorrow will not be easy, they’ve lost only 3 of 28 home league matches over past 2 seasons 
    Their form last season was heavily based on being extremely difficult to score against, 17 goals conceded at home.

They also had Diamond on loan, who was very good, but is now back at Sunderland. House done well too but has been out for a little while this season. They had eight 0-0 draws last season. They're not a side who will ever score many.

It's going to be tough, I agree, and we really need a win away from home. With the attack we have, I think we'll get all 3 points.
  • I reckon it's got score draw written all over it but I am hopeful of a 2-1 win.

Look forward to it 
  • The worst scenario for me would be Leaburn directly replacing Aneke and Tedic remaining on the right. Leaburn can go missing when he starts as the target man and Tedic is of no use whatsoever on the right.
    There are various permutations that involve Tedic, Leaburn and Campbell across the 2 positions but none should involve Tedic on the right, it is like playing with 10 men!
  • DWDWDW… Draw 1-1 Leaburn the scorer - was half tempted to predict 2-1 but we are Charlton, we know it rarely lands as we believe it should. If we do win, takes a bit of pressure off that Bolton game. Looking forward to it and dry in the evening after heavy rain in the day according to the forecasts. Safe travels fellow Addicks!
  • When is Tayo edun back? I reckon 2-1 Lincoln - they are out of form and lacking goals so should score 2 against us.
  • Sponsored links:

• 0-0 - Extends the Appleton unbeaten run by one more game. 

Will be cheering on via Valley Pass. 
  • A hungry Fraser is quite an exciting prospect in midfield.
  • Back to back league wins is long overdue and I'm backing us to do it
  • Looked at the Lincoln fans forum "The Stacey West". The players rating there (not sure if this is one game or a running average)  are high for all the defenders(7-7.6 ) with Alex Mitchell rating the best.Apparently on season-long loan from Millwall, but I checked and he's not related to Zak and Billy (according to Wiki). Standout in the ratings is Ethan Hamilton (no.11) with 8.5 rating, box to box  midfielder , 6ft 2" left footer who was ex Man Utd academy. Came from A.Stanley, but earlier had spells with Rochdale Bolton Southend. 3 relegations and one promotion in all those clubs. The forwards are all rating in the 6's+ so don't look to be especially threatening, famous last words.
    I have pointed out over a number of posts that Lincoln had a sound defence last season, and that doesn't seem to have changed that much this season. No heavy defeats......
  • edited October 2023
    I see this as a away game that would have tripped us up last season. They will prioritise stopping us and get bodies behind the ball? The question is, will it trip us up now? The two away games under Appleton have not been as good as the home games but I suspect the team has moved forwards since then.
  • Hope I'm wrong but I can see the Appleton unbeaten run going this week - losing 1-0 at Lincoln and 2-1 to Bolton.
  • Need to win this.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2023
    Like to get at least 4 points from next 2 games.
  • NabySarr said:
    I wouldn’t take Louie Watson out of the team, he’s better than Fraser is defensively and was subbed off probably with this game in mind. Fraser will have to stay patient for now I think 
    I disagree, I think Fraser is better defensively in terms of stepping into passing lanes and he's better at keeping the ball and moving it up the pitch which is important away from home.

I think Watson has a great workrate, but he's clearly better further up the pitch and playing him in one of the two holding roles means he's goes missing at times. He puts a shift in, but it's not his best role.

I mean we're spoiled for choice, and that's before we have Camara fully fit. But I think we're better overall with Fraser in the side, even if I think he (and LWatson) perform better in a midfield three.

• Sort of game we need to win if we want top six but they’re level on points with us and have home advantage. Conceded less goals than us but scored fewer. Not much in it looking at the stats. They’ll fancy it and it’s a tough evening game in probably shitty conditions. Won’t be easy. 
  • If you are heading for Lincoln tomorrow evening, please read the following press release from the club regarding the flooding that has affected the area around LNER Stadium:

https://www.weareimps.com/news/2023/october/matchday-guide-charlton/
  • If you are heading for Lincoln tomorrow evening, please read the following press release from the club regarding the flooding that has affected the area around LNER Stadium:

https://www.weareimps.com/news/2023/october/matchday-guide-charlton/
    With further prolonged periods of rain tomorrow 
  • SDAddick said:
    NabySarr said:
    I wouldn’t take Louie Watson out of the team, he’s better than Fraser is defensively and was subbed off probably with this game in mind. Fraser will have to stay patient for now I think 
    I disagree, I think Fraser is better defensively in terms of stepping into passing lanes and he's better at keeping the ball and moving it up the pitch which is important away from home.

I think Watson has a great workrate, but he's clearly better further up the pitch and playing him in one of the two holding roles means he's goes missing at times. He puts a shift in, but it's not his best role.

I mean we're spoiled for choice, and that's before we have Camara fully fit. But I think we're better overall with Fraser in the side, even if I think he (and LWatson) perform better in a midfield three.

Fraser is better on the ball but I do worry about his mobility playing in a 2. I think with the attacking 4 players we have ahead of them it needs to be Watson or Camara starting in that role in most away or tricky games as otherwise Dobson is going to be left with too much to do 

We could have played Fraser there against Reading with no issues but I just don’t see it working in tougher games
  • the unbeaten run goes on .. Lincoln could be in a state of flux following their manager's sacking .. as ever, we will see
  • A very important game for us. Get 3 points and it takes a bit of pressure off for Saturday, lose and Saturday becomes a must win which will be a tough ask against Bolton who always seem to put in a great performance against us