Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Blackpool | Saturday 7th October 2023 - 3pm KO | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2023
    I have my ticket, so it will be my first appearance at The Valley since last season's unimpressive draw with Cambridge. Hope I don't jinx it, so I won't attempt to predict the result.
  • Options
    That'll be us then. Looking forward to this as always. A few beers in Maze Hill first.
    Expect 600-700 Seasiders including 150+ doing a boat trip from Westminster to Greenwich. 
    As for the game, Critch plays players on the wrong side of the pitch, insists on sideways and backwards passing only with the occasional lump forward, don't expect a classic.
    Appleton will get quite some stick.
    Enjoy the game all, UTMP.
    Where in Maze Hill?
  • Options
    I have my ticket, so it will be my first appearance at The Valley since last season's unimpressive draw with Cambridge. Hope I don't jinx it, so I won't attempt to predict the result.
    My first game of the season too after other half's bypass surgery led to cancellation of trip for start of season. She's so selfish.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    No wins in Charlton’s last 5 home league games v Blackpool 
    About time we beat them, then!  :)

• Options
    Never did like Blackpool
    3.1 Charlton. 
    Onwards and upwards. 
    Haha .... I share your pain.

I was there too that legendary day we were trashed 5-0 at Bloomfield Road and sank limply into the Third Division.  :/  
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Oggy Red said:
    Never did like Blackpool
    3.1 Charlton. 
    Onwards and upwards. 

I was there too that legendary day we were trashed 5-0 at Bloomfield Road and sank limply into the Third Division.  :/  
    I was there when Harriot, after disappointing all season got a hattrick in a dead rubber just before they went out of business. If I remember Fanny deafened me for the whole match from 5 rows back. Blackpool 0 Charlton 3. Their fans were decent sorts and we had a lot in common given shit ownership.
  • Options

Few posts from the Blackpool forums 😂
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Never did like Blackpool
    3.1 Charlton. 
    Onwards and upwards. 

I was there when Harriot, after disappointing all season got a hattrick in a dead rubber just before they went out of business. If I remember Fanny deafened me for the whole match from 5 rows back. Blackpool 0 Charlton 3. Their fans were decent sorts and we had a lot in common given shit ownership.
    Sorry, pardon ? 

Could NOT have been me. I am renowned for my dulcet tones.  :D
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Never did like Blackpool
    3.1 Charlton. 
    Onwards and upwards. 

Sorry, pardon ? 

And leaving unfinished bottles of wine hidden in the bushes to collect after the match.  ;)
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Never did like Blackpool
    3.1 Charlton. 
    Onwards and upwards. 

Sorry, pardon ? 

And leaving unfinished bottles of wine hidden in the bushes to collect after the match.  ;)
    Beginning to think my card's marked now ! 

BTW, Mr F says that was at Fleetwood. 
  • Options
    Is it common for Charlton and Millwall to both be at home on the same day?
  • Options
    1-3 Albie Morgan hattrick. 
  • Options
    The Blackpool lights are flickering in the distance. The first two times I watched Blackpool play in London the points went North with 2-0 victory at The Bridge and The Valley.. Jordan Rhodes to strong for our back four and the points go North once again 0-2.
  • Options
    It was scary playing four forward types v. Exeter with Tedič, Chuks, May and CBT all starting. Scary defensively. I don’t think that would be a good idea v. Blackpool. 
    I’d rest Chuks for Leaburn, and play Chem C instead of Tedič (who I rate). I’d ask Miles & May to interchange positions a bit more to keep Blackpool on their toes. 
    Hopefully Watson (T) will have been working on his heading. 
  • Options
    Hopefully we can stick with the same team as Tuesday with the only change (if needed) is Leaburn for Chuks and one of the Campbell's coming in for Tedic. 

It will be my first home game since Pearce's one & only home match and I'm banking on another home win. 

3-1. And I'm a believer. 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    I wouldn’t risk Fraser from the off. He’s been out a while and hasn’t looked physically sharp, understandably, in his two recent cameos.

Tricky game to call but going for a win to break our W,D,W,D,W sequence.

• Options
    Valley11 said:
    I wouldn’t risk Fraser from the off. He’s been out a while and hasn’t looked physically sharp, understandably, in his two recent cameos.

Tricky game to call but going for a win to break our W,D,W,D,W sequence.

Same team for me , bar Leaburn for Aneke and possibly one of the Campbells for Tedic
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cannot see anything but a very routine home win. Our scoring continuing so I will plump for 5-0 to the Addicks.  Blackpool are ok but no where near our quality.
  • Options
    if we can get the first....we can forge ahead
    if they score first- bit trickier
  • Options
    Think this one is going to be a lot closer and far more frustrating.

Blackpool out of possession are usually difficult to break down and they’ll know we can pass it around our defence all we like, it’s getting it through the pitch that can sometimes be an issue.

Expect Blackpool to sit deeper to restrict the space May and Blackett-Taylor have in behind. It means we are going to have to be patient and have good movement with clever openings through the midfield. Watson, and Fraser when he plays, will be so important to this.

They'll also be quick on transition with CJ Hamilton and Rhodes, they have a threat up top. It’ll be interesting to see how Thomas fares defensively against CJ Hamilton.

I don’t think we’re likely to see Morgan unless he comes on. Blackpool fans haven’t been too impressed and they’re seeing the Albie we saw regularly. Has talent but is a squad and luxury player who goes missing and doesn’t do the midfield job very well.

With Aneke feeling fit and us not having a league game for a couple of weeks after tomorrow, it wouldn’t surprise me to see him start. However, it could be a risk too soon and Leaburn is likely to come in for him.

Charlton Athletic 2-1 Blackpool
    May and Jones for us (first set-piece goal of the season)
    Rhodes for the tangerines
  • Options
    We're improving exponentially, no doubt.
    More resilient, much more threatening in attack, with a real goal threat.
    The belief is there now that if we go a goal behind we aren't resigned to defeat or if we are struggling a goal can change the dynamic.
    The worry is the defence, which is still a work in progress.
    If we give somebody like Jordan Rhodes the time and space in and around the box that we have been guilty of this season then we will be punished.
    I can see this being a 3-2 or a 2-3, which should guarantee a 0-0
  • Options
    Saw Blackpool play a couple of times last season. Their heads dropped quickly when going behind. With their recent results, I feel if we score first we will win. Despite our defensive disorganisation.
    2-1
  • Options
    Form guide since Apples took over

Those figures for Pompey look interesting. For a team that’s got form for starting like they have this season and choking, conceding 5 goals in 4 games against weaker opposition looks like a warning sign they are getting ready to choke again, hopefully.
  • Options
    Form guide since Apples took over

Take out Burton, and I am pretty sure you have the top 7 come the end of the season in that top 8. 
  • Options
    Winning back to back games is the next psychological hurdle to overcome. Haven't the faintest idea what to expect, but hope we will. I'll go for a scrappy 1-1 for no reason at all.