Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Grand National 2024

Comments

• edited April 11
    5m 51s (31 secs slow of std).
    Certainly looked hard work and time is definitely proper Soft and stamina sapping but it's not quite as slow as I would have expected if there were a lot of heavy places.
  • Just seen the 4.05 race.

Seemed to be over all the usual GN fences. Saturday has lost a bit of sparkle to me now.

It's like the semi-finals being played at Wembley or a normal PGA Tour event being listed at Augusta. 

Some things are sacred imo.

(And I realise that there are probably many races over the GN course every year.....but still not the same)

Seemed to be over all the usual GN fences. Saturday has lost a bit of sparkle to me now.

It's like the semi-finals being played at Wembley or a normal PGA Tour event being listed at Augusta. 

(And I realise that there are probably many races over the GN course every year.....but still not the same)
    It’s been like this for years now. 
  • edited April 11
    10 of the 22 (45%) in the Foxhunters finished with winning time 5m 51s
    Last year on GS 17 of the 27 (63%) finished.

FWIW, the last occasions it was run on officially Soft:
    • 2005 which clocked virtually the same time as today (bigger fences then of course) and had 14 of the 30 (47%) runners finish
    • 2011 when12 of 22 (55%) finished in 5m 37s
    • 2016 when 8 of 22 (36%) finished in 5m 48s
    • 2018 when 11 of 21 (52%) finished in 5m 49s
    • 2019 when 12 of 27 (44%) finished in 5m 46s
    Time and finishers definitely more consistent with proper Soft ground than the official Heavy (Soft places)

Jeez, The Foxhunters' Chase started in 1947.
  • Nassalam and Roi Mage e/w for me at the moment. Great to pick up this thread for the first time today. Wondering where you get the time @PeanutsMolloy?!!!
    I've won the ITV placepot on 365 today. Still waiting for dividend, but not bad anyway as an after thought. Had to get placed in 7 races rather than 6; just a shame too many favourites came placed. 
  • Nassalam and Roi Mage e/w for me at the moment. Great to pick up this thread for the first time today. Wondering where you get the time @PeanutsMolloy?!!!
    I've won the ITV placepot on 365 today. Still waiting for dividend, but not bad anyway as an after thought. Had to get placed in 7 races rather than 6; just a shame too many favourites came placed. 
    Nice one @Addickted2U
    Glad you find the thread worth a read.
    It is a bit of a mad hobby - beats model railways I guess but don't half piss off Mrs M   :smiley:
  • edited April 11
  • Playing at the UK's premier pop culture buzzer quiz on Saturday and they've run a sweepstake. Drawn Mr Incredible so if he wins I cop an extra 130 quid on top of my outlay on him already! Not too shabby. 

Have otherwise followed Peanuts because I think it's foolish not to!
  • Sponsored links:

• PaddyP17 said:
    Playing at the UK's premier pop culture buzzer quiz on Saturday and they've run a sweepstake. Drawn Mr Incredible so if he wins I cop an extra 130 quid on top of my outlay on him already! Not too shabby. 

The proof the old proverbial pudding ……
    Cheers @PaddyP17
    Best of luck.

• 49/1 for ITV placepot. Not bad for a quid and 6 out of 7 favs placed. 
  • PaddyP17 said:
    Playing at the UK's premier pop culture buzzer quiz on Saturday and they've run a sweepstake. Drawn Mr Incredible so if he wins I cop an extra 130 quid on top of my outlay on him already! Not too shabby. 

I have no idea what these means !

what happened to being on Pointless paddy? Did I miss it ? 
  • MrOneLung said:
    PaddyP17 said:

I have no idea what these means !

what happened to being on Pointless paddy? Did I miss it ? 
    Will know a couple weeks before it airs mate.

The buzzer quiz is like University Challenge - four people a team, with buzzing in - but on film and TV, pop music, sport, lifestyle, food and drink etc. A couple of world champions, Mastermind champions, a couple of Chasers, Millionaire six figure winners etc will be on the varying teams.

Got better odds beating em in the sweepstake than a quiz haha
  • small stakes today as ground could knacker everything. 

but gone with 

1.45 il etait temps - 1st 3/1 
    2.20 kalif du berlais - lost 
    2.55 corbetts cross - lost 
    3.30 bob olinger - should of won but we cant upset willie mullins, cheating cnut 
    4.05 cap du mathun ew - lost 
            captain tommy ew - lost 
    4.40 dancing on my own ew
            path d'roux ew - place 
    5.15 diva luna - 1st 13/2 
    Will take that for day 1 
  • edited April 11
    My 4 e/w picks for tomorrow. Saw Densworth win at Donny, quite impressive so might have a single bet on him. 

• Racing Post reports:

“After riding in the opening race Harry Cobden described the ground as "pretty soft", while Harry Skelton called it "lovely jumping ground" and Gavin Sheehan said it was "soft but dead as it's drying out". 

After winning the only race of the day on the National course on Its On The Line, O'Connor said: "It's very dead. My lad is a sweet-mover but he was finding it tough, but eventually his class prevailed. It'll take some getting on Saturday."

Sean O'Connor, second on Bennys King, said: "It's getting a bit tacky."

Time analysis: plenty of stamina needed in National 

Analysing the time of the first race, Racing Post raceday editor Ron Wood said: "The pace was not overly taxing in the opener but the time was not bad either. The winner was home from the third-last in about 47 seconds  for a final time of 5min 13.47sec. That suggests soft ground and not much worse on the Mildmay Chase course.

"It was about two and a half seconds faster overall than the same race in 2018, when conditions were officially given as good to soft but changed to soft during the afternoon."

After the Foxhunters' Chase on the National course, Wood said: "It was officially the slowest running of the race since 2001, the year of Red Marauder's Grand National when the ground was barely raceable. Even so, conditions were nothing like as desperate this time around.”

• edited April 12

This morning's Going map update from Aintree suggests the going is now:

Mildmay & Hurdles: Soft all round
    National: Mix of Soft & Heavy (heavy has receded to be the long stretch either side of Canal Turn (Bechers 6th~12th fence) - that's about 1/3 of the course / none in the home straight).

GoingStick reading yesterday for National Course was "3.2 at 10.30am". That's a Heavy ground reading but there's no way the ground for the Foxhunters was predominantly Heavy. It was stamina-sapping yes, becoming tacky as reported by the jockies, but the time and number of finishers was much more consistent with proper Soft, maybe some limited heavy places.

Understandable that Skelton described it as "lovely jumping ground" - he's on Galia after all.

Forecast today is dry but near 100% cloud cover for much of the day.
    Saturday maybe getting interesting: both BBC and Accuweather forecasting potential showers in the afternoon.  
  • I fed all the information I had on all the horses (number, form, jockey, trainer, weight, etc) into ChatGPT and asked it to come up with a winner and four placed horses.  Here's what it said... 

"Based on the information provided, here's how I would predict the outcome of the Grand National:

1. Corach Rambler - With a strong record in previous Cheltenham Festivals and a win in last year's Grand National, Corach Rambler has the experience and ability to perform well in this race. Despite a challenging run in the Cheltenham Gold Cup, he's still considered well in and could repeat his success.

2. I Am Maximus - Showing promising form with wins at Fairyhouse, I Am Maximus looks well handicapped and could be a strong contender for a place.

3. Vanillier - Despite being more workmanlike over fences, Vanillier has shown good form in previous Grand Nationals and could produce a solid performance again.

4. Meetingofthewaters - With a smooth win at Leopardstown and a good third at Cheltenham, Meetingofthewaters has potential if he can settle well enough over the fences.

5. Mr Incredible - Placed in major handicaps and with proven ability on heavy ground, Mr Incredible could be in the mix if he can overcome any starting concerns.

These predictions are based on the provided information, but as with any horse race, there are many variables and uncertainties that could affect the outcome". 

• My picks for today at Aintree -:

14.55 - Gerri Colombe 2/1
    15.30 - Bob Olinger 9/4
    16.05 - Its On the Line 4/1
    16.40 - Heltenham 8/1

Done as doubles and a 4 four fold.

Not a bad start Heltenham let me down, but got 2 winners and a place with the other 3.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 12
    Chizz said:
    I fed all the information I had on all the horses (number, form, jockey, trainer, weight, etc) into ChatGPT and asked it to come up with a winner and four placed horses.  Here's what it said... 

"Based on the information provided, here's how I would predict the outcome of the Grand National:

1. Corach Rambler - With a strong record in previous Cheltenham Festivals and a win in last year's Grand National, Corach Rambler has the experience and ability to perform well in this race. Despite a challenging run in the Cheltenham Gold Cup, he's still considered well in and could repeat his success.

2. I Am Maximus - Showing promising form with wins at Fairyhouse, I Am Maximus looks well handicapped and could be a strong contender for a place.

3. Vanillier - Despite being more workmanlike over fences, Vanillier has shown good form in previous Grand Nationals and could produce a solid performance again.

4. Meetingofthewaters - With a smooth win at Leopardstown and a good third at Cheltenham, Meetingofthewaters has potential if he can settle well enough over the fences.

5. Mr Incredible - Placed in major handicaps and with proven ability on heavy ground, Mr Incredible could be in the mix if he can overcome any starting concerns.

These predictions are based on the provided information, but as with any horse race, there are many variables and uncertainties that could affect the outcome". 

Amazing how it managed to pick out the top five in the market and in that order too. If only a normal human being could do that then we wouldn't need Peanuts to actually find the winner! Equally, those five weren't all in the top five a couple of months ago (and why getting 33/1 on a winner such as Mr Incredible is the difference between long term success and failure) but ChatGPT probably would have come up with those that were at the time. It's basically "skimmed" a bookie's prices and then given a write up to justify the selections!
  • edited April 12
  • Fascinating first race today. Think I'll plump for Chianti Classico. Might put up other fancies later on
  • Chizz said:
    I fed all the information I had on all the horses (number, form, jockey, trainer, weight, etc) into ChatGPT and asked it to come up with a winner and four placed horses.  Here's what it said... 

I tried this and it suggested Tiger Roll.  maybe not the best solution :-:smile:
  • Is everyone getting this?

• .Addick Addict said:
    Chizz said:

Amazing how it managed to pick out the top five in the market and in that order too. If only a normal human being could do that then we wouldn't need Peanuts to actually find the winner! Equally, those five weren't all in the top five a couple of months ago (and why getting 33/1 on a winner such as Mr Incredible is the difference between long term success and failure) but ChatGPT probably would have come up with those that were at the time. It's basically "skimmed" a bookie's prices and then given a write up to justify the selections!
    I am, in fact, just like AI according to Mrs M.
    An annoying idiot.
  • day 2 

1.45 chianti classico 
    2.20 theatre man 
            sonigino ew
    2.55 firefox 
    3.30 jonbon 
    4.05 lifeinthepark 
            ciel de nege ew
            edgar wallace ew
    4.40 dancing city 
    5.15 densworth 
  • I’m at Aintree today for Ladies day and the GN tomorrow. Lots of horse racing folk staying at the hotel last night and tried to hear some decent gossip but nothing too solid.
    As for my bets today (likely to change after a few beers) are-
    1.45 Chianti Classico
    2.20 Inthewatrrside e/w
    2.55 Mystical power
    3.30 Jonbon
    4.05 Kandoo kid e/w
    4.40 Dancing City e/w & Pinot Rouge e/w
    5.15 Afadil e/w
  • Is everyone getting this?

Yep - Oddschecker already gets payments from bookies but now want to charge punters for the service! ATR does a similar thing and actually provides more information but doesn't have the comparison vehicle.