Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Blackpool | Saturday 7th October 2023 - 3pm KO | Match Preview

Charlton Athletic vs Blackpool
Saturday 7th October 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Andy Davies

Introduction
Well we can ask for more than what we're getting in terms of results under Michael Appleton, but at the same time... We cant... We've averaged two points per game since the legendary meme became reality nearly a month ago. We look more organised, and we're slowly marching up the League table - There is of course a long way to go, but results like the 4-1 victory over Exeter City on Tuesday night, will only create more confidence around Sparrows Lane and we'll hopefully see further improvement this coming Saturday.

The Opposition
Name: Blackpool (13th) | Manager: Neil Critchley
Ground: Bloomfield Road
Previous League Result: Blackpool 1-3 Derby County

So the next visitors to South East London are... Blackpool

We of course haven't faced the Tangerines for the last two season, what with them being in the Championship, but it will of course be a reunion of sorts amongst both squads - Michael Appleton started the last campaign in charge at the Lancashire side, having replaced Neil Critchley (the man who got them promoted from League One in the first place), he only lasted until January, with Blackpool's relegation confirmed at the hands of Millwall at the end of April.

Neil Critchley has returned to the club, replacing Mick McCarthy in the Blackpool hot seat, and will be aiming for a repeat of the 2020-21 season, when they won the Play-Off Final against... You guessed it... Michael Appleton's; Lincoln City - They've had a steady start to this season, however three draws, and three defeats leave them just a point ahead of the Addicks going into this fixture - The main threat from Blackpool will come from Jordan Rhodes, the Striker, back at this level for the first time since 2011-12, is rolling back the years, and has five goals in his six appearances whilst on loan from Huddersfield Town.

Of course I cant not mention Albie Morgan who'll be making his first return to Charlton, since departing in the summer - The Academy Midfielder had a bright start at his new club, but has only started once in the last five games. He was an unused substitute against Derby, so could well come into the side, given their poor result on Tuesday night.

Charlton Team News
Many a Charlton fan winced the other night when they saw that Chuks Aneke would be starting against Exeter City, only the second time its happened in 2023, and first since February - However the Striker, appeared to survive the test, playing 68-minutes and surely exceeding any fan expectations... You'd expect him to return to the bench as a result for this particular game... Miles Leaburn the obvious replacement in what could see a similar line-up to Tuesday.

Elsewhere and we saw a promising Midfield partnership between Louie Watson and George Dobson, so could well continue to see that this Saturday afternoon - Scott Fraser earned further minutes against Exeter and will no doubt be pushing for first start since the opening day of the season... For now though... Who do you remove from the starting line up?

Maynard-Brewer
T.Watson - Hector - Jones - Thomas
Fraser - Dobson - L.Watson
Leaburn - May - Blackett-Taylor

Substitutes Bench: Molyneux - Ness - Asiimwe - C.Campbell - T.Campbell - Aneke - Tedic

Comments

• Options
    The winning run goes on .. our team's confidence must be sky high for a change, it's great to see
  • Options
    Yes, a must win.
  • Options
    I expect a tough game here as Blackpool despite their last result are no mugs and Im sure they will be looking for a response. If we can get the 3 points we are well on the way to a good season 
  • Options
    If we win on Saturday I believe it will be the first time we have achieved back to back wins for ages.

• Options
    No wins in Charlton’s last 5 home league games v Blackpool 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    If we win on Saturday I believe it will be the first time we have achieved back to back wins for ages.

Morecambe and Cambridge away back in March 
  • Options
    On the train up for this, pie and mash and a weekend of £8 pints...
  • Options
    Regulation 4-0 win, alright maybe a bit optimistic, but why not, we are on the up!!
  • Options
    I think that would be my starting eleven too. We seem to be on a bit of decent form and should win, but I have a feeling it will be a draw. Please don't let Albie Morgan score against us. That would be the ultimate humiliation, win lose or draw.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would rather set up the same way as Tuesday with May as the 10, but behind Leaburn with Aneke returning to the bench. 

Leaburn needs to be playing through the middle, not out wide. Tuesday night should be how we set up now, with Leaburn and Aneke doing 60-30 each game rotating and Tedic or a Campbell on the right wing 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Tedious game as Blackpool shut up shop and we pass around trying to find a gap but Hector's headed goal from Watson's corner in the 42nd minute is enough for all three points.
  • Options
    Tricky but more goals, 3-2 and momentum starts to build.
  • Options
    Be a tough game for sure. 

1-0 win Charlton. Aneke finally get his goal!!
  • Options
    Can't make it due to work. But think we will be a tough one. Think we will win mind. 1-0. May again.
  • Options
    Reckon this might be the day we keep a clean sheet. 2-0
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Reckon this might be the day we keep a clean sheet. 2-0
    If you had said we could score 8 goals I might have agreed with you but suggesting we’d keep a clean sheet is just fantasy…
  • Options
    2-1 Blackpool not to be underestimated at all, but as long as we did not pick up any knocks on Tuesday night, we suddenly have a lot of threat going forward (hallelujah) and I think that will pay off come 5pm.
  • Options
    Also start with Leaburn please and give Aneke 25 minutes at the end.
    Otherwise he will break down again 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    our defence will let us down
    1-1
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Also start with Leaburn please and give Aneke 25 minutes at the end.
    Otherwise he will break down again 
    I think that role he played the other night is less likely to cause him to injure himself. Previously he was basically being asked to act both as target man and in a free role that May now has. A big guy like Chuks will always put too much pressure on joints by moving around like that and the sudden changes  in direction that come with it. Where it wasn’t working so much in the first half in Tuesday was Dobson was too far back a lot of the time because he was having to play the Scott Parker role of filling the gaps in the defence instead of playmaking from a pressing midfield position. With a match fit Fraser that will actually work a lot better and Chuks will thrive a lot more with balls played direct to his feet.
  • Options
    0-9

Well it worked Tuesday night!
  • Options
    I would play the same team that just won 4-1 personally.

If Blackpool line up the same way they did in midweek CBT and Tedic could really pin Dale and Hamilton back and nullify their attacking threat.
  • Options
    4-2 Charlton. Probably keep the same 11 from Saturday as we don’t have another league match until 21st.

If we continue to set up like we did on Saturday think we will be involved in plenty of high scoring matches throughout the season.

• Options
    4-2 Charlton. Probably keep the same 11 from Saturday as we don’t have another league match until 21st.

If we continue to set up like we did on Saturday think we will be involved in plenty of high scoring matches throughout the season.

I think that’s the right approach with this squad, Appleton probably wants more control but we can’t defend and we’ve got 4 good strikers. Might as well play to our strengths and just back ourselves to out-score opponents because we’ve got better strikers 
  • Options
    3 wins and 2 losses in their last 5, got an away win against Barnsley which is fairly impressive. 

Expecting a tough game as they have some really decent players. CJ Hamilton, Jordan Rhodes, Ollie Norburn, James Husband and Owen Dale to name a few. Had a look at their last couple of line-ups and they've had Pennington and Ekpiteta on the bench which surprises me as they are decent centre backs, can only assume whoever is keeping them on the bench are good players also. 

Not sure on the result, I'll go 2-1 Charlton, Leaburn both goals 
  • Options
    I reckon 3-3.  Do we stick to the May 10 set-up? If so, Tedic needs to start too. If not, then Fraser can come in and we can go 4-3-3. Dobson had a slight niggle from half-time on Tuesday (top of his thigh), so won't be surprised if he is a doubt? Hopefully he's fine though. COYA!