Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

John Robinson selling play off final shirt

Comments

• Options
    It’s a fairly recent phenomenon that footballers are rich and stay rich.
    Most of those who played in our early prem days still have to hold down a job to pay the bills.
    Whilst it’s very sad he has to part with things we, as fans, think are beyond value. I completely understand why he chooses to.

C’est la vie.
    It must be so hard watching footballers from that era sit back and watch the money thrown at the absolute shite playing in league one. 
    Agreed.
    And probably why Brownie is so hard on them on comms.
    I don’t blame him one bit tbh.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Off_it said:
    Does anyone know how much he wants for each shirt, or have a ball park idea of what the going rate would be?
    Wouldn't even like to guess what the play off shirt is worth but the other would usually go for around £150 on classic football shirts. 
  • Options
    Does the museum have the funds to buy it? If not could we not have a Charlton Life whip round? I'd rather see it in the museum for all to enjoy.
    We  have three shirts  from that PO Final. Mendonca's , Brown's (both on loan) and a signed no.18 which we assume was a spare.

We'd love to have another but we have to balance what we spend on what funds/income we have.

Agree with AFKA that players often see these items in a different way to fans.

But regardless it is his to do with as he wishes.

We're contacting him to offer help with valuation.
  • Options
    Robbo is a Charlton legend. 
  • Options
    Does the museum have the funds to buy it? If not could we not have a Charlton Life whip round? I'd rather see it in the museum for all to enjoy.
    We  have three shirts  from that PO Final. Mendonca's , Brown's (both on loan) and a signed no.18 which we assume was a spare.

We'd love to have another but we have to balance what we spend on what funds/income we have.

Agree with AFKA that players often see these items in a different way to fans.

But regardless it is his to do with as he wishes.

We're contacting him to offer help with valuation.
    3 seems a decent number of playoff shirts, I imagine there a shirts from other important games which would add more to the "Charlton story".

Players do a accumulate a lot of memorabilia, with all the shirt swapping. I imagine Robbo has some decent ones from his Welsh career.
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Seems quite sad that he's selling something so memorable, both to him, his teammates and fans alike.

Obviously I don't know the reason but I hope its not to make a fast buck as IMHO it devalues the whole experience.
    Bizarre 
    It’s bizarre that you should think it so? Do you not hold sentiment and memory as a value?
    It’s bizarre you’d suggest the possibility of there being anything untoward in his decision to sell what must be very important items. 
    I don’t think I’ve said anything of the kind, I said, I obviously I don’t know the reason.

It’s amazing how some can turn everything into an argument, seeing things that are not there?

That Play Off final holds much emotional sentiment for me and I cherish the fact that I was there to witness one of the best games of football that involved our club and I’m ever likely to see, how often can we say that? 

I’ve still got a lot of memorabilia of that day and wouldn’t throw it out, the sentiment is important to me but clearly not others it seems.

Even though the players may not of been boyhood Charlton fans I would have thought the game would have emotional sentiment for them too but perhaps not.
    'Fast buck' is pretty shitty tbh. The saddest part is its not substantial money either.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    Seems quite sad that he's selling something so memorable, both to him, his teammates and fans alike.

Obviously I don't know the reason but I hope its not to make a fast buck as IMHO it devalues the whole experience.
    Bizarre 
    It’s bizarre that you should think it so? Do you not hold sentiment and memory as a value?
    It’s bizarre you’d suggest the possibility of there being anything untoward in his decision to sell what must be very important items. 
    I don’t think I’ve said anything of the kind, I said, I obviously I don’t know the reason.

It’s amazing how some can turn everything into an argument, seeing things that are not there?

That Play Off final holds much emotional sentiment for me and I cherish the fact that I was there to witness one of the best games of football that involved our club and I’m ever likely to see, how often can we say that? 

I’ve still got a lot of memorabilia of that day and wouldn’t throw it out, the sentiment is important to me but clearly not others it seems.

Even though the players may not of been boyhood Charlton fans I would have thought the game would have emotional sentiment for them too but perhaps not.
    'Fast buck' is pretty shitty tbh. The saddest part is its not substantial money either.
    Oh please get off yer high horse and do one.
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:

Bizarre 

Why can't you just admit you made a shitty comment and you "do one". Fool.
  • Options
    No idea what he would be looking at for it, but Id potentially be interested in the play-off one
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:

Bizarre 

Goes without saying that you have to join in, that's you all over. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:

Bizarre 

Goes without saying that you have to join in, that's you all over. 
    If you say so mate. I was already involved in the thread, but if you say so. (*smiles and laughs)
  • Options
    I don’t know if it’s because too many people have responded to this but his account is currently not accepting messages from those who are not friends, and it doesn’t seem possible to make a friend request. 
  • Options
    Much appreciated mate
  • Options
    I would love to have a bid on it. The hardest working player I can remember in a Charlton shirt.
    Would £300 touch the sides?
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    I would love to have a bid on it. The hardest working player I can remember in a Charlton shirt.
    no
  • Options
    So is Michael Gray.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    R0TW said:
    no
    So what would? Mr font of all knowledge?
  • Options
    Let's put it this way, Leaburn's shirt from the draw against Stevenage went for £307. This is from what many call the greatest game in the club's history. 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    R0TW said:
    R0TW said:
    no
    Ok, if you're going to be like that forget I said anything 
    That really isn’t a helpful response. 

State a ballpark.  

I suspect most of us don’t have a clue what sums are being discussed. 

• Options
    R0TW said:
    R0TW said:
    no

State a ballpark.  

No thanks 
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    R0TW said:
    no

State a ballpark.  

No thanks 
    Why forever not? Wasn’t the original post about generating interest in the shirts?
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    R0TW said:
    no

State a ballpark.  

No thanks 
    Why forever not? Wasn’t the original post about generating interest in the shirts?
    How's he supposed to know?  Depends on how much John Robinson might sell for, and how much a buyer is willing to pay.

ROTW asked if £300 would get close, Henry and Talal have said no.  

Bizarre the things people bicker about.  If you're potentially interested and maybe want to know a price, go on the Facebook message or get hold of Dubai like he's offered on the first page?
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    R0TW said:
    R0TW said:
    no

State a ballpark.  

No thanks 
    How's he supposed to know?  Depends on how much John Robinson might sell for, and how much a buyer is willing to pay.

Bizarre the things people bicker about.  If you're potentially interested and maybe want to know a price, go on the Facebook message or get hold of Dubai like he's offered on the first page?
    Maybe I misunderstood but the earlier post suggested @henryirving did have a view on the sums. 

Moreover as I said I simply don’t know. 

My guess would be relatively modest sums as I doubt it’s a desired item to all but Charlton fans. 
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    R0TW said:
    no

State a ballpark.  

No thanks 

No it's not!
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    No idea what he would be looking at for it, but Id potentially be interested in the play-off one
    Pure guesswork but I imagine 2k gets it.