Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lincoln City v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 24th October 2023 - 19:45 | Match Preview

Comments

• edited October 2023
    1-2 win but with both teams down to 8 men each, card happy ref loses the plot after Alfie calls him a wrongun.
  • If you are heading for Lincoln tomorrow evening, please read the following press release from the club regarding the flooding that has affected the area around LNER Stadium:

https://www.weareimps.com/news/2023/october/matchday-guide-charlton/
    Think the teamsheet thing is a great idea.
  • Confidence is growing and the boys are looking good, score first and a win will follow, 0-2.
  • If you are heading for Lincoln tomorrow evening, please read the following press release from the club regarding the flooding that has affected the area around LNER Stadium:

https://www.weareimps.com/news/2023/october/matchday-guide-charlton/
    Think the teamsheet thing is a great idea.
    The teamsheet has taken the place of the match programme, which was discontinued at the end of last season. With most people getting their news digitally nowadays, sales had fallen to 250 per game and lost the club £30,000 in 2022-23 alone. A shame in many ways but also a sign of the times.
  • I wouldn’t be leaving L Watson out .  Really clever player and brilliant on the half term .  If Fraser comes back in, and I wouldn’t do that, it’s not for him
  • I know it's stating the bloody obvious but ot just goes to show how important Aneke being fit is.

One of the key drivers over the last few games has been the pace and the power that we have brought off the bench.

The obvious thing is to start Leaburn and Tupac in place of Aneke and Tedic.  I don't think we can afford, even if we wanted to to start both Leaburn and Tedic.

If Watson can only play 60-70 minutes do we want to risk starting either Fraser or Camara as well?

I understand the idea that you start your best players/team then take them off when the game is won, but I don't think we are good enough to control a game to that extent, especially away from home, yet.

The first Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday-Tuesday has come at a really bad time for us.  Just when we had got a tried and tested formula.
  • A win at Lincoln City will flatten out the away points requirement of a point per game.
    That would leave the eight points dropped at home against Bristol Rovers, Port Vale and Blackpool to be clawed back.
    It means winning at home every game and winning four away games and drawing the rest...or the equivalent.
    In the pre match interview with Michael Appleton today he seems to say the same, win at home and draw away. Which in the matches he has been in charge of means we are two points (Blackpool at home) behind his own ideal aspiration.
    If we win against Lincoln City away, and then at home to Bolton Wanderers, then a win at Wigan next Tuesday will level up Appletons own aspiration.
    That would leave six points to make up and if we can do that quickly then we're properly mounting a climb up the league table.
    The cup game following would then provide a little bit of breathing space before regrouping for the league campaign.
    We ought to have enough resources to win against Cray Valley whatever players are available.
  • I think we’d all be happy with 4 points from the next 2 games. Realistically, I think if we were to do that, tomorrow is the best chance for the 3 points.

Think Campbell, Asiimwe and Fraser will come in to the side and Leaburn will take over down the middle.

I thought AMB was looking a little crocked at the end of the last game, seemed to be moving quite gingerly. so wouldn’t be surprised to see a debut for our new keeper.

I think if we perform at our best, we’re too good for them. 0-2 to Charlton.
  • edited October 2023
    I think we could see a return to the bench for Edun (he is back in full training) he will be like a new signing if we can get him starting ASAP. Be quite shocked if the game is on but it's a real test. 0-1 Charlton, late May goal. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Surprised the game is on…why? Is the forecast bad? 
  • Will it be possible to watch on Charlton TV from the UK?
  • Will it be possible to watch on Charlton TV from the UK?
    Yes, can do with all midweek matches.
  • Valley11 said:
    Surprised the game is on…why? Is the forecast bad? 
    You not been watching the news over the weekend ?  Been a bit of rain "up north" with more due early morning. Wouldn't surprise me if this is called off.

Lincoln has not been a happy hunting ground for us of late & I'm predicting a first defeat for Mr Apples.

2-0 and the home side come away with an impish grin. 
  • I think we have reached a point where we will know one way or another how our season will pan out. 
    If we only pick up say one point from our next two games then we  will continue to be treading water in this league. 
    Should we beat Lincoln and Bolton then the confidence throughout the entire club from players to supporters could see us go from strength to strength. 
    We shall have our answer shortly. 
  • Start Leaburn with C. Campbell on the right for that "different" wide player option, keep T. Campbell and Asiimwe for the second half injection thats been working so well recently and Tedic as a second half striking option. Despite that, think it will be a tough, turgid away game with only the one goal.

0-1

wouldnt be surprised to see a bore draw, 0-0 though. 

• edited October 2023
    From what we are seeing now, I don't think we can say we are performing so well as to mean we won't get beaten sometimes, but we are performing well enough to make the top six. We don't have to win tonight but it will help and we have to acknowledge that it is a long season. It is still early days and I'm not ruling out Appleton getting us to a point where we don't look like we will be beaten. But injuries can have a say in all that too.

I look at Stevenage and Shrewsbury and feel we could easily have lost those games so there is room for improvement away from home in the same way as we have seen improvement at home. We have only had 2 away games under Appleton so in that respect we need to give it time. Yes, if we win all our home games we only need to average a point away to be averaging 2 points per game but we need to win our fair share of away games to take the pressure off at the Valley and indeed as Seth has alluded to, to recover from where we have already dropped points at home. I disagree that it all has to happen now though. We do have a bit of time to get it right.

In some ways, it should be easier away from home as you have to make more of the running at home but I think it is well known as a tactic how you stop us especially as we have been good at letting in soft goals. Which is always ensuring you pack your box and have bodies behind the ball. It has become a regular tactic for sides to do that in away games and I expect Lincoln to employ it tonight. But that is stopping the toothless Charlton. Stats are suggesting we may not be the same side anymore.
  • Both level on points but the way our results have been going got to fancy us taking all 3 tonight 
    Not going myself but good on those heading up there it's a long old trip for a midweek game 
    Going for a good 3-1 win 
    For the mighty CAFC
     COYR  B)
  • 3-1-1 is their home record
    0-2-2 is our away record

Maybe we pack the midfield more and aim to keep the game tight, then attack in numbers. Or continue what we have been doing of late.

Have we scored from a set piece this season? Directly or indirectly?
  • Sponsored links:

• Plan A should be trying to keep it tight and let the front 4 do their thing on the break. Not entirely convinced our defence is capable of holding down its end of the bargain but I doubt many teams will stop us scoring either. 1-2.
  • CAFC69 said:
    The worst scenario for me would be Leaburn directly replacing Aneke and Tedic remaining on the right. Leaburn can go missing when he starts as the target man and Tedic is of no use whatsoever on the right.
    There are various permutations that involve Tedic, Leaburn and Campbell across the 2 positions but none should involve Tedic on the right, it is like playing with 10 men!
    I agree. It would be better to play Tedic in the middle. Leaburn is more effective when his back is not to the goal. He is also not yet strong enough to deal with central defenders at his back , in the way Aneke is.
  • From what we are seeing now, I don't think we can say we are performing so well as to mean we won't get beaten sometimes, but we are performing well enough to make the top six. We don't have to win tonight but it will help and we have to acknowledge that it is a long season. It is still early days and I'm not ruling out Appleton getting us to a point where we don't look like we will be beaten. But injuries can have a say in all that too.

I look at Stevenage and Shrewsbury and feel we could easily have lost those games so there is room for improvement away from home in the same way as we have seen improvement at home. We have only had 2 away games under Appleton so in that respect we need to give it time. Yes, if we win all our home games we only need to average a point away to be averaging 2 points per game but we need to win our fair share of away games to take the pressure off at the Valley and indeed as Seth has alluded to, to recover from where we have already dropped points at home. I disagree that it all has to happen now though. We do have a bit of time to get it right.

In some ways, it should be easier away from home as you have to make more of the running at home but I think it is well known as a tactic how you stop us especially as we have been good at letting in soft goals. Which is always ensuring you pack your box and have bodies behind the ball. It has become a regular tactic for sides to do that in away games and I expect Lincoln to employ it tonight. But that is stopping the toothless Charlton. Stats are suggesting we may not be the same side anymore.
    Looking forward to seeing the necessary skill, movement, "football intelligence" to unlock a packed defence.
  • If those Lincoln imps are green we might get a first away win and win consecutive games, but those two monkeys won't loosen their grip if we don't start well. I fear they'll cling on a while yet, so it's another scrappy draw for me.  1-1. 
  • 1-3 good away win.
  • mendonca said:
    3-1-1 is their home record
    0-2-2 is our away record

Maybe we pack the midfield more and aim to keep the game tight, then attack in numbers. Or continue what we have been doing of late.

Have we scored from a set piece this season? Directly or indirectly?
    I honestly think home/away record a little redundant in this one. We are a lot better a team than our two defeats earlier in the season already and under a different manager while Lincoln have also changed their manager since their last home game. 

For me, this is a good team for us to come up against at the moment as they’re not too strong offensively so our fledgling back line can hopefully keep building momentum in keeping the ball out and our attack is hopefully good enough to break down their quite miserly defence with their pace.
  • As a side note, I think the fact our wingers have scored a couple of screamers in the last couple of games will help us score more goals as teams will be trying to block that down and allow May and Leaburn a bit more space.
  • Agree @RC_CAFC. Much has changed since our record. We have found some structure and also seen some senior pros return. Holden walked into games with hope more than specific execution. 
  • RC_CAFC said:
    As a side note, I think the fact our wingers have scored a couple of screamers in the last couple of games will help us score more goals as teams will be trying to block that down and allow May and Leaburn a bit more space.
    With the threat of CBT and TC on the two wings and Chuks/Leaburn and May down a wide middle teams will have to sit back or get punished. That opens it up nicely for our midfield to dink balls over their opponents back line and create mayhem. When you score for fun, you keep scoring no matter what