Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The 2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup

Comments

• Options
    India are going to rip us apart
  • Options
    Complete joke of side
  • Options
    85-5

Livingstone lbw for 1
  • Options
    85/5

Livingstone out. 
  • Options
    Embarrassing 
  • Options
    Utter disgrace. 
  • Options
    Feels like the classic one tournament too many for the same squad. Would be ditching most of this squad and starting over after this. 
  • Options
    Poetic justice as far as I'm concerned 
  • Options
    I get there are a hundred and one reasons what we didn't give ourselves a decent chance of winning this world cup but none of them explain this.

10 of those out there today are world cup winners, 6 of them have won two.  The last two.  

They look like they wouldn't beat a club side.

We thrashed New Zeland 6 weeks ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I get there are a hundred and one reasons what we didn't give ourselves a decent chance of winning this world cup but none of them explain this.

10 of those out there today are world cup winners, 6 of them have won two.  The last two.  

I've been saying all tournament that something isn't right within the squad. 
    I have no proof or anything but the body language of some of our players has not been good to say the least. 
    I agree something's off.  Very strange.
  • Options
    If only there was a Hundred World Cup. Or, here’s an original idea - play one-dayers only in August.
  • Options
    If only there was a Hundred World Cup. Or, here’s an original idea - play one-dayers only in August.
    You don't get that bad just from not playing 50 over cricket. There is something else at play here .............
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

We drew that series 2-2 and we were on home soil too. These are totally different conditions.

Those players don't have to fight to get into the England team. There was no selection process as such or meaningful opportunities for others to stake a claim. An average of 5 ODIs in the last year as opposed to India's 15 per player. It was all based on historical performances. Even Root complained about not having enough ODIs but when you're not around for most of them you are only compounding the problem.

And guess how we've rewarded these players. By giving the likes of Bairstow a two year central contract. Once he is dropped we will have to bring in someone who isn't on one and who should have every right to feel hard done by given that he is replacing a player on £700,000  a year for not even playing.

That said, we've had little or the wrong gameplan. I've pointed out time and again how the better teams have preserved their wickets for the last 10 overs or so. It is absolutely hopeless trying to play Bazball and then ending up being all out in 25 overs. "Going hard" from the start only works on roads and we've played at five different grounds. One size really doesnt fit all and if you don't give yourself time to assess the wicket you are asking to be thrashed in four out of five games.

We have got what we deserved and I fear that our players knew they were out as early as before the last game. Four dead rubbers to play now but no doubt we will learn from those mistakes and people will shout "if only".

• Options
    156 is the lowest bat first total of this World Cup to date. It is also the lowest *ever* score made in ODIs on that particular ground.
  • Options
    Pathetic load of shit!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

We drew that series 2-2 and we were on home soil too. These are totally different conditions.

Those players don't have to fight to get into the England team. There was no selection process as such or meaningful opportunities for others to stake a claim. An average of 5 ODIs in the last year as opposed to India's 15 per player. It was all based on historical performances. Even Root complained about not having enough ODIs but when you're not around for most of them you are only compounding the problem.

And guess how we've rewarded these players. By giving the likes of Bairstow a two year central contract. Once he is dropped we will have to bring in someone who isn't on one and who should have every right to feel hard done by given that he is replacing a player on £700,000  a year for not even playing.

That said, we've had little or the wrong gameplan. I've pointed out time and again how the better teams have preserved their wickets for the last 10 overs or so. It is absolutely hopeless trying to play Bazball and then ending up being all out in 25 overs. "Going hard" from the start only works on roads and we've played at five different grounds. One size really doesnt fit all and if you don't give yourself time to assess the wicket you are asking to be thrashed in four out of five games.

We have got what we deserved and I fear that our players knew they were out as early as before the last game. Four dead rubbers to play now but no doubt we will learn from those mistakes and people will shout "if only".

We won the series 3-1 winning the last 3 games by a combined 360 runs.

Yes different conditions but it's not like this is the first time any of our players have set foot in India.  New Zeland had pretty much the same preparation as us, did they spend all August playing domestic 50 over cricket?

There are loads of reasons the long term health of our 50 over team is in doubt. 

There are zero excuses for these performances.
  • Options
    Has to be more to it than just the Hundred?

No doubt there will be a root and branch enquiry but something clearly wrong with the whole set up and members within it.
  • Options
    I will be very very interested to see what squad goes to the Windies for the white ball series. I expect we could see a few retirements after this debacle and possibly a side that's closer to the one that played in the Ireland series? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We've very quickly turned into an absolute embarrassment of a side.

Probably only the West Indies (who didn't even qualify) who are in a worse place than us right now.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    I will be very very interested to see what squad goes to the Windies for the white ball series. I expect we could see a few retirements after this debacle and possibly a side that's closer to the one that played in the Ireland series? 
    A lot of the team look like they retired a few weeks ago. 
  • Options
    Well the good news is that qualification for the next World Cup is based on overall rankings not on where we finish in the table. So there's no risk that we go into the final match needing to win to avoid facing qualifiers against Denmark to get to the next one. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Yes different conditions but it's not like this is the first time any of our players have set foot in India.  New Zeland had pretty much the same preparation as us, did they spend all August playing domestic 50 over cricket?

There are loads of reasons the long term health of our 50 over team is in doubt. 

NZ players have taken part, on average, in 20 ODIs in the previous 12 months as opposed to our 5. That is a 15 innings difference - and not just from the perspective of finding form and understanding the nuances of 50 over cricket but also as a guide to squad selection. We played 83 ODIs in the four year run to the 2019 WC. This time we played 42 with many of this squad unavailable for one reason or another. The Metro Bank was an alternative way of preparation that was utlised by England players in 2019 when it was The Royal Insurance. We shunned that too. And to say NZ didn't play in the Metro Bank is a wrong comparison for two reasons - one because NZ batsmen had batted on average that 15 extra times but the other is that I've never heard of a country not giving themselves the best chance to win a WC. It's like saying that we have the best facilities but let's go and train at some village club to level the playing field against some of the lesser countries who do not enjoy the quality of our facilities! And those England players did play in the Royal in 2019. If it was good enough then, it should have been good enough now.

Anyway, let's compare England's top six career in ODIs, in England and in India and then against the likes of NZ and SA in India:

England in England:

Malan           69.00
    Bairstow       49.94
    Root             46.37
    Stokes          45.50
    Buttler          42.83
    Livingstone   33.63

Total            287.30 

England in India:

Malan           47.66
    Bairstow       34.69
    Root             47.00
    Stokes          43.28
    Buttler          14.83
    Livingstone   18.80

Total             206.26

NZ in India:

Conway         57.71
    Ravindra        72.50
    Williamson     39.66
    Mitchell          50.33
    Phillips           27.66
    Latham           50.08

Total              297.94

SA in India:

Bavuma           16.75
    De Kock           60.30
    Markram          44.12
    V der Dussen   39.80
    Klassen            60.85
    Miller               41.12

Total               262.94

So our top six is 81 runs worse in India than in England and worse by 93 than NZ and by 57 than SA in India (had I used Hendricks instead of Bavuma then we would have been worse by 84). Buttler, from no small sample, has batted 14 times in ODIs in India, scoring 178 runs in total with a top score of 43 and as average of 14.83. That is appalling. And he is our captain. 
  • Options
    There is something very seriously wrong here.We can blame the preparation and the coach but these players should have more about them to simply fold the way they have .I am sure it will all come out but these very players obviously weren't reincentivised by their new contracts to perform. I don't mind if they lose but for gods sake apply yourself and give yourself a chance...its your country on the biggest stage .I emphasise that there is something very badly wrong. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

NZ players have taken part, on average, in 20 ODIs in the previous 12 months as opposed to our 5. That is a 15 innings difference - and not just from the perspective of finding form and understanding the nuances of 50 over cricket but also as a guide to squad selection. We played 83 ODIs in the four year run to the 2019 WC. This time we played 42 with many of this squad unavailable for one reason or another. The Metro Bank was an alternative way of preparation that was utlised by England players in 2019 when it was The Royal Insurance. We shunned that too. And to say NZ didn't play in the Metro Bank is a wrong comparison for two reasons - one because NZ batsmen had batted on average that 15 extra times but the other is that I've never heard of a country not giving themselves the best chance to win a WC. It's like saying that we have the best facilities but let's go and train at some village club to level the playing field against some of the lesser countries who do not enjoy the quality of our facilities! And those England players did play in the Royal in 2019. If it was good enough then, it should have been good enough now.

Anyway, let's compare England's top six career in ODIs, in England and in India and then against the likes of NZ and SA in India:

England in England:

Malan           69.00
    Bairstow       49.94
    Root             46.37
    Stokes          45.50
    Buttler          42.83
    Livingstone   33.63

Total            287.30 

England in India:

Malan           47.66
    Bairstow       34.69
    Root             47.00
    Stokes          43.28
    Buttler          14.83
    Livingstone   18.80

Total             206.26

NZ in India:

Conway         57.71
    Ravindra        72.50
    Williamson     39.66
    Mitchell          50.33
    Phillips           27.66
    Latham           50.08

SA in India:

Bavuma           16.75
    De Kock           60.30
    Markram          44.12
    V der Dussen   39.80
    Klassen            60.85

So our top six is 81 runs worse in India than in England and worse by 93 than NZ and by 57 than SA in India (had I used Hendricks instead of Bavuma then we would have been worse by 84). Buttler, from no small sample, has batted 14 times in ODIs in India, scoring 178 runs in total with a top score of 43 and as average of 14.83. That is appalling. And he is our captain. 
    Forget about all the whataboutary and hindsight if you were the England captain/coach/selector would you not have picked Buttler for the world cup?  Honestly.

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

England in England:

Malan           69.00
    Bairstow       49.94
    Root             46.37
    Stokes          45.50
    Buttler          42.83
    Livingstone   33.63

Total            287.30 

England in India:

Malan           47.66
    Bairstow       34.69
    Root             47.00
    Stokes          43.28
    Buttler          14.83
    Livingstone   18.80

Total             206.26

NZ in India:

Conway         57.71
    Ravindra        72.50
    Williamson     39.66
    Mitchell          50.33
    Phillips           27.66
    Latham           50.08

SA in India:

Bavuma           16.75
    De Kock           60.30
    Markram          44.12
    V der Dussen   39.80
    Klassen            60.85

Forget about all the whataboutary and hindsight if you were the England captain/coach/selector would you not have picked Buttler for the world cup?  Honestly.

Of course you would. Just as the same as you would have taken most of that squad. 

We haven’t just lost these games we have been slaughtered in most of them. 

No matter how much you look at the stats, and a lack of 50 over internationals recently,  the underlying reason we have lost is that players haven’t turned up at all. 

The truth will come out sooner or later. 

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

England in England:

Malan           69.00
    Bairstow       49.94
    Root             46.37
    Stokes          45.50
    Buttler          42.83
    Livingstone   33.63

Total            287.30 

England in India:

Malan           47.66
    Bairstow       34.69
    Root             47.00
    Stokes          43.28
    Buttler          14.83
    Livingstone   18.80

Total             206.26

NZ in India:

Conway         57.71
    Ravindra        72.50
    Williamson     39.66
    Mitchell          50.33
    Phillips           27.66
    Latham           50.08

SA in India:

Bavuma           16.75
    De Kock           60.30
    Markram          44.12
    V der Dussen   39.80
    Klassen            60.85

Of course I would but people are shocked that we are doing so badly in India and Buttler is one of the contributory factors. But I also said when he got the captaincy that I wouldn't have given it to him as I was worried about it affecting his keeping and hoping that his batting would still be strong. I had no idea how good a captain he was going to be because he had no pedigree whatsoever as a skipper. And his decision making at times here has been shocking. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

England in England:

Malan           69.00
    Bairstow       49.94
    Root             46.37
    Stokes          45.50
    Buttler          42.83
    Livingstone   33.63

Total            287.30 

England in India:

Malan           47.66
    Bairstow       34.69
    Root             47.00
    Stokes          43.28
    Buttler          14.83
    Livingstone   18.80

Total             206.26

NZ in India:

Conway         57.71
    Ravindra        72.50
    Williamson     39.66
    Mitchell          50.33
    Phillips           27.66
    Latham           50.08

SA in India:

Bavuma           16.75
    De Kock           60.30
    Markram          44.12
    V der Dussen   39.80
    Klassen            60.85

Of course I would but people are shocked that we are doing so badly in India and Buttler is one of the contributory factors. But I also said when he got the captaincy that I wouldn't have given it to him as I was worried about it affecting his keeping and hoping that his batting would still be strong. I had no idea how good a captain he was going to be because he had no pedigree whatsoever as a skipper. And his decision making at times here has been shocking. 
    I asked without any whataboutary.

Buttler's captaincy, or lack of, isn't the reason arguably the best line and length bowler England have is missing his line and length by meters and England's best batsman doesn't look like he can score a run.

As @billysboots says you would pick at least 7 of 8 of the players England picked regardless of any 50 over form because they are undoubtedly our best players.

The big question now is do they throw the baby out with the bath water and give dad's army a chance for redemption in the t20 world cup or do we go all out for the next 50 over world cup.

Without looking it up I don't think anyone that played today is under 30.  Lack of understanding of the formate isn't an excuse.